If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Secret of Mana is Coming to the iPhone

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited January 2011 in Latest Updates
Christmas is coming, and Square Enix is celebrating the coming holiday by releasing a new port of Secret of Mana. If you don't see how this is ironic and appropriate, then you really need to buy the game and play it for yourself.

[Link]

Comments

• MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Why the iphone? God I hate you square enix.
    sup?
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Bring Legend of Mana to US PSN now!!!!!
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Maudren said:
    Why the iphone? God I hate you square enix.

Because it's the cool thing to do?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    But does it support multiplayer?
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Raging ambivalence here!
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Enhanced sprites and backgrounds, no multiplayer, crappy controls. How can you say no?
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2010
    Meh, game sucks anyway, so I don't really care. It had potential, but it would take a remake and not a port to fix the ruinous gameplay issues.
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    watcher said:
    Raging ambivalence here!

You sir, win. What do you win? The Internets. Yes. All of them.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    I am Jack's total lack of interest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Ugh. Why? Why are you not releasing it for the DS or PSP or SOMETHING other than a cell phone. Even Wiiware or psn or xbox live.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited December 2010
    It's on the Virtual Console already...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    HJ+ said:
    Meh, game sucks anyway, so I don't really care. It had potential, but it would take a remake and not a port to fix the ruinous gameplay issues.

Wait, what? Did I wake up in the opposite universe today? I can't think of many action RPGs on the SNES that had better gameplay -- I can't think of any that were multiplayer.
    edited December 2010
    If he's not trolling then I guess he means if the other 2 characters gets stuck on screen.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Eh. It was enjoyable but the combat had issues. Stacking damage and slow resolution was annoying. The fixed it out of the engine with Evermore. But as a single-player experience Mana's combat never felt responsive.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited December 2010
    LordKaiser said:
    If he's not trolling then I guess he means if the other 2 characters gets stuck on screen.

Yes, I don't like the game so I must be trolling! Maybe I just don't like the retarded weapon/magic-leveling system, maybe I don't like how magic just stops everything and nukes the entire screen, turning bosses into a contest of who can spam magic first. Unfortunately, to ever win the magic-spam wars, you need to grind your magic which, like I said, is a huge pain. The hit detection is also severely lacking, and the AI controlled characters are a complete joke. I just said it has some potential that drowns in unfortunate gameplay issues, which is true as far as I'm concerned. You're free to like the game regardless, but lol @ simply denying them and saying I'm trolling.

Also, inb4 people tell me none of these things are true and I just suck at the game.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    HJ+ said:
    Yes, I don't like the game so I must be trolling! Maybe I just don't like the retarded weapon/magic-leveling system, maybe I don't like how magic just stops everything and nukes the entire screen, turning bosses into a contest of who can spam magic first. Unfortunately, to ever win the magic-spam wars, you need to grind your magic which, like I said, is a huge pain. The hit detection is also severely lacking, and the AI controlled characters are a complete joke. I just said it has some potential that drowns in unfortunate gameplay issues, which is true as far as I'm concerned. You're free to like the game regardless, but lol @ simply denying them and saying I'm trolling.

Also, inb4 people tell me none of these things are true and I just suck at the game.

Well, when you come out swinging saying that the game sucks and has "ruinous gameplay issues" without actually elaborating, and then toss that attitude around, it certainly looks like you're flaming a classic game just to flame it on a forum where it is held in regard, which pretty much is trolling.
    edited December 2010
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    Well, when you come out swinging saying that the game sucks and has "ruinous gameplay issues" without actually elaborating, and then toss that attitude around, it certainly looks like you're flaming a classic game just to flame it on a forum where it is held in regard, which pretty much is trolling.

Why do I need to elaborate on something that's plainly obvious to anyone who's played the game? In fact, I did elaborate; I said I think the game sucks... because of the ruinous gameplay issues. Whether or not you consider the issues ruinous, it shouldn't be hard to see why I do. For your own sake, stop this trolling-nonsense. It just makes you look desperate since you're using a worthless clutch argument to try and discredit someone who dislikes your favorite game.
    edited December 2010
    HJ+ said:
    Why do I need to elaborate on something that's plainly obvious to anyone who's played the game? In fact, I did elaborate; I said I think the game sucks... because of the ruinous gameplay issues. Whether or not you consider the issues ruinous, it shouldn't be hard to see why I do. For your own sake, stop this trolling-nonsense. It just makes you look desperate since you're using a worthless clutch argument to try and discredit someone who dislikes your favorite game.
    You just said it "obvious to anyone who PLAYED and REMEMBER the game." If you had written that in your first post then it would not sound like trolling at all but you din't elaborated on it and opened a sentence with "this game suck" who is a common troll opener then you vaguely mentioned gameplay mechanics so I suspected that you MAY be trolling but I never said "Don't feed the troll" who would be my replay if you only just say "This game sucks". There's no reason to get so defensive about a comment in a messageboard just chill out.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    I would like to say that stating there are "ruinous gameplay issues" without also stating exactly what those issues are in the same post is not elaborating; at least not nearly enough for those that don't know, don't remember, or don't mind them (and thus would not have noticed them).

