If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ys: The Oath in Felghana Screenshots & Gameplay Trailers

QuinQuin これはメタですRPGamer Staff
edited October 2010 in Latest Updates
XSEED hopes to land on Ysy Street with all the sales from these Falcom games. Take a look as they show off some screens and movies from Oath in Felghana.

[NEWS]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Comments

• TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Looking good, can't wait!
    Hopefully it can make the November 2nd date.

Wonder if we'll have special guests post here..
  • MegaLink2MegaLink2 Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2010
    Yep, that's the game I played several times and the horrid gameplay is still the same on the PSP...voices are halfway decent, but not worth the price. And then when you have to "Oops!" throw in a "double-boost" because you made your game too unforgiving, that's a game balancing issue that should have been worked out by Falcom before releasing the game.

Man, I just can't get over the fact how ugly the last area of the game became after the transition to 3D with all those mutated monsters and the place itself looking like the innards of some nasty creature.

If anybody remembers the original, seriously, what happened to the orb that lit up the darkness in the last area? And what about the ascension of the tower before the final battle with Galbalan? Where did these awesome elements go? I just cannot get over the fact how Ys: The Oath in Felghana ruined these great moments and replaced it with crap...
  • WyrdwadWyrdwad Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    **SLIGHT ENVIRONMENTAL SPOILERS FOR OATH IN FELGHANA, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK**

The orb is still there, it's just used in different places (the abandoned mine and Valestein Castle).

And the ascent of the tower has been replaced with a DEscent. Same basic gist, though, except it makes a little more sense -- why would (NAME WITHHELD DUE TO SPOILER) be in a tower, instead of underground?

Also, wouldn't looking like the innards of a nasty creature be... you know... APPROPRIATE, story-wise? I don't get why that's a bad thing...

**END SPOILERS**

Anyway, I'm glad we at least got a "halfway decent" out of you for the voices. It's clear you won't ever like Felghana better than Ys III, but I'm pretty sure most of the rest of us do/will/would. Just try to remember that everyone has different opinions, and I hope that perhaps we'll be able to better appeal to you with Ys I & II Chronicles next year!

-Tom
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    MegaLink2 said:
    Yep, that's the game I played several times and the horrid gameplay is still the same on the PSP...voices are halfway decent, but not worth the price. And then when you have to "Oops!" throw in a "double-boost" because you made your game too unforgiving, that's a game balancing issue that should have been worked out by Falcom before releasing the game.

Man, I just can't get over the fact how ugly the last area of the game became after the transition to 3D with all those mutated monsters and the place itself looking like the innards of some nasty creature.

If anybody remembers the original, seriously, what happened to the orb that lit up the darkness in the last area? And what about the ascension of the tower before the final battle with Galbalan? Where did these awesome elements go? I just cannot get over the fact how Ys: The Oath in Felghana ruined these great moments and replaced it with crap...

oh hey, it's you again. We know your opinion. We get it. You hate this game. You don't have to tell us this every time an Oath in Felghana thread pops up. Go start an Ys III thread.
    edited October 2010
    So they have arrived from the previous 2 posters I see..

Anyways, Tom, so I know OiF has yet to release, but you should totally put an Adol miniature or something in the Ys I & II Chronicles Premium Edition, along with the soundtrack, assuming you do one that is.
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Tiael said:
    So they have arrived from the previous 2 posters I see..

Anyways, Tom, so I know OiF has yet to release, but you should totally put an Adol miniature or something in the Ys I & II Chronicles Premium Edition, along with the soundtrack, assuming you do one that is.

I second this, an Adol figure would be awesome, though I'd be happy with a Feena or Reah :)
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2010
    Wheels said:
    oh hey, it's you again. We know your opinion. We get it. You hate this game. You don't have to tell us this every time an Oath in Felghana thread pops up. Go start an Ys III thread.

Quoting this for truth and emphasis. Those who can discuss the game without being whacked upside the head with a stick by me, carry on!

On topic: Adol plushie nowplease.
    edited October 2010
    You guys are thinking too small! I suggested an ACTUAL SILVER HARMONICA as part of an Ys I & II Chronicles LE box.

Needless to say, though, that won't be happening. I think our PR guy wanted to hit me when I suggested that. ;)

-Tom
    edited October 2010
    Shoulda pointed out Bumpy Trot had harmonicas.
  • CipherinthesnoWCipherinthesnoW Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I'm actually excited about this game, I finished Ys 7 a few weeks ago, and it was my first in the series, so this to me looks very cool. ;p
    edited October 2010
    A silver harmonica would be sweet... that or include a FeenaxReah body pillow.....
    edited October 2010
    Wyrdwad said:
    You guys are thinking too small! I suggested an ACTUAL SILVER HARMONICA as part of an Ys I & II Chronicles LE box.

Needless to say, though, that won't be happening. I think our PR guy wanted to hit me when I suggested that. ;)

-Tom

Now YOU'RE thinking too small, how about an actual silver sword?
    edited October 2010
    How about a life-size Dogi statue that will literally crush walls in your path.
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2010
    Or a life-size Darm Tower!
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Wouldn't that make for a hell of a Halloween party?
    edited October 2010
    Here's a pro-tip for everyone: Don't make a second account to agree with you. It's a really, really stupid idea. Topic tidied. If something on-topic was inadvertently axed, everyone else should feel free to repost.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Paws said:
    Here's a pro-tip for everyone: Don't make a second account to agree with you. It's a really, really stupid idea. Topic tidied. If something on-topic was inadvertently axed, everyone else should feel free to repost.

