If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of the Abyss Ventures to Third Dimension

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited October 2010 in Latest Updates
Who needs the third dimension? Apparently Luke and Tear do. They will be showing up on Nintendo's new handheld.

Story
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm
«13

Comments

  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Thats.... really random!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    www.powerlinemag.com

    "I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Might this mean Europe finally gets Tales of the Abyss?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited September 2010
    Wow indeed!

    Unfortunately, with Namco-Bandai track record of releasing both DS Tales game and remakes/ports of Tales games outside of Japan, I'll likely never play this in English on the 3DS. :P Here's hoping those rumors about the system being region-locked aren't true. . .
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Wouldn't Tales of Symphonia have made more sense? That seems to be the one that everyone loves.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Wow indeed!

    Unfortunately, with Namco-Bandai track record of releasing both DS Tales game and remakes/ports of Tales games outside of Japan, I'll likely never play this in English on the 3DS. :P Here's hoping those rumors about the system being region-locked aren't true. . .
    Well you can't really just call it a track record, you have to look at each game individually. Symphonia Nintendo was probably involved with, and that probably prevented the PS2 version from coming here. Perhaps the same is true for Vesperia, or maybe it just didn't sell. The DS games chances probably weren't helped by an over-saturated RPG market on DS, but Abyss could be the big early RPG on the system before any others come out, and then could help it's chances of coming here.
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    Wouldn't Tales of Symphonia have made more sense? That seems to be the one that everyone loves.

    For what it's worth, I like Abyss far more, and on several other RPG and/or fan sites the vote could go either way. It's probably the game I've replayed the most since FF4 and still love it.

    Symphonia did sell far better though, but that had other factors in its favor.

    I've also seen the quote about how Abyss sold terribly in the U.S. and that's (possibly) one reason they are anxious about localizing other games, but to be fair it did release with anticipation for FF12 two weeks later at a fever pitch and on a system with several RPGs already. Tales of Legendia was still pretty fresh too when Abyss came out, only 8 months old, and we've seen how divisive that game was and may have turned off some buyers to the next game, or even "Tales" burnout.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Omigod need!

    Would be soooooo cool to play my favorite game on the go.
    image
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    If Namco Bandai can add more stuff, I may get it. Like some extra characters to play as or extra scenarios. I already played the heck out of the PS2 version.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    Wouldn't Tales of Symphonia have made more sense? That seems to be the one that everyone loves.

    I was thinking the same thing, myself. It was a much better game in almost every respect, and the visuals hold up much better - though, I wonder how good cel-shading would look in 3D? The whole point of cel-shading is to produce a 2D appearance. Kinda contradictory. That might be why they chose Abyss - it wasn't cel-shaded.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I'm all for this. The original suffered from truly game-breaking load times. If they can remake this to almost look and sound as good as the original and eliminate the load times, it'll be a great game.
    thanks for reading
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited September 2010
    ...Actually... Since it'll be on a cartridge, load times may vanish.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    omegabyte said:
    I was thinking the same thing, myself. It was a much better game in almost every respect
    Quiet you! :P
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited September 2010
    Wheels said:
    Well you can't really just call it a track record, you have to look at each game individually. Symphonia Nintendo was probably involved with, and that probably prevented the PS2 version from coming here. Perhaps the same is true for Vesperia, or maybe it just didn't sell. The DS games chances probably weren't helped by an over-saturated RPG market on DS, but Abyss could be the big early RPG on the system before any others come out, and then could help it's chances of coming here.
    Well, they do have the game already translated and dubbed, so there's no need to redo that. There's hope yet for this game.
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Miyosaka said:
    I'm all for this. The original suffered from truly game-breaking load times. If they can remake this to almost look and sound as good as the original and eliminate the load times, it'll be a great game.

    It didn't have load times any worse than your average PS2 game, I'm guess your point of comparison is Symphonia?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Well, they do have the game already translated and dubbed, so there's no need to redo that. There's hope yet for this game.

