If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Kingdom Hearts: Storyline concepts and details [Thar be Spoilers.]

HyristHyrist formally jiroo chan 007Full Members
edited October 2010 in Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts (even with its side stories) has very rich and deep storyline themes, even as they borrow stories from other games and series.

What amazes me is how they manage to simply the entire concepts of Light and Darkness in a way that's both global, and fairly unique to its own way.

I'm particularly intrigued in how they deal with Darkness as both a need to keep in balance and a dangerous element on its own, but to not go as far as to say to have any darkness is innately wrong like some games hold.

How did the Kingdom Hearts saga strike you, if at all? Were the storyline elements too simple/cishe, too obscure, or did they strike the right balance for you at specific points?

Comments

• CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    It certainly tries, which is more than I can say for some RPG stories. But it has a tendency to get so mysterious and metaphysical that it becomes totally impenetrable.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Cidolfas wrote: »
    But it has a tendency to get so mysterious and metaphysical that it becomes totally impenetrable.

It's what I call "popcorn philosophy" in the sense that it sounds deep but if you start to scratch the surface you find there's nothing but air underneath.

The light / dark stuff is pretty much just lifted from Star Wars at this point now. Like verbatim ripped from the dialogue at one point in BBS.

I'm personally more interested in seeing where they go with the characters / overall plot at this point as the Xehanort story is basically wrapped up with KHII. Square-Enix doesn't have a history of continuous plots between games in a franchise so this is an interesting project in that regard. After Re:Coded arrives in January we're going to be in a KH drought until 3D ships and hopefully by then we'll have a KHIII announcement.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    It is CRAZY how many installments of this series there has been since KHII. They really need to move forward with another mothership entry.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited October 2010
    Personally, I find the KH series of games to be just "okay". Theres a hint of magic in there, but it always seems to get bogged down by something, which for me usually tends to be the rehashed disney stories that tend to be most of the gaming experience.

At this point I agree with shoptroll, and I honestly thought the story and characters in BBS were pretty weak. Also felt that most of the original non disney stuff seemed like it was ripped from Star Wars too, which was a big let down for me. It appeared as if a lot of nothing happened throughout the course of the game. Aqua and Terra were sent on quests to prevent the princesses of heart from being harmed, but that never actually seemed to be a goal that they were concerned with or actively pursued, for example.

Xehanort was the only interesting character for me. I looked at him as being a twisted version of Vyse from Skies of Arcadia, a curious adventurer that would do anything to satisfy his heart's desire, and through means of self-preservation, the events of BBS occured. And its a shame, too, because he is certainly written in some places to be a one dimensional trope. I mean, why does he supposedly want to restart the Keyblade Wars if opening Kingdom Hearts is his goal?

The secret ending also had some questionable depictions in it.
    At this point, I'm not buying that the Organization members met each other by chance during all that time, yet Aqua supposedly wandered the world of darkness for however many years that entails without encountering a soul? Also, how on earth are Ven and Terra seen saying "Sora" on the old land of departure when Ven is likely still asleep in Castle Oblivion, and Terra most certainly is still Xehanort?
    edited October 2010
    It is CRAZY how many installments of this series there has been since KHII. They really need to move forward with another mothership entry.

Don't forget that Coded, 358 and BBS were all announced at the same time I think. Coded actually launched first but now we're getting the remake and BBS took a good chunk of time to develop so that's why we were bombarded with 3 KH games in the course of a year and a half.

I wouldn't be surprised if at the 1.11.11 press conference for XIII they drop a hint or something. Especially if that conference is at all related to a release date for Vs. XIII which the core KH team is working on. Re:Coded (which takes place right after KHII) supposedly sets up the next full installment by the sound of it. Very little has been said about KH 3D aside from it tieing in with the recent spin-offs, so who knows what the plan is with that.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to will myself through 358/2 but it's just not working... The game is just so slow and... I dunno... terrible? I don't really think that... but it's not as good as KHII or even (god help me for saying this) Chain of Memories...

I can't say that I'm a fan of the way that the game/story is laid out in this one. But I want to get through so I can play BBS and be caught up when Re:Coded comes out.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah the plot for 358/2's single-player moves at a glacial pace, probably due to the mission based structure being intended for brief play sessions on public transportation. However, I definitely recommend giving the multiplayer a try with your wife. I've had a lot of fun playing it with my gf. Same goes for BBS's Mirage Arena.

I put 358 down for the time being to focus on BBS. Neither one really depends on the other for plot so you're not going to spoil much I think if you take a break from 358 to play BBS.

Am I one of the few people here who actually enjoyed the original GBA release of CoM?
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Yes. X-X

The ending of BBS left with a crazy amount of questions. One was apparently answered by some cryptic statements from 358/2 Days that I'd forgotten about because they were never followed up on.
    Xehanort and/or Axel mention a Chamber of Awakening in Castle Oblivion that they couldn't find. Apparently this is where Ven is sleeping.
  • HyristHyrist formally jiroo chan 007 Full Members
    edited October 2010
    For me it's interesting how they litteralized otherwise intangeable evil.

Heartless: Losts hearts claimed by darkness.

Nobodys: Outcasts who have lost their hearts.

Unversed: Out of control emotions.

Then you start to look at the corrilation between them, like
    how the wicked stepmother and stepsisters end up being destroyed by an unversed represented directly by their jealousy.
    The themes of the game and the depth of it really begins to flush out.
    Where Aurora's heart was stolen by Terra being manipulated by darkness (Malificent), it foreshadows having his own body and heart stolen.

Very common themes are well orchrastrated in the seriese. From "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." to the improtance of hope and determination. Simple lessons and morals, for sure, as this is a disney game. But it is done in such a base universal way that it has a wide appeal.
    In Ven's final fight inside his own heart verses Vanitas, one can see how the conflict was harming himself in the way it destoryed the world they had stood upon. Or how in the end Ven was really just getting control of his own darkness that had been let loose. (Which was represented in the forced D-link at the end.)

It'll be interesting to see what themes and works they push with for the final chapter in all of this. Especially with Xanort's theories about the heart.
  • VncentValntineVncentValntine Pretty much... Full Members
    edited October 2010
    Cidolfas wrote: »
    Yes. X-X

The ending of BBS left with a crazy amount of questions. One was apparently answered by some cryptic statements from 358/2 Days that I'd forgotten about because they were never followed up on.
    Xehanort and/or Axel mention a Chamber of Awakening in Castle Oblivion that they couldn't find. Apparently this is where Ven is sleeping.

So then am I incorrect in assuming that
    Ven was re-awakened as Roxas when Sora became a heartless? Didn't the secret ending show that Ven's heart went inside Sora? And so wouldnt that mean when Sora became a heartless, he released both his and ven's heart? Did 358 ever explain where they found roxas?
    =p