If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

ESRB Hints at Lufia & Parasite Eve on Consoles

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited March 2011 in Latest Updates
What do Parasite Eve and Lufia share? They're both RPGs, they're both expensive on eBay, and they're both bound for release in virtual form soon.

Story.

Comments

  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    If at first you don't succeed at "re-imagining" a series, try try again by just porting the original games instead.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    I want... correction... need to get Lufia 1 when it comes out on the Virtual Console. It is the game I have wanted to get on the Virtual Console ever since I first heard about the service. If there is one SNES game I regret never seeing through to the end, it is Lufia and the Fortress of Doom.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I'd honestly rather have Lufia on the PSN, but I guess PE is a good sub.

    Not that it matters, I have the games and the means to play them already. Man, I miss SNES cart design, those things were cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Nice to see Lufia on the way, wasn't expecting that to ever show up here.
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Hmmm... I already have PE 1... I want 2. Although, I guess it would be nice to have a digi-copy of it instead of using my ancient discs. Hopefully if they have any sense, they'll have them both out before PE 3 comes. But I know they won't... ~_~
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Lufia CAN'T be on PSN. It was an SNES title before anything else... And the remake was done (BADLY I might add) for the DS, and NOT the PSP. Had it been Sony who had decided to do the reboot, it might have actually been saved, but sadly they chose the DS instead. Then everything went to hell... -_- I'm not saying the DS CAN'T handle remakes well, it's just the idea that they went SOOOO wrong with the remake for Lufia that it hurts to mention that it was ONCE a GOOD game. And this was a remake of the second game so... I don't know much about them but if they try to do the ORIGINAL Lufia and remade it, I'd strongly HOPE they don't try to change what Lufia was into an Action RPG, which it wasn't. Some things just SHOULDN'T be done. And just thinking about how great the DQ remakes are and then seeing Lufia II get turned into... whatever the heck that poor thing was is just plain sad.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Damn... I was hoping that they where going to be new console iterations!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

    "A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • GrayWolf323GrayWolf323 Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    just give us Suikoden II already
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    reionpremente said:
    Lufia CAN'T be on PSN. It was an SNES title before anything else... And the remake was done (BADLY I might add) for the DS, and NOT the PSP. Had it been Sony who had decided to do the reboot, it might have actually been saved, but sadly they chose the DS instead. Then everything went to hell... -_- I'm not saying the DS CAN'T handle remakes well, it's just the idea that they went SOOOO wrong with the remake for Lufia that it hurts to mention that it was ONCE a GOOD game. And this was a remake of the second game so... I don't know much about them but if they try to do the ORIGINAL Lufia and remade it, I'd strongly HOPE they don't try to change what Lufia was into an Action RPG, which it wasn't. Some things just SHOULDN'T be done. And just thinking about how great the DQ remakes are and then seeing Lufia II get turned into... whatever the heck that poor thing was is just plain sad.

    Well, nothing's stopping SE from publising the old games on PSN, as it's a 3rd party game. The most they'd have to do, likely, is change button prompts, and that's assuming there were any illustrations of the controller, which I don't think there were.

    Actually, one of the two Capcom Classics Collections (I forget which) had the SNES game "Super Ghouls and Ghosts, which was pretty awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Lufia isn't on VC already? Heh.

    Parasite Eve never looked like my cup of tea, but it's Square-Enix so who knows. Last time I checked a used PS1 copy wasn't that expensive tho.

    And yeah, Suikoden 2 on PSN - this should be top priority for Konami. Possibly the best story told in any game but with such a short print-run, few people have had the chance to play this game and it's just a tragedy that makes the holocaust pale in comparison (for me anyway).
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure why it's not up there yet. Suikoden was one of the first PSOne games to show up on PSN, if I remember right. It's been YEARS since I bought it on the network, II should be out by now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    It's not even on the Japanese PSN, so it may be something on Konami's end, or they're just not releasing it on there for some reason.
    Sure, prices on copies of the actual game will probably go down, but it's a way for Konami to make more money on a masterpiece of a game.
    image
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Suikoden II was one of the best games on the PS1, but it also had a terrible localization and was awfully buggy. If I was Konami, I'd be embarrassed to re-release it in its current state... and they're not going to redo the translation for a PSN release.

