If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Eorzea Will Remain Free for Another Month

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited November 2010 in Latest Updates
Final Fantasy XIV hasn't quite gone free-to-play yet, but it looks like Square-Enix still doesn't intend to charge subscription fees for it anytime soon. This should be good news for the people out there who like the game.

[Link]

Comments

• ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    more like the extended the beta test lol. I keep saying this but SE should not have launched an incomplete game...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    i'm just glad i get to play for another month for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Shadowcat said:
    more like the extended the beta test lol. I keep saying this but SE should not have launched an incomplete game...

Show me an MMO that isn't patched left right and centre within 3 months of launch. Then we'll talk.
    And please, do not say FFXI. It had dozens of patches in the time between launch and when we got it.
  • L337_L355L337_L355 Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    At least SE is trying to get it running properly. I don't know if I'll be picking it up, but I'm glad that they're putting effort into this for the people who already have.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:
    Show me an MMO that isn't patched left right and centre within 3 months of launch. Then we'll talk.
    And please, do not say FFXI. It had dozens of patches in the time between launch and when we got it.

FFXI had plenty of patches after the NA release, too... >.>
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Wait... people don't get paid to play this game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    The only launch I remember going smoothly was Dark Age of Camelot, and that was forever ago.
  • colormonstercolormonster Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    It's a good move by them. They admitted their mistakes and stated that they're giving another month so that it would give people a fair chance to try out the new patches coming out... which is a surprise coming from a company like SE.
  • EthosEthos Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:
    Yeah, this really seems like a different beast, Paws. Not the usual "bunch of patches" which is absolutely to be expected. This seemed like more of a "let's try to fix this broken game". Not saying people are wrong to like or enjoy it. I'm sure the enjoyment is genuine and I wouldn't knock that. I'm just pointing out that it looks a little silly to try and defend the game saying that it isn't busted. It was a little irresponsible of SE to release it before it was ready, so it's great that they're offering no subscription for the time being. They wouldn't be doing that if they themselves thought the game was worth it.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, but that's bull. There was a higher level of expectations because it's SE; that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to the same measuring stick as Blizzard. Beta stopped at 40. Scarlet Monastery Cathedral was end game! Nobody knew how the hell to get into UBRS, because the drop rate on the key pieces was 5%. They launched with broken abilities, busted quests, horribly unbalanced classes, incomplete zones (some, like Azshara, are only JUST NOW being completed, or in this case redone). They pulled out numerous features -- thankfully, we've seen most of them return or be streamlines (I'm still waiting for my Open Door ability back on my Mage *shakefist*) There was a massive dead zone between 35 and 40 where there was nowhere to quest, and Blizzard's answer was "Run SM some more, k?" And that's just off the top of my head without any research.

It's definitely true DAOC had a good launch; they took the smart path and took a huge step back to what they could put into the game at launch that was finished and polished. However, I can only imagine SE was leery of what ended up happening to the game: It's a good title that never got great, possibly because the content was added back to the game so slowly (and no doubt for other compelling reasons like competition from too many sources).
  • EthosEthos Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that's different than a broken interface. Content within game =/= game mechanics. Again, there's nothing wrong with adoring the game. I'm just saying it comes across as bad journalism to not admit that the game came out before it should have. I'm not talking about the nit-picky things you are.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    The problem isn't so much that Square Enix is being held to a higher standard; everyone has been held to a higher standard since they're competing against World of Warcraft in its current state. And even with its many flaws at launch, WoW's basic systems were pretty accessible and the game was fun to play... and it has only gotten more polished and accessible since launch.

Most of the comparisons I've seen with FFXIV haven't been to WoW, though, they've been to FFXI. I've mostly heard fans complain that FFXIV took out many of the good systems that its predecessor had, and that seems like a geunine problem that can't be blamed on launch issues.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited November 2010
    Blizzard has an accessible basic interface that's been improved over the years by user-created tweaks. It's one of the reasons I'm curious why XI and XIV never allowed modding.
    As for the UI, tedious isn't the same as broken, but we'll agree to disagree on that one. The problem with the FFXI users was they whinged and hollered XIV had damn well better be different and now everyone else wants to know why it isn't like XI. Can't win for losing :)

Ocelot: I compare it to WoW because people look back at the launch with rose-tinted glasses. Even the most successful MMO ever had a crap start.
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    They rushed the PC version, plain and simple.
    They wanted to beat Cataclysm to market, and it screwed them.