That said, I can see how the issues mentioned in your second post could ruin the game for some people, though I myself don't remember having problems with hit detection, though I do remember attacks had a random chance of "missing" and/or the enemies and player characters had a random chance of "dodging" attacks like they would in a turn based game.
    edited December 2010
    And I honestly don't remember because it had been years since I played. I only remember the plot and how colorful the game was. Oh I also remember the extra rare drops expecially all the final orbs.
    edited December 2010

Well, that assumes that I have some sort duty to explain why I dislike the game in order to... I don't know, avoid hurting peoples' feelings or something, which I really don't. The other people didn't need to elaborate, although I could ask the guy who complained about it coming out on the iPhone of all things to elaborate, since I find his implied dislike of the iPhone deeply offensive (not really). If someone who is unfamiliar with/forgot about the game wanted to know more, they could just have asked. For all intents and purposes, however, it was a perfectly adequately explanation. Do you not often hear people who say they dislike an RPG because of its story, for example?

As for me being defensive, eh, not really. I'm just arguing for the hell of it. Although now I'm no longer bored, so adieu.
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    HJ+ said:
    Well, that assumes that I have some sort duty to explain why I dislike the game in order to... I don't know, avoid hurting peoples' feelings or something, which I really don't.

You're not hurting anybody's feelings, but you do need to explain why you dislike the game if you want to say it has "ruinous gameplay issues" and not sound like a troll. I mean, the game's got an 8.7 average score on GameFAQs; surely you didn't assume that you could pop into a thread about the game, trash it, and everybody would just nod their heads and move along. Calling other people desperate and saying that they "obviously" haven't played or don't remember the game doesn't help.

I actually played through the game with my wife about a year ago and we had a lot of fun with it. The hit detection is a little funky, but we got used to it easily and then it wasn't a problem. I like the weapon & magic leveling system, although they did get pretty grindy at higher levels -- but the benefit of gaining levels at higher levels is negligible, anyway. I'm not sure I entirely follow your complaint about the magic; most spell effects don't entirely stop the action until you get the fancy level 9 effects (which require a lot of grinding); on the other hand, I thought that getting the timing right for layering magic effects was fun.

Its problems aside, it's still got cute graphics and a fun plot, the combat is fast and fun (well, unless the hit detection ruins it for you), and it's obviously designed to be played with friends. How many multiplayer action RPGs on the SNES -- or from that era in general -- do you think are better? Seiken Densetsu 3 comes close, but honestly I'm not as fond of it; your complaints about the magic system would be more accurate when applied to that game, where it basically becomes turn-based at the end due to the ineffectiveness of physical attacks when compared to magic... but that's getting off the subject.
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    I don't think the word "ruinous" applies to Secret of Mana. "Ruinous" gameplay issues would be issues that make a game either unplayable or virtually unplayable... like the ridiculous encounter rate in Black Sigil or the thirst/weapon damage system of Dark Cloud which made it virtually impossible to beat the first world if you set up the shop too early and were not able to keep getting free handouts from the mayor.

Secret of Mana didn't have any game-breaking problems. Sure, the magic system that paused everything got old after a while, and it was really hard to level up everybody in every weapon, but the 3-player Action RPG element of it more than made up for those discrepancies... which is why releasing it for the iPhone sounds like such a bad idea, since only 1 person can use an iPhone at any given time.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited December 2010
    SoM has that issue with your weapon strikes not being syncronized with the damage sounds or animations, which I always found looked really strange though not until recently did I discover it's because the game wasn't originally intended for the SNES but was ported over in the last minute. It's just a minor nitpick and doesn't come close to being a game breaker unless you're a perfectionist with OCD.

That being said I never liked the game that much. I've played it for a while but I always lose interest in lighthearted RPGs before finishing them.
    Currently playing:
    Dragon Age: Inquisition | Final Fantasy VII | The Banner Saga | Ys: Origins | Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    "Secret of Mana is coming to..."

OMG! This is awesome! I gotta click this. Yay! Another chance to play...

"...the Iphone."

Biggest letdown caused by an obstructed thread title I've ever experienced.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    HJ+ said:
    The criticism is a nonsense, it is not incumbent upon anyone to fully justify an off hand opinion. Please remember people, not everyone holds your favourite game in the same regard as you do. You are not making any objective point, but your comment was more than sufficient to elucidate your view on the game.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited December 2010
    Unless the game had the same problem as Legend of Mana that your attacks would be cancelled If the enemy begins to cast a spell or charge an attack. I don't remember if it was like that or just miss like you said.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Ign says it will be available tomorrow for the price of $8.99 USD, a little too steep if you ask me.

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/114/1141038p1.html
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Yeowch. 9 bucks? I could buy Zenonia and Zenonia 2 and have 2 completely new experence for a fraction of the cost (.99 cents a piece) rather then pay 9 bucks for a rehash... Sad.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited December 2010
    I'll elaborate on the iphone thing by using myself as an example.

I use t mobile, have a 2 year contract. If I want to play this new version of secret of mana, I have to

A: purchaes an iphone out of contract for about 3 to 5 hundred dollars, or
    B: purchase an iphone for maybe 200 dollars, and get stuck with a 2 year contract and monthly fee that's probably one of the highest phone rates in the industry....while paying for my other phone bill at the same time...

This is why cell phones completely fail as a viable gaming platform, especially when they have exclusive games. It's nigh impossible to play these games if you don't have the phone or service, because of all the hoops you have to jump through, and even if you DO have the service, that service is in place to give you the discount on the phone you curretly have, so you'd have to pay full price for your new phone of choice.

AND, let's say you do find a cell phone for cheap so you can play your exclusive game, what if there's no other games on that phone you want to play? You gonna spend all that time and money for just one game?

At least if it's exlusive on a real gaming console, there will likely be other games to play, you'll be able to find said console cheap, and you won't have to pay 200 dollars or more a month on a service plan if you want to get the console at a fair price.

tldr version, god I hate SE.
    sup?