If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 28 - Gespenst Kick!

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited November 2010 in Latest Updates
Twin Bird Strike, Cross Smasher, Black Hole Cluster, Jet Magnum, Mega Graviton Wave, Code: Kirin, Phantom Phoenix, Claymore Avalanche, Cosmo Nova, Sonic Javelin, Blade Tonfa, Fang Slasher, Sonic Breaker, Giga Unghia, Boost Knuckle, Schulterplatte, Dominion Ball: do any of these things sound familiar? If not, a listen to our lengthy, in-depth discussion of their source is mandatory.
SRT: Original Generation
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    How the hell is this under 100mb? Impossible I say, Impossible!

(In before Mu La Flaga)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited November 2010
    You know, I could have sworn that there was a game in this series that had Vandread characters/mechs in it. A recent search has yielded zilch. I would import that game in a heartbeat. Vandread is one of my most favorite anime series of all time.

Good Arceus, four hours! This'll take a while to get through. . .
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • gdawgtukgdawgtuk Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Longest Podcast Ever. I think Phil and I finally went offline around 3am! To clearify, I know it's FF2 on Super Nintendo and FF4 elsewhere. I just sounded like I said it backwards because I clarified too late.
    edited November 2010
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    You know, I could have sworn that there was a game in this series that had Vandread characters/mechs in it. A recent search has yielded zilch. I would import that game in a heartbeat. Vandread is one of my most favorite anime series of all time.

Good Arceus, four hours! This'll take a while to get through. . .
    Sadly, no SRW game has Vandread in yet. You're not the only one that wants it to make an appearance, I'd like to see it too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited November 2010
    I'm still early into the Backtrack, but I just had to comment on Marta (from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) being called a poorly written female character. I know you don't own a Wii, Sam, so I don't know how much you know about Marta or ToS: DotNW in general. Her characterization and development and perfect, and I am a bit more tolerant of characters others find annoying, but I find her a very likable, engaging, and interesting character. Yes, her main shtick is her Clingy Jealous Girl-ness, but I actually found it pretty funny and before it got really old, a certain event happens and she begins to grow out of it. She "reverts" once in a while, but as they say, old habits die hard. She doesn't mature as much as Emil does, but she matures nonetheless. I especially love and she and Emil help each other to grown and develop over the course of the game. I'd say more, but it would be hard without going into spoiler territory, which doesn't really seem necessary here.

Of course, I also understand that some people would find her annoying regardless of how much she changes, or feel that development does not excuse a character being initially irritating in that person's eyes. I just wanted to add my two cents, especially since I consider Marta to be one of my most favorite RPG heroines ever. I'm sure people must think I'm nuts for thinking that.

Yes, I did send in an audio review for the game, but I don't touch much upon Marta in it, though I do mention how much I love her and Emil as characters.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Quin said:
    Sadly, no SRW game has Vandread in yet. You're not the only one that wants it to make an appearance, I'd like to see it too.
    I think I'd like to see Vandread as part of my dream SRW game that also includes Gurren Lagann, Heroic Age, Gunbuster, Diebuster, a ton of Macross stuff, Turn A Gundam, and the really crazy late Getter Robo manga stuff. In other words, epic space warfare and a ton of spiral power. It is amazing how easy it is to fit Vandread and Heroic Age into a scheme of a war between spirals and anti-spirals if you try.
  • CipherinthesnoWCipherinthesnoW Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    I thought it was some sort of error when I saw the new Backtrack was 4 hours long, haha, this should be interesting! :D
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    I'm still early into the Backtrack, but I just had to comment on Marta (from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) being called a poorly written female character. I know you don't own a Wii, Sam, so I don't know how much you know about Marta or ToS: DotNW in general. Her characterization and development and perfect, and I am a bit more tolerant of characters others find annoying, but I find her a very likable, engaging, and interesting character. Yes, her main shtick is her Clingy Jealous Girl-ness, but I actually found it pretty funny and before it got really old, a certain event happens and she begins to grow out of it. She "reverts" once in a while, but as they say, old habits die hard. She doesn't mature as much as Emil does, but she matures nonetheless. I especially love and she and Emil help each other to grown and develop over the course of the game. I'd say more, but it would be hard without going into spoiler territory, which doesn't really seem necessary here.

Of course, I also understand that some people would find her annoying regardless of how much she changes, or feel that development does not excuse a character being initially irritating in that person's eyes. I just wanted to add my two cents, especially since I consider Marta to be one of my most favorite RPG heroines ever. I'm sure people must think I'm nuts for thinking that.

