If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 170: "Smugleafs in the Library"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited April 2011 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 170: "Smugleafs in the Library"

Diablo with body parts, iOS ports of bad games, and cool video game auctions make up the brunt of today's show. Random Encounters is back too, rounding out the week's festivities.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/170

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Smugleafs in the Library"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Comments

• PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    The description alone makes me sad I missed this week.
  • otakudensetsuotakudensetsu Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2011
    i have to say that the ps2 generation of consoles were the best. the graphics were good, the dungeons were good. you could get a 2d turn based rpg or a 3d action rpg. that's one thing i really liked; how they were able to play around with the battle systems. final fantasy 12 and wild arms 4/5 are a good example of rpg experimentation. tales of the abyss is a battle system i'll never get tired of and has only improved in newer tales games.

my top 3 fav rpg's on ps2 are: dark cloud 2, radiata stories and shining force exa. one had random dungeons one had no dungeons (except for a final dungeon and optional dungeon) and one had massive dungeon fields loaded with enemies. so to say i prefered turn based rpg's of the 90's would be incorrect, i obviously like being able to smash and bash the crap out of enemies and collect my experience.

there were some good classic rpg's on the ps2 as well: persona 3&4, gust games and xenosaga 1-3. the ps2 had it all, but there are still good rpg's on todays consoles, like star ocean 4, tales of vesperia, the last remnant and magna carta 2 that have exploration and side quests. then there are some rpg's that are all graphics and a different battle system with no exploration, like resonance of fate and ff13. i think the amount of time a game spends in development is the same so the devs work mostly on graphics and then try to fit everything else in.

in closing i'll add that strategy rpg's should be unaffected by modern technicalities, so maybe we'll see some quality in that category. also, the wii should have more rpg's, why have the last 3 nintendo home consoles had very few full fledged rpgs?

btw, i've never played a western rpg and i don't want to either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited March 2011
    What RPGs lack today is the passion of the creators and a bit of classiness. There's no more over-dramatic scenes where a character dies and the other suffers deeply and wants revenge then they punch the villain breaking several wall behind him. Or the hero bleeding to death and still walking leaving a trail of bloods and then... You know a exiting story that keep you hooked, game play mechanics that are not over complicated and yet entertaining and a touching OST.

BTW You did great for a very slow week.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited March 2011
    That part about CNN saying the 3DS wasn't as powerful as the PS3 is actually real.
    Face, meet palm.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    My favorite part is that he keeps comparing it to the iPhone and iPod. Also, lol at the "we haven't seen a stylus since the Palms in the early 2000's"

Though, I'm not sure why you're lolling at the not as powerful as the PS3 statement, unless it's just because he's comparing it to a console....
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2011
    *Laughs* See, this is why you should never ever ever get your video game information from the mainstream.

And the 3DS'll do just fine, mainly because it's going to have better software, at the very least Nintendo will make sure to make some good stuff for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited March 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    My favorite part is that he keeps comparing it to the iPhone and iPod. Also, lol at the "we haven't seen a stylus since the Palms in the early 2000's"

Though, I'm not sure why you're lolling at the not as powerful as the PS3 statement, unless it's just because he's comparing it to a console....

Quin said it best on the show - "No *censored*, sherlock".
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
    edited March 2011
    Seriously. Amazing that five years and change after the Wii and people still haven't figured out that Nintendo's not following the tech industry trends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    Shaymin said:

Ahkay. I've downloaded the show but haven't listened to it yet, so I didn't get to hear his reaction.

Really, what the heck is he doing reviewing video game tech at all? I also loved the "I'm a hardcore gamer, I grew up on Halo." Nothing against Halo but....yeah.....
    edited March 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    Ahkay. I've downloaded the show but haven't listened to it yet, so I didn't get to hear his reaction.

Really, what the heck is he doing reviewing video game tech at all? I also loved the "I'm a hardcore gamer, I grew up on Halo." Nothing against Halo but....yeah.....

Just goes to show how old we all are. *Laughs* Mine was a 2600 and later NES household.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    The best thing about the podcast is that it reminded me that I don't have SD Gundam G Generation World. Poop. I focused so much on catching up with my fighters that I neglected my mech strategy games.
    edited March 2011
    I wonder where the phrase "It looks like pants!" comes from ot it was "It state like pants" IDK.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:

Yeah, that guy is terrible. I have seen a few other vids by him. The most entreating thing to me about that video is that he keeps comparing it to the gameboy, almost like he has never heard of the Nintendo DS in the first place.

In another video he said it was ridiculous that popcap was charging $20 dollars for Bewjeled 3 on macs and PCs when you could buy a 4 year old slimed down version for a dollar on the iPhone. Its like he has now concept that brand new games for PCS/Macs that take a lot of work and development cost more than games that are several years old and greatly slimmed down to work on a phone. LINK

He is so bad at this. His voice and demeanor are really annoying.
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    I wonder where the phrase "It looks like pants!" comes from ot it was "It state like pants" IDK.

it's from kirby's epic yarn. when kirby first steps into the yarn world, he says, "it feels like pants!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    Shaymin said:

Yeah, guess who forgot the 'No Swearing' rule. Did Chris bleep that one? I was hoping to get away with this.
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    The best thing about the podcast is that it reminded me that I don't have SD Gundam G Generation World. Poop. I focused so much on catching up with my fighters that I neglected my mech strategy games.

Go buy nao!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited March 2011
    On "Highwind" in Final Fantasy:

The name originates note in FFIV but in FFII. While FFII did not feature the signature move Jump, the character Ricard Highwind (spelled Richard in Japan; damn five-letter restrictions) is called a dragoon by the game's storyline. In the GBA version and on, a previously nameless boy he vows to protect is named Kain. Speaking of which, in FFIV DS, brings this full circle since Kain mentions his previously unnamed father: Richard.

The name shows up a third time in FFV. Lenna's
    Spoiler:
    and Faris's
    father is King Alexander Highwind Tycoon. While he is never confirmed as a dragoon, he has dragon themes in his art and he has a wind drake.

Sadly, after Cid Highwind, the name stopped being used for characters... Instead, dragoons began receiving unique surnames: Ward Zabac, Freya Crescent, Kimahri Ronso, Shikaree Z (among other, minor characters in Vana'diel) and Oerba Dia Fang. ...I want a new Highwind.
    edited March 2011
    noodle said:
    it's from kirby's epic yarn. when kirby first steps into the yarn world, he says, "it feels like pants!"
    Oh I see.. Never played Epic's Yarn yet. Did you was a little nervous during the cast?
    edited March 2011
    Clix said:
    On "Highwind" in Final Fantasy:

Sadly, after Cid Highwind, the name stopped being used for characters... Instead, dragoons began receiving unique surnames: Ward Zabac, Freya Crescent, Kimahri Ronso, Shikaree Z (among other, minor characters in Vana'diel) and Oerba Dia Fang. ...I want a new Highwind.
    you can be a dragoon and name yourself clix highwind in ff14 can't you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    Oh I see.. Never played Epic's Yarn yet. Did you was a little nervous during the cast?

did you was a little nervous? are you asking if i was nervous during the cast? if so, then.. no. i've been on the cast lots of times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    noodle said:
    did you was a little nervous? are you asking if i was nervous during the cast? if so, then.. no. i've been on the cast lots of times.
    I see everything was according to script anyway you 3 did well for a little slower week and you participated more. Well see you all next week and beware of robotic unicorns.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2011
    I wish I was on this show to defend Legend of Mana.
    edited March 2011
    Wheels said:
    I wish I was on this show to defend Legend of Mana.

We can't always have nice things. I would talk about giant robots. A lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited March 2011
    i'm guessing next episode is going to be all 3ds talk?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    You'll get nowt from me, not getting a 3DS just yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Quin said:
    You'll get nowt from me, not getting a 3DS just yet.

gotta say I have no interest in the system at all. Though i'll have to get one when they stop making games for the current ds systems or i'll miss alot of rpgs.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    edited March 2011
    VonBeardly said:
    gotta say I have no interest in the system at all. Though i'll have to get one when they stop making games for the current ds systems or i'll miss alot of rpgs.

