If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy IV Will Be Complete

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited December 2010 in Latest Updates
Final Fantasy IV is no stranger to compilations, remakes, sequels, the PlayStation brand, and portable consoles. I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising, then, that it is getting a compilation of a remake and a sequel on a PlayStation-brand portable console.

[Link]

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Oh.My.God.

This will be awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Looks like se finally came to their senses with this one. All of those 3d ff games should have been on the psp in the first place.
    sup?
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2010
    I'll be the cranky party pooper. I am *so* *over* Square-Enix repackaging games it created in the 90s and selling them full retail every 3 years. This is ridiculous and I'm disappointed in anyone over the age of 18 who is excited by this announcement. You all get coal for Christmas and I hope your landlord increases your rent.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Maudren said:
    All of those 3d ff games should have been on the psp in the first place.

It's not sounding like this is the Matrix software version.

EDIT: @7th: Eh. There's a reason for this product to exist if you don't own a Wii. Even then, After Years is $29 in Nintendo Points, so basically you're buying that with FFIV and the new chapter tacked on for free. Which doesn't mean I don't agree with you on some level about repackaging the games. But then again, how many different editions/printings of seminal books like Dune and LotR exist?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    With, if the announcement is accurate, possibly a new graphic engine. Sounds sexy to me. I wonder if they will go the FF I/II route or 3D?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited December 2010
    I'm betting FF I/II. I doubt they've been keeping Matrix or another developer redoing all of After Years so the games are a consistent package.

Joystiq is reporting the same.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Sounds like 2d to me, too.

Now all we need is a proper 2d remake of FFIII and we'll be good. I was never impressed with the 3d DS one.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    I'm excited about this since I haven't played After Years yet. I'm curious if Square has a team who's whole job is all these remakes, or if it bounces around from group to group.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited December 2010
    7thCircle said:
    I'll be the cranky party pooper. I am *so* *over* Square-Enix repackaging games it created in the 90s and selling them full retail every 3 years. This is ridiculous and I'm disappointed in anyone over the age of 18 who is excited by this announcement. You all get coal for Christmas and I hope your landlord increases your rent.

This isn't terribly bad... just mistimed. It's kind of early for this. FFIV DS is still pretty recent, and FFIV Advance was released only shortly before that remake. I'm sure I'll get the IV Comp some day, but not until it's >$20 (did the same with FFI and II on the PSP). I'm kind of luke warm about IV and its asinine plot, but I am curious to see the sequel (though not enough to pay $30 on the Wii). I'll probably play this sometime in late 2012. Hopefully it's more than a sexy 2D graphical remake. IV has nothing in the way of character customization (even FFI let you pick your party at the start). The DS's augments were a nice addition and made the gameplay actually mean something. If it's going to be built around FFIVA... ugh. Hopefully they will impliment SOMETHING. I heard the sequel has some neat features (something about CT-esque combo techniques and the phases of the moon); hope they get retrofitted to the original.
    edited December 2010
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    Now all we need is a proper 2d remake of FFIII and we'll be good. I was never impressed with the 3d DS one.

I was always surprised the Wonderswan version never was completed on the GBA.
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited December 2010
    This sounds promising, hopefully it comes out here.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Well I for one am happy about this, quite possibly the RPG I've replayed the most and the DS version didn't really win me over. I haven't been able to play the After Years and the interim scenario between the two stories is more than worth this release, let alone the new sprite work.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • pcaballepcaballe Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Did anyone else just get extremely turn on? *goes buys PSP and waits in a closet for sometime 2011*
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Now a 2d remake of FFV and FFVI and we are set. Also they can bring them in 1080p resolution to the PS3 in the PSN.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • DaylightDiesDaylightDies Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    FFIV is my favorite game, period. That said, count me in on the "another remake??" boat. Cmon Square, make something original and make it as good as these games were back in the day! The nostalgia bit can only take you so far. If you want to sell on the name, make a prequel or another sequel or something.

On a side, guess I will stop buying WiiWare chapters of After Years for now :)
    Bean Forever
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2010
    7thCircle said:
    Well you just shush. Not everyone has access to the after years, and it will be nicer to play in it's (originally intended) portable form anyway.

Also, they still aren't anywhere close to the number of times Falcoms has re-released Ys I&II at full price.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2010
    7thCircle said:
    OMG OMG OMG. This better come over.