Yes, I did send in an audio review for the game, but I don't touch much upon Marta in it, though I do mention how much I love her and Emil as characters.

Hey Strawberry! Yeah about the Marta bit... I haven't played DtNW, but all my crazy girlfriends who are far more obsessed with Tales have told me how much they believe she's a poorly written character, that she's boring, blah blah, so I was just going off what I knew from them. I will, at some point, play that game, even if it means steal my nephew's Wii and getting a copy. So I don't want you to think I was hatin', it's more of me going off hear say, since I haven't heard anyone talk about Marta with any sort of kindness... that was until you commented! :D
    edited November 2010
    TwinBahamut said:
    I think I'd like to see Vandread as part of my dream SRW game that also includes Gurren Lagann, Heroic Age, Gunbuster, Diebuster, a ton of Macross stuff, Turn A Gundam, and the really crazy late Getter Robo manga stuff. In other words, epic space warfare and a ton of spiral power. It is amazing how easy it is to fit Vandread and Heroic Age into a scheme of a war between spirals and anti-spirals if you try.
    I never watched Heroic Age, but I actually could easily imagine Vandread in a sprial vs. anti-spiral plot. :D
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Quin said:
    How the hell is this under 100mb? Impossible I say, Impossible!
    (In before Mu La Flaga)
    Well, I did a high compression doohickey. The problem is that it doesn't sound as good, specifically in the sections with music. Perhaps I'm an audiophile. Y'all let me know what you think.

Strawberry, I am very, very sorry I didn't get your review in. I was in such a rush to get this done, I totally blanked. I'll try to get it in the next one.
    edited November 2010
    ^Oh. I'm no where near the end, so I hadn't noticed yet. It's all right, I understand. :) Perhaps you should save it for the future later-Tales games Backtrack, as I imagine it would be more appropriate for it, even if the beginning won't quite match up.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    I already put it in my Backtrack 29 folder, so it should make it in. Again, I apologize.
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Wow, what a bunch of frakking RPG snobs! How dare you bad mouth my sweet baby(Sword of Vermilion)! That was a FINE game, FINE game!
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    sirsniffy said:
    Wow, what a bunch of frakking RPG snobs! How dare you bad mouth my sweet baby(Sword of Vermilion)! That was a FINE game, FINE game!

Jumes is the one who has nightmares over that game. :)
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited November 2010
    I'll badmouth Sword of Vermilion all the live-long day and never hurt it as much as it hurt me.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • solosolo Dilettante Gamer Full Members
    edited November 2010
    I have a feeling this thread is going to see a longer tail of comments because of people listening to this monstrosity (in a good way) over an extended period of time. I'm excited, since I know nothing about either the games or the source material.
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited November 2010
    *sees Quin's avatar*

SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

...And no i'll go listen to the podcast
    edited November 2010
    Well, I finally got through this Behemoth of a podcast. Nice job all around, I thought, even if it was long.