Heh heh... they poster didn't see you could check IP addresses, or some other form to discover account dupers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Normal users cannot see IPs because we want your speech to be protected. This is so people who disagree with you can only say they disagree, they cannot find out where you live, come to your house and kill you, turn off your internet, or other nonsense.

Sorry Paws for not catching this...

Here is what I posted before:
    See: Serious Business.

Ascention vs Descention (final tower): Serious Business.

That villains would sit around waiting for a hero to come defeat them is practically a trope. Dragon Warrior 1, 2, 3, and 4 did it and Holy Badman does as well. Can't find this one on TV Tropes though.

I thought the Felghana story was pretty bad based on the fan translation. I give it a 2/5. It's a long string of go there, do that. They put a couple of variations on that formula. And there is a big twist. The nature of this twist is similar to that in Ys Seven. I don't think the bad story takes away from the game. The game's real strength is in the gameplay.
    edited October 2010
    I actually quite like the story of Felghana, but I can see where you're coming from -- it is, indeed, very generic and trope-filled. But I think what makes it endearing is that its writers were well aware of this, and just had fun making it as melodramatic and dynamic as possible. It's like watching a very over-the-top stage performance or something -- might not turn the heads of theater critics, but it's certainly VERY entertaining for what it is!

I'm curious if your opinion of the story will go up with the PSP version now that there's voice-acting and HIGHLY DRAMATIZED LINES (I tried to imagine Calculon from Futurama saying every line as I edited it, and I think the end result captures the uber-dramatic nature of the game's story quite perfectly!).

But yeah... this isn't a game you should go into for its story, either way. Felghana is all about the gameplay. And while a few (very persistent, very passionate) naysayers may not be too fond of the gameplay in it, I absolutely love it. For me, this is the best game in the Ys series, barnone.

-Tom
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if anything will ever beat Dogi's opening lines or the big bad and Chester's threats to each other in the TurboGrafx version of Wanderers, because I still listen to that from the CD just for laughs. Now you're raising my expectations! (in a good way) :)

Anyways, you can't escape tropes or cliches, there's always a way to distill things to the lowest common denominator. The only thing you can do as a writer is remember they are building blocks, and only become critic-fodder when everything else falls flat around them, usually because the characters don't have worthwhile interactions, or the game is just bad to begin with. From everything I've seen in this media and read, Oath in Felghana has nothing to worry about.

Only a few more weeks to wait!
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
    edited October 2010
    Nothing quite THAT cheezy, I'm afraid. (: There are tons of voice samples on the website, though, in the Characters section, so if you want a little taste of what's to come, check 'em out:

http://www.worldofys.com/ysf

-Tom
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I only care about story in normal RPGs but in action adventure and action RPGs, I care about game play the most and not if the story is about saving a princess with special powers or plot by a big evil pretending to be good to betray you blah blah. I like most of this sub-genre and in this game not only the gameplay is fast passed and fluid but the music is very good as well and blends with the gameplay making it a 1 experience.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited October 2010
    Haha, don't worry, that game had a special kind of cheese no one should ever try to reproduce intentionally.

Dogi has some funny lines in his character profile lol, and Chester's personality is completely different from Wanderers with the new voice actor. I love that the website cycles through the soundtrack.
    edited October 2010
    "I'm Dogi! They call me the Wall Crusher!!!!" Oh and will they keep the swearing?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited October 2010
    There is swearing in Felghana, yes. No sh** or f***, but plenty of the other popular swears. (:

-Tom
    edited October 2010
    I need Falcom to remake Ys IV and Ys V and expecially Ys IV at it will resove canon issues. As I see things Xseed plans to become Falcom's Official publisher. (I think they are their official publisher.) Ys Seven received strong positive feedback and that was great and I hope the same happen to this.
    edited October 2010
    LordKaiser said:
    I need Falcom to remake Ys IV and Ys V and expecially Ys IV at it will resove canon issues. As I see things Xseed plans to become Falcom's Official publisher. (I think they are their official publisher.) Ys Seven received strong positive feedback and that was great and I hope the same happen to this.
    Oh, it'll happen, Falcom knows how to effectively use their properties.
    edited October 2010
    I would love Falcom to remake IV and V, particularly for PSP(2), portable is great, and I haven't played either of those.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Tiael said:
    A silver harmonica would be sweet... that or include a FeenaxReah body pillow.....
    That is an interesting bonus item you seem to be looking for. I certainly would not complain about such a bonus item myself.
    Wyrdwad said:
    Nothing quite THAT cheezy, I'm afraid. (: There are tons of voice samples on the website, though, in the Characters section, so if you want a little taste of what's to come, check 'em out:

http://www.worldofys.com/ysf

-Tom
    Some of the voice samples were pretty good. Others were more than a little jarring. It does look like the voice actor for Chester will do a fairly competent job. I'll have to play the game to see how well it pans out overall, though. The actress playing Elena does not make me cringe, so that is also encouraging. The voice actor who narrates Adol's actions seems familiar. Is he the guy who did the narration for the Penny Arcade games that came out a while back on XBox Live Arcade?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited October 2010
    Just went gold and confirmed for November 2nd release, can't wait for this!