The plan was to originally release both the PS3 and PC versions at the same time worldwide, and honestly if they had kept working on it another 6-7 months from launch until the PS3 version does release, it would be better.
    However, a lot of the changes are coming from customer outcry, and I'm glad that they did rush the PC version, then when I get the PS3 version in March, it should be a vastly different experience from some of these changes.
  • RalsuRalsu Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    At least no one can use the tired "paying to beta test" complaint.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    My problems with both XI and XIV completely revolve around how terrible the UI is for both of them. Having played both, I can excuse XI for when it came out, but XIV? I can go play any of a huge number of F2P mmos that have a better UI, and that's just sad. I shouldn't prefer keyboard based camera controls over simple mouselook.

Now, I might be out of date on XIV now, since I played the beta, but it was a jarring enough issue that I couldn't make it far enough into it to test any decent amount of content. Have the controls gotten any better, or does it still feel like you're fighting through horrific lag to shift the camera with the mouse? By which I mean, does it not have acceleration/deceleration when you shift it around?
    edited November 2010
    the whole mouse/lag issue has been resolved with release. i had a smiliar problem in beta, and ended up running around like i was drunk.

but no, you still have to move the camera with the keyboard. however, ffxiv still has a better camera then *cough*aion*cough*. it would be excellent if you could move the camera like in ffxi, where you just move the mouse to the direction you want the camera.

in cases of UI.. i like FFXI's much better, only cause it's a lot cleaner and i don't have to hit the spacebar first to chat. the menus are a lot faster and equipment changes are also a lot faster. in FFXIV, the equipment menu is very sluggish and slow. i don't mind the UI in ffxiv.. there are just things i like and don't like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:
    Blizzard has an accessible basic interface that's been improved over the years by user-created tweaks. It's one of the reasons I'm curious why XI and XIV never allowed modding.
    As for the UI, tedious isn't the same as broken, but we'll agree to disagree on that one. The problem with the FFXI users was they whinged and hollered XIV had damn well better be different and now everyone else wants to know why it isn't like XI. Can't win for losing :)

Ocelot: I compare it to WoW because people look back at the launch with rose-tinted glasses. Even the most successful MMO ever had a crap start.

Paws I refuse to compare 14 to 11 but I did expect SE to launch the game with the complaints from the beta test more or less taken care of. The main two complaints I keep hearing no matter where I go are that the targeting system is totally broken(makes it near impossible to target party members) and that the crafting system is somewhat broken and it makes hard to work/overly complicated. Also with the current market system in place it also makes it hard to find raw materials and in a game where you're pretty much required(don't argue..I've been in this discussion before) to craft to maintain your equipment this is bad!(sorta goes with the somewhat broken crafting system too) These were also complaints in the beta test...

The content complaints I sorta ignore as that always gets added by updates ^^
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited November 2010
    The crafting system issue (failing too often) was fixed within 3 or 4 days. The menu system for it is receiving an overhaul next month, actually -- adding the much needed most used recipe list. Also, I don't craft and I maintain my gear just fine. It's called the economy; there's plenty of full time crafters who repair for mats (and that's outside my linkshell, not people in it). Yeah, in Beta that would have been different, as the pool of people would have been too small to support that function.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:

This rant might remind some people.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited November 2010
    Paws said:
    The crafting system issue (failing too often) was fixed within 3 or 4 days. The menu system for it is receiving an overhaul next month, actually -- adding the much needed most used recipe list. Also, I don't craft and I maintain my gear just fine. It's called the economy; there's plenty of full time crafters who repair for mats (and that's outside my linkshell, not people in it). Yeah, in Beta that would have been different, as the pool of people would have been too small to support that function.

This hasn't happened to the game yet but I can see where crafters would get very tired of fixing everyone's stuff(constant requests. AKA[angry crafter]: FIX IT YOURSELF!). For now it works for them but later it could start to be a chore that no one wants to do....

