If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Abysmal FFXIV Review!

Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl MemberFull Members
edited November 2010 in Square Enix
For those that care, the first review I have been able to find on the game is actually kind of surprising to me!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy14/review.html?tag=topslot;thumb;1

Thoughts?
"Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
«13456712

Comments

  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    This seems to be how many people have been reacting to it. Japanese Amazon has it at 1.5 stars. Apparently there isn't much diversity in the games missions.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I was on sankaku and they posted this review. I was actually pretty happy this morning when I read it. I hope this "game" crashes and burns hardcore.

    I really hope SE learns from this, but I'm sure they won't.

    Also something else of interest, SE has been requesting game reviewers to hold off on giving reviews of the game until at least a month after it's release, lol. Guess they want their terrible game to sell as much as possible before reviews like gamespot's start hitting the net.
    sup?
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Well Japan has other reasons to dislike the game - rampant misspellings, mainly.

    Still, I must admit to some surprise. Yeah, it's early in FFXIV's run, but SE already has another MMO under their belt in FFXI, they should have learned some things from that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Maudren wrote: »
    Also something else of interest, SE has been requesting game reviewers to hold off on giving reviews of the game until at least a month after it's release, lol. Guess they want their terrible game to sale as much as possible before reviews like gamespot's start hitting the net.

    Well, that's not terribly surprising given the number of MMO's that have had difficulty with providing a "smooth" launch for their game. To be honest, I really feel that MMO games need to be re-reviewed on a fairly regular basis given the rate of change most of them go through in a year without taking expansion packs into consideration.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    but SE already has another MMO under their belt in FFXI, they should have learned some things from that.

    Ah, but there's a conspiracy theory floating around that the game wasn't developed internally by SE, but rather was farmed out to a Chinese studio which is why so many Chinese words made it into the Japanese translation ...

    I don't know whether there is any truth in that, but something very odd has taken place during development, and that would make as much sense as anything else ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Well, that's not terribly surprising given the number of MMO's that have had difficulty with providing a "smooth" launch for their game. To be honest, I really feel that MMO games need to be re-reviewed on a fairly regular basis given the rate of change most of them go through in a year without taking expansion packs into consideration.

    I disagree because it's still the developer's responsibility to ensure thier game is ready for launch. If what people are saying is true, FF14 is NOT ready, and should not have even been released. The game is simply plagued with issues, and as gamespot stated, it's going to really be difficult for SE to patch "fun" into the game.

    Also, WoW and WAR had pretty smooth releases. Sure they had bugs and stability issues here and there, but the core mechanics were intact, fun, and READY for public release. This is simply not the case with FF14. Point is, a smooth mmo release is very much possible, but you can't simply patch terrible game design and philosophy. Therefore re-reviewing mmo's based on patches and fixes doesn't seem terribly efficient if the CORE of the game is god aweful.
    sup?
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    The WoW release was anything but smooth if I remember right. Horrendous queues to get onto the servers and such.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited October 2010
    shoptroll wrote: »
    The WoW release was anything but smooth if I remember right. Horrendous queues to get onto the servers and such.

    I think the point was that at least WoW's mechanics worked at the beginning; they just had to deal with increasing service.
    ClixPsi.png
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Clix wrote: »
    I think the point was that at least WoW's mechanics worked at the beginning; they just had to deal with increasing service.

    Pretty much, yeah. I doubt anyone could have predicted WoW's runaway success at the beginning, but the reason for that success was pretty clear from the onset. OTOH, FFVIX won't have to deal with server load for much longer, I don't think.
    Ah, but there's a conspiracy theory floating around that the game wasn't developed internally by SE, but rather was farmed out to a Chinese studio which is why so many Chinese words made it into the Japanese translation ...

    I don't know whether there is any truth in that, but something very odd has taken place during development, and that would make as much sense as anything else ...

    Conspiracy? I thought it was a forgone conclusion, what between the fatigue system, the abysmal translation you mentioned and the FILTHY cup in the Japanese Collector's edition.

    Oh, and looking for Chinese speakers to run the servers, there's that too.

    Links may be NSFW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I actually thought this was a joke thread at first. But then it dawned on me that FFXIV is actually out and it made my soul hurt.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Gamespot? Not like a MMO at launch? Colour me utterly shocked (I was honestly expecting 1-2/10).

