If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Several PSX RPGs Slated for PSN Release

RosestormRosestorm Host of The SectorcastFull Members
edited January 2011 in Latest Updates
Have you been clamoring for your favorite RPGs from the PSX era to come to PSN? Help is on the way with a heavy injection of awesome to help relieve your symptoms.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2011/010311a.html
Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

Comments

• KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    I think the Playstation blog says Arc the Lad iii comes out tomorrow. Can someone verify?

-Kel
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Ahhh I was wondering when they would get around to Xenogears, it seemed pretty inevitable after FF9 came out.

I saw Saiyuki at an E3 years ago and wanted to pick it up, but never got around to it. It may not be the greatest game ever but I still want to give it a shot. Same goes for Threads of Fate, it's like the only PS1 Squaresoft game I never touched.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • Sir ErdrickSir Erdrick Overlord Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Hooray! I'll be able to finally play through all of Xenogears now! For whatever reason my copy locks up during a boss battle on disc 1 and I've never seen what happens after that point.
    It may not be the greatest game ever but I still want to give it a shot. Same goes for Threads of Fate, it's like the only PS1 Squaresoft game I never touched.
    I've always wanted to play this game too, but the somewhat inflated prices on the various market sites for a copy have dissuaded me from doing so. Now if only Suikoden II would be put on the PSN...
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Yes! Threads of Fate. I had a demo(really fun) but I never managed to get my hands on a copy of the full game so I guess I can now sooner or later...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Saiyuki is quite a fun game, glad to see it's being released on there.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Sir Erdrick said:
    Hooray! I'll be able to finally play through all of Xenogears now! For whatever reason my copy locks up during a boss battle on disc 1 and I've never seen what happens after that point.

Are you by chance playing it on a PS2 or PS3? There are some issues with Xenogears if you have certain rendering options turned on. If not, well, you get to play it now! Yay!
  • Sir ErdrickSir Erdrick Overlord Full Members
    edited January 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    Are you by chance playing it on a PS2 or PS3? There are some issues with Xenogears if you have certain rendering options turned on. If not, well, you get to play it now! Yay!

Happened on two different PSones and two PS2s with the filtering turned off and the disc speed set to normal. Unfortunately, I've lost my save file somewhere along the line. Oh well. I'm really looking forward to being able to carry it around with me on my PSP!
  • FudorahZubatFudorahZubat Monster Lover Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Yay! Threads of Fate. Personal opinion here, but one of the best action RPGs for the PSX if not THE best.
    My original copy is still covered in stickers from a particularly obnoxious phase I went through when I first got it (stickers, stickers on everything!).
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    ATL3 was an inevitability, what with ATL 1 and 2 already out on PSN. The other games are a nice, pleasant surprise. Especially Threads of Fate, more people should play it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Hey! There's a game missing on this list! Harvest Moon: Back to Nature was announced for PSN too! :(
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Nyx said:
    Hey! There's a game missing on this list! Harvest Moon: Back to Nature was announced for PSN too! :(

You know the PSN's gotten big when PSX shovelware's hitting the list. :yes:

Just kidding. All you Harvest Moon fans can put down your pitchforks and shovels, no need to kill me. :)

Seriously, nice to see the store selection diversifying. Always a good thing, says I.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    "Finally" is all I have to say. Putting Xenogears on the PSN is just a good idea, kind of like putting Earthbound on VC.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Totally Agree with you Bleu. I'm tres excited about getting my hands on Xeno in handheld. That's too good to pass up.
  • ChillmarshChillmarsh Mid20s Mutant Ninjaturtle Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Xenogears now available to a younger crowd. Gotta love it.
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I hope the new generation of graphic whores can see past the pixellation of the sprites in Xenogears.

Also nice to see Saiyuki gettin' some love. Too few people got to enjoy that one back when it was new.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Ctrl+F Suikoden II, Ctrl+F Suikoden II, Ctrl+F Suikoden II...

:(
  • FunctionFunction Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I recently purchased Suikoden on the PSN and enjoyed it, and I heard a lot about Suikoden II and how great it is, so why its taking them too long to put it on the PSN, it's been a while since they released Suikoden so its only natural that people would like to play the second one so comeon already..
  • L337_L355L337_L355 Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Awesomes, I'll finally get to give Saiyuki a go. I saw it when I went on a PSX binge at various GameStops when they were trying to sell all of their PSX inventory. I ended up with a couple dozen games including all but Saiyuki and ATL3. How's the ATL series? I'm thinking about trying it out once my funds have been restored after bills/ rent.
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2011
    ITT: Bit- er, female dogs don't know 'bout my custom firmware.
  • Liberi FataliLiberi Fatali New Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Sir Erdrick said:
    Happened on two different PSones and two PS2s with the filtering turned off and the disc speed set to normal. Unfortunately, I've lost my save file somewhere along the line. Oh well. I'm really looking forward to being able to carry it around with me on my PSP!

