If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

WTB Android Smartphone, need suggestions

MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 MemberFull Members
edited November 2010 in General Help & Advice
My internship begins in 5 months so I thought it was time for me to find a good Android Smartphone I can use. Yes an Android and not one of those fancy shmancy Iphone doohickeys. Since I won't have time to lug my books and stuff around when the residents decide to rail my ***, I'm looking for a functional enough phone with good specs and customizable functionality/apps. Iphone's are far too restrictive for me personally. I was initially planning on a Samsung Galaxy but that's what my brother bought so... yeah.

Any suggestions? I might take an HTC phone, but since I'm not really a phone maniac I'mlooking for good suggestions.

Comments

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Someone I work with has the HTC Desire and it's been very good to them.

A quick glane at the handset database I work on suggests it might be worth looking at the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Motorola Droid/Milestone and Samsung Galaxy S.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited November 2010
    I only have any sort of experience with the Droid X and the HTC Hero. The HTCs are actually some pretty nice phones. Obviously some are better, such as the Droid Icredible (can't remember it's non-Verizon name), but most Androids are pretty damn good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Going through the price ranges and stuff I have come to the realization that acquiring a higher tier phone like the Desire might leave me to have my overnight duty shifts taking care of patients on an empty stomach and possibly dehydrated. Not a good thing when you have to take BP measurements at 3am.

So it's time to lower my standards. I'm trying to get the best value from something on the $500 (approx. P20,000) range. The closest would probably be the HTC Wildfire, except for some reason I fell that I'm simply not amenable to the 320x240 screen which is practically abysmal by most standards. At least every other feature is almost the same. If $600+ phones are beyond my capacity then my only real condition would be something that has at least 480x320, at least 256mb RAM and at least a 528mhz. The Wildfire still runs pretty well, but that screen is just so damn tiny, and I'd hate it if the apps I'd think would be useful require a 480x320 screen.

Am I asking for too much? The medical field really isn't the glamorous high paying world TV tends to portray it. I went into my current training knowing this full well, but I guess when I look at a lot of my friends and family there are times when I just wonder if I could, or should, be training in a field that's posed to earn me more than what I'm likely to. Then again, medicine is the only thing I ever wanted to rally do, so as an extension I just try to make within my means. Technology included lol.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Checked the work db for those requirements and slightly lower on the price range and it might be worth checking out Motorola. Haven't looked at the availabilities but a couple that might be ok to check out would be the Motorola Flipside MB508 and Motorola BACKFLIP MB300.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2010
    I was in the same boat, had an iPod Touch and didn't want an iPhone. Went to buy a Droid and left with a Blackberry Torch. Haven't regretted it at all.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    I found a good deal for an HTC Desire that my aunt found in Beijing the other day and I might get it if I can.

Anyone here have any experience with rooting and customizing their phone OS? My friend suggested rooting the OS with Cynanogen Mod but I'm not really good with flashing phone OS.
This discussion has been closed.