If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Trails in the Sky Limited Edition Busting at the Seams

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
We have a handful of new screens to check out for Trails in the Sky, because after all, any more would be a waste. The Limited Edition is also busting at the seams. If you want a feel for what's inside the package, let your imagination wander no longer.

Story
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    This looks like a lovely pre-order bonus. I definitely want to take a closer look at this game when it releases. :)
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    This was next on my import list, might have to go a bit further for the special edition now :)
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 2011
    I'll be getting it for sure! Also glad to see its still targeted for March, can't wait to finally play it.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    ChickenGod, I feel like I have to get it to see what all the fuss is about. This game is budget priced, so it's no big deal if it's a flop.

Reading the marketing-esque description in the news story, it sounds like this is a good game for you if you value story over gameplay. I'm not that type of gamer (I like gameplay over story), but I feel like I have to get this anyway.

What I'd like to know: Why is this game budget priced if it requires such a great amount of translation effort to localize?
    edited February 2011
    Scratch that, think I'm definitely wrong :D
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
  • Hero Killer IdHero Killer Id Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I've pre-ordered and purchased every LoH game thus far but have yet to beat any of them. I really need to buck this trend. Either way the game looks good and I'll be picking it up if anything just to support XSeed and Falcom.
  • WyrdwadWyrdwad Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    flamethrower said:
    ChickenGod, I feel like I have to get it to see what all the fuss is about. This game is budget priced, so it's no big deal if it's a flop.

Reading the marketing-esque description in the news story, it sounds like this is a good game for you if you value story over gameplay. I'm not that type of gamer (I like gameplay over story), but I feel like I have to get this anyway.

What I'd like to know: Why is this game budget priced if it requires such a great amount of translation effort to localize?

Because nobody would buy it if it were more expensive! (: People don't have as much money to spend on games these days as they once did, and the PSP is a system that's nearing the end of its life-cycle. It wouldn't make any sense to release a game at "full price" in today's market.

Also, do be prepared: this game is VERY MUCH story over gameplay. You've gotta be ready for a looooot of reading when you play this one... but it's worth it, as it probably has one of the most highly-detailed, well-explained, thorough plots ever to grace a JRPG. The beauty of this game very definitely lies in its extensive world and character development.

-Tom
  • ashuashu Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    *ahem*

MOTHER OF GOD YES. /drool

*cough*

I want this. Bad.
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2011
    It's still hard to believe this is really happening. Until the very moment when it got announced for localization, I was absolutely convinced it would never see a release outside of Japan.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if TITS will be released on NGP flash carts or... I don't know what will happen exactly with the NGP because Sony is not very clear.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    10 minutes ago I knew nothing about this game. Now it's on my to-play list. Curse you, RPGamer, curse you.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Nice, I was hoping this would get an LE.
    edited February 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    I wonder if TITS will be released on NGP flash carts or... I don't know what will happen exactly with the NGP because Sony is not very clear.

"A standard version and digital download will also be available, each for $29.99."
    Sony has answered that. NGP plays PSP titles that are downloaded from the PSN store.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    What is NGP?

This will be a first day purchase (I'll be pre-ordering it online, actually).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2011
    Ngp = psp2
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2011
    LordKaiser said:

I'm sure there'll be TITS on many an NGP. :yes: :laugh:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited February 2011
    Macstorm said:
    Ngp = psp2
    Yawn. I am not impressed. I would prefer a more dedicated gaming handheld. It looks like they are trying to shoehorn a cell phone / PDA / hand held gaming device into one form factor. It sounds like it will be a jack of all trades and master of none.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited February 2011
    That's not at all what they are doing with the NGP. It's not a phone and they've not shown any PDA type functions. They played it up as just a gaming machine...
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    Man, I'm really looking forward to playing with some TitS :)
    edited February 2011
    I just hope the fans really do support this. I can't imagine this is a small undertaking from XSEED, so I hope it goes well for them because I want to see the rest of the series.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • CipherinthesnoWCipherinthesnoW Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Also the first time I've heard of this game, I'm definitely interested. :P Not sure if it's worth it for the LE though, is the music that good?
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I love TitS, can't wait for this, and thanks XSEED.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited February 2011
    i'm gonna be getting this game, probably going with the LE too. Am I super excited for it? Not really, it's a bad month for its release in my opinion. I think there's like 10 games coming out in feb-march that I am getting, so it's going to be ridiculously expensive for me. :( Huzzah for credit cards!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited February 2011
    I figure everything else coming out in March I'll be able to get down the line. With TitS, I want to make sure XSEED knows via my $$$ that I want to buy the rest of the series.
    CipherinthesnoW said:
    Also the first time I've heard of this game, I'm definitely interested. :P Not sure if it's worth it for the LE though, is the music that good?
    This is one of my favorites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTwnoOkvoE
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • CipherinthesnoWCipherinthesnoW Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Macstorm said:
    I figure everything else coming out in March I'll be able to get down the line. With TitS, I want to make sure XSEED knows via my $$$ that I want to buy the rest of the series.

This is one of my favorites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTwnoOkvoE
    Lovely, the soundtracks are usually the motivating factors when deciding on getting the LE editions or not. And XSEED has done some amazing work lately in localization, with the YS series and also Half-Minute Hero. So another Trilogy from Falcom is a win for me! :)
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2011
    MonCapitan2002 said:
    Yawn. I am not impressed. I would prefer a more dedicated gaming handheld. It looks like they are trying to shoehorn a cell phone / PDA / hand held gaming device into one form factor. It sounds like it will be a jack of all trades and master of none.

I think you have it confused with the Xperia Play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Are these really worth it? I checked out the original trilogy on PSP, and they just look so generic.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
    edited February 2011
    Macstorm said:
    That's not at all what they are doing with the NGP. It's not a phone and they've not shown any PDA type functions. They played it up as just a gaming machine...
    Now I feel stupid. My interest in this device has been reignited.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    Zaku77 said:
    Are these really worth it? I checked out the original trilogy on PSP, and they just look so generic.
    Ugh. These are NOTHING like the PSP trilogy. Those were not even made by Falcom really. A Japanese developer called MiCROViSion took Falcom's PC versions of Legend of Heroes III, IV, and V, neutered them, and released them on the PSP. Then on top of that, Namco Bandai butchered their localizations.

The original trilogy was charming still, but the battle system was beyond boring. It was just "select attack" then "wait for character to move and attack." The Trails in the Sky battle system is a blend of turn-based combat and tactical RPG movement. In each encounter, you move around a grid and your attacks have a range. So think of it as having fast, mini tactical RPG battles. As Wyrdwad said, TitS is very heavy on story, but that shouldn't undercut its battle system, which is a HUGE improvement over the other crappy PSP ones.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Alright, I'll keep an eye on this one then. besides, who doesn't love tits? >XD
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee