If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Age II DLC Details and Giveaway

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited January 2011 in Latest Updates
Dragon Age II isn't even out yet, but you can win a copy of the Signature Edition now. You won't get it till launch, step inside and read about what you'd be getting.

Story and Giveaway Details
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited January 2011
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Mmmm... Project $10 (holla holla) at work. Really annoying that they announced this 4 days before the signature edition promotion ends. Also, no digital deluxe edition announced yet? Lame. *drinks more Kool-Aid*

Contest question: if we request a PC version can we opt to get a voucher for a digital edition (via Steam, EA Store, etc.) or are we locked to the boxed retail edition?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2011
    The link... it does NOTHING!!!! Fixed.

Right now they've only promised boxed copies, so I think we're limited to that.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2011
    Macstorm said:
    Right now they've only promised boxed copies, so I think we're limited to that.

Booo. There's not even a "feelie" like a map or soundtrack disc this time around :(
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    shoptroll said:
    Booo. There's not even a "feelie" like a map or soundtrack disc this time around :(

Pretty sad but at least it is the same price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited January 2011
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Pretty sad but at least it is the same price.

The digital deluxe edition was probably the best deal on the last game since you got an additional $10-15 DLC pack without any extra cost.

From what I'm reading on the BioWare forums there's no plans to make the signature edition available digitally outside of the EA Store. I'm guessing EA is trying to push people to use their digital/retail storefront or GameStop and Amazon put some pressure on them to keep the promotion off Steam.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2011
    shoptroll said:
    Mmmm... Project $10 (holla holla) at work. Really annoying that they announced this 4 days before the signature edition promotion ends.

$7 in this case. :P
    edited January 2011
    They announced this back in Oct, but just didn't give details on the DLC till now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited January 2011
    The signature edition can be pre-ordered at Direct2Dive
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • scorpioscorpio Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    sadness... canadians cannot enter :(
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited January 2011
    It's been a while since I wanted to win one of these contests this badly. Otherwise, I wait until games get cheaper to buy them, and I'd rather not wait on DA2.
    edited January 2011
    Definitely an excellent giveaway.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    scorpio said:
    sadness... canadians cannot enter :(

Ditto :(

Well, I know I want the game, so I figured why not put down my preorder now :)
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, same here, did the preorder yesterday so I'm all set. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    I didn't win did I... :(
    edited January 2011
    Congratulations to Darrell D. (PC version) and Nicholas L. (Xbox 360 version). You have been emailed.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2011
    Awww, I didn't win. Oh well.

Congrats to the winners! :D
    edited January 2011
    Congrats to the winners!

annddd right on cue it's now available on Steam

*grumbles*

Also more pre-order bonuses!
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2011
    The Steam pre-order includes an exclusive shield and dagger, right?
    edited January 2011
    nim22ama said:
    The Steam pre-order includes an exclusive shield and dagger, right?

That's the standard pre-order bonus for everyone it looks like. (Source)

There appears to be some other goodies that are included for people who don't buy the game used as well.

EDIT: I'm probably just going to wait until the GOTY/Gold/Ultimate edition releases. I pre-ordered DA and I still haven't played it. Plus the way they handled the Signature Edition has left a slightly bad taste in my mouth.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I'm definitely waiting for a complete edition. The game might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't like how they are handling things pre-release. Many great RPGs coming out this year, so I'm sure I can wait one more year for this game. Mass Effect 3 is the BioWare game I am looking forward to the most in 2011.
    edited January 2011
    So far it looks like everyone who already pre-ordered still gets everything in the Steam edition, regardless of retailer. It does look like if you want the Emporium for free, you'll have to get it off of Steam, though. The way Bioware's site reads, if you haven't already preorder, but do preorder before March 8, you only get the sword and shield.