    Also, Sankaku Complex as a reliable source? I'd trust that place about as much as I trust 4chan (i.e. I don't. At all.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    lol from the cup link masterchief posted,

    "A glass which cannot be drunk from and a game which cannot be played – Square Enix is certainly breaking new ground."

    Heh that's funny.

    edit: It's not like what Sankaku is posting isn't factual though, so I see no reason to discredit them.

    edit2: I will admit though, Sankaku LOVES to post any dirt on SE they can find, but it's not like they're making the information up, I just think they go out of their way to find it lol.
    sup?
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Clix wrote: »
    I think the point was that at least WoW's mechanics worked at the beginning; they just had to deal with increasing service.

    Good point.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Macstorm managed to find this link yesterday, showing the checkered past of updates to FFXI. The most notable thing in relation to this discussion is the first patch was not applied to the game until almost a month had passed since launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Quin wrote: »
    Macstorm managed to find this link yesterday, showing the checkered past of updates to FFXI. The most notable thing in relation to this discussion is the first patch was not applied to the game until almost a month had passed since launch.

    As far as game servicing goes that's pretty bad response time. Especially by PC/MMO standards these days. Not totally sure what point you're trying to make here.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Quin wrote: »
    Gamespot? Not like a MMO at launch? Colour me utterly shocked (I was honestly expecting 1-2/10).

    Also, Sankaku Complex as a reliable source? I'd trust that place about as much as I trust 4chan (i.e. I don't. At all.)

    Their review of FFXI and WoW were far more positive, and even Aion wasn't slammed all that hard by comparison.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Their review of FFXI and WoW were far more positive, and even Aion wasn't slammed all that hard by comparison.

    Age of Conan and Warhammer Online each scored 8.5/10 as well
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    The reviews of Aion and FFXI were done after those games had been out for at least a year in other countries (Japan for FFXI and Korea for Aion). Only WoW has been able to get things right first time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I started hearing about people rating FF14 as 2 out of 10 on average and began to look into it. I found that review and was a little surprised, but only a little...this is actually on par with the direction Squeenix has been going this decade. Perfect way to cap it off, really.

    Now that I think about it, I've bought very few Squeenix games in the last 5 years, and not because they were just too average for my taste, but because the majority were just downright bad. My how the mighty have fallen...
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Quin wrote: »
    The reviews of Aion and FFXI were done after those games had been out for at least a year in other countries (Japan for FFXI and Korea for Aion). Only WoW has been able to get things right first time.

    This is Gamespot's fault how? Seems like you're expecting them to give SE favors. Shoptroll already mentioned their like of Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. I don't see why FFVIX has to be treated with kid gloves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Quin wrote: »
    The reviews of Aion and FFXI were done after those games had been out for at least a year in other countries (Japan for FFXI and Korea for Aion). Only WoW has been able to get things right first time.

    So the game gets better after they've had more time to refine it. Alright, but does that mean they shouldn't score it lower? I've seen plenty of other games patched to a playable level over the course of a year. Is there any reason they shouldn't give it a low score to reflect the current state of the game? A 6.5 basically reads to me as "hey this isn't going to be a WoW killer anytime soon". Maybe I read further to see why they scored it lower (sounds more like design issues than technical flaws) and keep an eye on the game, or I skip over it completely. Or sign up knowing full well what I'm getting into. *shrug*

    Like I said before, not totally sure what point you're trying to make here.

    EDIT:
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, I've bought very few Squeenix games in the last 5 years, and not because they were just too average for my taste, but because the majority were just downright bad. My how the mighty have fallen...

