If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 3rd Birthday TGS Trailer Features Angst and Tentacles

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited October 2010 in Latest Updates
Angst and tentacles, what more could you want? Perhaps guns, naked spirit forms, Bride Aya, and spiders? This trailer has it all.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    *Yawns* ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, probably would have been a shoo-in for GOTY in 1998.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Well I happen to think the game looks like it could be a good deal of fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    I have no particular opinion of this game, but it certainly is more advanced in terms of graphics and gameplay than something from the late '90s. :-p
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2010
    In terms of graphics, maybe.
  • TeluinTeluin Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I wanna play it, but I ain't buying a PSP.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    *Yawns* ...

Yeah, the most recent impression I read on Joystiq or Dtoid didn't give me high hopes for this.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited October 2010
    It's DoC reskinned as Parasite Eve + nakedness. Also, its scenario is being penned by Motomu Toriyama (FFXIII, Revenant Wings), which gives a fair indication of the quality narrative we may expect.
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Looks like Eve can summon Octopi at will now, huh? This is getting too strange for words. ~_^ Looks sweet though. Hey, they're paying homage to Ultros! ^_^ That mad octopi is getting everywhere! Aya's looking better than ever too. I can't wait to play this! When are the other two coming? I thought I'd heard that they were coming in some form or another. It would be sweet to see them get HD-treatment. Please don't tell me this will be a Japan-only release... Please SE let us HAVE this.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    It's DoC reskinned as Parasite Eve + nakedness. Also, its scenario is being penned by Motomu Toriyama (FFXIII, Revenant Wings), which gives a fair indication of the quality narrative we may expect.

So better than FFXII then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited October 2010
    Nope, worse. Much worse.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I have to say XII really didn't seem to have much on it's story making sense. But then again, neither did VIII's either. Some people still regard it one of the best ones. I'm not one of them, but at least someone does. What was it with VIII? It just didn't work right. To me it didn't anyway.
    edited October 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    Nope, worse. Much worse.

How so? I haven't played through XII that far but from what I could tell, there was a solid story... unless it got much worse after the middle of it.
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't talking about XII, though that narrative does fall well short of what it should have been. No, I was talking about Revenant Wings and FFXIII, both written by Motomu Toriyama, one middle of the road, the other terrible.
    edited October 2010
    Ah... I get it now. Thanks for clarifying that. I'd actually prefer it if they just kept Third Birthday in Japanese and then just translate what they were saying... similarly to how they did the first game. I'd hate for them to dub it badly and give us something that ruins the game. As good as Arc Rise looks, the horrible dubbing killed it. ~_~ We ARE getting this aren't we?
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Lot of moaning and gasping from Aya in that trailer... :Oo:

Gotta say I agree with Noob on this one. Looking totally average at best. :withstupid:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    reionpremente said:
    Looks like Eve can summon Octopi at will now, huh? This is getting too strange for words. ~_^ Looks sweet though. Hey, they're paying homage to Ultros! ^_^ That mad octopi is getting everywhere! Aya's looking better than ever too. I can't wait to play this! When are the other two coming? I thought I'd heard that they were coming in some form or another. It would be sweet to see them get HD-treatment. Please don't tell me this will be a Japan-only release... Please SE let us HAVE this.

The 3rd Birthday has been announced for North America (at E3, I believe).
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Geez, the graphics look pretty good to me for a handheld! Just not sure if I want to get a PSP for this though. If I had one I'd give it a go - I loved the first two games despite their flaws.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    Nope, worse. Much worse.

I quite enjoyed FFXIII's story, especially when compared to FFVIII or FFXII.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I really dislike S-E's "Picture in a distorted picture" Trailers they always seem to do... Mostly with hand held titles.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited October 2010
    Every time without fail!
  • VncentValntineVncentValntine Pretty much... Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I find the gameplay to look moderately enjoyable, the part that REALLY irks me about that trailer in particular (and most likely the whole game as well) is that Aya acts so damn helpless. This game is a hell of a lot more Japanese than the first one, as far as character stereotypes go, and I don't like that. I would have thought Aya to be battle hardened by now, nothing should phase her mentally/psychologically anymore, but throughout the trailer she always had this "whats happening/please help me/please you guys, don't fight" look to her face, and was really contrasting the way she acted during battle.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I was wondering what the hell it was about Aya.... She always seemed introverted in the previous two games, but she never looked incapable. For a company trying to make inroads in the west, they seem to be going in the absolute wrong direction with this one.

Well, that and the fact that she looks even younger than she did in 2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Part that bugs me is that it throws out most of the "Parasite Eve"-ness, and just goes with completely new stuff. It's more like a movie reboot (keeping the name & main character's name) and not a third in a series.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Ocelot said:
    The 3rd Birthday has been announced for North America (at E3, I believe).

I still put my money on them adding the Parasite Eve moniker to the title before it hits the states.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    I still put my money on them adding the Parasite Eve moniker to the title before it hits the states.

I dunno. They changed the name because they lost the rights to the franchise in the years between 3rd Birthday and PE2. Aya is their property apparently which is why they still get to use her.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    shoptroll said:
    I dunno. They changed the name because they lost the rights to the franchise in the years between 3rd Birthday and PE2. Aya is their property apparently which is why they still get to use her.

Ahhh... a little tidbit I was not aware of. I thought they'd do what they did with The Four Heroes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief