If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 26 - Symphonia's Phantastic Eternal Destiny

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited October 2010 in Latest Updates
Today, the Tales series gets a lot of time under the spotlight. In exchange for giving each game some quality time, we didn't even attempt to chronicle the entirety of the series, so rejoice in our deep dissections.
Tales games - but not all
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs A Familiar Teacher Administrators
    edited October 2010
    Wow, has two weeks gone by already? Not on iTunes I see. . .well I'll just download it and comment some more once I'm done.
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited October 2010
    It should be on iTunes, but was out of order. We've updated the feed that iTunes pulls from, but not sure how long it takes them to update. If you don't subscribe via iTunes, just scroll to the bottom of the episode list.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I find it hilarious that Anna's first appearance on the backtrack is talking about Tales games, considering she's on record with the rest of RPGCast as disliking them. Wonders never cease.

Oh, and boobs.

As to Grandia, I must say that I've always loved the series' music, but at the same time, the story was really only great in Grandia II, Ninja Turtle Ryudo aside. That's probably because of the excellent localization Ubisoft ponied up for, which the series didn't have with 1 or 3. Not sure about Xtreme, but as that was pre-merger Enix, I have my doubts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • jcservantjcservant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Anna not like the Tales series? GET OUT. I certainly did not get that impression. /sarcasm

As far as two weeks....naaa...it hasn't been two weeks. But it took me almost a week to edit the last show. This time, I was able to hammer it out before I went to bed. So, basically, we're just catching up.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Hey I hear a rumor that Tales of the Abyss is better than Symphonia?
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Wheels said:
    Hey I hear a rumor that Tales of the Abyss is better than Symphonia?

You're just ASKING for it, aren't ya? :)
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    I was there to balance out Adriaan. There had to be someone who didn't like them at all, or it'd just be a big love-in!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Paws said:
    I was there to balance out Adriaan. There had to be someone who didn't like them at all, or it'd just be a big love-in!
    Heh heh, this is why I'm on the lineup for the Final Fantaxy X show. :D
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited October 2010
    Ocelot said:
    Heh heh, this is why I'm on the lineup for the Final Fantaxy X show. :D
    For the love or hate of FFX?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Macstorm said:

There are people that like FFX on the staff?
    edited October 2010
    Clix said:
    There are people that like FFX on the staff?

Right here
    edited October 2010
    Macstorm said:

I be on the hate train. Chooooo choooooo!
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited October 2010
    See, now you're gonna get people excited about something that's not happening soon. Good job, everyone.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited October 2010
    Well fine back on topic, for the love of all that is holy do not purchase Tales of the Tempest
    edited October 2010
    That was an excellent Backtrack! It's already become my most favorite so far. So many people, so much discussion, so much gushing over one of my favorite games, so many laughs. Heck, the beginning skit even had more people than just Mike and Phil. :colgate:

Ha ha, I can just imagine Sheena's reaction to all your gushing over her boobs. And thinking Zelos had something to with it. XD In fact. . .

Sheena: *Runs up and slaps Zelos* Gah! I can't believe you sometimes!

Zelos: Hey ow! What did I do this time?!

Sheena: You know very well what you did! These people won't shut up about my chest!

Zelos: Huh?

Sheena: They keep talking about how much they . . . grrah! Why'd did you do a thing like that?!

Zelos: What makes you think I had anything to do with it?

Sheena: Why else would they be talking about my chest like that? Even the girls are saying how much they--

Zelos: The girls? <3 Ow! Quit hitting me!

Speaking of Sheena's boobs, that line you said was absolutely golden, John. Consider yourself sigged. :D

Huh. . . I'm the only one sending these audio review things, aren't I? I'd figure there'd be at least one other wanting to send for this episode. . .
  • QuinQuin &#12371;&#12428;&#12399;&#12513;&#12479;&#12391;&#12377; RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Speaking of Sheena's boobs, that line you said was absolutely golden, John. Consider yourself sigged. :D
    woot!

Although I had a realization earlier today that I missed a trick by not channeling Dale Winton during the opening skit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited October 2010
    btw Quin's import pick was much better, because his game didn't suck
  • QuinQuin &#12371;&#12428;&#12399;&#12513;&#12479;&#12391;&#12377; RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Wheels said:
    btw Quin's import pick was much better, because his game didn't suck
    :D

By the way, if you've seen how slow original Tales of Destiny moves in battle, watch the remake in action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited October 2010
    Quin said:
    :D

By the way, if you've seen how slow original Tales of Destiny moves in battle, watch the remake in action.

Well now I know where Tales of Hearts' battle system comes from (which just came in the mail yesterday).
    edited October 2010
    Wheels said:
    Well now I know where Tales of Hearts' battle system comes from (which just came in the mail yesterday).

and Tales of Graces appears to use that system as well, if the trailers and screens are any indication.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    I'm a bit surprised that this episode was produced around now. I thought maybe it would be made around November, since that would place Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World within the "Blast From the Recent Past" range. Then again, I don't believe many, if any of the BFtRPs were games that were tied to the main event game/series.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    I'm a bit surprised that this episode was produced around now. I thought maybe it would be made around November, since that would place Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World within the "Blast From the Recent Past" range. Then again, I don't believe many, if any of the BFtRPs were games that were tied to the main event game/series.
    The second half of the Tales series will be covered towards the end of the year. Look forward to it
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited October 2010
    Oh, and yay, someone else who doesn't think Kratos is the best thing since sliced bread! I don't loathe him, but he is my least favorite of the main characters. I don't understand. . .okay, I DO understand his popularity, but the stoic, mysterious types just aren't my thing. There are way better characters, but he's often the one I see fans gush about.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that no one mentioned Raine. :(
    edited October 2010
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Oh, and yay, someone else who doesn't think Kratos is the best thing since sliced bread! I don't loathe him, but he is my least favorite of the main characters. I don't understand. . .okay, I DO understand his popularity, but the stoic, mysterious types just aren't my thing. There are way better characters, but he's often the one I see fans gush about.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that no one mentioned Raine. :(

I don't really like Kratos either. He's a respectable combatant (Especially in Vesperia), and he fills his role in the story very well, but I don't get the fangush either on this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Kratos is annoying
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited October 2010
    My love of Kratos extends solely to his English voice actor.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I'm sorely tempted to listen to this, but I've only just purchased Symphonia and have yet to play it, and so probably shouldn't spoil myself ... :/
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • jcservantjcservant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Spoilerz? On RPGBacktrack? Naaaaaa.... Not US!!!!! :alien:
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, there are some Symphonia spoilers all up ins, including some discussion of the ending, though we don't actually spoil many of the major plot twists, at least not in an obvious way. Oh, right, except one, but it was a stupid one.
    edited October 2010
    If I could offer one bit of advice here. It would be nice if each time you start talking about a new game, instead of just jumping in head first, you offer a little bit of background. When the game was released, what system, etc. That way when you go, "OK, Symphonia. That Sheena really had big'uns, no?" We know what system to dust off.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm