If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 40 - Have Gun, Will Travel by Dragon

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited April 2014 in Latest Updates
In its last rush of games for the Saturn, Sega's localizers put forth a title that has seen its value rise to a stratospheric level. We discuss its many merits, in an effort to help explain why acquiring the game may well be worth the eBay price.
Abbreviated: PDS.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• jcservantjcservant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    After listening to you guys talk about it, I almost wish I had a Saturn. This is definitely one game that needs to be on one of the re-releases. Maybe have hope. I'm seeing Dreamcast games being release on Steam!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2011
    jcservant said:
    I'm seeing Dreamcast games being release on Steam!
    After watching Sega constantly repackage all their Genesis hits for every platform known to man, I'm really hoping they'll do the same with the Dreamcast. To be honest, the opening salvo I found to be a little lackluster :\
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I'm still surprised that the first Marvel vs. Capcom and Capcom vs. SNK games haven't received any ports off of the Dreamcast.
  • KisakiProjectKisakiProject Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I love backtrack and can't wait to listen to this. I finally got a Saturn again last Dec. I plan on getting PDS soon but I don't wanna listen to this until after I play it. This is one expierence I don't want spoiled. I'm bidding on one right now but don't intend to get until may unless I can't get for a great price. Lol "great price" is sub 200.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    KisakiProject said:
    I love backtrack and can't wait to listen to this. I finally got a Saturn again last Dec. I plan on getting PDS soon but I don't wanna listen to this until after I play it. This is one expierence I don't want spoiled. I'm bidding on one right now but don't intend to get until may unless I can't get for a great price. Lol "great price" is sub 200.

Best of luck with that, that's going to be tough to do.
    edited March 2011
    Kisaki, I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast!! We love to hear from people. And, I think you'll really enjoy the skit on this show. Good luck on the 'good price' part though...that's a TOUGH game to get.
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. If I can't get it for sub $200 by may around my b-day I'm willing to go all out. I think the average I see it go for is $230. Given how much I love Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei, Orta & 32 but Jrpgs it seems worth it to me. I figure worse case scenario I beat it and its not as great as I was expecting. You can always sell it back. The price doesn't depreciate. I got this episode bookmarked for when I finally get it.
    edited March 2011
    Just make sure if you sell it back you do so before they release a PSN or Steam emulation or something. That would stink if they did that right before you tried to sell it. I remember getting rid of PS2 Marvel Vs Capcom 2 before it came on PSN. Got about $80. Now it's worth about half.
  • XR2XR2 Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    If they were going to start releasing Saturn games on modern platforms, I would expect that they would start with Night into Dreams, or something more popular and accessible than PDS. That way there is some warning.

I wouldn't argue with a rerelease of PDS, even though I was lucky enough to buy it off the shelf new, and still have a copy. It just means that more people get to play it, which is a good thing.
    edited March 2011
    One notable characteristic of this game that I don't think received enough attention is just how cohesive the world is. In most RPGs, there are so many things out of place that we hardly notice. Everything from enemies that make no sense, or are out of place (monster motorcycles?, giant dragons in tiny caves) and cities or other grand structures that just don't fit.
    edited March 2011
    XR2 said:
    One notable characteristic of this game that I don't think received enough attention is just how cohesive the world is. In most RPGs, there are so many things out of place that we hardly notice. Everything from enemies that make no sense, or are out of place (monster motorcycles?, giant dragons in tiny caves) and cities or other grand structures that just don't fit.

That's a fair point. In PDS the enemies make look strange, but they fit the environment you fight them in. I think, like we discussed on the show, a lot of what is great about this game comes from the fact that the development team was used to creating games for other genres.
    edited March 2011
    Its nearly impossible to emulate Saturn. So I seriously doubt that would ever happen. Also per Sega the original source code for this game is lost.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    KisakiProject said:
    Its nearly impossible to emulate Saturn. So I seriously doubt that would ever happen. Also per Sega the original source code for this game is lost.

Except that there is a quite functional emulator out there already. And if *fans* can do it, then the company who made the bloody thing certainly can. And even if they lost their original source code files, they can still take the full game and reverse engineer them

So it's entirely feasible to do, but they're unlikely to want to put forth the effort. Which is a shame, really.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Doesn't that emulator require a modern gaming PC to run without stuttering like mad?

Good show, gents. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to hold off until the inevitable re-release since I'm allergic to paying more than $60 for games.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
    edited March 2011
    I share your affliction, Shaymin.
    edited March 2011
    Think of the net cost to play PDS. If you don't have a Saturn, then you have the cost of the system + the cost of the game + shipping - price of selling the game (assuming you can bring yourself to sell it). Assuming no price shock between when you buy and sell the game, the actual price of the game isn't that relevant, since it can be reclaimed.
    edited March 2011
    I'm an accountant. And that side of my brain tells me that your logic is flawless, XR2. Yet, the other side of the brain causes my hand to freeze every time I reach for the wallet. It's an affliction I tell ya!!!
    edited March 2011
    I think what I should do is build a small business by renting out rare RPGs. Gamefly, but with better disc protection. Would you pay $15 / month to have access to a collection of rare RPGs on a rental basis?
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited March 2011
    What Saturn games has Sega ever acknowledged the existence of since the system's death? The company seems to do its best to ignore the system's existence, or else a lot of other titles that are exclusive to it would have seen the light of day elsewhere. Barring a radical rethinking by Sega's executives, don't expect the poor maligned Saturn to receive any more attention than it currently does. The last spark of interest was with a couple of the Sega Ages games, and that was back in the PS2's heyday.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs A Familiar Teacher Administrators
    edited March 2011
    Sounds like quite the interesting game. I doubt I'll ever get the chance to play it, but who knows?