    I agree! Namco will be wanted some games on the system over here, and I'm sure it will be RPG starved at launch. Unlike the DS Tales games I think the climate is right for it. We shall see though!
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2010
    Why anyone would want to play Tales of Symphonia after playing a newer Tales game is beyond me. Yes, ToS was nice when it was released, especially considering it was on the GC, which desperately needed some RPG love. Take off your rose-tinted glasses, however, and ToS is hardly impressive. The first half of the story a shameless, dumbed-down FFX ripoff, and the second half is a cluster**** of poorly done twists, and the character development is just terrible and predictable throughout. I'm not saying TotA was much better, but it certainly was a little better. It was actually funny at times, and the dialogue, while nothing exceptional most of the time, wasn't exactly an ominous light that threatened to engulf me, either. And more importantly, TotA's gameplay is essentially just a significantly improved version of ToS'. That leaves only the music, which is obviously subjective, but even if you prefer ToS in this area, it's hardly better than TotA by a wide margin. So, really, where does the ToS-love stem from? I don't get it. My guess would be most of it comes from people who, during the last generation of consoles, only owned a GC and by virtue of that simply weren't aware that if you looked beyond the GC's meager RPG library, you would find a wealth of RPGs that completely dwarf ToS in most aspects. I guess that's also why it's still held in such high regards today even though TotA, which was equally loved by fans at the time, is now receiving a fair amount of critique on most forums.

    That being said, I don't really care about this game either. I played both ToS and TotA twice, I enjoyed both, they were fine, now can we move on? It would be an insult if they localize this but pass up the newer titles like ToVPS3 and Tales of Graces F. And knowing Namco, that's probably what they'll do.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Actually, TOS is an excellent game, without rose tinted glasses. I pulled it out a few months ago for the Tales marathon (silently, and only logged around seven hours) and loved it. Say I didn't, punk!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    www.powerlinemag.com

    "I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I think what they noticed here is that Symphonia is outdated even by the standards set by Tales of the Abyss. Whatever you want to say is fun about the Tales games, most of your time will be spent in battles and finding ways to augment your battle strength, with the rest of your time filled in by story. Now I'm just going to skip over any judgments regarding the plots of either game, but when it comes to the battle system Tales of the Abyss takes the cake and then holds it over Symphonia's head while it jumps for a sweet taste of frosting. I'd much rather be rolling with the streamlined and significantly more fun battle system from Abyss than ignoring Lloyd's and Colette's every word in between battles where you can't even free-run.
    image
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Maybe they want to do a full on Symphonia remake at some point and are just using this direct port as a quick cash-in?
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    I dunno, I found the Abyss combat system to be a bit clunky to control. I thought Vesperia did it better... it was easier to move around the battlefield and a lot easier to do awesome combos like in Symphonia.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Wheels said:
    Maybe they want to do a full on Symphonia remake at some point and are just using this direct port as a quick cash-in?

    Probably not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    www.powerlinemag.com

    "I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Actually, TOS is an excellent game, without rose tinted glasses. I pulled it out a few months ago for the Tales marathon (silently, and only logged around seven hours) and loved it. Say I didn't, punk!

    Clearly, what happened is that you took off the rose-tinted glasses, but forgot to take out the rose-tinted contact lenses. :D
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Probably not.

    I disagree
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2010
    I'd say it's rather early to be remaking Gamecube titles. At best, and this seems highly unlikely, we'd get a HD port. Speaking of HD ports, Shadow of the Colossus is gonna be baller in HD.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    HJ+ said:
    Why anyone would want to play Tales of Symphonia after playing a newer Tales game is beyond me. Yes, ToS was nice when it was released, especially considering it was on the GC, which desperately needed some RPG love. Take off your rose-tinted glasses, however, and ToS is hardly impressive. The first half of the story a shameless, dumbed-down FFX ripoff, and the second half is a cluster**** of poorly done twists, and the character development is just terrible and predictable throughout. I'm not saying TotA was much better, but it certainly was a little better. It was actually funny at times, and the dialogue, while nothing exceptional most of the time, wasn't exactly an ominous light that threatened to engulf me, either. And more importantly, TotA's gameplay is essentially just a significantly improved version of ToS'. That leaves only the music, which is obviously subjective, but even if you prefer ToS in this area, it's hardly better than TotA by a wide margin. So, really, where does the ToS-love stem from? I don't get it. My guess would be most of it comes from people who, during the last generation of consoles, only owned a GC and by virtue of that simply weren't aware that if you looked beyond the GC's meager RPG library, you would find a wealth of RPGs that completely dwarf ToS in most aspects. I guess that's also why it's still held in such high regards today even though TotA, which was equally loved by fans at the time, is now receiving a fair amount of critique on most forums.

    That being said, I don't really care about this game either. I played both ToS and TotA twice, I enjoyed both, they were fine, now can we move on? It would be an insult if they localize this but pass up the newer titles like ToVPS3 and Tales of Graces F. And knowing Namco, that's probably what they'll do.

    I have literally played every Tales game this year up to Tales of the World (that's October's game). And I can say without a moment of hesitation that Symphonia was much better than Abyss. And actually, it has terrible, terrible load-times and framerate problems. They are MUCH worse than your average PS2 RPG. You can even compare them to Tales of Legendia and they're much worse.

