If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ar tonelico Qoga ~Knell of Ar Ciel~ Rated M by ESRB

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited January 2011 in Latest Updates
Hey kids, do you like jumblies? How about fun bags, silicon sallies, honkers, or high beams? Well, if you're under the age of eighteen, you're out of luck, as the latest Ar tonelico game has a shiny M rating from the ESRB.

Story.

Comments

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Ihate the new title. It's so stupid compared with Ar Tonelico III
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • BlitzmageBlitzmage Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    is this rating a surprise or something......
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Well, as Nyx wrote, previous Ar Tonelico games were rated T, so the M rating is at the least new for the series.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    This game also has your fighter characters, male and female alike, running around in their underwear for the entire remainder of the battle once they use their super move. So yeah.
    I miss my old prettiful sig.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited January 2011
    i can't pronounce the title of this game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • StormofSwordsStormofSwords Crazed Bullet Miser Full Members
    edited January 2011
    So to be clear; is there or is there not full nudity in this game? Understand this is an important question.
    Madness is a complete statement. Saying more would be pointless.
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, if they're not having FULL nudity, but still suggesting more than they should then I guess the Mature-rating SHOULD be enforced. Although WHY the chose to go this far with it, I'll never know. Maybe they figure if Agarest Wars II can get more... risque, then maybe they should to up the ante. Not saying I support this move, but that this was probably their thinking behind this decision. Oh, and one LAST question. Are NIS releasing this one EXCLUSIVELY or are they having someone else bring it over? That too could be the determining factor on whether or not it will be toned down. It sounds like they're just trying to raise the eyebrows of the sensors to me. If they're not careful with that, the game won't come here at all. Hmmm... having seen some of the pics, I get the feeling they're trying to go as risque as they can. AT 2 was pretty tame, but THIS... I dunno. They look like they're DESPERATELY trying for the Mature rating. This is almost TOO much. Just PLEASE don't tell me there's yuri in there. The yuri overtones in AT 2 nearly made me sick.

@LordKaiser: The M-rating doesn't concern me... it's more to the point that they're actually going with it. If this is going to be a lot more racier than the first two, I'd kind of like to know a bit more about it rather than just the dirty language. Just HOW far are they going? I mean, when I saw Agarest Wars 2, I thought that was a little extreme, but if they're planning to have AT 3 to do the same type of update, then I dunno... some games just DON'T need that, you know? I thought AT games were SUPPOSED to be about good writing... not how fast you could mess with your Aeristavis... and YES, pretty girls.

But I'm still probably going to at least TRY it. As long as the story isn't hindered by anything like a bad translation or anything, it's just going to be another RPG to me.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    reionpremente said:
    Are NIS releasing this one EXCLUSIVELY or are they having someone else bring it over?

NISA is publishing it in America for Gust.
    edited January 2011
    M rating don't have any effect on me thankfully. I will preoder it and imagine the title is not there.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Nudity, underage looking girls? Ar Tonelico? Mature rating?

Yeeeeeessss....

I can't find this on Amazon yet, is the release window still accurate?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    lolwhoops said:
    i can't pronounce the title of this game.

I've chosen to pronounce it 'Koh-gah'. Having not had my own PS until Monday (ignoring the PSX I bought for £5 solely to play FFIX a few years ago), this series is something I know nothing about and need to investigate.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited January 2011
    underage looking girls?
    Yeeeeeessss....
    Startin' to weird me out here Rahl.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    The Doomhammer said:

Psssh. You're one to talk.:tongue:
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Full rating description.

I love how casually they throw this in the end.
    The words "sh*t," "a*shole," and "b*tch," appear in the dialogue.
    I haven't played the other two, and the thought hadn't occurred to me before, but did the other games use curse words like that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    MasterChief said:
    Full rating description.

I love how casually they throw this in the end.

I haven't played the other two, and the thought hadn't occurred to me before, but did the other games use curse words like that?

Yep, they do. Ar tonelico one had the b with the itch word appear numerous times!
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Confessor Rahl said:
    I can't find this on Amazon yet, is the release window still accurate?

The Europe release is March 25th if that helps. (Published by Tecmo-Koei)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if the M rating will help or hurt sales. What do you think?
    ---
    I hope they bug-test this one. AT2 had at least one major bug with an optional boss. Thank goodness someone wrote a patch.
    ---
    This lame title is begging for a rap...
    It sure would be swell,
    To play Knell of Ar Ciel,
    I wasn't gonna buy it,
    But now that it's an M,
    Why not? What the hell.
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, thank goodness for Replakia, too.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    The Doomhammer said:

Heh heh heh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited January 2011
    Rating will not affect the sales of this game. The current generation don't even like RPGs at all. The game could be turned Hentai with a AO rating and it would sell the same or more. But I still don't see why the M rating. It's the ESRB getting more strict over the years? Xenogears and FFVII where Teen back in the day.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2011
    The ESRB is actually stricter these days.

Though the content in Ar Tonelico 3 is definitely pushing it further than either of those games did...
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Nyx said:
    Hey kids, do you like jumblies? How about fun bags, silicon sallies, honkers, or high beams? Well, if you're under the age of eighteen, you're out of luck, as the latest Ar tonelico game has a shiny M rating from the ESRB.

Story.

Isn't M 17 and over, not 18 and over?
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Jitawa said:
    Isn't M 17 and over, not 18 and over?

Looks like you're right. We were having too much fun making up the first sentence to thoroughly research the ESRB ratings. Apologies, 17-year-olds. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2011
    Thats amusing that the M rating is actually 17+ considering, at least in the US, many states have an age of consent at 16 now if I'm not mistaken. Especially considering the sexual appeal of the (very) young girls in this game are targeting a younger audience than usual. (I hope) :p
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    ChickenGod said:
    Thats amusing that the M rating is actually 17+ considering, at least in the US, many states have an age of consent at 16 now if I'm not mistaken. Especially considering the sexual appeal of the (very) young girls in this game are targeting a younger audience than usual. (I hope) :p

Well, I guess they were running out of letters.

Personally, I'd just make it numbers like PEGI, but that would make too much sense, and the strictest rating wouldn't sound scandalous enough to be an industry "weapon" rating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.