"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited December 2010
    If this is remade ala FF1 and 2 on PSP. Then they got my money.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Now where is that FF7 remake? If they can afford to remake the old FF's over and over again, why not FF7?

...nah, I'm not being serious. I know they're saving that for a financial crisis of some sort, lol. Unless I somehow missed it on a handheld. In that case...DAMN HANDHELDS!!
  • BlitzmageBlitzmage Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    I WANT AN FFVI REMAKE!!! why cant they just do that... i miss when SE was a good company
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited December 2010
    You mean you miss when SE was two good companies. :p
  • Sir ErdrickSir Erdrick Overlord Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Final Fantasy IV must hold the record as the RPG with the most versions of it floating around. There is he original Super Famicom version, the Easy Type version, the US SNES version and ports to the Playstation, the Wonderswan Color and the GBA and then there is the DS remake. At this point, why not port it over to anything with a display screen?
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    It's been a long time since I played IV and I never did get After Years so I might get this. Far from excited though since I have played IV and I'm not sure on After Years.
    edited December 2010
    Sir Erdrick said:
    Final Fantasy IV must hold the record as the RPG with the most versions of it floating around. There is he original Super Famicom version, the Easy Type version, the US SNES version and ports to the Playstation, the Wonderswan Color and the GBA and then there is the DS remake. At this point, why not port it over to anything with a display screen?

I still think FFI holds that honor.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy#Development
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2010
    Pimpalicious said:
    It's been a long time since I played IV and I never did get After Years so I might get this.
    Pretty much my situation -- no AY, and portable is sort of my go-to currently.
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Damn it. Me and my principles. I have bought every incarnation of this game from 1991 to now. At least its not $69.99 like it was the first time around.
  • Sui-kunSui-kun Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Yet again?

If Squenix is pushing remakes, then isn't it about time for Final Fantasy V or VI? Instead, they're doing IV over again. Over again. Over again. What's more, people are going to buy it.

A year later, they're going to announce a PS3 remake. And people are going to buy it.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Sui-kun, if they do announce a PS3 remake of FFIV I damn well am buying that. FFIV in current gen tech? Hell yes!
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Hell, I am surprised they did not remake it in a new format like its poor cousins Lufia and Front Mission.

They should make it a third-person shooter. Seriously. Have Tetsuya Nomura redo all the character's designs from the ground up. You should not be able to tell men apart from women at all! I cannot wait to see the cut scene where Kain and Cecil fight by jumping up really high in the air and clash weapons while seeing how close they can get their faces together while oriented vertically opposite one another.

They should rename the characters too, so the game fits in more with recent additions to the series. They should rename Cecil to Kilometer, Kain will be Fahrenheit, Rydia will be Mist, Rosa will be Cumulonimbus, Yang will be Butterknife, Cid will be Cid (duh, don't eat the Sacred Cow), Palom and Porom will actually now be the two aspects of the A.I. in Kilometer's Gunswordguitar, and Edge will be called Ashley. FuSoYa will be cut from the game as there can only be one ugly character per Nomura game (in this case, Cid). The plot will change to eliminate the need for exploration. The Red Wings are a magically modified branch of the military that all fight out of uniform and with different weapons. For instance, Fahrenheit fights with a sharpened STOP sign. It actually now turns out that Golbez is a figment of Kilometer's imagination and at the end there is a twist that places Fahrenheit as the true hero as Kilometer succumbs to his dark side. The crystals have been replaced by the World Hearts--magical stone hearts that bring people's dreams to life and are the sole source of hope in an otherwise bleak and enemies visible in the field world.

The theme song, "My Heart Is Made Shining" will be performed by renowned Japanese vampire, Gackt.

I do not know what Final Fantasy would have done if Square had not fixed it by making everyone fly and have cyclical conversations with themselves.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited December 2010
    7thCircle said:
    Isn't that a bit self-centred? I'm probably in the same boat as you are - I've played three different versions of this game - but as a fan of FF I'd like to see as many people as possible enjoying the series and it would be a shame if they didn't have a classic like IV easily available. You mustn't rule out the possibility that a lot of potential fans could be converted because they happen to have a PSP and happen to give FFIV a chance, who otherwise would never have chanced into experiencing the game.

I feel a bit like a missionary when it comes to FF. If just one more soul can be saved it's worth printing a whole new set of bibles.

And chaoticprime, you just wrote the best post in the history of the forum.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux