If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

I just beat Grandia...

Spinal TartSpinal Tart MemberFull Members
edited April 2003 in Role Playing Games
So I just beat Grandia a few hours ago. Good game. Good ending. King of dissapointing final boss though. But overall I thought it was very good : )

I started playing it when it first came out, well over three years ago. But now I got that out of the way and can finally move on with my life : )

What did you dudes think of it?

Comments

• SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Grandia? 3 Years ago? I didn't know it came out three years ago. I thought it was longer. Too lazy to check it out for now. Anyway, I love the original Grandia game. The gameplay and story was the game's strong point. Of the three Grandia games, Grandia 1 has the best magic systems in my opinion. I recently tried to play the game over again, but it seems that there is something wrong with my Playstation or the game because it freezes sometimes after battles.

Anyway, I was wondering, did you get the final ultimate spell for Feena? That spell is a water spell and in order to get it, your water level must be level 99! My highest water level was only about 60. I heard that the name of the spell was some like "The end of the world" or something. So anyway, did you get that spell? Just curious.
  • Spinal TartSpinal Tart Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    No I never got that spell. At the end of the game I mostly used Justin's Dragon Cut to get through all of the battles quickly, so my other characters were kind of underpowered, but the final bosses were still easy, except for Baal.
  • Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Yeah, the first Grandia was pretty good. What it lacked in graphics and plot it made up for in charm and good gameplay. I have been, however, subsiquently disapointed with each following installment. Grandia 2 and Xtreme just weren't good games.
  • Spinal TartSpinal Tart Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I liked it a lot. I was thinking of picking up Grandia 2 since it's pretty cheap.
  • Orange DragonOrange Dragon Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I beat Grandia a long time ago. Really great game, one of my favorites. I've never played the other two though. Do they really suck?
  • Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    The game mechanics from the first are refined in the two sequels, but thats pretty much the only improvement. Plot, characters, and gameplay are just plain terrible. The graphics aren't that great either. (in terms of the PS2's power) This is probably the result of it being a Dreamcast game originally.
  • DragoniteDragonite Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I think i got the end of the world spell for feena but i'm not positive. I could've of just heard it from somewhere. I liked first one better then second grandia. I don't know why it just appealed to me better i guess.
  • ThiefTThiefT New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Grandia, the original, was a good game. I really enjoyed it.

As for the 2nd one, the gameplay and story keep you intriqued up till about the halfway point...I'll give it a little more lead up till the 3/4 point, Then it just drops. Haven't played the 3rd one yet. I

'm a big fan of the series but it didn't look tempting
  • EnrapturedByEnsorcelledChaosEnrapturedByEnsorcelledChaos Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Grandia was a great game, I was very very depressed when it ended.. the second was good, but not as good as the first.. And I have yet to play the 3rd but it does not look like it followed in the same vein as the rest of the games..
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Hmmm...I liked the 2nd one much better. I found the original far too draggy. It didn't get remotely interesting until the 2nd disc.
  • fergus the lesserfergus the lesser Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SeraphicLaw @ Feb. 17 2003,12:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway, I was wondering, did you get the final ultimate spell for Feena? That spell is a water spell and in order to get it, your water level must be level 99! My highest water level was only about 60. I heard that the name of the spell was some like "The end of the world" or something. So anyway, did you get that spell? Just curious.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    end of the world? does it contain water magic?

i thought if you have your water magic at lv.99 a spell called "gate warp" or sumthin... will be available not the end of the world...
  • GlacianGlacian Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I really liked Grandia. The battle system was awesome, and the light-hearted story was fun!

I also loved Grandia II, and I suggest you pick that up as well. Although, Grandia Xtreme was a bore.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SeraphicLaw @ Feb. 16 2003,23:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I recently tried to play the game over again, but it seems that there is something wrong with my Playstation or the game because it freezes sometimes after battles.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    PlayStation or PlayStation 2? There is a "known" but not officially recognized bug with Grandia on PS2 freezing during or after battles.

I had some particularly annoying instances of it near the end of the game.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I've had Grandia crash on my PS2 a couple of times....But I've since stopped playing PS1 games on my PS2 so I don't have that problem.

I have a bug question about the game though...On disc 2 when I finish a battle, the normal victory theme plays, but when it switches to the screen with the character portraits, the disc 2 battle them plays again....Once in awhile I get the normal victory theme. Does anybody else get this?
  • BobbyRobbyBobbyRobby Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    I also must say Gandia I was way better than its sequels. I loved the story, and most of the characters. I was also sad when it was over.

Gandia Xtreme isn't really Grandia III, is it?
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2003
    grandia is a good game but much like xenogears and some other rpgs it drug on too much at the end.i.e:this happens,that happens,blah,blah.......i already get the point and know whats going to happen.why make me do all of this?just hurry up and be done so i can get on to my many stacks of other rpgs i havent finished because of time constraints...
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BobbyRobby @ April 15 2003,11:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Gandia Xtreme isn't really Grandia III, is it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Let us hope that it is not.
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chiapet @ April 15 2003,09:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"PlayStation or PlayStation 2? ?There is a "known" but not officially recognized bug with Grandia on PS2 freezing during or after battles.

I had some particularly annoying instances of it near the end of the game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It was on PS2 that freezes the most. Sometimes, the game freezes when I'm playing on the PS1 too, but not as often. But since my PS1 is really old, I think it must be the cause of the game freezing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have a bug question about the game though...On disc 2 when I finish a battle, the normal victory theme plays, but when it switches to the screen with the character portraits, the disc 2 battle them plays again....Once in awhile I get the normal victory theme. Does anybody else get this? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hmm... That is strange. I don't think that happened to me before.

• vherubvherub Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    grandia extreme is a grandia II.5 deal (much like skies arcadia legends)

but the problem with grandia II -and also skies- is random battles mad.gif gah! i dont mind them as much when they can be avoided, but when they seem thrown in just to make a game longer to the point where you dont want to explore a dungeon because of the tedious random battles, it brings a game down

with grandia II, even tho the combat system is entertaining in the beginning, by the end i was just throwing on auto pilot and occupying myself with other things while the battle played out
  • mertwigsmaze_fanmertwigsmaze_fan New Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    Don't misinterpret this but: wtf took you so long to finish the game? I'm amazed after three years that you even remembered you had the game tounge.gif
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vherub @ April 17 2003,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"but the problem with grandia II -and also skies- is random battles mad.gif gah! i dont mind them as much when they can be avoided, but when they seem thrown in just to make a game longer to the point where you dont want to explore a dungeon because of the tedious random battles, it brings a game down[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Random battles? There are no random battles in Grandia 1, 2 or Xtreme. I'm not sure about Skies though, since i haven't played that.
  • TanjunTanjun Mars Colony A-097Full Members
    Hello, I am speaking to you from the future in the year 2016! The human race is already well into interplanetary colonization and I am writing this message from a Mars colony. Mwahaha...!
This discussion has been closed.