If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Xenogears Stomps Its Way to PSN

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
Xenogears is on it's way to PlayStation Network tomorrow. Everyone jump into your stompy robots and make some noise.

Story.

Comments

• BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    It's about time. That's all there is to say about that.

I still have the PS1 disks, so I may or may not be picking this one up. Probably leaning towards the "may". :)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    I think it's time I gave this game another chance
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    woot, another reason to keep my discs sealed in a fireproof safe with all the other important things, car titles, guns, insurance video of everything in the house, etc.

-Kel
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    hopefully they fixed babel tower
    thanks for reading
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited February 2011
    They don't fix anything for PSOne Classics.
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Heh... I wonder if Vagrant Story will show up tomorrow too. Probably not, but here's to keeping your fingers crossed! ^_^
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    reionpremente said:
    Heh... I wonder if Vagrant Story will show up tomorrow too. Probably not, but here's to keeping your fingers crossed! ^_^

I'm still surprised it hasn't, given that it's available in Europe.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    This is annoying timing. I just finished this about a week and a half ago. I would have loved to have played it on the PSP to have it look better. Oh well, thats's what second playthroughs are for!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I rented Xenogears (back when there were more than a handful of independent video rental stores), and didn't really enjoy it. I wasn't especially interested in serious stories, or games that required learning new combat systems.

Would I pay a few bucks to try it again for my PSP? Maybe, maybe not... Most of my PSP use these days is Lumines, Harvest Moon Boy and Girl, and Half Minute Hero. Two of those three games are enjoyable in short segments, and I just find the other one relaxing. For some reason, I don't tend to enjoy lengthy games on the PSP...
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Everyone loves giant robots. How many other games have giant robots on PS1? There's not that many!

Has an excellent example of Omniscient Council of Vagueness in the Gazel Ministry. Nothing they say will make any sense on your first playthrough. That goes double for a good portion of the in-story dialogue as well.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    The story really is an incredible piece of work. It brings up a lot of issues of society, morality, and the links to Freud's Theory of the Personality are an awesome touch!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Now I get it. Square contracted Mitsuda to do the Xenogears orchestral album specifically to coincide with the NA PSN release of Xenogears. I see what you did there, Square!

In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday. I'm really hoping both the PSN release and album exceed expectations, because Square is colorblind to all but green. Who knows what could happen if things go well.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    Man, I wish I still had my old PSX save. I never did beat this game and would like to take the opportunity to wrap it up.
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Jormungand said:
    In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday.

Wait, what album is this? Where can I get it?

If I tried to make a list of my top 5 favorite games of all time, Xenogears would be on there somewhere. I wish I had time to play through it again nowadays, but my game backlog already builds up faster than I can play through them. All of my computers are named after gears, though.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Jormungand said:
    Now I get it. Square contracted Mitsuda to do the Xenogears orchestral album specifically to coincide with the NA PSN release of Xenogears. I see what you did there, Square!

In all seriousness, MYTH, the orchestral album, goes on sale this Wednesday. I'm really hoping both the PSN release and album exceed expectations, because Square is colorblind to all but green. Who knows what could happen if things go well.

Mine shipped yesterday. Should arrive by tomorrow or the day after. SO exited!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    If they would only fix the near atrocity that was disc 2, this would become one of the greatest games ever made.
  • Fermat's Last TheoremFermat's Last Theorem Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    MeoTwister5 said:
    If they would only fix the near atrocity that was disc 2, this would become one of the greatest games ever made.

It wasn't that bad. Just very... fragmented. That necklace swaying in the background during the introductory segments of each of those episodes, though, I found exquisitely annoying.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Bout time. This came out on JPSN like, years ago.
    caddyalan said:
    I wasn't especially interested in serious stories, or games that required learning new combat systems.
    Huh? ...So in other words, you don't like video games?
  • MaddocMaddoc Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Disc 2 was awful, it's just easy to forgive because the rest of the game was so good and the story remained well written, which brings me to...
    Jormungand said:

While I'd like to be optimistic about eventually seeing the rest of the Xenogears series as outlined in the Perfect Works being made someday, I don't think Square Enix has any writers that could handle the task these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fermat's Last TheoremFermat's Last Theorem Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Jormungand said:

I am psyched out of my mind for this.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah
    edited February 2011
    You know... I found a preview book for Xenogears in a used book store a couple of months ago (in Japan), and it includes origami instructions for Weltall. Is anyone interested?

