If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 35 - Bewitching Witches

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
Theoretically, games starring beguiling witches should be fascinating and fun to play. Our frequent divergence onto the subject of manatee mangling would appear to belie that theory, but listen and decide for yourself.
Luminous Arc time.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited February 2011
    For anyone who's curious, the music tracks used in this episode are, in order:

1) Brilliant World (LA 1 opening)
    2) Unlimited World (LA 2 opening)
    3) One Trick (LA 1 battle theme)
    4) The Day the World Falls (LA 2 final boss theme)

I really could have defened Luminous Arc 2 a little better. *Sigh*
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Now, this is only my second episode in, but does the show ever become more than:

1. Pick a game we played in the past
    2. Bash the ever living poo out of said game
    3. Continue to bash the ever living poo out of said game
    4. End the show on a jovial note as we recommend the game to listeners

Just wondering. :)
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    It's not always like that. It's hard though when you're talking about a game that four out of five people disliked. ^^; The whole point of a panel is to have mixed opinions on different games. The next episode, for example, is going to be a game that will probably get universal love and you'll likely not even hear a peep of a bad.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Cool cool, looking forward to it. :)
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    Yep, or go back to our archives and listen to the Final Fantasy IX show if you want to hear a show full of sunshine and love. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2011
    First off, manatees > Phil.

Second, the SNK Ninja chick was Mai Shiranui.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited February 2011
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited February 2011
    *clapping*
    Wow, that was some really good banter there at the beginning there. Kudos.
    I had the...Fortune to play this game a while back, but i got about 2/3rds through and stopped. it just lost it's appeal.
    One thing I remember bothering me that i dont think you brought up was that, besides the boring attacks, and lack of choice in combat, Everyones turns took FOREVER. That certainly didnt make me want to play for very long in any sitting.
    edited February 2011
    I completely forgot to mention Ayano, or at least bring her up with the brief mention of no busty ninjas. Ayano is a ninja in everything but class name (she is the "Nocturne Witch") and her ability to use Silver Magic, which blocks other magic. She's plenty busty, too.
  • HellGundam7HellGundam7 Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I'm surprised you guys did something relatively recent and unknown. And how much hate the second one apparently deserved. The way it was taken you'd think it was a crime against humanity. The podcast definitely need a better ratio of liked to disliked. You need to speak up more Strawberry Eggs.

I really liked the games. I equate them to the Lunar games, in that they weren't too serious for the most part, didn't do anything new for the genre, had at least a couple entertaining characters/lines ("I stare because I care"), bare-bone stories, and yet still fun. The music is really good too. If you knocked that I'd have to come at ye with pitchforks!

I'm surprised Sam liked Pop, since she prolonged the story because of her bratty-ness. I hated her so much.

Could've used some other information to prolong the podcast it a bit more. Can't recall if you mentioned the multiplayer. Atlus even sponsored a Luminous Arc 2 tournament with the Atlus Faithful. Also, in Arc Rise Fantasia, Saki, Lucia, and Vanessa make an appearance in a cameo battle and Kopins inhabit the world. One joins you too and has fairly entertaining commentary.

And thank you Strawberry Eggs. I was going to ask why wasn't my favorite witch not mentioned. image image
    Look at her, she has an amazing disguise. A better 'developed' Saki, a glass-cannon.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited February 2011
    Yep, glass cannon more-or-less fits her. Now that I see the picture I remember being really disappointed when she finally joined, only to have the defense of Glass Joe.
    Next time will be lengthier and more positive - that much can pretty much be guaranteed. Not difficult when this episode turned out as it did, but still.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited February 2011
    I know, I should have spoken up more. i didn't even get the chance to finish my summary of Luminous Arc 2's story. Though really, it seems I joined staff just in the nick of time for this podcast. ^^;

I wanted to bring up ARC stuff, but the game is only a little more than six months old. I thought I would throw in the mention that it seems to be part of the same mulitverse as both (all three?) Luminous Arc games, but I didn't really get the chance to.