    And that's why I assume it hasn't been re-released yet.
  • ZbornakZbornak Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    According to this, Parasite Eve will be out Tuesday 3/15. It would be great it Lufia comes out this week too.
    image
    Get your Portable ID!
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Minneyar said:
    Suikoden II was one of the best games on the PS1, but it also had a terrible localization and was awfully buggy. If I was Konami, I'd be embarrassed to re-release it in its current state... and they're not going to redo the translation for a PSN release.

    And that's why I assume it hasn't been re-released yet.

    But the first one was even less polished. I simply think no one has taken the initiative to release it yet, but if people keep on bleating someone might.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Spartakus said:
    But the first one was even less polished. I simply think no one has taken the initiative to release it yet, but if people keep on bleating someone might.

    I... honestly don't see how somebody could say that. I played through Suikoden 1 & 2 again around a year ago, and Suikoden 1's translation was markedly better than 2's. S1's script was pretty average by early-PSX standards. S2 is filled with grammatical errors and awkward phrasing, not to mention wild abuses of punctuation (just count how many exclamation marks are in the first few scenes). There are also several known game-crashing or freezing bugs and a few songs that don't play properly. There are a handful of lines of text in the game that aren't even translated and just show up as garbage characters. There's also the McDohl naming glitch, and occasionally the characters refer to "Joei" instead of "Jowy." S2 has easily one of the worst localizations I've ever seen in an RPG, right up there with Wild Arms 2 and Ar Tonelico 2... (what's up with sequels getting bad translations, anyway?)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    S2 has easily one of the worst localizations I've ever seen in an RPG
    Go play Divinity 2 and Kingdom Under Fire 2 THEN tell me about grammar errors and bugs...Suikoden 2 will seem flawless compared to those games.

    Dunno why some developers struggle more with sequels than others. You can reasonably expect a sequel to improve on the original game in many ways, but sometimes a publisher is just looking for an easy buck and will expect fanboys to ignore the lack of polish. Whatever the reason, you can do far worse than Suikoden 2.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Minneyar said:
    I... honestly don't see how somebody could say that. I played through Suikoden 1 & 2 again around a year ago, and Suikoden 1's translation was markedly better than 2's. S1's script was pretty average by early-PSX standards. S2 is filled with grammatical errors and awkward phrasing, not to mention wild abuses of punctuation (just count how many exclamation marks are in the first few scenes). There are also several known game-crashing or freezing bugs and a few songs that don't play properly. There are a handful of lines of text in the game that aren't even translated and just show up as garbage characters. There's also the McDohl naming glitch, and occasionally the characters refer to "Joei" instead of "Jowy." S2 has easily one of the worst localizations I've ever seen in an RPG, right up there with Wild Arms 2 and Ar Tonelico 2... (what's up with sequels getting bad translations, anyway?)

    Speaking of Wild Arms 2...I'm still waiting for a remake. Wild Arms 1 got one, so why not 2?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Minneyar said:
    I... honestly don't see how somebody could say that. I played through Suikoden 1 & 2 again around a year ago, and Suikoden 1's translation was markedly better than 2's. S1's script was pretty average by early-PSX standards. S2 is filled with grammatical errors and awkward phrasing, not to mention wild abuses of punctuation (just count how many exclamation marks are in the first few scenes). There are also several known game-crashing or freezing bugs and a few songs that don't play properly. There are a handful of lines of text in the game that aren't even translated and just show up as garbage characters. There's also the McDohl naming glitch, and occasionally the characters refer to "Joei" instead of "Jowy." S2 has easily one of the worst localizations I've ever seen in an RPG, right up there with Wild Arms 2 and Ar Tonelico 2... (what's up with sequels getting bad translations, anyway?)
    My copies have been collecting dust for years so I don't remember the localizations in detail, I just recall an overall impression of S1 having less polish. In particular I remember all the copies I tried had this flimmering on top or bottom of the screen, but Idk if that was the case with the American edition or if it's on the PSN release.

    If the fans have a choice between a bad translation and no game at all, I think it's an easy one to make. Fan translations should be no impossibility either.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux
Sign In or Register to comment.