If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Hiring Call - Reviewers

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2011
    Does the review have to be of a game that is currently covered on the site? I'd consider writing a review for Grotesque Tactics, but it doesn't even have a page on the site.
    We just haven't added coverage yet, though we should indeed. That review would be more than welcomed. We do require staff members to have finished a game to review it, so everyone should keep that in mind.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Oooo, looking forward to that review. I quite like GT, I'm just not done yet.
  • kwehkweh Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    If only I had that much spare time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    All of which fits me! I should definitely apply! Probably a conflict of interest though. :)

It would be funny though if you kept referencing your games in reviews of other games. Like "Unfortunately, Fable 3's attempts at humor, though successful, cannot hold up to the high standards set by other, funnier games on the 360 like Cthulhu Saves the World"
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    And I would definitely apply if I had a bit more spare time. Ignoring the couple of hours it would take me to write a good review, complete an RPG every month? Not going to happen with my current schedule.
    Check out upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, at http://cosmicstarheroine.com/
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Paws wrote: »
    Oooo, looking forward to that review. I quite like GT, I'm just not done yet.

I'm looking forward to this as well. It's on my wishlist but I haven't gotten around to trying a demo yet.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited January 2011
    Oh dear. . .I accidentlally submitted the application before finishing the sample news stories. Should I fill out another application, or do something else?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this as well. It's on my wishlist but I haven't gotten around to trying a demo yet.

You missed out. It was $3 on Steam last week. That's when I got my copy. I'm not finished yet, but this is a 3 day weekend with only mild homework ;)
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2011
    Oh dear. . .I accidentlally submitted the application before finishing the sample news stories. Should I fill out another application, or do something else?
    If Casto left the news story part in there, he shouldn't have as though it's helpful, it's not as important. Just submit the review along with the app and it should be enough.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2011
    Ah, got it. Thanks!
    Bravely second...

• BlitzmageBlitzmage Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Heres to everyOne who will/has applied! Good luck!
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited January 2011
    To everyone who is applying but may be afraid of the HTML concept, don't be, only a basic knowledge is required and if you don't know how to do something one of will be more than willing to teach; for the people that were worried about image editing and things of that nature, we just have Keldarus do all that stuff for us though there are a few more members on the staff that know how to do.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Well, reviewers need a teensy bit more HTML knowledge than newsies, since they actually need to work with an HTML template to write reviews (they don't get a nifty web form like we do). But yeah, you don't need to be able to write HTML from scratch, just be able to understand basic tags and work within them.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited January 2011
    Aye. . .maybe I should have studied up a little on it before filling out that application. Then again, how basic is basic?

Might be too little too late, but I'm giving myself some HTML tutorials.
    Bravely second...

edited January 2011
    Will interviews start after the cut off date?
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Remember my pages have terrible HTML, and I'm still employed.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Would be a lot of fun to be a reviewer on here! Too bad I'm in full time Pre-Med. =(
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited January 2011
    JCServant wrote: »
    Oh. oh!! I have a gaming PC. And I live in the US. I mean, I know Utah barely counts as a state of the union...but it DOES count! And I like companies other than Square. I like...Ummm...who made ... Oh.... Hmmmmm... Give me a minute, I'll think of someone...

Considering that I live in Provo? I'm snickering right now. I just had to share that. LOL.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • CastoCasto New Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    HURRRR. I hate captchas. Sorry for not answering anything in this thread, I've been failing hard at actually logging into my message boards account since I haven't used it since we switched over to the new boards. I will be setting up interviews once the application period has ended, which will be Wednesday. I generally do interviews as I receive applications, which is what I stated in the hiring call, but the large volume that I have received this time has made it necessary for me to undertake a slightly more involved elimination process, which means I can't do it that way for this particular posting. Consequently, I will be narrowing things down to the best ten applications and contacting those people within a few days of the application period ending. I will also contact you if you aren't selected for an interview, don't worry.

Sorry again for not getting back to anyone here. Best of luck!
    edited January 2011
    Er... Okay apparently I did log in before since I created this thread. Well, whatever. //.-
    edited January 2011
    By Wednesday do u still mean the 2nd right?
    edited January 2011
    No, I mean the 19th. I've got enough applications to fill the position, so get your butt in gear if you want to apply and you haven't yet :)
    edited January 2011
    Casto wrote: »
    No, I mean the 19th. I've got enough applications to fill the position, so get your butt in gear if you want to apply and you haven't yet :)

well... crap. I guess I'll look at some recently completed games and see if there's something I can review. There's no way I'm gonna be near a computer long enough to finish GT and review it by Wednesday.
    edited January 2011
    Casto wrote: »

Good thing mine is already done!
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I chickened out, could not write more than a half review. And still I didn't like it.
    edited January 2011
    i summited my review but didnt use the templet due to me being on a mac with basic software and such, will that count against me?
    edited January 2011
    well... crap. I guess I'll look at some recently completed games and see if there's something I can review. There's no way I'm gonna be near a computer long enough to finish GT and review it by Wednesday.

If I remember correctly, you submitted a review to Points of View sometime in the past. Personally, I think you can just link Castomel to that review and that would quality as writing a review. We want the review sample to see if you can write half-decently and talk about games without coming across like a goof, and one we've loaded onto RPGamer would suffice. Or just copy and paste the review you submitted before and assume he won't notice you already gave it to us :)

EDIT: Actually, you did two -- Glowing Hyren's reviews
    edited January 2011
    7thCircle wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, you submitted a review to Points of View sometime in the past. Personally, I think you can just link Castomel to that review and that would quality as writing a review. We want the review sample to see if you can write half-decently and talk about games without coming across like a goof, and one we've loaded onto RPGamer would suffice. Or just copy and paste the review you submitted before and assume he won't notice you already gave it to us :)

EDIT: Actually, you did two -- Glowing Hyren's reviews

It'd be awesome if he'd take that, but in the article is says:
    "Do not send any review that you have written previously or submitted to Points of View."
    So I think that pretty much disqualifies those reviews, unfortunately. Hopefully that would be a bonus to my app though. I've got two options for games to review so we'll just see how much time I have to write tomorrow, it shouldn't take super long once I've jotted down a couple notes on it.

EDIT: I just re-read one of my old reviews and I'd like to think that my style has improved a bit since then, so it'd probably be for the best to submit a new one regardless.
    edited January 2011
    Oh snap! At least one of us read Castomel's article....
    edited January 2011
    how will we be notified if we get to be interviewed