If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

See How the 4 Heroes Do Battle

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited October 2010 in Latest Updates
The 4 Heroes of Light may have been created in the spirit of the older Final Fantasy games, but the battle system is entirely its own. Learn how it works in this trailer.

Comments

• Sui-kunSui-kun Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    This battle system reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII's battle system.

But I like the battle theme. :o It's very peppy.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited September 2010
    That battle music already annoys me.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    It seems too basic and Mystic-questy to me, but maybe that's just me.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I'm looking forward to this, especially if the multiplayer aspect is at all similar to DQ9's.

Edit: I think I might be the only person who enjoyed Mystic Quest. I played that game to death, it was the first rpg I played that didn't have random encounters and visually showed enemies weakening when they were low on health. I've used it a couple times to introduce people to rpgs, and it's worked pretty well for that :).
  • scorpioscorpio Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Yeah looks like this one is gonna be skipped by me. I've been wanting to like it, but the graphics, music, and now combat system, just all seem too childish for myself. I'm sure it'll be great for others... just simply not for me.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2010
    This does look like it's going to be "My First JRPG" which might work as a good intro to the concepts. The trailer seemed very tutorialish to me, although the combat system does seem a little bit like Chrono Cross and FFXIII's for some reason. The music is a weird combination of modern instrumentation with 8-bit synth. Weird.

I wonder if the simplified battle system was done to keep things flowing during multiplayer? Turn based multiplayer is kinda irritating if you have people with different skill levels for the faster people, so maybe it's designed with that in mind?

This game seems weird and I don't know what to make of it. I'm probably going to wait on reviews before deciding if this is worth getting.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I was interested in this game until I heard about it being multplayer. That aspect of the title is giving me pause as I prefer my RPG's to be solo experiences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Hmmm, I like the look of it. The game in full motion is so much more attractive than the stills as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • VOXanationVOXanation New Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    It looks more interesting than the previous entries, at least.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Well iv already got mine pre-ordered
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • ZbornakZbornak Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    There was an interesting article on the game in Nintendo Power a few months back. Although the game may appear along the lines of Mystic Quest or a beginner RPG, it's not that at all. The game is a throwback to early RPGs with a focus on gameplay rather than story, difficult enemies, required exploration (as opposed to being told exactly where to go next), and the lack of modern niceties like automaps and unlimited inventories. The director of 4HoL also directed the original Final Fantasy IV. Whereas that game was one of the first to have a major focus on story, 4HoL is supposed to be revolutionary in how it eschews many modern RPG staples.

As for the multiplayer, it looks to be completely superfluous. The game is a full single-player game that you can also play with other people controlling your party members.
    Get your Portable ID!
    edited September 2010
    Zbornak said:
    There was an interesting article on the game in Nintendo Power a few months back. Although the game may appear along the lines of Mystic Quest or a beginner RPG, it's not that at all. The game is a throwback to early RPGs with a focus on gameplay rather than story, difficult enemies, required exploration (as opposed to being told exactly where to go next), and the lack of modern niceties like automaps and unlimited inventories. The director of 4HoL also directed the original Final Fantasy IV. Whereas that game was one of the first to have a major focus on story, 4HoL is supposed to be revolutionary in how it eschews many modern RPG staples.

As for the multiplayer, it looks to be completely superfluous. The game is a full single-player game that you can also play with other people controlling your party members.

Grrr... trying to make me play a game i've already dimissed. LOL... maybe I will get it.... doesn't take much to convince me to at least "try" a final fantasy titled game.
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited September 2010
    For all the people saying this looks like a simplistic, kiddie battle system: it's not. The graphics and goofy tutorial trailer probably aren't helping, but the trailer needs to be tutorialish or people are going to be pissed off when they grab this game. And even then, this battle system is going to throw people because it's not what they're expecting at all (and that, of course, makes people mad).

It's...uh, nothing like Chrono Cross. And absolutely nothing like Final Fantasy XIII. From someone who's beaten both this and FFXIII.

This is one that requires more strategy and forethought than some other systems because it lacks a targeting system. You don't get to pick your targets, and each ability has its own built in "rules" (as the trailer puts it) about who gets targeted and when. Each character gets only a few spells or skills, regardless of what class they are. Even a Black Mage can't equip all the black spells at once, for example. Any character can use any spell in any class (as long as you have it), but you've only got 24 slots at most when the whole party's potential is pooled together, and often characters are solo or in pairs. You need select attacks in the right order, and balance how many Action Points you're using and when you forgo doing anything in favor of charging those points. You can only store five action points, and heavy hitters like Meteor will cost four. It can get intensely strategic, honestly.

Job Crowns don't work the way other job systems do. People have complained that the game forces players to use specific jobs throughout the game, but those are people who are stuck in preconceptions about how those jobs should behave because of other Final Fantasy games. Drop those preconceptions. Give your White Mage a sword. Toss your Monk a Black spell. The customization is very flexible.

EDIT: And the game can be a completely solo experience. There is multiplayer, but it is, as somebody mentioned, superfluous. To say "it's a multiplayer game" is wrong.
  • xaviersaintxaviersaint The Old Guy That's New... Full Members
    edited September 2010
    That seems a little odd for my tastes. Definitely not what you'd call a fan of it. I'm all for experimenting with Battle Systems, Level Up Systems, etc. but Square Enix might want to reign themselves in just a bit in the future.
    Stay Or Shop? - Your friendly cat salesman, Secret Of Mana
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I happen to think they should experiment as much as possible. This is especially true with titles of this nature as their budget will be nowhere near what a console game would be so if the experiment turns out to be a failure, they won't take a huge loss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited September 2010
    @Rage
    I like most of the things I have read about this game, but not being able to target your enemies the way you want sounds frustrating. Could you share your opinion on that?
    edited September 2010
    MonCapitan2002 said:
    I was interested in this game until I heard about it being multplayer. That aspect of the title is giving me pause as I prefer my RPG's to be solo experiences.

