If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 34 - The Ballroom Blitz

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
A strange land called Spira features outlandish Tetsuya Nomura outfits and a propensity for group hallucinations. Take a trip with us through this oddly captivating place and relive one of the PS2's biggest hits.
Take a wild guess which Final Fantasy this is, and be right.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    We've implemented a number of changes to the show and its format. Tell us what you think! Help shape future shows!!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Just as a show note, I expressed some confusion over how I was able to obtain Ultima off the sphere grid without unlocking the Level-4 locks around it (I went and checked my save file, the locks are still there). I had completly forgotten about Warp Spheres, which work similar to Teleport Spheres but without the restriction of having to have visted the node beforehand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • BlitzmageBlitzmage Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I didnt think i would miss the skits at the beginning of the show but I kind of did. Also the music segments i felt went a bit long, especially thousand words. Overall a WONDERFUL cast, I think having the PC pit stop and such as its own podcast is an awesome idea, thus more time to talk about the main topic! One of the best this time!
    edited January 2011
    Blitzmage said:
    I didnt think i would miss the skits at the beginning of the show but I kind of did. Also the music segments i felt went a bit long, especially thousand words. Overall a WONDERFUL cast, I think having the PC pit stop and such as its own podcast is an awesome idea, thus more time to talk about the main topic! One of the best this time!
    Thanks.... keep those comments coming.

Normally, the music is about 45 secs between segments...I did this one on PURPOSE because I feel EVERYONE should have to suffer the J POP PAIN that I have had to endure for YEARS since my wife DL'd these songs. Enjoy!! :D
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2011
    Wow, Phil got the cast members' names right, but screwed up the game title in the intro by calling it X and X-2, not ten and ten-two. Is this the real Phil?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Saying Ten and Ten-Two makes me feel like I'm calling plays in Blitzball. I'ma stick with "Ex-2" at least. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I recall 10 being the first game where I was mad that we didn't get the International version because I wanted to take down Penance.

Also, the hatred for Sphere Break makes me sad because I was actually good at it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited January 2011
    Oh good Arceus, not thoes bloody vocal X-2 songs! My sister drove me nuts playing those ad nasuem. And it wasn't just one version of them, oh no. He had the Japanese, English AND "Engrish" (the English version sung by the Japanese singer) versions. Gah!
    Reincarnation, realization
  • RetrovertigoRetrovertigo Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Cracking episode everyone. My second favourite backtrack after the FF9 one. I do always enjoy them more when Quin and Macstorm are on. No offense to the other guests (or Quin and Macstorm for that matter) but it's clear Quin's and Macstorm's dictionaries don't contain the word "brevity" - this is a good thing!

I love how they seem to remember even the smallest details, as it makes for a great listen imo. Good stuff :)
    edited January 2011
    I tend to witter on a bit at times, it's not something that always works in my favour.

For whatever reason, I retain pointless information. I don't know why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited January 2011
    Quin said:
    I tend to witter on a bit at times, it's not something that always works in my favour.

For whatever reason, I retain pointless information. I don't know why.

Thanks to your "wittering" I'm playing through FF9 again. It's the only one in the series I had only played once, but your enthusiasm and breakdown of the story had me charging up my PSP for the first time in ages :)
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited January 2011
    Macstorm didn't even appear on this episode, so I have no idea why he got a plug. Regardless of what he may say, merely speaking his name does not impart a new level of awesomeness.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited January 2011
    Retrovertigo said:
    Cracking episode everyone. My second favourite backtrack after the FF9 one. I do always enjoy them more when Quin and Macstorm are on. No offense to the other guests
    Och. And what am I? Chopped liver? Pft. I see how it is!

*sulks in a corner*
    edited January 2011
    JuMeSyn said:
    Macstorm didn't even appear on this episode, so I have no idea why he got a plug. Regardless of what he may say, merely speaking his name does not impart a new level of awesomeness.

Well big facepalm right there because I didn't mean macstorm, I was watching his Two World unboxing before I posted here.....oops!

edit: I actually meant you! (I'm frantically checking everyone's names now :) ) but yeah, meant you.
    edited January 2011
    King Abdul said:
    because I missed the dude in the moogle suit cowering off to the side in the intro mission of the game.
    That's actually Yuna hiding there.

/Small details, yes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Macstorm said:
    Wow, Phil got the cast members' names right, but screwed up the game title in the intro by calling it X and X-2, not ten and ten-two. Is this the real Phil?

