If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

USB Drive HELP!!

GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited January 2011 in General Help & Advice
Just dropped a small USB drive down a rain gutter by accident. Called City Hall, got someone coming down to help me get it out in about 15-20 minutes, but....

I'm screwed, aren't I? There isn't much in there, but there's at least a centimeter or two of standing water.

Comments

• EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Probably, but you never know until you dry it off. Of course, if you stick it wet into your computer you could fry a USB port. So seeing if it is toast is risky.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Worse than I thought. Under those few centimeters of standing water were about 6 centimeters of sludge.

Got it back, though! I shall be thanking City Hall copiously in the next JP column. The card is now lying on a nice fluffy towel in the sunniest part of my apartment, waiting for me to come back in the evening and try it out.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Wish I saw this before. As soon as you got it, you should have put it into dry rice. The rice will suck out all the water. Also a great way to keep your salt shakers from turning into a nicely contained rock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited January 2011
    If you have central air and the air return is in the wall, you can lay your USB drive in there and let the strong draft do the work for you. I did that once to dry out a pair of soaking-wet shoes in less than twelve hours. Of course, if the air return is in the ceiling, I wouldn't recommend it. Let us know if you manage to recover your info!
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2011
    He did recover it, or that's what I remember reading in the latest Japandemonium.
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Woot! USB recovery dance! (cha-cha-cha)
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Yup, it miraculously continues to function! Well enough for me to run indie game trial versions off of it!

Seriously, I'm really impressed with it.
This discussion has been closed.