If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 153: "Happy Fun Time Super Exciting"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited November 2010 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 153: "Happy Fun Time Super Exciting"

It's a slow news week so we have to resort to Playstation Home to bring us some entertainment. But don't worry, Glenn comes on one hour in, so make sure to fast forward to that part.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/153

RPGCast streams live every Saturday at 12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Happy Fun Time Super Exciting"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Comments

• caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    If you're short on ideas for future podcasts, then here's a question to ask: What are you thankful for this year?

(I'm currently thankful for freeware and pay-to-download games that take risks, and which cost less than full retail games. I'm also thankful for fan translations that get released, as they are rare gems. And I'm thankful for non-trivial things like employment and health...)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Since I'm a podcast irregular, I'll tell you right now I'm thankful for all the great western RPGs that have come out this year. The most gaming fun I had this year was with Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, and New Vegas. And I'm thankful the next Dragon Age is coming out so soon. It'll be an unusually loaded 14-ish month period for people like me who enjoy this genre.

Outside of that, I'm thankful for Nier. It's the most memorable game I played this year next to New Vegas.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Fear Effect 2 was the game Manny was thinking of, With the lesbians in it. Might be worth mentioning it was more then just implied as well.

...If I keep knowing this stuff people are going to start getting ideas about me.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    *peers curiously at Maddness*
    edited November 2010
    STOP JUDGING ME! >_<

Oh, While Im thinking about Chris, as to why the last thread got so smutty... you have to think that what you decided to put as the title might have had a little to do with it.
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    that's just MADNESS. MADNESS i say.
    edited November 2010
    I'm not judging D:
    edited November 2010
    noodle said:
    that's just MADNESS. MADNESS i say.

No, thats MADDNESS. Two D's
  • RetrovertigoRetrovertigo Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Next time it is a slow news week, just have Noodle read the dictionary or something. I know I'll listen :) Right, now I have sounded very creepy I'll slink back to New Vegas.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2010
    The part about Glenn in the episode description reminded me of something: you should consider giving timestamps for all your segments. I'd be more likely to listen every week if could just skip precisely to the segments I'm actually interested in. Once 1UP's RPG podcast started doing this I started listening to it pretty much every episode instead of whenever I could be bothered.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    7th, if your looking for some fun PS3 games, Yakuza 3 was a lot of fun. I also liked Atelier Rorona (which I KNOW you've played Annie!). Those are two exclusives I enjoyed. :) Also what about 3D Dot Game Heroes?
    edited November 2010
    Action RPGs have appealed to me less and less over the years. If want I to play an action game, I've found that real, non-RPG action games tend to be much more polished and fun. Sometimes I think games like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Fable 3 call themselves RPGs just so they won't be compared to the likes of Assassin's Creed 2 and Arkham Asylum. At heart, all four of those games are very, very similar and I think of them as being in the same genre because they feel like the same genre to me. So when I need to scratch an action game itch, I turn to the best that's out there and would be much more likely to play Uncharted 2, Prince of Persia, or God of War on the PS3 then 3D Dot Game Heroes.
  • DanChiSaoDanChiSao RPGCast Lurker Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Hey, Glenn. I have to advocate Atelier Rorona as well, I'm really enjoying it right now. And maybe you should pick up Cross Edge while you're at it. Muhahahahaha. But seriously though, get Rorona.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2010
    I haven't listened to the podcast and don't know what's being talked about other than PS3 RPGs, but DEMON'S SOULS is awesome!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    The part about Glenn in the episode description reminded me of something: you should consider giving timestamps for all your segments. I'd be more likely to listen every week if could just skip precisely to the segments I'm actually interested in. Once 1UP's RPG podcast started doing this I started listening to it pretty much every episode instead of whenever I could be bothered.

1h37m - Quin swears in British again, providing endless amusment for noodle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited November 2010
    Retrovertigo said:
    Next time it is a slow news week, just have Noodle read the dictionary or something. I know I'll listen :) Right, now I have sounded very creepy I'll slink back to New Vegas.

well. i guess i would say the same to quin.
    edited November 2010
    Dear RPGCast. I think the Feedback section is the weakest part of the cast and am glad that there wasn't much of it this week. :)
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2010
    well, from what we've learned so far, glenn needs to be on all the time, i should read the dictionary instead of news, and quin just needs to swear a lot in british.
    edited November 2010
    noodle said:
    well, from what we've learned so far, glenn needs to be on all the time, i should read the dictionary instead of news, and quin just needs to swear a lot in british.
    That would be enough for me. Heck, Chris wouldn't even have to create a show outline.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2010
    noodle said:

well. i guess i would say the same to quin.

As a Brit it always fascinates me when Americans like to listen to us speak :) Your voice is so cute though - and yes, I feel slightly embarrassed saying that out loud.
    edited November 2010
    ~noodle's got a fanboy~
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:
    ~noodle's got a fanboy~

The RPGCast is now accepting Noodle and Quin fan letters, love poems (preferably haikus), and ballads.
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:
    ~noodle's got a fanboy~

You say that like she only has ONE.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Using our site's own reviews, here is the breakdown of "good 'RPGs'" on the last three Nintendo consoles (minimum aggregate score of 3.5):

N64:
    1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    2. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

GameCube:
    1. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    2. Chibi Robo
    3. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    4. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
    5. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
    6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    8. Mega Man X: Command Mission
    9. Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2
    10. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
    11. Skies of Arcadia
    12. Summoner: A Goddess Reborn
    13. Tales of Symphonia
    14. X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Wii:
    1. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Fate
    2. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
    3. Fire Embem: Radiant Dawn
    4. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
    5. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
    6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    7. Little King's Story
    8. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    9. Okami
    10. Rune Factory: Frontier
    11. Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~
    12. Super Paper Mario
    13. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Noodle seems to have many fanboys. Go Noodle!
    No, thats MADDNESS. Two D's
    You heard him, double-Ds!

I promise I'll start listening more regularly once I find my battery charger. Pardon me while I go off and swear in American...
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the research Clix. Dark Alliance, Summoner 2, the PSO games, and SoA were ports, Mega Man, Twilight Princess, and X-Men were multi-system releases, and Chibi Robo is a platformer so I'm not sure why we covered it. Even letting Four Swords slide and calling Pokemon Coliseum 2 a "good" "RPG" (arguable on both counts), that only leaves 6 GC exclusives. Take them out, and that leaves only 4 good, exclusive RPGs on the GameCube at the time. So if someone wants to complain about the Wii being a bad system for RPGs, like I said on the podcast you're much better off now with a Wii than you were with a GC or N64.

After we stopped recording I remembered the other 2010 RPGs I played that made me laugh often -- Nier and Mimana Iyar Chronicle. I had a brainfart when I was put on the spot.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    I felt Resonance of Fate had pretty funny scenes in it, as well as being probably my favourite 360 JRPG released this year. Of course as mentioned in the podcast it hasn't exactly been swamped by competition. Also just want to mention Baten Kaitos on the end of the GameCube RPG list (it very narrowly missed out on that 3.5 average Clix used), as I would put it above at least a couple of those games myself. (Was mentioned on the podcast, hadn't quite got to that point yet ^^)

With regards to clich
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:
    ~noodle's got a fanboy~
    Absobloomin'lutely :heart:
    edited November 2010
    :wow::eh::blush:
    edited November 2010
    Who's for creating a noodle fan-club?