I had a joke all lined up for when he called my "iPhone Apps" again, and was caught off guard when he didn't!
    King Abdul said:
    I wonder if I just have much lower standard, because I really enjoyed both X and X-2 a whole lot. Though I am kinda upset that I ended up getting about 99% completion in X-2 because I missed the dude in the moogle suit cowering off to the side in the intro mission of the game.

No way, X is fantastic, especially given how early in the PS2 life it came. It looks as good as most late-life PS2 games.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, you wouldn't be alone in loving X. A lot of people do! I'm not one of them, but that's ok. The great thing about the FF series is that the games are different enough from each other that there's something there for everyone (I'll take IX and XII, thanks). :)
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    "Well, noodle says he's good looking."
    "noodle's standards are interesting."

Best exchange ever.

Though I'm sure noodle's hugging her Tidus bodypillow and crying right now. :laugh:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • emechemech Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    This talk of a FF9 backtrack has me wanting to listen to it, but your archived descriptions make it hard for someone who is unfamilar with a title to identify which cast it is. I do like the "hook" that your descriptions provide in encouraging listening but a title would make searching easier.
    edited January 2011
    emech said:
    This talk of a FF9 backtrack has me wanting to listen to it, but your archived descriptions make it hard for someone who is unfamilar with a title to identify which cast it is. I do like the "hook" that your descriptions provide in encouraging listening but a title would make searching easier.

You are looking for Episode 25: "Blade Runner in the Mist".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Saying Ten and Ten-Two makes me feel like I'm calling plays in Blitzball. I'ma stick with "Ex-2" at least. :)

Well as long as you don't start calling the new one " Ex-eye-eye-Eye-2 "!

As for moving the skits; I'm undecided....
    They are better when you know what they are making fun of, but this time I knew the games well enough beforehand.
    (I may be praising that replacement once we get to something less familiar.)
  • CipherinthesnoWCipherinthesnoW Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Awesome cast everyone, I loved revisiting FFX and remembering just how bad and also how good it was. I have never played X-2 but I do own it in my back log, haha.. One day I'll pop it in. Another interesting thing. I am just like Becky as in I quite playing X about 3/4ths of the way through, I just lost my motivation to finish it, I always wonder if it would be worth it to go back and finish the dang thing.

I miss the skit at the beginning.. Not gonna lie.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next cast!
  • KyoskeKyoske Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Another really fun listen for the RPG Backtrack!

First and foremost I've got to give it up to the host for the following:

JCServant "What-not" count: 2 (very respectable!)

I was shocked to learn that Final Fantasy X was not quite as beloved as I would have assumed. While I was fortunate to have a friend who LOVED Blitzball, I found the sport incredibly annoying to play. That said, I was kind of happy to see a nod to the novel "A Separate Peace" which had a game of similar name in it.

I know i played this game in highschool, and therefore my age might mean i was less critical than i am now, but I was somewhat shocked by the RPG backtrack's annoyance at Tidus attempting to be the hero of the game. Whereas I am sure Yuna could/would/probably should have made a better lead, I found no issue with Tidus being the kind of character he is. He's typical. My main remembrance of him was that when it was not a FMV sequence Tidus had particularly Caucasian American/Australian features. However, once the FMV started he looked a lot more Asian in nature.

My main interest in the game from the battle system, which it appeared the RPG backtrack panel enjoyed as much as I did.

I'm a little confused what is wrong with Tidus being shirtless? He has a nice body...if i had one like that I'd totally show it off :) Though he does seem to be that way for people into Yaoi :)

I wasn't a super big fan of the skit being at the end. Maybe it is something I need to just get used to, but it felt like it was styled like an introduction instead of a bonus or ending.

Is the RPG Backtrack theme that played at the beginning gone forever?

I remember playing FF X a lot, and I know for a fact I dodged the lightning however many times (200?) to get Lulu's special weapon. I got everyones weapon out of my desire to be a completionist.

As for FFX-2 a friend bought it, I played it for about 20 minutes, got bored and never felt bad about it. FFX was probably the last game I played really fanatically. I did some work on FFXIII, but the second something more interesting came along, I was done. (after beating the game)
    I am starting to think the reason FF games didn't do voice acting is that, their script writing isn't the strongest suit they have. So most voice actors are going to sound dumb saying anything.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure why, but you guys forgot to mention the most awkward/awesome minigame in FFX-2.

[video=youtube;qoWWCtACy-w]

I personally can't help but wonder how anyone involved in programming that part could keep a straight face. That's some sub-Three's Company level stuff there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited February 2011
    Oh, the Leblanc massage game was mentioned at some point. I think we might have decided to attempt to purge it from our collective memories before we started recording. :)