Also I can see inflation hitting FF14 but it's only been a month or two so it's not enough time for people to really hoard items or cash...it usually takes quite awhile for this to hit any MMO where you can buy and sell almost anything...

the last thing is really my opinion: You can't count on anyone to do something for you so in the end you're just stuck doing it. All these reasons are why I feel that crafting is 100% mandatory in FF14...or possibly will be...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    noodle said:
    the whole mouse/lag issue has been resolved with release.
    No, it has not. It has been improved, but the mouse is still noticeably floaty if your FPS drops too low. And by too low I mean 35-ish.
    noodle said:
    you still have to move the camera with the keyboard....it would be excellent if you could move the camera like in ffxi, where you just move the mouse to the direction you want the camera.
    This is, in fact, exactly how it works. Just hold down the right mouse button to move the camera.
    noodle said:
    ...and i don't have to hit the spacebar first to chat.
    Either the Nov or Dec update is planned to institute more chat features, including a mode where chat mode is entered as soon as you start typing when you're using a gamepad. So there is that. No idea if it will also be able to be toggled if you're just using the numpad scheme from XI. Otherwise, if you're using a mouse and keyboard, the interface is designed to use the main typing area of the keyboard as the primary, so it makes sense to have to hit a key to enter chat mode.
    noodle said:
    FFXIV, the equipment menu is very sluggish and slow.

On the bright side, they *are* tweaking the item and equip menus, but in functionality and sorting. On the other hand, no word on whether the menu lag itself is going anywhere. Which I agree, is really annoying. They seem to be trying to remove steps to get to certain menus or actions, but they're saying nothing as to whether the inherent lag is going to be addressed at all.

EDIT:
    Shadowcat said:
    This hasn't happened to the game yet but I can see where crafters would get very tired of fixing everyone's stuff(constant requests. AKA[angry crafter]: FIX IT YOURSELF!). For now it works for them but later it could start to be a chore that no one wants to do....
    Well, the cool thing is that if you want something repaired, you can put it up in your character's bazaar as such, along with a price you're willing to pay for the repair. Then anyone who can repair it can just walk up and do it, and automatically get paid. So that helps. The crappy part is that the item cannot be equipped while in the bazaar, and it does take up a bazaar slot. So it's not all shouting for repairs, though a fair amount of that still goes on.

Speaking for myself, at least, performing repairs can net a nice income between crafting sessions. Especially if I'm out running around on another class. I can just swap to a tool, do a repair, net some quick cash, and carry on. Assuming I have the right class leveled and am carrying the repair material, that is.

And then there are the NPCs that will repair most gear types to 75% for a fee.
    edited November 2010
    I'd expect smart crafters to start charging a surcharge for repairs if that becomes a widespread issue.
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    shoptroll said:
    This rant might remind some people.

But you may notice that in Gabe's post, he says, "My opinion is that WOW is the best MMO ever made. The problem is that I don't get to play it nearly as much as I'd like." WoW's biggest problem at release was the player influx was so massive that Blizzard's servers simply couldn't handle it, thus resulting in lots of lag, server outages, and glitches related to overpopulation. Very few people will claim that WoW wasn't fun at release (at least, during the rare times that it was playable).

FFXIV's problems are pretty much the opposite of that. I played up through the end of the beta and, IMO, it was just a terrible game. It was worse than FFXI was at release, which is especially inexcusable since SE has had 8 years of experience to learn from since then, not to mention that they should have been learning from the lessons of other MMORPGs over the last 8 years. I see a lot of promises about how they're planning to make the game better in the future, but I've still got no reason to play the game until those promises are implemented.
    edited November 2010
    Unless you speak fluent Japanese, imported a copy and played on their servers, you didn't play FFXI at release :P
    edited November 2010
    Minneyar said:
    But you may notice that in Gabe's post, he says, "My opinion is that WOW is the best MMO ever made. The problem is that I don't get to play it nearly as much as I'd like." WoW's biggest problem at release was the player influx was so massive that Blizzard's servers simply couldn't handle it, thus resulting in lots of lag, server outages, and glitches related to overpopulation. Very few people will claim that WoW wasn't fun at release (at least, during the rare times that it was playable).

I wasn't implying it was broken on release. I was saying it wasn't a smooth ride at launch. Which reinforces Paws' point about it having a "crap start".

Being unable to handle the user load is just as big an issue as a broken game. If not worse, because of the fact people are paying you a monthly fee to connect to your service. If there's any extended downtime, that's their money you're wasting.
    edited November 2010
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    No, it has not. It has been improved, but the mouse is still noticeably floaty if your FPS drops too low. And by too low I mean 35-ish.
    if you switch it to hardware mouse in config, it's fine.
    This is, in fact, exactly how it works. Just hold down the right mouse button to move the camera.
    actually, that isn't what i'm talking about. i hate the right mouse button/camera movement. i told you specifically i was referencing FFXI. let me know if you have not played the game. in FFXI, if you move your mouse to the edge of the screen without using any buttons, it moves the camera in that direction. this is what i speak of.

and i'm not a crafter either, but it's really easy to find someone to repair your gear for you. especially if you have people in your LS that like to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    EmeraldSuzaku said:

Well, the cool thing is that if you want something repaired, you can put it up in your character's bazaar as such, along with a price you're willing to pay for the repair. Then anyone who can repair it can just walk up and do it, and automatically get paid. So that helps. The crappy part is that the item cannot be equipped while in the bazaar, and it does take up a bazaar slot. So it's not all shouting for repairs, though a fair amount of that still goes on.

