If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Database hijack affecting old accounts?

oddigyoddigy MemberFull Members
edited February 2011 in Site & Forum Support
Hi there,

Just recently I checked in and was amused that my account was still active. However, my country was listed as "Scotland" and I had a spammy URL listed in my signature. I initially thought the password to my account had been brute-forced as it used something old that was insecure by today's standards. I changed the password but did not notice any spammy posts originating from my account. The only change looked to have been to the region and the signature block.

I took a short trip down memory lane and browsed my old posts. In many of the threads where I'd posted, there are other user accounts displaying the same region "Scotland" and the same spammy URL in their signature. That leads me to think that at some point in the past there was a database infiltration where some data was injected. One of the threads which shows many posts made by 'infected' accounts is here:

http://board.rpgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?7145-New-Things-at-RPGamer&p=134132

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Comments