    TWEY and Kingdom Hearts BBS are pretty outstanding Chicken Soup for the S-E fanperson soul. Like I've said before, a lot of the problem is they've shifted focus dramatically to their publishing business and not as much development work. Sadly they've burned a number of franchises in the process which is leaving them with a large share of ill will from fans.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    My point is that MMOs that have had time to be refined would typically score better than they did at launch, unless one of your updates happened to utterly destroy the core part of the game, like SOE managed with Star Wars Galaxies. As I said, I expected an extremely low score from just about everyone, and a lot of the comments on various other (FFXIV-related) forums agree with the basis of the review, and that SE has a lot of work to do to bring FFXIV in line with it's predecessor as a game that will last almost a decade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Well like I said, MMO games should be re-reviewed on a fairly regular basis as they do evolve with time. Very few other genres has games that change this much over the course of their life span. EDIT: And with console games now getting several patches after launch I wonder if we'll start to see more games getting re-reviewed a few months after launch just to see if things have changed.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Well like I said, MMO games should be re-reviewed on a fairly regular basis as they do evolve with time. Very few other genres has games that change this much over the course of their life span. EDIT: And with console games now getting several patches after launch I wonder if we'll start to see more games getting re-reviewed a few months after launch just to see if things have changed.

    The thought of playing the two MMOs I have played the most over the last few years (FFXI and City of Heroes/Villains) without their years worth of additions and Quality of Life updates would probably make me wonder what I was doing with both of them as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    This is Gamespot's fault how? Seems like you're expecting them to give SE favors. Shoptroll already mentioned their like of Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. I don't see why FFVIX has to be treated with kid gloves.

    yeah I don't recall other mmo developers asking the gaming industry to hold off on reviews until a month after release. If SE didn't want reviews until a month after release because they have updates to make, maybe they should have held back release for a month so that they could have launched a more complete game. I'm tired of people being especially apologetic towards SE, and I'm glad gamespot isn't having any of it.

    On the plus side, the downfall of a huge, big budget game like FF14, will hopefully snap SE out of their funk. Let's cross our fingers :)

    Now on to IGN,

    http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1123824p1.html

    These guys are just dragging their freaking review out. They've got 7 pages worth of information on the game, they really need to just score it and be done with it.

    edit: Yeah I know it seems I'm raging on SE a little, but seriously guys, they've already had one FF mmo under their belt so they should have learned. I've always thought that Final Fantasy, by far, has the greatest MMO potential in the world, and when I ended up hating FF11, I was pretty dissapointed. So when 14 was announced, I was positive this game would be the FF MMO I've always dreamed of, but now I'm crushed that they've failed yet again, and with a game that's WORSE than the last one.

    How does THAT happen?

    edit: gamespot gave lord of the rings online an 8.3, so that's another mmo they liked.

    I bought that game at launch and it was silky smooth.
    sup?
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    People can only review the game that SE released, it's not possible to review the game based on what it will be like in a year's time. SE should get working on an absolutely resplendent first expansion, because it sounds like they've got a lot of bridges to mend.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    People can only review the game that SE released, it's not possible to review the game based on what it will be like in a year's time. SE should get working on an absolutely resplendent first expansion, because it sounds like they've got a lot of bridges to mend.

    Exactly right on both counts. This is a point Chris was making when Aion came out because he hated the game while Mikel loved it: you can't review a possibility. Not only that, but the core point made in the Gamespot review is that you can't patch a bad overall game. Even in a buggy mess, you can see a core, something that can be refined. Judging from the near-universal condemnation of FFXIV, I can only assume that core isn't there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Judging from the near-universal condemnation of FFXIV, I can only assume that core isn't there.

    FFXIV seems to have two primary design problems (3 in Japan, where they have had their dialogue filtered through a Chinese sweat shop); 1) a poorly thought out, laggy interface, and 2) overly repetitive, poorly though out quests.

    Now, they can't perform miracles on the interface, but they can at least get rid of the lag. If they are able to do that AND make some well thought out quests, then perhaps they can salvage something.

    From my perspective, this just reeks of SE's high handed arrogance, where they take their fans for granted and do the bare minimum of groundwork (or less), and release a product that no consumer deserves to be lumped with.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    FFXIV seems to have two primary design problems (3 in Japan, where they have had their dialogue filtered through a Chinese sweat shop); 1) a poorly thought out, laggy interface, and 2) overly repetitive, poorly though out quests.

    You forgot to mention the barren landscapes mostly made of a few sections copy-pasted to make an area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    (3 in Japan, where they have had their dialogue filtered through a Chinese sweat shop)

    Has anyone got a reliable source for this? I did a bit of looking, but it all linked back to one place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
This discussion has been closed.