If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIII-2

CerickCerick Full Members
edited January 2011 in Square Enix

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Well not long 'til the release, so it shouldn't be too long until we see some gameplay vids.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I am not liking that Lightning re-design
    thanks for reading
    edited January 2011
    You don't like feathers on your armour?
  • HyristHyrist formally jiroo chan 007 Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Lightning is hot no matter what she wears.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I dunno. I rather like it. I get a pretty serious valkyrie vibe from her.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Yea, actually, the plate armor gives me a serious nostalgia vibe.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    She is Lenneth reborn! lol They were DEFINITELY going for a valkyrie feel to it. Plus+ it has some nice side butt! A good combo >:D
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    A side-serving of Valkyrie Profile with my helping of Final Fantasy? Sounds like a great meal to me! lol

Seriously though, I can't get into Lightning the way other guys can. She looks a lot like my second sister. Looking forward to it 13-2 all the same. Hope it plays much better.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    So is this something different then Agitio and Versus

and digging her new look.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Looks good. I might be tempted to pick it up if they axed the stupid corridor crawling
    edited January 2011
    If they ditch Motomu Toriyama as the scenaricist and add a number towns to Pulse, whilst excluding all the areas which were set in the tube, then I might but the game (if it receives good reviews from the right people).
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Keep in mind that this game won't likely be on Pulse but instead in the "invisible world" (the closest thing to an afterlife/world of gods for the world of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series).
    ClixPsi.png
    edited January 2011
    Not likely, the major draw to making XIII-2 is that they have a massive amount of assets created in the form of Pulse, so less development on their part.
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Towns on Pulse?
    Depending how long the game is set after the first, they could have one settlement, I doubt it's been that long where they've built "a number of towns", where there was none before.

Though they could populate Oerba and possibly some other areas.
    edited January 2011
    No towns = no interest on my part.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Well the few seconds of footage I've seen look promising aesthetically, which if course is important but it's far too little to go on. Light's new look is a suitable upgrade; slightly more epic but still recognizably Light. Then again I always trust Square to get their character design just right. I'm mostly anxious to see the battle system; I can feel my conservative side wanting it to be a lot like in XIII, but I know tying my expectations down like that is usually a bad idea with FF.
    No towns = no interest on my part.

You know there are some excellent town simulators out there where you won't be distracted by annoyances like story, character development and battles. :hehe:
  • kwehkweh Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    The feathers are obviously phoenix down; in the tradition of FFXIII it is impossible to die, Lightning's armour is imbued with auto-life.

There will be towns - lots of them - built on the backs of Long Guis and Gigantuars. They will communicate by semaphore and interpretive dance (note the FFX-2 influence here). There is a larger settlement built inside the corpse of Titan (dubbed "Neo-Cocoon"). Nestled here within the gradually decaying meat of a demi-god, humanity turns all its energy to debating hyperreality and suffers the same decay as its quasi-divine protective husk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Spartakus wrote: »
    You know there are some excellent town simulators out there where you won't be distracted by annoyances like story, character development and battles. :hehe:

I wasn't troubled by any of that in FFXIII, pity there were no towns.
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Spartakus wrote: »
    Well the few seconds of footage I've seen look promising aesthetically, which if course is important but it's far too little to go on. Light's new look is a suitable upgrade; slightly more epic but still recognizably Light. Then again I always trust Square to get their character design just right. I'm mostly anxious to see the battle system; I can feel my conservative side wanting it to be a lot like in XIII, but I know tying my expectations down like that is usually a bad idea with FF.

There is also something that you have no control over where it goes, and you don't have any of the things you keep saying you hate about RPGs(ya know, interactivity, exploration, etc)...they are called movies.

I'm hoping that 13-2 is more a game and less a movie than the original was.

Do find the change in Lightning's clothes to the armor interesting, will be interesting seeing where they plan on bringing the whole valkyrie look into it(provided they have a reason, unlike the changes in 10-2).
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I'm staying out of FF13's merits as a game but I just have to ask the same question I asked about FFX-2: Do we really need this? (personally I don't think so...but up to you)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited January 2011
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    I'm staying out of FF13's merits as a game but I just have to ask the same question I asked about FFX-2: Do we really need this? (personally I don't think so...but up to you)

Having not finished 13(no more than I did 12), I can't exactly say whether it is true of 13 or not, but IMO there really isn't a need for any sequels in the FF series. They have all been created as standalone entries that end with a solid conclusion more or less. Personally I think that X-2 just completely invalidated the only real good part of the later part of X: Titus knowing that destroying Sin would likely destroy him as well, but making the heroic sacrifice for the good of the world. By bringing him back in X-2 they completely cheapened that heroic sacrifice, as well as completely derailing the other characters that were brought over.
  • SandySandy Final Fanatic Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad they're making this game. Being one of those who actually finished FF XIII, I have to say it let a lot of things open and many questions unanswered. I wish there would be a proper focus on Lightning in this sequel, because she became irrelevant towards the end of the original game, while Fang and Vanille took her place in the limelight.

