If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Spambot Outbreak

Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_oFull Members
edited April 2011 in Site & Forum Support
I wasn't sure whether to put this in a thread or just to send a PM to Paws or Clix. However, I feel that some public airing of this very public problem. We have a bad spambot problem. Looks like it is coming out of Russia or eastern Europe (based on the Cyrillic posts that pop up often). That may not be as important as it is interesting (even though most cyber crimes seem to be originating from that region). However, it is highly disruptive and has kept the moderators on their toes. So I would like to ask if there is anything possible to do in vBulletin, such as having to approve posts for new new members (<10 posts).

Does anyone else have any ideas?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II

Comments

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited February 2011
    Well, I think you've noticed there was a big huge amount and then they mostly went away. What we have been doing:

We've been keeping track of IPs and banning ip addresses of repeat offenders. (A mod like me can't ban ips but Paws and Clix CAN. So they've been busy too.)

That's reduced it to 1-2 a day on average, but yeah. I think we need to put in a capatcha or a challenge question soon as possible on registering.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    Trust me when I say I know it's an aggravating problem -- both for the readers and loyal boardies along with the moderator team. I apologize for the disruption it causes, and I want to assure you that my silence isn't a demonstration that I (and we all) are unaware or unsympathetic about the problem.

At the moment, I don't have a good answer for you about an upgrade. It's something I've repeatedly requested, but I've received no answer about. Currently, our usage license is expired and we need to purchase a new one; once we do, we can apply critical updates that remove some of the current exploits. I've contacted the relevant parties again, this time by email, and when I have an answer from them I can pass it along to you all.
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Please get an answer soon, we just got hit again.

http://board.rpgamer.com/forum/member.php?32279-moneerrocky6
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Oh, don't get me wrong, Paws. You guys have been busting your butts on this problem. Actually, kudos for it. Spambots have a very short life here thanks to the moderators and admins.

Actually, I find it interesting (and fortunate) that the spambots seem to be hitting dead and low post threads while mostly avoiding Miscellaneous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited February 2011
    Frankly it has been annoying me as a mod that they keep hitting General Help and Advice (the slowest board on the forum) and we've had to lock a lot more threads than normal in there to leave them with not many places to post.

But there's not much we can do other than ban, ban and IP ban until we get that upgrade; tho I still think once we do that we should put in a challenge question at least to help stop the bots from registering.

Also thank you to all the boardies who keep reporting the spammers; you all deserve medals. I'm sorry we can't do more at the moment but hopefully it'll stop with time.
    My personal page
    edited February 2011
    Hi all;

Been a week and wanted to let you know I still have not received an answer from the needed people on the site. Will let you know when I hear anything, just didn't want to let this slip through the cracks.
    edited February 2011
    In an effort to cut down on the amount of spambot registration, we've installed a new anti-spam module that is a band-aid solution until we receive the newest forum software. However, less than 5 minutes after it was installed it had successfully blocked a spammer, so I'd say it is doing its job.

----

However, because this is an automated rejection system, it has the chance of rejecting legit accounts. If this happens to you or someone you know, please email us at board@rpgamer.com ~
    edited February 2011
    If anyone wants to know, I was the one that found that board plugin and alerted Clix in hopes that it'd help temp solve the problem and make the job of being moderator a little easier. (Gets wearing getting rid of that scum.)

Tho hopefully we can get the upgrade soon so we won't need it as badly.
    My personal page
    edited March 2011
    We should see a software upgrade in the next week.
    edited March 2011
    Not sure what to tell you all at this point. I was told an upgrade would be in "within a week" on the 7th. To my knowledge, that hasn't occurred. I'll be following up...again...and see what the issue is.
    edited April 2011
    Anyone interested in seeing new forum software should email "Mikel Tidwell" <firemyst@gmail.com> and ask him to buy it.
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Are we talking a new forum software different from vB or a new version of this one?
    edited April 2011
    We're now updated to vB 4.1.3
This discussion has been closed.