If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer - 2010 Awards

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
In 2010, we saw some fantastic remakes, some amazing sequels, and some great new IPs. What did we think about them, you ask? You've waited long enough, so we'll tell you now.

RPGamer 2010 Awards
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    FIRST COMMENT.

Dear Fang,

I'm in lesbians with you. That is all.

Love, Nyx
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Glad to see Resonance of Fate getting a lot of attention! :).
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I'm honestly surprised Nier didn't get Most Overlooked.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2011
    shoptroll said:
    I'm honestly surprised Nier didn't get Most Overlooked.
    It was close, but we had more vocal RoF fans than we did Nier fans.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Oyashiro said:
    Glad to see Resonance of Fate getting a lot of attention! :).

Same, much joy at that. :D

Also, Dresden Files tabletop rpg? I need to get into tabletop gaming.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Oh boy! I wasn't as into Resonance of Fate as the rest of you and I would've put DQIX into the "letdown" category for sure, but whatevs.
    thanks for reading
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Not much variety this year.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Paws said:

Which is weird because I thought there was a large pool of RPGs this year :\
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2011
    Oh boy, I'm afraid to look. I don't think I'd be able to handle it if P3P beat out the Ys games in the PSP category. Well... I suppose I can take a look...

*checks*

Yeaahhhhhhh, two of my favorite PSP games. And then Valkyria Chronicles 2, but I'm too pleased with the first two to say anything about that. Oh wait, I see there's a re-release category... which P3P won. Man, I wish there was ONE reviewer out there who'd tell me, "HJ, that game sucks. You and I know it, so it doesn't matter if the rest of the world doesn't". :(
  • GrayWolf323GrayWolf323 Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    HJ+ said:
    Oh boy, I'm afraid to look. I don't think I'd be able to handle it if P3P beat out the Ys games in the PSP category. Well... I suppose I can take a look...

*checks*

Yeaahhhhhhh, two of my favorite PSP games. And then Valkyria Chronicles 2, but I'm too pleased with the first two to say anything about that.
    I think they excluded re-releases from the platform categories but gave them their own category
    edited January 2011
    We did have a lot of variety this year, just not a ton of "look at me I'm so awesome RPGs."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2011
    GrayWolf323 said:
    I think they excluded re-releases from the platform categories but gave them their own category

Oh no, I edited too late and now my ignorant pre-edit post has been immortalized by you! But yeah, I noticed that lol.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Glad to see so many nods for NIER in the awards. To be honest, it probably would've won Best Story for me. I can't remember the last time I was enthralled in a narrative from a JRPG, but NIER's well and truly captivated me. Alpha Protocol coming runner-up in the Best Story category was a bit of a surprise. I would've picked its script or voice-acting as highlights. Ah well, I'm just happy both games got nods :)

That's what's so great about this site. Not many other places would even dream of including NIER or Alpha Protocol on any year-end list.

No surprises about Mass Effect 2's sweep. It IS a bloody amazing game.

Where is Fallout: New Vegas? I would've thought it'd get nominated for something.
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I also loved Resonance of Fate, so it was awesome to see it show up on so many top 3 lists. It was my comfort game after the tears of realizing how much FF13 disappointed me stopped. I can't even like that game's battle system, because I barely had to put any thought in it to win.

But now with the biggest awards going to Mass Effect 2, I suppose I should give it a chance. I'm not the biggest recent BioWare fan, which is ironic because the criticism I have of their games mimics the criticism most people levy at JRPGs (using BioWare as their backup) - the games always feel exactly the same with minor changes. Plus, the writing always comes off as a bit pretentious, so it's hard for me to really like the characters.