Speaking for myself, at least, performing repairs can net a nice income between crafting sessions. Especially if I'm out running around on another class. I can just swap to a tool, do a repair, net some quick cash, and carry on. Assuming I have the right class leveled and am carrying the repair material, that is.

And then there are the NPCs that will repair most gear types to 75% for a fee.
    The thing is no one wants 75% they want 100%. Also this goes with my other gripe: Inflation. For now prices are low but later they could go up as more and more gill starts floating around(two months is not enough time for this to hit). The crafters could decide to rebel and charge you 500K(or some other insane amount) to repair your rare weapon or something...

Also another thing with NPC shops: Players are lazy! I've seen this with FFXI as some people skip the NPC shops and go straight for the Auction House when the NPCs have the same item for a lower price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    noodle said:
    if you switch it to hardware mouse in config, it's fine.
    Better? Yes. Fine? Maybe for some people. Fixed? Not hardly.

noodle said:
    actually, that isn't what i'm talking about. i hate the right mouse button/camera movement. i told you specifically i was referencing FFXI. let me know if you have not played the game. in FFXI, if you move your mouse to the edge of the screen without using any buttons, it moves the camera in that direction. this is what i speak of.
    Oh, I'm quite familiar with how the mouse camera works in XI. I still have an active account. While yes, XI *does* have "mouse to edge of screen to have things scroll" functionality, it also has right-click direct camera movement. Since the latter is far more precise and easier to control than the former, I had assumed that that was in fact what you were talking about. And not everyone who plays XIV seems to know it exists. You could also have been referencing the (really really horrible) camera scheme that was in the game before they fixed the camera, wherein it functioned like an emulated analog stick. You'd be amazed at the number of people who straight-up stopped using any kind of mouse camera before that particular wrinkle got fixed, and just never knew it had been.

noodle said:
    and i'm not a crafter either, but it's really easy to find someone to repair your gear for you. especially if you have people in your LS that like to do it.
    Yep. Never had a problem with that. The two big issues with the durability system are the rate of decrease and the fact that smallclothes degrade, too. Fortunately, both things are getting tweaked. Durability is going to be tweaked to decrease less, and smallclothes won't have any durability at all.
    Shadowcat said:
    The thing is no one wants 75% they want 100%. Also this goes with my other gripe: Inflation. For now prices are low but later they could go up as more and more gill starts floating around(two months is not enough time for this to hit). The crafters could decide to rebel and charge you 500K(or some other insane amount) to repair your rare weapon or something...

Also another thing with NPC shops: Players are lazy! I've seen this with FFXI as some people skip the NPC shops and go straight for the Auction House when the NPCs have the same item for a lower price.
    75% is perfectly serviceable if nobody is around to affect a full repair. And while I have seen pricing steady out, repair costs have never gone up. There may end up being a few people who want to gouge the rest, and yes, the high-end gear with rare repair components will get more expensive to repair, but the sheer number of players able to offer up repairs should do some good at keeping prices low. The real kickers are potentially jewelry and accessories, which the NPCs apparently can't repair at all. Depending on how their effectiveness drops off when they drop below the durability thresholds, and what bonuses they give int he first place, accessory repair could be where the money's at as far as repairing goes.

And yes, people are lazy. I laugh every time I see a crafter selling a Rank 1 weapon or tool for 6-8 times the NPC vendor cost.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited November 2010
    The difference is that WoW was blizzards FIRST mmo, ff14 is SE second, but it's like they completely ignored all of their experience with ff11.

Also, while WoW may have had it's issues at start, as someone else pointed out, the core of it's mechanics were still fun and workable. There's a reason why FF14 has a 50 percent on metacritic, where as wow has a 93. WoW may have been broken, but it was a FUN broken game.

In before lolz expansions! Nope, the main wow game, as well as the expansions, all have separate metacritic scores.

also, it's not WoW's fault for being too good a game and or too popular to support the influx of gamers wanting to play it. I personally cannot equate the two releases, because it's a lot easier I'm guessing to just create more servers than it is to fix a broken game. Those are completely separate issues.
    sup?