If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - Interview

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited February 2011 in Latest Updates
Strap in, XSEED is here to keep you abreast of the latest information about Trails in the Sky and to share other Falcom tidbits. If you're curious just what all the excitement is all about, we've got it here along with new screens.

Interview
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Good interview, although the bit about the additional chapters has me worried. Not only do I have to worry about whether or not parts 2 & 3 get localized, but I also have to worry about whether or not they'll be available on the PSN? Bleh.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Well, the Japanese versions didn't go up on the PSN, but I'm pretty sure XSEED has stated that they intend to get the English release up there. If part 1 makes it, I don't see why parts 2 & 3 wouldn't.

Not that it bothers my good old PSP-2000 any; I'll still be buying the UMDs. XSEED has quickly become one of my favorite publishers.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2011
    The only reason Falcom had issues with #2 is that it's two UMDs. Not sure if that was a Sony "we dunno how" issue or a Sony "you have to pay us more" issue.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, I thought I had heard that part 1 was 2 UMDs also, but I just checked and apparently it's not. Well, hopefully they'll figure out a way to make things work.
  • AirikAirik Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I didn't even notice TitS until it was mentioned.

Now I'm not sure how I missed it.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Waaaaait, MARCH? How the heck did I miss THAT!
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited February 2011
    I'd like to see Gaijin take a shot at that untranslated text for us. :)
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Capitalism Ho! Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Still so very jealous. I really wanted to take a crack at this game myself (though that script, good lord). Can't wait for the end of March.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Tom translated it for us, in hidden text. So see if you can recognize any of the words...then have a look at the answer! I knew 2 of the words; there are 18 of them there :(

It seems like this game releases 03/29. Why does XSEED not announce their release dates?
    edited February 2011
    Ah, missed the hidden text. I've never studied Japanese, so I only know some Hirigana, and bupkis for Kanji. It really is a language I should take the time to learn. I'm great at post-translation editing though, which leads me to think that it should be labor industry rather than manual industry.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    Well, without looking at the hidden text or consulting an online dictionary, I'm pretty sure it's talking about industry or industrialization. I see words like "oribito kumiai" (crafters coming together / organizing), and other words whose pronunciation I can't guess right now but appear to be something like handcrafting / home industry.

Give me more than a moment and a decent reference book, and I could probably make 4 or 5 sentences out of that sucker.

--post hidden text check

Yup, got some parts of it. But "orbal"? I think I can guess which word that was in the Japanese text, and I'd assume it was invented to fit the context of the game.
    edited February 2011
    flamethrower said:
    It seems like this game releases 03/29. Why does XSEED not announce their release dates?
    I've always wondered this too. I think they just know know specifically and therefore don't confirm till it's right there.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WyrdwadWyrdwad Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Yup, got some parts of it. But "orbal"? I think I can guess which word that was in the Japanese text, and I'd assume it was invented to fit the context of the game.
    You are correct. Though to be very specific, it was actually Falcom who invented the term -- almost every time those kanji are written in-game, there is furigana listed above them indicating their pronunciation as オーバル.

-Tom
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    Which makes sense. For the poor translation team's sake, I hope lines like that one aren't representative of the game as a whole. That reads more like a page from a high school textbook than anything I've ever seen in a game.
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the text certainly wasn't ALL that bad. That was, ironically, taken from an in-game economics textbook.

Yes, there are in-game economics textbooks. (:

-Tom
  • CipherinthesnoWCipherinthesnoW Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Can't wait for this game, I really hope they get the other 2 titles in the series though, it would be shame if it were just this first game.
    edited February 2011
    Wyrdwad said:
    Yeah, the text certainly wasn't ALL that bad. That was, ironically, taken from an in-game economics textbook.

Yes, there are in-game economics textbooks. (:

-Tom

Don't students play games to escape things like textbooks? :p
    edited February 2011
    But... but when it's in a game, it's FUN, you see! ;) Heheheheh...

-Tom
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    flamethrower said:
    Tom translated it for us, in hidden text. So see if you can recognize any of the words...then have a look at the answer! I knew 2 of the words; there are 18 of them there :(

If 3/29 is accurate, that puts it on the same day as the new Zelda game o.O That seems like a bad idea to me.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited February 2011
    ... What Zelda game is coming out on 3/29? Every upcoming Zelda game I can find info on is still showing TBA for its release date. I assume you're referring to Skyward Sword, but it doesn't look like any release date has been announced for that game yet. Fans are theorizing it'll be announced for March, but I've seen no confirmation of that...

-Tom
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    Nice interview, enjoyed reading it :) Got the limited edition pre-ordered, probably the game I'm most looking forward to in the Feb/March period actually :D
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
    edited February 2011
    New Zelda game? Skyward Sword is not hitting in March or even the first half of the year.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    omegabyte said:
    If 3/29 is accurate, that puts it on the same day as the new Zelda game o.O That seems like a bad idea to me.
    Waitwhatwhen? I can find no official (or even unofficial) confirmation of a Skyward Sword release date.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Capitalism Ho! Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Oh, also, continuing to beat my personal drum about releasing Trails on the PC~

I like to think I've proven there's a market~

(Seriously the PC is a perfect market for this kind of game and digidistro is perfect for a niche-ish game like this that will struggle for shelf space, it really needs to happen)
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2011
    EB Games is saying March 29 for Skyward Sword, but they very well could be wrong. Probably are, even. Either way, it's still following a rather chaotic month of high-profile releases. Sales are sure to be affected.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited February 2011
    We're not too worried. As has been proven time and again, there really doesn't exist a "perfect time" to release a game. No matter what date we choose, there will ALWAYS be something else getting released that same day/week/month that threatens to dethrone it... but our games are made of stern stuff, and can persevere. ;)

Also, yeah, EB Games and GameStop both like to hazard guesses as to when various games are getting released. Until an official announcement is made, though, it's always best to ignore that. (:

-Tom
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Great interview, it's really piqued my interest in this game and bumped it up high on my list. It's so annoying, there's been such a huge gap in good releases and now I find myself overburdened with games I really want to play that come out in the span of two months (Radiant Historia, Tactics Ogre, Dissidia, TitS, and isn't Okamiden on the way too?)