    ToS had MUCH better visuals, was better from a technical standpoint on every level, a more fluid and responsive combat system, better pacing, and an extremely good story - I will give you that Abyss's was better, but not by a wide margin. And I say this having played Symphonia in July, Legendia in August, and Abyss in September.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2010
    Well it has been a while since I played either, but I completed both the games twice, and I can say that Abyss was much better than Symphonia. Abyss' combat system feels fluid and responsive enough that I could hardly tell the difference, and even if it's a tiny bit worse than Symphonia in this aspect, it has other stuff like FoF, more mystic artes and free run to make up for it. As I recall it, you spend a massive amount of time running around fetching summons in Symphonia and looking up random people who might know something about Colette's terrible illness and just so happen to live deep inside an obnoxious dungeon. Of course, you run around activating those... glyphs or whatever in TotA and other nonsense like that, so I wouldn't say it's any better. Both games honestly have pretty terrible pacing.

    I will gladly concede technical aspects like loading times and such, but that only serves to strengthen my point. If Symphonia is already perfectly acceptable in these regards while Abyss isn't, but has the upper hand elsewhere, then it logically follows that Abyss would benefit far more from a re-release on a new system where they could add some technical improvements.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    HJ+ said:
    Well it has been a while since I played either, but I completed both the games twice, and I can say that Abyss was much better than Symphonia. Abyss' combat system feels fluid and responsive enough that I could hardly tell the difference, and even if it's a tiny bit worse than Symphonia in this aspect, it has other stuff like FoF, more mystic artes and free run to make up for it. As I recall it, you spend a massive amount of time running around fetching summons in Symphonia and looking up random people who might know something about Colette's terrible illness and just so happen to live deep inside an obnoxious dungeon. Of course, you run around activating those... glyphs or whatever in TotA and other nonsense like that, so I wouldn't say it's any better. Both games honestly have pretty terrible pacing.

    I will gladly concede technical aspects like loading times and such, but that only serves to strengthen my point. If Symphonia is already perfectly acceptable in these regards while Abyss isn't, but has the upper hand elsewhere, then it logically follows that Abyss would benefit far more from a re-release on a new system where they could add some technical improvements.

    Though it might be beneficial to the game, it wouldn't necessarily be beneficial to Namco. To date, no Tales game has sold as well as Symphonia. It has the most fans, and is the one that would sell the best should it be rereleased. Honestly though, it's really too early to rerelease either of them. Abyss was only released in 2006, Symphonia in 2004. If it were a high-def PS3 port I could understand it (and even get behind it), but a 3DS version just seems like a bizarre choice. Honestly, I doubt the 3DS's capabilities are significant enough to be able to handle a port of Abyss any better than the PS2 did anyways. It might fix the load times being on a non-disc media, but that won't do a thing for the framerate problems on the world map.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2010
    Symphonia is also the only game to get some manner of marketing, and it wasn't released alongside FFXII. If they marketed Abyss properly this time around, I bet a lot of people would buy it, especially if they managed to get it out before the other good RPGs like Kingdom Hearts 3D and Paper Mario come pouring in. The same could be said for Symphonia, though, so I suppose that's a somewhat moot point. And knowing Namco, they would actually release the game alongside those games. I would kinda like that though, to see how Symphonia stands up if it got the odds stacked against it as much as Abyss did.

    I recall hearing the 3DS has more horsepower than a PS2, so if they bothered to optimize it properly for the 3DS, I bet it could run properly, but who knows? I'm not very knowledgeable about that kind of thing.
  • Jardin17Jardin17 New Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Personally, I thought Abyss was much weaker. I didn't like any of the cast member (except maybe Jade) and the storyline was so repetitive I wanted to die. They had you bouncing around from area to area incessantly it was just annoying and in a span of upwards of 10 hours very little happens.

    It's just not a world I'd like to revisit.

    They should have ported Vesperia so those who missed out on the XBOX and PS3 versions could play it! :P
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Jardin17 said:
    Personally, I thought Abyss was much weaker. I didn't like any of the cast member (except maybe Jade) and the storyline was so repetitive I wanted to die. They had you bouncing around from area to area incessantly it was just annoying and in a span of upwards of 10 hours very little happens.

    It's just not a world I'd like to revisit.

    They should have ported Vesperia so those who missed out on the XBOX and PS3 versions could play it! :P

    If they could port Vesperia to the 3DS, I would hail Namco as game programming Gods. That would be one hell of a feat.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
Sign In or Register to comment.