If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Cheap games and whatnot

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    sale on Grand Wizard South Park games at Futureshop. Normally $85, on sale for $50. Currently only have Xbox 360 copies in stock online, but you could check to see if they're available at your local store if you want the PS3 version. I got on reserved and picked it up today, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    GoG has a cute thing going on right now where they pit games up against eachother and the community votes which is better. The winning games are then heavily discounted.

Maybe one of your old favourites is one of the winning games? Don't worry! If it's a loser, you still get a good discount.

http://www.gog.com/gamerumble
    edited April 2014
    This is the first I've heard of the Sony All Access pass: a bunch of MMOs, including bonus stuff and discounts on DLC for said games, for the price of one $15 monthly sub.

Sound good? Bad?
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Hmmmm...I would hardly call a new option 'bad.' More choices for consumers is almost always a win (until there are too many choices.) However, I'm not sure who, exactly, benefits from this. Clearly, it's the segment of people who not only enjoy multiple Sony MMOs, but also, under normal circumstances, are on their premium monthly plans...as a number of those on the list are free to play at the basic level. But, how many people is that, really? Hmmmmmmm...
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2014
    We have a Golden Week sale on the PSN. RPGs of note including half price for Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (meaning $20), Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross for $5 each, Persona 4 Golden for $20, etc.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 26
    deleted.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited April 2014
    We have a Golden Week sale on the PSN. RPGs of note including half price for Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (meaning $20), Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross for $5 each, Persona 4 Golden for $20, etc.

It took me a minute to realize that you were talking about the non-PS+ pricing there (Ys for $19.59, Muramasa Rebirth for $7.50 for me).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Dust and Saints Row 3 are the free games this month (in that order) on 360 Games with Gold. Both are FANTASTIC and if you don't own them and have a gold account you need to fix the situation.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Crono wrote: »
    Dust and Saints Row 3 are the free games this month (in that order) on 360 Games with Gold. Both are FANTASTIC and if you don't own them and have a gold account you need to fix the situation.

I totally agree. Even if you pick up a 3 month sub for $20, it is worth the price for those two games.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure if anyone here is bothering with Mario Kart 8 (WiiU), but if you are and register the game on your local Club Nintendo before the end of July, you get a free retail game code.

NA options: New Super Mario U, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD or Wii Party U
    EU options: NA list + Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Nintendoland, Game and Wario, Mario and Sonic Sochi Olympics, Sonic Lost World
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited May 2014
    I totally agree. Even if you pick up a 3 month sub for $20, it is worth the price for those two games.

I think I have a couple free Gold Trials lying around if anyone wants to use them. Not sure if they include Games with Gold games since I got these trials before GwG came out.
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    edited May 2014
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I think I have a couple free Gold Trials lying around if anyone wants to use them. Not sure if they include Games with Gold games since I got these trials before GwG came out.

I could use a code if you still have them.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Shadowrun Returns is on weekend sale on Steam. Is it worth the upgrade to the deluxe edition, or should I save the $3 and stick with the standard edition?
    edited May 2014
    Everything I've heard of Shadowrun suggests they held back a lot of features, including some common sense design stuff, so I imagine any kind of "deluxe" or fan made mod package would improve on the game.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2014
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Shadowrun Returns is on weekend sale on Steam. Is it worth the upgrade to the deluxe edition, or should I save the $3 and stick with the standard edition?
    Go with the regular version. I don't even remember what the Deluxe edition includes but I hardly think it is anything important. Just a heads up: Dragonfall is a much better campaign than Dead Man's Switch, but you need the former to play the latter.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Seems nobody mentioned yet that you can get the (Steam-only) Wizardry games via Humble Bundle!
    https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Might be a good overall time to poke around the internet for deals. Both the Humble Store and GOG are doing flash sales on top of larger sales, and sometimes other companies try to stomp on that by offering deals.