Also, MYTH is pretty much a day 2 purchase for me (because I'm too busy to go out and get it tomorrow :P )
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Eh, I think they really bit the big one on the second disc. It was NOTHING like the first one, and for a game of its caliber, that's really unfortunate. Why oh why they thought they had to turn all of the rest of the game into a storybook instead of going into more character relationships I'll never know. That is the game's biggest disappointment... as creative as ALL of the characters were, they NEVER really delved into their stories much at all. At least Xenosaga TRIED to fix this mechanic...

I really began to like Elle for example, but she never got fleshed out much at all. -_- Now, maybe if they went back and redid a lot of stuff (namely the second disc) and REALLY gave it a lot more thought, the game would have been so much better. I loved what they did for the rest of the game but the second disc was nothing but a snooze fest. If I wanted the story TOLD to me, I wouldn't have spent all of that time PLAYING it in the first place. I WANTED to EXPERIENCE something. I wanted to feel more like a piece of the action. But, the second disc just blew all of that out of the window.

Maybe if they did a second run through of the game and reworked the second disc so it was something more enjoyable like doing something other than having the characters just bore you to death, then maybe I might respect the second disc more appreciatively. But as it stands right now, I'm sorry but I have to agree with MeoTwister5. It was shaping up to be something great and fell flat on its face. It kind of felt like the strange ending battles of Chrono Cross where they simply had an all-out battle at the end and then no explanation as to what it all meant.

I loved every minute of Xenogears but that second disc was like a slap in the face. ALL of the cutscenes, all of the characterization that was so great in the first part of the game was GONE. AT 2 also had this problem in the later half of the game and it really bugged me. Why do they HAVE to make something that starts out so well into something that has such a cheap ending? I can deal with the 'love conquers all' scenario, but if it's done incorrectly and they make their main heroes into gods for crying out loud, it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Or as a serious kick in the pants, they just blow up the dang planet... The End. I guess my point is if you're trying to make something epic, don't ruin it by cheapening the road down.

@Clix: Yeah, I was hoping it was kind of like that. I just wish they could have fixed it. It's like I was saying though, I love the game... I just wish the second half was better, that's all. Sorry if I went a little overboard.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited February 2011
    ...Well, it's not like the second disc was intentional. They ran out of time/money. They figured a rushed second-half was better than no game at all.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Got my Myth soundtrack today! Listening to it as we speak. Words cannot describe how freaking sexy it is. So epic, SUCH GREAT MUSIC!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    BleuVII said:
    You know... I found a preview book for Xenogears in a used book store a couple of months ago (in Japan), and it includes origami instructions for Weltall. Is anyone interested?

*Raises hand while jumping up and down*

I likes me some folded paper models.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Made my order just now. For those interested, here are links to retailers:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SQEX-10230
    http://www.yesasia.com/global/myth-the-xenogears-orchestral-album-japan-version/1023904341-0-0-0-en/info.html
    http://otaku.be/products/31163
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004GJ33B4/?tag=vgmdb-22

And I'm sure Square will release on iTunes in the future, but don't quote me on that.

I'll also take a moment to plug my other purchases: Tactics Ogre PSP soundtrack (the entire score was re-arranged with high quality samples and even some live performances); and Shining Hearts OST which is the first full-length RPG score from legendary Secret of Mana composer Hiroki Kikuta since Seiken Densetsu 3. As much as I love Xenogears' music and orchestras, I'm actually most excited for the Shining Hearts OST.
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the Xeno franchise (a loose franchise) is the very epitome of development hell. Xenogears had its second disc. Xenosaga had its second game. Xenoblade may or may not ever get released to English audiences, despite rave reviews in Japan. Xenosaga: Pied Piper had one of the best storylines I've ever seen in a video game, but it was released for Japanese cell phones and forgotten in a couple of years. I've tried to track that game down (even going into the Softbank/Vodafone offices and asking about it), but it has dropped off the map, and because Monolithsoft is now owned by Nintendo instead of Namco, it will likely never be remade or rereleased. Xenosaga I&II (DS game) and Xenosaga: A Missing Year have gotten similar treatment. A lot of times we fans are just left with our imaginations about what it COULD have been.

Anyway, HERE IS THE WELTALL PAPER CRAFT SCANS:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?i116nljhjj2x9bv
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Actually, I checked, and MYTH just got put on iTunes. Sweet. The Tactics Ogre soundtrack has actually been there since November. (no Shining Hearts, though)
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    BleuVII said:
    Anyway, HERE IS THE WELTALL PAPER CRAFT SCANS:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?i116nljhjj2x9bv

Ah, so it's the cut and glue kind of papercraft, not the folded single sheet with no/minimal cuts origami. Oh well, it's still awesome.