Anyways, great choices all around, and gives me some new titles to look at when (if) I ever have any free time. But first, I have to finish developing my own game, maybe even for next year's considerations! ;3
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    i'm actually suprised FFXIII was put into the biggest letdown category. i didn't see it as a letdown and really enjoyed it.. though FFXIV getting biggest letdown was no surprise.

i'm also sad that kirby's epic yarn didn't win best non-rpg. *cry*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Macstorm said:
    We did have a lot of variety this year, just not a ton of "look at me I'm so awesome RPGs."
    We did have a quite a bit of variety this year, unfortunately only myself and a few other members of the staff actually played the majority of the rpgs this year. It seems most of our staff stuck to the AAA titles which limited the titles they were allowed to vote for.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
    edited January 2011
    Nergal said:
    Where is Fallout: New Vegas? I would've thought it'd get nominated for something.
    It gave it nods in story and music for sure and it was my favorite of last year, but I was outnumbered by many.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2011
    I was kind of surprised not to see one of the Ys games take an award for the music, especially when it got beaten out by Lunar and, um, a Fallout game. I mean, I only played Fallout 3 but did that game even HAVE music? Nier totally deserved the win though.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Paws said:

I disagree with this too. The system awards can't, and didn't, have overlap. Of the 8 catergory awards from Battle System to Overlooked, the 8 winners covered 5 different games. If you're counting all three games mentioned, only 11 of those 24 awards were repeats. That's not much repetition considering games like Mass Effect 2, Nier, and Resonance of Fate were well-played and well-liked titles that could have swept away smaller and less popular ones like Lunar, New Vegas, Cthulhu, FF14, etc. Giving recognition to 13 different RPGs in those 8 awards is more variety than I was expecting. Worst and Letdown had no overlap even though it was possible. All around, I think there was a lot of variety this year.

Regarding New Vegas -- I agree with you Nergal; I think it got the short end of the stick. Apparently not many staff members liked it as much as Mac and I, and when it came to the category awards it tended to get bumped out by other major console releases.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I'm kind of surprised to see DQIX coming in at 3rd place for GotY. I loved it, but I thought there was too much of a negative backlash against it to place as well as it did here. Sad to see that Strange Journey is nowhere to be seen, but I guess I liked it more than most. With those 2 games and ZHP, I think I put more hours into handheld gaming this year than any past year, and I haven't even touched Ys Seven yet.
    HJ+ said:
    Oh wait, I see there's a re-release category... which P3P won. Man, I wish there was ONE reviewer out there who'd tell me, "HJ, that game sucks. You and I know it, so it doesn't matter if the rest of the world doesn't". :(

Haha. I assume they added that re-release category so they could avoid having P3P win the PSP category. I thought Persona 3 was a good game, but I played it once all the way through (FES version) and that was enough. Definitely one of the most overrated games of all time on this website.
    edited January 2011
    Azilis said:
    Haha. I assume they added that re-release category so they could avoid having P3P win the PSP category. I thought Persona 3 was a good game, but I played it once all the way through (FES version) and that was enough. Definitely one of the most overrated games of all time on this website.
    Like maybe the PSP category and tons of the others...
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TommyTommy Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Hello all, been reading RPGamer for many years, i actually remember trawling the archives about ten years ago (when i was ten) but have been regularly keeping up with it for the last 2 or 3 years. Anyhoo, just though i'd join up and offer my thoughts.

I only played four of 2010's rpgs, Mass Effect 2, Infinite Space, Dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy XIII. Mass Effect 2 definitely deserved rpg of the year, it was a great game. I don't think it quite had the exciting forward momentum of ME1 but otherwise, very enjoyable.

I really loved Infinite Space! Took me 55 hours to complete over the summer, and it wasn't just once that i stayed up until 4 in the morning playing it! A modern jrpg classic i think. I would say to anyone who was discouraged by the reviews, ignore them. Infinite Space was one of the most compelling and addictive games i've played in a long time.

Dragon Quest IX i'm kind of in the middle of playing, about 20 hours in, can see myself dipping in and out of this every now and then over the year. I don't see it toppling V or VIII but still, an excellent game.

And FFXIII, well what can you say that hasn't been said? The combat was fine (but definitely just a side-step rather than a step forward), there was way too much of it though, especially in the games horrible, joyless last 3-4 chapters where the game really shot itself in the foot. Everything else, was awful.