Personally, the Humble Store rubs me the wrong way and has become increasingly less humble about how it gives 25 cents to charity when you buy a game, and the GOG flash sales were a bust for me last time, but I'll be paying attention to both when I'm not doing other stuff.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited May 2014
    Free Dark Souls next month on XBL!
    edited May 2014
    Weekly Bundle this week includes most of the Divinity and Age of Wonders games.

Also Battle World Kronos is 50% off and fully updated on GoG now (free DLC included):
    http://www.gog.com/game/battle_worlds_kronos
    The game has received quite some criticism because of its bad implementation, but a lot of things have been improved in the meantime.
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Free Dark Souls next month on XBL!

May have to reactivate XBL just to get this. Games with Gold is really stepping up their game lately.
    edited May 2014
    ghaleon80 wrote: »
    May have to reactivate XBL just to get this. Games with Gold is really stepping up their game lately.
    From what I can tell, they're having to in order to compete with PSN's free games thing.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, the whole "super old game you likely already own/played" thing wasn't working so well.
    edited May 2014
    On a whim, I've spotted SMT: Nocturne going for only $10 on Amazon.
    edited May 2014
    On a whim, I've spotted SMT: Nocturne going for only $10 on Amazon.
    Not a surprise, since it's now on the PSN.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I love it when the artificial physical copy inflation bubble gets popped due to digital distribution.
    edited May 2014
    You wouldn't love it so much if it affected some overpriced game YOU own. Speaking of which, I gotta figure out what to do with my copy of Suikoden 2.

Still value in those physical copies though.
    edited May 2014
    Bleh, real gamers don't sell their games. :p

Another Star is now 33% off on Desura and IndieGameStand.
  • MarkoftheSivMarkoftheSiv New Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    "Bleh, real gamers don't sell their games".
    I really wish I had adhered to this in retrospect sometimes, but when I think about it, if I havent played a game in 7 years, what are the chances I am going to play it again? But posts like yours make me think I am wrong. I used to horde all my games, but I always ended up dumping them for one reason or another either cash or to sell to a friend. Darn it, I had a good Nes and Snes collection, and the last dumb thing I did was dump my Genesis collection which was of relatively good size for cash. (But i REALLY needed the cash).
    edited May 2014
    I'm a gamer, not a game collector. Experiencing new adventures and vistas of gameplay is more important to me than holding on to some old games that just don't do it for me anymore. Besides, there are some formerly great games I have that I can't stand anymore (old Contra games, or the old Resident Evils), so if they have enormous value I can use to buy new games and consoles, why hoard them? It's not like those discs or consoles last forever, and if I can just acquire a digital version, why not?
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    I'm a gamer, not a game collector. Experiencing new adventures and vistas of gameplay is more important to me than holding on to some old games that just don't do it for me anymore. Besides, there are some formerly great games I have that I can't stand anymore (old Contra games, or the old Resident Evils), so if they have enormous value I can use to buy new games and consoles, why hoard them? It's not like those discs or consoles last forever, and if I can just acquire a digital version, why not?

Heh...I saw your first line and thought, "I'm both." Though, to clarify, I'm a collector that collects a library to own it (Some just collect to sell, hope the value goes up, and resell at a higher price).

I go back and forth at time, but ultimately, if I still own a system, I'm hesitate to sell games I have on it because I have regretted it in on numerous occasions in the past. I agree there are games that haven't aged well, older RE's in particular (IMHO). However, that have been times I have pulled an old game that I haven't played in years, or even altogether. For example, I got a hair up my nose...and thought, "I never beat FFV!" Luckily, I had it in my massive collection. I started playing FFV on the GBA a few months ago...and I'm almost done with that. This weekend I pulled out a WWE game that I bought a while back, and went through the 10 hour or so story mode in one setting. So, I have a lot of games I never beat...or even played...but I like having them on tap so when I do get the hankering to play a particular one, it's right there.

I do agree with you about physical copies. I have sold some high price hard copy version when I saw a PSN/Steam/etc version coming out down the pike :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!