I would imagine that it's a bit too late for Atlus to release Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Fronier Exceed, what with the 3DS on the horizon and all. Then again, a ( ever increasingly) small part of me iis still hoping Atlus will publish Luminous Arc 3.
    edited November 2010
    You refrain from crushing my hopes, I'll refrain from crushing yours, Strawberry. Deal?
    edited November 2010
    I'll just be over here finishing EXCEED...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    JuMeSyn said:
    You refrain from crushing my hopes, I'll refrain from crushing yours, Strawberry. Deal?
    All right, all right. Sorry. (XD)
    edited November 2010
    Just finished as well, good stuff. Wish you would have gone a little more in depth about the Story and characters though, especially about Gaiden. it did seem like you just dropped certain subjects rather early, not to be critical or anything.
    edited November 2010
    In retrospect I would've said more, but frankly my throat was getting super-dry as we got close to the end, conflicting with my desire to be as comprehensive as possible (I left out half the Carnages, and forgot to mention the annoying mission direct from the OVA in which you must rescue Arado, Seolla, Latooni, and Kusuha from the ODE System). Can't speak for Quin, but frankly my throat needed a break when we were done.
    edited November 2010
    Ah, Sorry then. I guess Four Hours of talking will do that huh? Would you mind if asked a bit about it here? Like, I was wondering, How does gaiden hold up to OGS1+2, length and Gameplay wise? From various people ive heard it's good, but at the same time not what they expected. It's a little confusing.
    Also, What do you feel about the Characters in general? Ive heard people accuse several of being Cookie-cutter Cliches of other Mecha protagonists. Personally I dont Buy it, but im interested in you guy's opinions.
    edited November 2010
    Before I answer anything else, that should be useful for narrowing the spectrum.
    edited November 2010
    I just needed sleep after that, I was downing cola to keep my voice clear.
    TheMaddness said:
    Also, What do you feel about the Characters in general? Ive heard people accuse several of being Cookie-cutter Cliches of other Mecha protagonists. Personally I dont Buy it, but im interested in you guy's opinions.
    Characters have to start somewhere, I personally think the OG series does a pretty good job of developing characters, even if they do dip into the cliche bucket occasionally.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    The OG characters and plots are sort of the perfect storm of mech show cliches, but that doesn't stop them from being fun or interesting.
    edited November 2010
    Stuff I can talk about from Gaiden that we didn't mention:
    One of those nasty battles, taken pretty much straight from the 3-episode OVA, in which Seolla, Arado, Latooni, and Kusuha must all be taken down to a certain HP level without killing any of them. That would be an excellent battle for just grinding, since the ODE System Mirongas never stop coming, but there's a turn limit. They don't cough up much cash anyway, which is a shame considering I shot down at least 60 of them.
    The Carnage grunts are pretty funny - their major units look like robot bats, bulls, chameleons, a sort of armadillo thing, and eventually cats. Naturally in my thoughts on Magnus and King Alkeid I forgot to mention the others: Altis in particular will require full attention, while Meishis (Meisis, Meissis, so many possible spellings) isn't that hard, and Mizal has a hilarious attack that throws all the Carnage grunts into one blow but is also pretty easy.
    Also forgot to mention that most of the Cry Wolves' plot deals with scientists attempting to harness the remnants of the Einst for Science. Naturally, that doesn't go very well for anyone concerned.
    Oh yes, of Duminas's three Homunculi, Despinas ends up on your side just in time to help ever-so-slightly with Dark Brain. Tiss and Laria (Lalia, Ralia, Raria) aren't so lucky. All three have weird-looking mechs that reminded me of animate totem poles.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    TheMaddness said:
    Generally speaking, the OG characters are not very deep, but they are memorable and likeable. There are so many of them that few characters are really given the chance to be seen in depth, but you see each of them enough for them to grow on you. And yes, the character do rely on a number of cliches, but I would not say they do so in any cookie-cutter manner. Honestly, I think the OG characters are more designed to contrast against mecha cliches rather than rely upon them.

It's kinda similar to how OG mechs are similar to, but different from the many licensed show mechs that appear in the non-OG SRW games. For example, Gundam Mobile Suits use a lot of funnels (or bits, or DRAGOONs, etc), so of course OG mechs also use similar weapons. However, very few OG mechs use weapons that are exactly similar. Instead, many use attacks like the R-3's Strike Shields, the Gespenst's T-Link Ripper, the Ashcleef's Splash Breaker, or the Geant Chevalier's Sword Bits. I think the Ashsaber's Sword Breaker is the only OG attack to actually copy funnels in every way, but it still has a difference in that the Sword Breakers actually ram their opponent as part of the attack. And of course none of the Huckebeins actually use that kind of attack at all, even though they are otherwise Gundam look-a-likes (instead, Huckebeins use weapons that you'll probably never see in a Gundam series). They are designed to stand alongside typical mecha stuff and partially copy what they are doing, but they also do things their own way to differentiate themselves.

In a number of ways, I think the characters from the OG games are designed similarly to the OG mechs. They are designed to stand next to typical mecha anime characters and both fit in and stand out. This means they follow cliches, but also break from them. As such, when you combine them all together into the OG games, you end up with a cast that vaguely seems like a cast of anime characters, but at the same time is very different in all manner of ways and creates a totally different dynamic. A great example of this at work is Kai Kitamura. He's designed in the image of classic anime character like Lieutenant Burning from Gundam 0083, but he is also very different with his much less strict command style and generally higher levels of hotblooded super-robot pilot awesomeness. Another example is the general lack of angst in the OG characters, even for those who follow in the footsteps of very angsty anime characters. I mean, the closest thing the OG games have to Gundam's Amuro Ray and Kira Yamato is Ryusei, and he couldn't possibly be more different in personality.
    edited November 2010
    Since we mentioned it on the Podcast;

RTX-010 Huckebein MkII

RX-178 Gundam MkII (Titan's colours)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]