If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Cheap games and whatnot

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Seems nobody mentioned yet that you can get the (Steam-only) Wizardry games via Humble Bundle!
    https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Might be a good overall time to poke around the internet for deals. Both the Humble Store and GOG are doing flash sales on top of larger sales, and sometimes other companies try to stomp on that by offering deals.

Personally, the Humble Store rubs me the wrong way and has become increasingly less humble about how it gives 25 cents to charity when you buy a game, and the GOG flash sales were a bust for me last time, but I'll be paying attention to both when I'm not doing other stuff.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Free Dark Souls next month on XBL!
    edited May 2014
    Weekly Bundle this week includes most of the Divinity and Age of Wonders games.

Also Battle World Kronos is 50% off and fully updated on GoG now (free DLC included):
    http://www.gog.com/game/battle_worlds_kronos
    The game has received quite some criticism because of its bad implementation, but a lot of things have been improved in the meantime.
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    edited May 2014
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Free Dark Souls next month on XBL!

May have to reactivate XBL just to get this. Games with Gold is really stepping up their game lately.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    ghaleon80 wrote: »
    May have to reactivate XBL just to get this. Games with Gold is really stepping up their game lately.
    From what I can tell, they're having to in order to compete with PSN's free games thing.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, the whole "super old game you likely already own/played" thing wasn't working so well.
    edited May 2014
    On a whim, I've spotted SMT: Nocturne going for only $10 on Amazon.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    On a whim, I've spotted SMT: Nocturne going for only $10 on Amazon.
    Not a surprise, since it's now on the PSN.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I love it when the artificial physical copy inflation bubble gets popped due to digital distribution.
    edited May 2014
    You wouldn't love it so much if it affected some overpriced game YOU own. Speaking of which, I gotta figure out what to do with my copy of Suikoden 2.

Still value in those physical copies though.
    edited May 2014
    Bleh, real gamers don't sell their games. :p

Another Star is now 33% off on Desura and IndieGameStand.
  • MarkoftheSivMarkoftheSiv New Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    "Bleh, real gamers don't sell their games".
    I really wish I had adhered to this in retrospect sometimes, but when I think about it, if I havent played a game in 7 years, what are the chances I am going to play it again? But posts like yours make me think I am wrong. I used to horde all my games, but I always ended up dumping them for one reason or another either cash or to sell to a friend. Darn it, I had a good Nes and Snes collection, and the last dumb thing I did was dump my Genesis collection which was of relatively good size for cash. (But i REALLY needed the cash).
    edited May 2014
    I'm a gamer, not a game collector. Experiencing new adventures and vistas of gameplay is more important to me than holding on to some old games that just don't do it for me anymore. Besides, there are some formerly great games I have that I can't stand anymore (old Contra games, or the old Resident Evils), so if they have enormous value I can use to buy new games and consoles, why hoard them? It's not like those discs or consoles last forever, and if I can just acquire a digital version, why not?
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    I'm a gamer, not a game collector. Experiencing new adventures and vistas of gameplay is more important to me than holding on to some old games that just don't do it for me anymore. Besides, there are some formerly great games I have that I can't stand anymore (old Contra games, or the old Resident Evils), so if they have enormous value I can use to buy new games and consoles, why hoard them? It's not like those discs or consoles last forever, and if I can just acquire a digital version, why not?

Heh...I saw your first line and thought, "I'm both." Though, to clarify, I'm a collector that collects a library to own it (Some just collect to sell, hope the value goes up, and resell at a higher price).

I go back and forth at time, but ultimately, if I still own a system, I'm hesitate to sell games I have on it because I have regretted it in on numerous occasions in the past. I agree there are games that haven't aged well, older RE's in particular (IMHO). However, that have been times I have pulled an old game that I haven't played in years, or even altogether. For example, I got a hair up my nose...and thought, "I never beat FFV!" Luckily, I had it in my massive collection. I started playing FFV on the GBA a few months ago...and I'm almost done with that. This weekend I pulled out a WWE game that I bought a while back, and went through the 10 hour or so story mode in one setting. So, I have a lot of games I never beat...or even played...but I like having them on tap so when I do get the hankering to play a particular one, it's right there.

I do agree with you about physical copies. I have sold some high price hard copy version when I saw a PSN/Steam/etc version coming out down the pike :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited May 2014
    Well, I certainly won't get rid of my favourite games especially if there is no digital alternative, but I generally buy and play for the purpose of finding that next great game I love rather than just to play a game, ANY game. I'll let my rental service handle the hoarding and digital re-releases take care of those past greats I may have missed.

And on a whim, I'm checking out some past great console libraries, and DAMN the Saturn had some great games! What the hell Blockbuster? You guys must have shelved like 2% of these games *kicks BB's gravestone*.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah...to clarify (because I wasn't sure if you were implying), I don't have a bunch o' games so I can play any random game. Any game I purchase, I research ahead of time and only buy those games that I'm pretty sure that I will like. However, it isn't until I sit down and play them that I can tell which ones I totally love. But, I do admit that I'm a bit of a hoarder. My Steam profile does not lie :) But I horde games that I believe I would like to play (and I generally get them on good sales).

With that being said, I totally respect (and even admire) those who buy just one game atta time, play the mess out of them and then buy another. I lack that level of self control...at least in terms of games. I do notice that some (though not all) people tend to have one thing that, if money permits, they tend to horde. With my wife, its clothes and shoes (Do you really need a dozen different pairs?). I can wear the same 5-10 sets until they wear out and be happy there.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • RobertHMayfireRobertHMayfire Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I wanted to share with everyone that Enterbrain, makers of RPG Maker, has put their game making software, RPG Maker XP and VX Ace up for charity plus a whole bunch of DLC and popular game made with RPG Maker. You can grab everything for $12. But, it will only last for a week.

