If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nomura Talks FF Versus XIII, Explains Trailer

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
Featuring impressive graphics, a dynamic-looking battle system, and a cast that may or may not include Brad Pitt, Versus XIII is attracting a lot of attention. Nomura has even taken time off from Tweeting about The 3rd Birthday to explain some things from the latest Versus XIII trailer.

[Story]
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Should have just skipped 13-2. I mean, sure they have the graphics and battle engine already finished, from 13, just seems like a stop-gap to increase dev time for Versus.
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Until they've got something remotely useful regarding the date, don't really care about it.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • DerusDerus Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Wrong person sorry.

Damn why do I always mistake Nomura for Nojima.?
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited January 2011
    "Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's undeniable."

/SIGH

Noctis sounds like an idiot...

edit: i also find this line kind of ironic since...HE'S A PRINCE.
    sup?
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Maudren said:
    Noctis sounds like an idiot...
    He sounds like an angsty adolescent. Oh wait.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited January 2011
    I hope that there are different slots to equip weapons and change them on the fly without entering the menu all the time. Yep I'm interested in this game so far and also in Agito.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    shoptroll said:
    He sounds like an angsty adolescent. Oh wait.

I think you mean "Oh snap!"
  • VncentValntineVncentValntine Pretty much... Full Members
    edited January 2011
    For a second there, I forgot i was watching a FF trailer... then Behemoth jumped in... Holy Hijacking Tanks Batman! I'm so in!
    edited January 2011
    So I watched the video, and holy crap, it looks like crisis core on crack. AMAZING. Bring on the bad dialogue, I don't care anymore. The graphics and gameplay look EPIC!

Could this game, and 13-2 be the two games that basically tell the fans, "STFU noobs, we still know how to make badass console games". Even if 13-2 ends up sucking, Nomura is on the scene to dispense the ownage with versus 13. There is just NO way this game could suck, even if Noctis spent the entire game saying "ham sandwich" over and over again.
    sup?
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    taking a step back: remember when trailers explained themselves and the game, instead of just being a lot of flash that the designers have to explain later.
    edited January 2011
    Today Nomura is to SE what Kojima is to Konami. I'm very hyped for this game.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2011
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    taking a step back: remember when trailers explained themselves and the game, instead of just being a lot of flash that the designers have to explain later.

Eh, Nomura's interviews were basically just answering questions people had about the characters/situations they saw in the trailer, then elaborating on the combat system, since he wasn't at the press event to talk about the game.
  • Methos5000Methos5000 Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    So if they are looking for celebrity voice actors for the English version, the white haired guy at the ends looks like Malcom MacDowell or Anthony Hopkins would be a good fit. For the guy sitting on the throne (Noctis's dad I presume?) I am thinking either Alan Rickman or Christopher Lee. Just some thoughts anyway.

Overall I thought it looked pretty epic at least we have a decent amount of gameplay to look at now.
    edited January 2011
    Methos5000 said:
    So if they are looking for celebrity voice actors for the English version, the white haired guy at the ends looks like Malcom MacDowell or Anthony Hopkins would be a good fit. For the guy sitting on the throne (Noctis's dad I presume?) I am thinking either Alan Rickman or Christopher Lee. Just some thoughts anyway.

Overall I thought it looked pretty epic at least we have a decent amount of gameplay to look at now.

Noctis should be Haley Joel Osment =p
    edited January 2011
    No, Noctis should be Troy Baker, because then he'll get at least some measure of awesomeness. :D
    edited January 2011
    They could use the same voice actor of Cloud in Advent Children.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Maudren said:
    So I watched the video, and holy crap, it looks like crisis core on crack. AMAZING. Bring on the bad dialogue, I don't care anymore. The graphics and gameplay look EPIC!

If you look closely at the battles you'll see how much they resemble Kingdom Hearts, while stylistically the game resembles Crisis Core. It's not a bad combination, though I'm predicting a lot of whining about the repetitiveness of combat and from people who can't relate to characters with personality disorders.
    Currently playing:
    Dragon Age: Inquisition | Final Fantasy VII | The Banner Saga | Ys: Origins | Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
  • colormonstercolormonster Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    # Prince Noctis, the game's main character, is strong physically, but also boasts a secret power that's possessed by all members of the royal family. He can be seen unleashing this power in an early Dengeki trailer of the game.

# Noctis appears to be a bit of a rebel, being quoted as saying, "Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's undeniable."

# Noctis travels with a group of friends who have been seen doing an Ocean's Eleven-style cool guy walk. Noctis is their leader because he is royalty, but they have a casual relationship with him and aren't afraid to tease or criticise him.
    Ugh...

On top of the semi-fun looking battle system we have now, give me: a world that is open for exploration, number of unique sidequests, and one good character/villain to overshadow Noctis and other overdone bishounen archetypes... please?
    edited January 2011
    colormonster said:
    Ugh...

...On top of the semi-fun looking battle system we have now, give me: a world that is open for exploration...

I'm pretty sure you're getting this
    edited January 2011
    Spartakus said:
    If you look closely at the battles you'll see how much they resemble Kingdom Hearts, while stylistically the game resembles Crisis Core. It's not a bad combination, though I'm predicting a lot of whining about the repetitiveness of combat and from people who can't relate to characters with personality disorders.
    I know it's the KH team making it, but the combat doesn't look as fast as a KH game. Noctis' movements and combat animation remind me more of Zach than Sora. Also, if you look closely at VS 13's combat moves, you will notice there seems to be lacking a jump button. Now you will notice noctis doing jump attacks sure, but they look to be parts of combos, and not independant jumps. Also, when Noctis jumps onto a vehicle, you will notice that he's not independantly jumping onto the vehicle, it looks as though the vehicle is highlighted with a blue icon, and then the player clicks it, to prompt Noctis to jump onto it.

That's why the combat kinda reminds me more of CC, because Zach never had an independant jump action, he just had a dodge button, much like Noctis obviously has. The KH mechanics come into play with Noctis having a party, most likely with somewhat programable AI like KH, although it seems you can take direct control of them, which is really exciting because the third person over the shoulder shooting character looks really cool.

Anyhoo, the combat looks like an excellent combination of both CC and KH. I cannot wait. This game cannot fail. It WILL NOT fail.
    sup?
    edited January 2011
    colormonster said:
    Ugh...

On top of the semi-fun looking battle system we have now, give me: a world that is open for exploration, number of unique sidequests, and one good character/villain to overshadow Noctis and other overdone bishounen archetypes... please?

I don't think anybody gets to make too many assumptions about Noctis yet. I mean, we've hardly seen him, and we don't know what that line will sound like when it's been localized. Also, the "guy gang" thing Noctis has going hasn't really been overdone in video games like it has in anime. I'm willing to give the prince a chance.
  • colormonstercolormonster Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Ocelot said:
    I don't think anybody gets to make too many assumptions about Noctis yet. I mean, we've hardly seen him, and we don't know what that line will sound like when it's been localized. Also, the "guy gang" thing Noctis has going hasn't really been overdone in video games like it has in anime. I'm willing to give the prince a chance.

I've been keeping myself away from making assumptions thus far but the new info in this article gives me enough to know how his character is probably going to be like. Add this new revealed character traits with Nomura's taste in characters plus the character design and we have enough to make an educated guess. I really hope that I am totally wrong, though.