Hey, I have a bit of an off-topic question here -- perhaps you can help me. I have a PSP as well, but I do not own a PS3. Can I still get games like Xenogears via the PSN and play it on my PSP? If so, how does that work? I swear someone told me you had to have both a PS3 AND a PSP in order to get games onto your PSP -- is that true?
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    No that's not true, you can access the PSN store from your PSP using the wireless connection on it (not entirely sure how to if you haven't got a wireless router but should be instructions somewhere) you can download them directly onto the PSP memory card from there. I have a PSP and no PS3 and have played several PSN games like FF8/9, Front Mission 3 etc on it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Rage said:
    I hope the new generation of graphic whores can see past the pixellation of the sprites in Xenogears.

Also nice to see Saiyuki gettin' some love. Too few people got to enjoy that one back when it was new.

Actually, IGN's posting didn't even mention Saiyuki on there... maybe that's coming with Arc III? How is Arc the Lad? I've never played them. I always wanted to, but the set was $70 and at the time, that just wasn't in the cards. So what are they most like? More like Tactics or more like Suikoden?
    edited January 2011
    Severin Mira said:
    No that's not true, you can access the PSN store from your PSP using the wireless connection on it (not entirely sure how to if you haven't got a wireless router but should be instructions somewhere) you can download them directly onto the PSP memory card from there. I have a PSP and no PS3 and have played several PSN games like FF8/9, Front Mission 3 etc on it.

Dang, you must have a HUGE memory stick! ^_^ FF8 and 9 are 2 gig a piece! Every time I've tried to get one that big, I can never afford it. I go to GameStop is probably why... *ahem*... anyway, no I'm glad you're able to play them on your PSP... my 4 gig stick is just about full and my 2 gig probably would die just thinking about the sheer size of FF8 or 9. Where do you get your sticks? Maybe eBay has them cheaper. I'll need to look into it I guess. ^_^
    edited January 2011
    Liberi Fatali said:
    Hey, I have a bit of an off-topic question here -- perhaps you can help me. I have a PSP as well, but I do not own a PS3. Can I still get games like Xenogears via the PSN and play it on my PSP? If so, how does that work? I swear someone told me you had to have both a PS3 AND a PSP in order to get games onto your PSP -- is that true?

All you need is a valid PSN account and a working PSP that can go online, like Severin said. A PS3 HELPS, but it's not necessary.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited January 2011
    All good news here. I still haven't played Saiyuki or Arc 3 but I didn't really enjoy Arc 1 so I don't know. If you haven't played Xenogears, you NEED to try it.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    reionpremente said:
    Dang, you must have a HUGE memory stick! ^_^ FF8 and 9 are 2 gig a piece! Every time I've tried to get one that big, I can never afford it. I go to GameStop is probably why... *ahem*... anyway, no I'm glad you're able to play them on your PSP... my 4 gig stick is just about full and my 2 gig probably would die just thinking about the sheer size of FF8 or 9. Where do you get your sticks? Maybe eBay has them cheaper. I'll need to look into it I guess. ^_^

I am cheating a bit and transferring the game folders over to my 1TB external hard drive when I'm not playing them :p It's the 4GB stick I'm using. I'm still pretty amazed how great they still were on the PSP :D
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited January 2011
    LegendaryZoltan said:
    All good news here. I still haven't played Saiyuki or Arc 3 but I didn't really enjoy Arc 1 so I don't know. If you haven't played Xenogears, you NEED to try it.

Yeah, I was amazed at how much Arc 1 looked like Shining Force. I want to give it a try. I wonder though... how BIG will Xenogears be, I wonder? It's two discs, but the second disc seemed to only be written out as opposed the other disc. I really missed the gorgeous cutscenes on the first disc and wondered just what the heck happened to them. Am I the only one? Oh, and don't let first impressions bother you. Taking a sequel being better than the first is not uncommon. For example, Shining Force II was world's better than the first. I haven't played the Arc series to know but if anything holds true, it's that you sometimes can't tell how a series will turn out from the first impression of it. I just wish that Xenogears got a few more games based on IT'S lore.
    edited January 2011
    Severin Mira said:
    I am cheating a bit and transferring the game folders over to my 1TB external hard drive when I'm not playing them :p It's the 4GB stick I'm using. I'm still pretty amazed how great they still were on the PSP :D

Now THAT's what they need to do. Add a Terrabyte drive to the PS3 or a usb one for the PSP. Now THAT is something I'd pay money for! ^_^ Of course, I could just get one for it separately and then do it that way... but one question... how does it run them after you've transferred them? I've tried moving information from one stick to another and it doesn't work.

Have you ever transferred info from stick to stick? If so, how do you get it to work properly?
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Well, the PS3 uses the small form-factor (see: laptop) hard drives, so 1TB would be a little out there :P

But I've been considering tossing a 240GB or 320GB in my PS3. The instructions are right in the manual, after all.
    edited January 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    Well, the PS3 uses the small form-factor (see: laptop) hard drives, so 1TB would be a little out there :P

But I've been considering tossing a 240GB or 320GB in my PS3. The instructions are right in the manual, after all.

True... but the trick is moving info from one MEMORY stick to another. That seems to be VERY hard to accomplish for some reason. If I could just fit some of the other things that I don't play on a regular basis onto another stick without problems then I would... but every time I try, something seems screwed up. For example, I recently tried to move some of my games' save files onto another stick and then some of my other games that I don't use regularly onto the stick and it didn't work. Is there a way to do it correctly that I just didn't see?