It seems that FF XIII-2 will take place in Gran Pulse. Since the new male character looks distinctively Pulsian, I reckon the survivors from Cocoon will find civilization from the deserted land after all. I'm interested and cautiously optimistic.

Oh, and the problem with FF XIII wasn't that there weren't any towns - on the contrary, there were plenty of towns, both inhabited and in ruins - but that they couldn't be properly explored. Sure, one could explore Gran Pulse late in the game, but there wasn't anything to be found except more battles and pretty views.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/26/ffxiii_dengeki/

some more but still not enough details about the direction they are going
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    This is one time I welcome a sequel to a proper FF game. JRPG's are in short supply on the 360, so it will be nice to play a AAA JRPG that is similar to FF13 minus the stuff I disliked....hopefully.

I don't mind the whole "create a series of games centered around a particular installment of FF" thing, but it's still kind of silly, and so obviously milk-tacular it's not funny. Then again, this is probably what a lot of FF fans are crying out for, so I can't blame Squeenix for complying if that's the case.
    edited January 2011
    Sandy wrote: »
    Oh, and the problem with FF XIII wasn't that there weren't any towns - on the contrary, there were plenty of towns, both inhabited and in ruins - but that they couldn't be properly explored. Sure, one could explore Gran Pulse late in the game, but there wasn't anything to be found except more battles and pretty views.

I don't think they count as towns, more like wallpaper for the tunnel. It's the difference between a town and a picture of a town.

- I will be interested to see whether SE make a game for the people who enjoyed XIII, or a game to redress the grievances of those who did not.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    the angel feather thing is really played out. it's not even the slightest bit cool, and japan, or maybe mostly just Square, has been using that theme/style for over a decade. Also, the still picture for the video in the OPs link looks like she just swated/murdered a bird.

Not liking her new look at all, so I really really hope they put some context into her new look, especially since I don't recall anyone dressing in that style in the original game. I know it seems like I've been a bit of a negative nancy about this new game, but as someone who liked ff13 (despite the flaws), this sequel has me a bit worried.

I think I'm in noob's boat. Going to wait for reviews before buying this or any of SE's games, and after FF14, I'm pretty sure most people will too, even the diehards.
    sup?
    edited January 2011
    -The feathers do look as though they were lifted directly from Crisis Core.

-Lightning's new armour allegedly resembles Odin's armour design.
    edited January 2011
    Well, as the new game is supposed to focus on an entire different set of dieties than the original, it is likely the armor has something to do with them. Perhaps they are a more norse pantheon or something.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2011
    The plot takes place in the invisible world, which can only be opened up by massive amounts of death (hence the goal of Anima and Barthandelus, via Cacoon's destruction). The original Maker is Muin. Her son, Beniberzei, defeated Muin, and she disappeared into the invisible world. Beniberzei tried to play the solo-deity game for a while, but he quickly realized that, unless Muin was 100% dead, her curse would linger and doom the world. Beniberzei created the original fal'Cie (Pulse) to find a way to open the door to the invisible world. Next, Beniberzei created Etro, but she resembled Muin so much that Beniberzei decided against giving her power. Finally, Lindzei was made to protect Beniberzei as he slept and ordered to awaken the god when it was time to finish the war with Muin.

Pulse and Lindzei began to make more and more fal'Cie. Etro, unable to create fal'Cie, tore at her body in despair. From her blood was born humankind, beings destined to live short lives. Etro, in death, ascended into the invisible world, where she met Muin. Muin knew that, unless the balance between the visible and invisible worlds remained, the universe would collapse upon itself. As the original goddess fell into the emptiness of the invisible world, she told Etro to carry on in her place and maintain the balance. Etro, unsure what Muin wanted her to do, maintained her vigilance over humanity from the invisible world. She felt they were truly her kin; powerless and mortal, but in their hearts was a powerful chaos that could be harnessed to surpass the will-less fal'Cie.

Unfortunately for humans, they became caught up in the struggles of the two fal'Cie. Pulse saw humans as merely pawns to open the door. Lindzei, ever the protector, felt she should guard her sister's kin. Thus, Lindzei crafted Cacoon and took many humans up into the heavens, where they would be protected from the fickle fal'Cie of Pulse. Time passed, the two worlds went to war, all in the hopes of opening the door. When Pulse l'Cie came close to destroying Cacoon with Ragnorak during the war, Etro intervened and crystalized
    Vanille and restored Fang to her human form, now with Etro's mark, the white, burnt mark.
    Five hundred years later, during FFXIII, Etro continued to intervene. The crystal flakes seen floating in the air in Ch 12 are signs of Etro, though the ignorant Cacoon fal'Cie thought they were signs of the Maker (Muin). Etro finally stepped in during the final battle with
    Orphan. She saved Lightning, Sazh, Snow, and Hope from Cie'th and later crystallis.

....Yes. There was a plot to FFXIII.

...In the Ultimania.
    ClixPsi.png