That's my two cents! Looking forward to 2011. I wouldn't give Dragon Age II the nod over The Witcher 2 though. The first Witcher was just amazing to play, it really was an experience. Dragon Age was good enough but not remotely in the same league as The Witcher, in my humble opinion...

Anyhoo, Inazuma Eleven on Friday! :D

Great job on the site btw!
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited January 2011
    I don't think anyone else on staff played Infinite Space, which would account for its absence. I certainly remembered it, but when it was released by Sega, getting forgotten is totally understandable.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited January 2011
    We had a couple of others list it, but none of them played it for any amount of time.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I know this is going to be looked down upon but I dont think Mass Effect 2 should have won RPG of the year, not because it isnt a good game but because it is not an RPG no matter what anyone or any media says

But then again I put Monster Hunter Tri on the top of my list which is also not an RPG
    edited January 2011
    Macstorm said:
    We had a couple of others list it, but none of them played it for any amount of time.

That's a shame. I recommended it to a few people and they all gave up within 2-3 hours. The weird thing is, once you get to grips with the game and get into a rhythm with it - the gameplay doesn't change at all. The combat is pretty much the same thing for the next 50+ hours. It's a shame more people didn't play it, you can tell the game really was a labour of love. Once the story got its hooks into me, i couldn't stop playing.

But to be fair, you really have to be in the mood for a game to enjoy it. I guess Infinite Space was exactly what i needed at the time!
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Macstorm said:
    Not quite true. I played through the majority of the game, though unfortunately I have not quite finished it yet. It really did deserve a lot more than it got in these awards. It isn't quite up to best DS RPG of the year standards, but I was hoping it would at least get a Most Original placement.

Hopefully Infinite Space will get a solid sequel and we can all sing its praises then.

On a different note, I'm rather surprised Mass Effect 2 got so many awards. I mean, it is a solid game, no question there, but it is hardly so perfect that it deserves so much praise. At the very least, I didn't like its story anywhere near enough to agree with giving it the Best Story award. It did deserve the praise for its good script, though.
    edited January 2011
    TwinBahamut said:
    Not quite true. I played through the majority of the game, though unfortunately I have not quite finished it yet. It really did deserve a lot more than it got in these awards. It isn't quite up to best DS RPG of the year standards, but I was hoping it would at least get a Most Original placement.

Hopefully Infinite Space will get a solid sequel and we can all sing its praises then.

On a different note, I'm rather surprised Mass Effect 2 got so many awards. I mean, it is a solid game, no question there, but it is hardly so perfect that it deserves so much praise. At the very least, I didn't like its story anywhere near enough to agree with giving it the Best Story award. It did deserve the praise for its good script, though.
    Thanks for the comment on Infinite Space. A sequel would be great! Unlikely i suppose but with TWEWY 2 in the works we can always hope... It would be such an easily improved game too.

Yeah Mass Effect 2 did have an excellent script and voice acting. They certainly gave SE a lesson in how to make nonsense sound like ordinary life! SE just make nonsense sound like nonsense...
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I keep seeing sites giving out awards to Mass Effect 2, and I keep wondering if I should play it. I didn't really enjoy Mass Effect 1 that much, and the reviews I've read for the game don't make it sound like they've fixed much of what I didn't like. I've got enough other games on the backlog at the moment that I know I'll enjoy...

Otherwise the rankings seem pretty agreeable to me, but I am surprised that there wasn't any mention of Ys in the music category. Then again, I seem to recall there being no mention of Ar Tonelico 2 last year, so maybe I have vastly different tastes in music from RPGamer's editors.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Azilis said:

I thought Persona 3 Portable was a pretty pointless release until I actually played it. It really is a very high quality enhanced version of an already great game. The female protagonist addition gets all the attention, but I personally think the gameplay got the biggest boost - it's faster paced, better balanced, and has a lot of little changes that make it noticeably better than the original. I mean, if you don't like the original version, it's not going to change your mind, but if you enjoyed the game on the PS2, it's worth replaying on the PSP.

On another note, I was quite pleased (and a little surprised) at how well our games did.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.