Also on Steam, everything RPG Maker is 75% off, but it doesn't make the programs cheaper. What's good about it is all the DLCs are 75% off, including DLC not included in the Humble Bundle deal.
    http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/220700/

So, if you have that RPG story you been wishing to create, but lack programming skill. Then, this is the best week to get cracking.

Personal warning from an old RPG Maker 2000 user. Even though these game makers cut a lot of time that it would usually take to make an RPG game. You will still have to spend a lot of time just to make 1 hour of game play. But, if you are like me that you enjoy level editors and messing around with MS Paint, then you should have fun with RPG Maker. That's the most important part, having fun creating some fun.

Last tip: don't try to make your first game super complex. Try and make a simple game to get a feel using the software.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 2014
    I wanted to share with everyone that Enterbrain, makers of RPG Maker, has put their game making software, RPG Maker XP and VX Ace up for charity plus a whole bunch of DLC and popular game made with RPG Maker. You can grab everything for $12. But, it will only last for a week.

Also on Steam, everything RPG Maker is 75% off, but it doesn't make the programs cheaper. What's good about it is all the DLCs are 75% off, including DLC not included in the Humble Bundle deal.
    http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/220700/

So, if you have that RPG story you been wishing to create, but lack programming skill. Then, this is the best week to get cracking.

Personal warning from an old RPG Maker 2000 user. Even though these game makers cut a lot of time that it would usually take to make an RPG game. You will still have to spend a lot of time just to make 1 hour of game play. But, if you are like me that you enjoy level editors and messing around with MS Paint, then you should have fun with RPG Maker. That's the most important part, having fun creating some fun.

Last tip: don't try to make your first game super complex. Try and make a simple game to get a feel using the software.

This topic is more suitable for the Cheap Games Thread, and has been moved here accordingly. This is the appropriate thread to announce any sort of deals or sales in the future.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah...I just saw the email advertising this one...looks super interesting to me, even though I have VX...just for the extras. If you don't have VX, but you were thinking about it, this is a no-brainer. RPGMaker VX by itself normally costs $70+
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2014
    And on a whim, I'm checking out some past great console libraries, and DAMN the Saturn had some great games! What the hell Blockbuster? You guys must have shelved like 2% of these games *kicks BB's gravestone*.

I don't blame Blockbuster. The "surprise launch" and the lack of games at said launch pissed off lots of retailers, many of whom just refused to do business with Sega after that. Business practices didn't exactly get better under Stolar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited May 2014
    Nah, I saw other stores with way more games than they did. They should have tried harder.

A discussion about cool Saturn games would have been more welcome, mind.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Nah, I saw other stores with way more games than they did. They should have tried harder.

A discussion about cool Saturn games would have been more welcome, mind.

I got a Saturn pretty much at launch, and still have it. And there are several very good games for it. Fighters Megamix and Daytona USA were games that my friends and I would spend hours upon hours on. Working Designs had several fantastic games on there, including (but not limited to) Dragon Force and Iron Storm. The Shining games ranged from decent to outstanding, and I really enjoyed Nights at the time. There just wasn't enough games for it. At least, not ones that were released in the US.

ETA: Almost forgot the Virtua Cop ports. Loved those as well.
    edited June 2014
    Can't say I liked Daytona USA much, but I've never been too fond of racers. Virtua Cop was cool but maybe the blocky polygons turned me off. I preferred House of the Dead and Cryptkiller, but that's probably because I spent many great afternoons playing the game with my step-sister.

Dark Souls is now FREE on XBL!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Playstation Store Flash Sale

Sales

Flash Sale

Title Sale Price Original Price

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists Of The Dusk Sky (PS3) $24.99 $49.99

Conception II: Children Of The Seven Stars (PS Vita) $29.99 $39.99

Dark Souls II (PS3) $38.99 $59.99

Demon’s Souls (PS3) $9.99 $19.99

Dragon Age: Origins (PS3) $4.99 $19.99

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3) $19.99 $39.99

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) $29.99 $39.99

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS Vita) $29.99 $39.99

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3) $4.99 $19.99

Mass Effect 3: Citadel (PS3) $7.49 $14.99

Mass Effect 3: From Ashes (PS3) $4.99 $9.99

Mass Effect 3: Leviathan (PS3) $4.99 $9.99

Mass Effect 3: Omega (PS3) $7.49 $14.99

Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3) $14.99 $29.99

Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch (PS3) $4.99 $19.99

Soul Sacrifice (PS Vita) $6.49 $26.99

South Park: The Stick Of Truth (PS3) $41.99 $59.99

Tales Of Graces f (PS3) $17.49 $34.99

Tales Of Xillia (PS3) $19.99 $39.99

Toukiden: The Age Of Demons (PS Vita) $19.99 $39.99
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Seriously, are they EVER going to put the ME3 DLC on sale on Xbox? I mean, Citadel and Leviathon went on sale once for like a day each and it was so under the radar that most people didn't know about it. Oh well.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 26
    deleted.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited June 2014
    Except for everything being $10 more so it's $50 instead of $40... Hopefully the $20 applies to handhelds, it might force me to break my digital rule on Vita.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Figures a flash sale would happen when I'm broke.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited June 2014
    Hey Canadians... It's the most wonderful time of the year~

FutureShop and Best Buy have their E3 preorder deals up. And it looks like Best Buy may be this year's champion!
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."