If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

PS3 Repair

FudorahZubatFudorahZubat Monster LoverFull Members
edited March 2011 in General Help & Advice
I'm looking for some advice and/or recommendations for places where I can get my PS3 repaired. Several months ago the disc reader on it died. Nothing else is wrong with the system, still functions just fine, go online, play PSN games, just not read any sort of disc.

I took it to a local gamestore that repairs consoles and handhelds and they had my system for almost a month but couldn't fix it because 'they couldn't get the necessary parts.'

Does anyone know of any other way to get it fixed? It's second hand so there's no warranty. And I desperately want to keep this particular console as it is one of the backwards compatible ones.

Secondly:
In my own searching I have found this service. So my second question is whether anybody has ever heard of them before and whether they are a trustworthy place to send my console too?

Comments

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Um, have you considered sending it to Sony? They offer repair services.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    here are your options:

1. Find a modder online. I've seen plenty of these guys ready, willing and able to fix PS3 systems.(I've also seen PS3 Blu Ray drive parts on ebay.) Only drawback: You forfeit all support from Sony because the seal on your console has been broken.
    2. Call Sony and pay their $200 ripoff fee to get a refurbished console...(and no you can't get your original console back! )

edit: Also I haven't heard of those modders but it doesn't prove that they aren't good and don't steal.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • FudorahZubatFudorahZubat Monster Lover Full Members
    edited March 2011
    As far as sending it to Sony goes. As Shadowcat mentioned they're more expensive and my PS3 is backwards compatible. I don't want to send it off only to get a non-backwards compatible system in exchange.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The do it yourself option sounds like it could work for me. I think I'll direct some of my research in that direction. Are there any recommended places/tutorials to check out?
    edited March 2011
    try searching youtube as many modders have made videos

As for that you can request the same model from Sony but they do like to hand out slims...the drawback with Sony is since it's not the same console all your backups and video you got from PSN are worthless since they are bonded to the console. Also alot of content can't be redownloaded for free unlike a wii. Me? I'd be abit chicken to take my console apart even though I'm a PC tech and build my own desktops. I was thinking of trying to find some guy to put better thermal compound in there but since I don't really have loud fan issues I don't see the point...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited March 2011
    Alright, final question. With Sony really cracking down on the PS3 security I have to ask. If I install the new drive myself will it count as an 'illegal modification' that they would ban my console for?
    edited March 2011
    I don't think Sony will ban you over repairing your own PS3 as their focus is custom firmware although I do worry about them suing the universe. People have done this before and the worst you might have to do is reflash 3.56 from the now harder to get to recovery console(due to blu ray drive firmware updates).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited March 2011
    Thank you for the heads up Shadowcat. And that's pretty much all my questions answered.

And another thank you to everyone. ^_^
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    As far as sending it to Sony goes. As Shadowcat mentioned they're more expensive and my PS3 is backwards compatible. I don't want to send it off only to get a non-backwards compatible system in exchange.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The do it yourself option sounds like it could work for me. I think I'll direct some of my research in that direction. Are there any recommended places/tutorials to check out?

Not sure what it's like over there, but repairs for a BC PS3 are $129.99 (I had to send my PS3 in some time back). Replacement with a non-BC system is just $99.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.