If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The New Newbie Game Help Thread

maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The StarsSomewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
edited November 2012 in General Help & Advice
Since the old one was attracting massive spambots I'm recreating this.

If you have less than 10 posts, can't make threads, and need help with a game, put it here. Spamming here tho will be dealt with HARSHLY. So don't or you will pay the price.
93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
My personal page
New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.

Comments

• madaxesmadaxes New Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Hi guys, I am a former (Playstation) Final Fantasy Enthusiast, vi, vii, viii, ix, x. loved all of them very much. I never had an SNES and have not played playstation or PS2 since i finished FFX. I was recently given an xbox360 and I am looking to choose a 360 game to renew my RPG obsession. Recommendations Please. Thanks In advance.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2012
    The only good 360 RPGs I can think of are Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey. Then again, it's kind of hard just to think of one when it comes to the 360, since it's oversaturated by FPS and sports games.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited October 2012
    OK Thanks. It seems like FFXII gets a lot of love as I read through some threads. If i were to buy a ps3 is that a good place to start, or shoud i start where i left off at X-2. It may take me some time to save money for the PS3 but i have little interest for sports and shooters. What about the square enix 360 games?
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2012
    Those Dark mentioned are likely the two best received ones, other possible JRPG options are Infinite Undiscovery (maybe not great but I enjoyed it), Magna Carta II, and Resonance of Fate. I would advise a bit of further research on these before buying blindly though as it's very much a taste thing for these :)

edit - You'd have to buy an original model PS3 to play X-2 or XII on it (or hope they get round to releasing those on PSN), unfortuantely the newer ones don't have the backwards compatibility.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited October 2012
    I didnt know that the ps3 doesnt have backwards compatibility that blows. I assume FFXIII is not an rpg, i will check out the ones you guys recommended thank you
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Stuck on Kurt in Tales of Graces. Do I just need to level grind more? Set difficulty to easy? What is the best strategy?
  • ksunstarksunstar Full Members
    I am new to the Disgaea series and I just got Disgaea 4 and D2 for my PS3. I really love everything about them except the control scheme. I am used to Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, etc and therefore I am used to up on the controller being up, down being down, etc. I am also used to being able to scroll through the fighters as opposed to having to move the cursor over to each person. Am I missing something here or is this just a control scheme I need to adjust to.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited November 2015
    Well, I don't know why, but I can't seem to make a new post anywhere. I will ask my question here then. EDIT - Never mind I am blind and can see the big "New discussion" button /shrug

Is there a way to know which 3DS game work only with the new 3DS, or I have to presume that all new games work only with the new one?
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Ombres, it looks like if you look at the case, and it says "New Nintendo 3DS" rather than "Nintendo 3DS", that would be the most likely indicator. It also says so on the eShop. Take a look at the Xenoblade case for your region to see what I was talking about.

The list as far as I can see is the following, several of which are eShop only.
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
    The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
    The Pinball Arcade
    Lifespeed
    Windup Knight 2

Also, in the future, all Unity engine games will likely be N3DS only. But for the most part, there aren't many exclusives, but some games do take advantage of N3DS hardware that can still be played on a regular 3DS.

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    ok thanks, I was just wondering if there was anything on the site about it.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Full Members
    Here's somewhat unusual question - do folks here consider PvP MMORPGs "RPG enough" not to be offtopic? (for example, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online etc.).

I haven't noticed much else than single player games being mentioned, that's why I ask.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited November 2015
    While RPGamer's coverage on these games is scant for various reasons, they can still be discussed in the Role Playing Games board. Most of our forum members just seem to prefer single-player games, or at least prefer talking about them.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Full Members
    Ok, I guessed so. The other part of that "equation" (PvP) is kinda similarly exclusive, PvP players typically think that there's not much space or point in RPing in "their" games.

Well, if nothing else, at least it's not considered offtopic =)