after watching some videos on youtube i want the system now. i'll wait until the second model like i did with the gba, ds and psp. and by that time there should be some good rpgs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    I wonder who will have the most RPGs 3DS or NGP. BTW the staff of the cast have very good head sets as no noise from the outside was heard. Everything sounds so clean like you where in a true recording studio or something. What headsets do you people use? I want to know.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    It's not an exciting system, but when it has all the new games, we'll all get it. I want one for ToA, Paper Mario, and Ocarina alone. I'm definitely waiting for the 3DS lite though lol
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
    edited March 2011
    what's 3d going to add to rpgs? the enemies will appear further away from your party... a projectile attack will appear to get further away... it's gotta be used to enhance cut scenes. what do all rpgamers want in their pocket adventures? the ngp offers unique controls and the ability to play your ps3 games on the go, what that adds to game play to me isn't as exciting as 3d cut scenes with good graphics. i think 3ds should have more rpgs than the ngp because the 3ds also has a second screen with touchcapes, that adds a less distracting in game menu system ideal for rpgs. if i was playing an rpg on ps3 and had to go, am i so into this game that i gotta bring it with me, that people gotta see me shaking my game system around so i can boost my mages attack? i don't want something strangers will be asking me if they can look at the 3d and i'm to shy to how them what Armour i've chosen for my lead female character with special attributes. i will say that the 3ds should have some kind of wrist strap because that thing is more likely something a theif would steal from me in a library than my level 59 swordmaster. do i want to be able to customize my surrounding environment into a world map and send my characters into my world. whatever the ngp can do, it can't do it in 3d.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    -First off, I liked the Random Encounters segment a lot.

-Secondly, Smugleaf couldn't have a worse singing voice--or lyrical sense--than that girl in the Friday un-music video.

-Game of Thrones RPG: Do want. Though it's funny... I got into the series because I played Dragon Age, liked the world, and a friend said "You like Dragon Age's mythology? Read this." I'm still on the first novel... I can kind of see why my friend said that, but not entirely sure how far the similarity goes beyond knights being "Ser" instead of "Sir", giant human-ripping canines, and shambling undead-type blights against nature. And I can see them being comparable in atmosphere. Game of Thrones is also going to be a series on HBO soon, by the way.

-One wrinkle in the whole "Today's RPGs: Better or Worse?" question, with the advance of graphics there seems to be a trade-off: Visually, everything takes longer to design and implement, which can lead to developers wanting to or needing to limit what else is in the game.

(This last part of my post grew and grew like a cancer until it became a wall of text taking over the bulk of my post. I didn't intend for it to be near this long! Ignore it if you want.)

I think FFXIII can be used as an example of this.* The man-hours required to create a videogame for the consoles is higher and higher as overall graphics have improved, right? You can only have so many people or so much time or so much money to work on a game, so I guess it comes down to what decisions get made.

This can be offset by increasing the overall man-hours you spend on developing a game, of course; I'm sure the average time it's taken for console games to get made and the size of the studios that make them has skyrocketed compared to olden times. Also, you can opt to do something in a style different from one approaching photo-realism and still look spiffy and not get consumed by the graphics department--I think something like Valkyria Chronicles is an example of that.

My point here is that back in the days of old FFs or Chrono Trigger or what have you, graphics were a less intensive part of the process, now they take more involvement from more people and can end up sucking up resources that might have otherwise been spent on another aspect of the game. I'm not saying that all old RPGs are masterfully told stories filled with vibrant characterization, just that if people decide to prioritize the glitz and glamor it might come at the expense of other things. People notice if a game is pretty, and that was the industry's bet for a long time.

I feel that generally RPGs are the same as ever (and I would have mentioned Sturgeon's Law if it hadn't been brought up in the discussion), but yeah, better graphics sure can't hurt. The march of technological progress does raise the stakes which can make the gems seem better and the lemons seem more sour. So it might be better to say that it's the medium of expression that's changed more than the games.

Interestingly, handhelds have provided many comparisons of new and old in close proximity. My PSP collection is equal parts new game and older-generation port, and in each category are games--that I never played before--that I adore.

*I remember reading a lot about FFXIII and what it did or didn't have and at one point reading someone say that basically they had to write-off doing typical RPG towns because they'd be spending an inordinate amount of time creating them. It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I could understand to an extent because there must come a point where designing a certain piece of Hi-Def virtual real-estate isn't worth it--say, if it's just going to be an alleyway a player is probably only going to see 3 times, or the interior of a shop that a player won't enter ever again once they discover the next town. Of course, excising towns entirely isn't the solution I would have chosen--I like towns!--but apparently FFXIII's team decided that graphics were absolutely not to be compromised: graphics/cinematics got all the take and the give had to come from things like sprawling towns and interactive NPCs.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001