I recall a former co-worker of mine saying he had the game. Or maybe that was a friend of his? *scratches head*
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • otakudensetsuotakudensetsu Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2011
    i'll just clarify what i meant about suikoden ds being too slow. it was the random encounters, there were just too many. ans as for suikoden 4, i just liked getting the characters and sailing around with my 3 parties switching them out as needed. and suikoden tactics is awesome, go back and play it, do the side quests and collect the characters, good stuff. also i am not that guy you think i am, i am me. and me too.

as for this podcast, i'll just say i missed out on the saturn all together because i was a squaresoft follower and i went with them to ps1. the n64 was a huge letdown for me, i own 4 or 5 games for that system, nothing memorable. grandia and lunar came out on ps1 so i got the best stuff from the saturn anyway. i just want to mention the dreamcast for a moment, it should have been backward compatible. sega would have sold more saturn games if they did that and i may have gotten panzer dragoon saga as a result.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    The saturn was long dead and burried, at least in the US by the time we got the dreamcast. Their goal with the dreamcast was t o try and make a fresh start. I wouldn't have argued with backward compatibility, but I understand why they didn't.

I played suikoden IV twice (new game + is always a nice feature), but it needed a little more time in the oven. I only got about half way through tactics, and I haven't played V or the DS game yet, though I have them waiting on the shelf. Unfortunately, neither make my list of backlog games that I must play this year.
    edited March 2011
    XR2 said:
    Unfortunately, neither make my list of backlog games that I must play this year.
    suikoden tactics should bump out any tactical rpg in your backlog. the game doesn't require grinding unless you want to use the killable characters, i suggest grinding killable characters so you can avoid losing them; but do that on your second play through. on your first play through just use non killable characters and fight tooth and nail in the later battles, the enemies will knock out under leveled characters but as long as your main character is able to deliver the finishing blow you'll do alright. and the final battle in suikoden tactics is an epic event, you'll just have to play it to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    I created a list of over 50 notable games that I have and polled a bunch of friends to arrive at a list of 5: Zelda: Minish Cap, Silent Hill 2, Vagrant Story, Earthbound, and Shadow of the Colossus. There are many other awesome games on the list that didn't make the cut, such as any Fallout game, any Infinity Engine game, etc. Always next year.
    edited March 2011
    okay so you should be done beating that list by april 15. at least that's how long it would take me to beat those games. silent hill 2 and shadow of the colossus should take a half a day each so get em beat on saturday. earthbound should take 3 hours a day for 10 days. vagrant story i really can't say because you'll probably die a lot and have to redo everything you just did including weapon crafting, that can get irritating. and minish cap maybe 2 days unless you die a lot in that too, then i'd say 4 days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    Sadly, I'm currently taking 17 credits and working 20-30 hours per week, so my available gaming hours are much closer to 0. I managed to get about halfway through Minish Cap over spring break, but probably won't get to finish it until the semester ends.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Well, thankfully Saturn emulation is far enough along that the game can be played that way. Not the most kosher way, and I'd love to buy it legit, but for lack of any real way to buy it, there's no alternative. I'm actually FLOORED that Sega hasn't put this on PSN, Steam or XBL. It'd make some money, no doubt.

Then again, we still haven't gotten Suikoden II from Konami, so I shouldn't be surprised that a far LESS competent company to leave money on the table.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited March 2011
    MasterChief said:
    Well, thankfully Saturn emulation is far enough along that the game can be played that way. Not the most kosher way, and I'd love to buy it legit, but for lack of any real way to buy it, there's no alternative. I'm actually FLOORED that Sega hasn't put this on PSN, Steam or XBL. It'd make some money, no doubt.

Then again, we still haven't gotten Suikoden II from Konami, so I shouldn't be surprised that a far LESS competent company to leave money on the table.

Here's the thing- marketed right I think it could be a big title for Sega (talking about a remake), strange it may be, but it's a far more accessible RPG than a lot of games. Plus it has dragons. Everyone loves dragons!
  • mjafyxmjafyx New Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Sonic R is in the Sonic gems collection but it might be a port of the pc version.
  • WibblefishWibblefish Robot Ninja Zombie Pirate Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I love listening to every episode of the Backtrack. I've wanted to play Panzer Dragoon Saga for years now, but couldn't bring myself to stump up the cash. Perhaps one day soon.

I just wanted to make a request if I may (sorry if this is the wrong place for this)? Would you consider doing a future Backtrack on the Wild Arms series? With 5 games in the main series, a PS2 remake of the original and a tactical PSP spin off there would be plenty to talk about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]