I dunno, already preordered and have the signature edition coming, but I think I have the same bad taste in my mouth that shoptroll has.
    edited January 2011
    nim22ama said:
    I'm definitely waiting for a complete edition. The game might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't like how they are handling things pre-release. Many great RPGs coming out this year, so I'm sure I can wait one more year for this game. Mass Effect 3 is the BioWare game I am looking forward to the most in 2011.
    I'm more interested in ME3 right now as well. There's a few reasons why I'm skipping on this for the time being:

1) DA had a metric ton of DLC over the course of its life along with a full expansion. It makes a lot more financial sense to wait until the GOTY, especially since the standard game is $5 less than the Deluxe/Collector's Editions for the first one.
    2) I haven't started DA1 and I don't see that happening before DA2 releases. The curse of the backlog in full effect.
    3) Reversing course on last year's Digital Deluxe Edition is a nice backhand to the fans who bought the game off Steam, Gamers Gate, etc.
    4) Nothing in the Signature Edition prevented it from having a widespread digital release (DLC is just a code and the soundtrack is digital. There's no physical bonuses this time around).
    5) Locking the Signature Edition pre-orders to brick & mortar, EA Store and D2D reeks of backroom deals.
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    So far it looks like everyone who already pre-ordered still gets everything in the Steam edition, regardless of retailer. It does look like if you want the Emporium for free, you'll have to get it off of Steam, though. The way Bioware's site reads, if you haven't already preorder, but do preorder before March 8, you only get the sword and shield.
    I'm guessing the Emporium is going to be another early DLC item. It sounds like right now you get the Emporium and the sword + shield if you pre-order.

Anyone buying new (pre- or post-release) gets the war hound, mirror of transformation and some additional stores. This will probably be DLC as well since it sounds like Project $10 stuff like Cerberus Network's bite sized DLC chunks. I think they've said DA2 would have a Cerberus style DLC pipeline so I'm guessing this is probably part of that.

EDIT: On their forums they've clarified that the Emporium is included in all new copies of the game.
    edited January 2011
    Slight correction: Signature Edition was available through Amazon, too.

The hound, mirror, and stores are all part of the Emporium DLC. At least, that's the way both Steam and the Bioware site present it. So it's good that everyone gets that. I figured they had to have SOMETHING that everyone got with a new copy, since they've been doing that lately.

What drives me nuts is that they still require the disc in the drive. If I'm logging in with my account from the title screen, I should NOT need the bloody disc. How many layers of authentication do you NEED? Sheesh.
    edited January 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    Slight correction: Signature Edition was available through Amazon, too.
    In my mind I lump them in with brick & mortar since I'm not sure if they deal in digital distribution... yet.
    edited January 2011
    They...sort of do. With some titles. I don't think they offered any kind of digital distribution for DA2. And it's certainly not anywhere near even Gamestop.com's level of digital distro.
    edited January 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    What drives me nuts is that they still require the disc in the drive. If I'm logging in with my account from the title screen, I should NOT need the bloody disc. How many layers of authentication do you NEED? Sheesh.

For the PC version, you can use your physical copy's CD key to download a digital copy via the EA Download Manager and can run disc free.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited January 2011
    shoptroll said:
    I'm probably just going to wait until the GOTY/Gold/Ultimate edition releases. I pre-ordered DA and I still haven't played it. Plus the way they handled the Signature Edition has left a slightly bad taste in my mouth.
    Pretty much. Aside from the way it's shaping up to be generally inferior to the first game, the marketing behind this one is horrible. For Origins they cut out a piece of the game to punish people who bought it used, and now they're going to do the same thing to people who don't pre-order as well? Come on, this is getting stupid.
  • ZandelZandel New Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    For Origins they cut out a piece of the game to punish people who bought it used, and now they're going to do the same thing to people who don't pre-order as well? Come on, this is getting stupid.

Wait, what?

Shale was not imperative to the story; the game didn't suddenly stop playing unless you went and purchased her. As long as the game does not suffer for the lack of it you can't say it was meant to be part of the original game. Anyone buying DA2 new gets the Black Emporium (includes a Mabari, a Mirror, and an extra shop), pre-order it and they throw in an extra sword and shield.

It's an incentive, an attempt to see that some of the money you're spending will go to the developers and not directly into Game Stops pocket. But you lose nothing from not pre-ordering.

Stream issues with the SE upgrade aside I can't see how that's a bad thing.