It's not fully MP afaik. You can play the game solo I think.
    edited September 2010
    You better be able to play the game solo. It would be ridiculous otherwise!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    The multiplayer is completely optional
    edited September 2010
    Cannot target specific enemies? That sounds terrible.... hopefully they aren't being too experimental like that awful "unlimited saga" game.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    scorpio said:
    Cannot target specific enemies? That sounds terrible.... hopefully they aren't being too experimental like that awful "unlimited saga" game.

Everything I've seen of the game so far is the exact opposite of experimental. It all looks to be old school Final Fantasy, which is fine by me. Not being able to target specific enemies isn't necessarily a bad thing.

And you shut up about Unlimited Saga!
  • Sui-kunSui-kun Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I don't think not being to target enemies is necessarily a bad thing either. Maybe the battle system isn't designed to promote such a thing? Maybe you need to think and strategize more because of it? Maybe not being able to choose makes it fun? It's just a different battle system that you need to adapt to, which is the case (should be the case) for a lot of games.
    edited September 2010
    nim22ama said:
    @Rage
    I like most of the things I have read about this game, but not being able to target your enemies the way you want sounds frustrating. Could you share your opinion on that?
    It streamlines the experience by cutting the button presses or stylus taps in half. The "rules" usually work pretty well. For every one time that it messes you up, there are about 100 times that it speeds things up and makes the battles go way faster.
    Getting used to it requires letting go of some of that control freakiness that we've become used to in common RPGs. You just have to let go. Battles can still work, even if you don't manually select the target.
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Apparently I need to say again: you can definitely finish the game solo. I did.
    Sui-kun said:
    I don't think not being to target enemies is necessarily a bad thing either. Maybe the battle system isn't designed to promote such a thing? Maybe you need to think and strategize more because of it? Maybe not being able to choose makes it fun? It's just a different battle system that you need to adapt to, which is the case (should be the case) for a lot of games.
    Yes.
    The game is not perfect, but the targeting system isn't a big problem with it.
    Wheels said:
    Everything I've seen of the game so far is the exact opposite of experimental. It all looks to be old school Final Fantasy, which is fine by me.
    No.
    Not at all.
    It includes many nods to Final Fantasy, and it gives off that sort of vibe, but the battle system is almost nothing like "old school Final Fantasy," which is why it'll be pretty divisive.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Have you played Riviera: the Promised Land, Rage? If so, would you say the targeting system in 4 Heroes is similar to that game's? There was no manual targeting in Riviera either, instead who you hit was dependant on who was using the weapon/item/skill, where she/he was positioned, and how the enemies were positioned. For example, the main character using a broadsword would always hit the closest enemy in the front row: if he was positioned on left he would hit the front enemy on the left unless there no enemy there, in which case it switch to the centre-front, then to the right-front. Meanwhile another character using a bow would always target the farthest enemy in the back row, a character using a rod would always heal the character with the least HP, etc.
    edited September 2010
    Jungyin said:
    Have you played Riviera: the Promised Land, Rage? If so, would you say the targeting system in 4 Heroes is similar to that game's? There was no manual targeting in Riviera either, instead who you hit was dependant on who was using the weapon/item/skill, where she/he was positioned, and how the enemies were positioned. For example, the main character using a broadsword would always hit the closest enemy in the front row: if he was positioned on left he would hit the front enemy on the left unless there no enemy there, in which case it switch to the centre-front, then to the right-front. Meanwhile another character using a bow would always target the farthest enemy in the back row, a character using a rod would always heal the character with the least HP, etc.
    I played Riviera a bit, back when it was new. Fuzzy memories but...
    It IS a bit similar in some ways. The type of weapon does have an effect, as bows will hit to the back row and such. This idea is also applied to every skill, every spell, every item, and so on.

The *player* characters' physical location in battle doesn't matter, but the enemy's does.
    edited September 2010
    Not being able to target specific enemies sounds awful. Is there confirmation of this feature?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

edited September 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Not being able to target specific enemies sounds awful. Is there confirmation of this feature?
    I'm asking this nicely: do you read the posts of others before you reply?
    Because my post just 3 places above yours talks at length about not being able to target specific enemies. And it's been well established that I've beaten the game. It's part of the system; there's no option to turn this off. I'm curious as to what more you're looking for.

Previously, you said
    When again, it was established in posts not far above your own that it's primarily a solo game.

You gotta up your forum game, son! :wink:
    edited September 2010
    I think he might be asking if you get to see who the attack/skill will target before you confirm it.
    edited September 2010
    shoptroll said:
    I think he might be asking if you get to see who the attack/skill will target before you confirm it.

Actually, this is what I was getting at. My apologies, I can see why your forum name is rage. Relax dude. Seriously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

edited September 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Actually, this is what I was getting at. My apologies, I can see why your forum name is rage. Relax dude. Seriously.
    ?
    Rage said:
    I'm asking this nicely:
    Rage said:
    :wink:
    Yes, clearly I am out of control. :laugh: