If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ys I & II Chronicles Shows Off Fire and Kangaroos

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
We have a few more screenshots and a new trailer for the upcoming Ys I & II remake on the PSP. If you want to know how the kangaroos come into it, you'll need to see for yourself.

[Link]

Comments

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Darm Tower.... What a maze it was...
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I JUST replayed these on DS, but I'm tempted to do it again now lol
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2011
    Darm wasn't really that bad. I actually had more trouble with the starting dungeon of Ys 2 than I did with Darm.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WyrdwadWyrdwad Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Darm Tower is actually pretty linear when you get right down to it. The path splits EVERY NOW AND AGAIN, but mostly, you're just... going up. (:

Now the Shrine of Solomon in Ys II? *THAT* is a maze.

Hell, most of the dungeons in Ys II are. I still get lost every time I try to navigate the Ice Ridge of Noltia.

-Tom
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Definitely getting this along with Oath in Felghana. Just finished Ark of Napishtim and loved it.
    Currently playing:
    Dragon Age: Inquisition | Final Fantasy VII | The Banner Saga | Ys: Origins | Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
    edited February 2011
    Yep but Darm tower confuses you in a way that you don't know if you're going up or down. Oh and Zaku77 after you get the PSP superior version you can smash the DS version to pieces AVGN style.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • rydia of the mistrydia of the mist Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Does the psp version have more the the DS? I just bought the DS one last month because I've never played one but heard they are great and they sound interesting. Would it be worth it to buy 1 and 2 on the PSP also?
    edited February 2011
    Can't say if it has MORE. I can say that the PSP version is made by Falcom where the DS one was a port from another company. I tried the DS one and it felt clunky to me, but the PSP version has been smooth so far.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2011
    The awesome music is also held back by the DS' horrible archaic sound chip, but this isn't an issue in the PSP version. It also looks and plays much better and has several options for art and music. It's far superior to that mess on the DS.
    edited February 2011
    Any idea if the extra area in the DS version might be in the PSP one? The Vageux-Vardette crater thing? Because if so maybe I'll just sale the DS version and eventually get the psp one... It's sounding like it's better...
    edited February 2011
    Also, thanks for all with my questions and such :) Wikipeda can only help so much XD
    edited February 2011
    The bonus area from the DS version is *not* in the PSP game... but honestly, it's nothing special. It feels really tacked on, and adds exactly nothing to the plot. (:

And yeah, I realize there's a conflict of interests here (I'm an XSEED employee, so of COURSE I'm going to hype the game!)... but in all seriousness, the DS version of the game is a very different experience from the PSP version, as it actually has an entirely different combat system. And while there ARE people who enjoy the DS version's combat system... most people seem to agree that it's a bit clunky, and that Falcom's own take on the game for PC and PSP feels far more natural.

I'd encourage you to try both, though, and see for yourself which you prefer.

-Tom
    edited February 2011
    I can't talk to the DS version, but I don't think I'm breaking embargo when I say that the PSP version is really fast and is easy to get into. Enjoying it much more than I expected to.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited February 2011
    Sweet! Glad to hear it. (:

-Tom
    edited February 2011
    Thank you very much for all your help :) I might look into the PSP one. Might as well I barely have any games for it ^_^;;;; And I would like to play a great verions of Ys 1 and 2 since I hear such great things about the series
    edited February 2011
    You should run right out and get Oath In Feglhana as well. That game is just so good.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

• TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Oath in Felghana is godly, I agree.
    SEVEN is fun too.

Anyways, can't wait for this on the 22nd, though I'll be heavily involved with Dragon Quest VI and Tactics Ogre, so Ys may need to wait, temporarily at least.
    edited February 2011
    I've been keeping an eye out for it at Gamestop :D Got 7 last Friday :) I will get to it.. Maybe after I finish FF4 complete collection cause I know no game will be played when that comes out. I've waited for a sequel to that game since 1991. And I want to enjoy Ys so I will wait. Because I'd just try to rush through it if I start it soon..
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I've got RPG problems too, DQVI comes out early next week, as well as Tactics Ogre, also Ys I & II Chronicles and Radiant Historia the week after, so some games are going to have to wait unfortunately, firstly I'll be playing DQVI since I waited 15 years for it.

Then later on there's Dissidia 012, The 3rd Birthday and FFIV Complete Collection among other things, way too many games...
    And if the InFamous 2 release date is indeed in May, and I'll need to shell out $100 for that Hero edition, gragh.
    edited February 2011
    rydia of the mist said:
    I've been keeping an eye out for it at Gamestop :D Got 7 last Friday :) I will get to it.. Maybe after I finish FF4 complete collection cause I know no game will be played when that comes out. I've waited for a sequel to that game since 1991. And I want to enjoy Ys so I will wait. Because I'd just try to rush through it if I start it soon..

Well, bear in mind the Ys games are actually quite short (save for Ys Seven, anyway). Ys I will take you 5-10 hours to beat, Ys II 10-15, and Felghana 10-20. And that's... a pretty conservative estimate. (:

These are old games, remember. Remade or not, old console games tend to be pretty short... but as they say, they're "short but sweet." ;)

-Tom
    edited February 2011
    That is great to know:) Thank for this :) I don't know anyone in RL who has played this series so I was just guessing that it might take me a bit.. It's good to know I can probably get it in before FF4 for the PSP.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited February 2011
    You can tell a great story in 10-20 hours and if you're working full time it's just frustrating to play modern JRPGs that are padded into the 50+ hours range. Every time you pick up Ys you feel like you make significant progress both in the story and in levelling your char and you never feel like the game is wasting your time in order to slap "50 hours of gameplay" on the cover.
    Currently playing:
    Dragon Age: Inquisition | Final Fantasy VII | The Banner Saga | Ys: Origins | Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
    edited February 2011
    Yup, the first 2 Ys games combined are about as long as game ought to be. I was really surprised when I beat the first one in a single evening.

edited February 2011
    For some reason I see Ys I and Ys II as a single game. It looks like a single game split in 2 on purpose.
    edited February 2011
    They kinda play like a single game, honestly. I mean, Ys II picks up at the EXACT MOMENT where Ys I leaves off, so they tell a pretty cohesive story...

-Tom
    edited February 2011
    Thanks everyone :D After reading some more reviews about how bad the ds version is, I decided to trade it in to Gamestop and put the credit towards Radian Historia and will be getting a PSP copy of the game :) Because I don't want a bad version to make me not like what seems to be a great game