If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sensai Kitsune Baka Kawaii!!! - lolJapan

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited April 2011 in Latest Updates
RPGamer's Japanese gaming news column has a new writer and a new name. Come on inside and find all the Japanese gaming news that's fit to be Googled.

[Yousei!]
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011

What the reaction to a cute catgirl may look like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Best article ever.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited April 2011
    [quote=Ocelot]...though I'm pretty sure I've never seen a *ahem* beaver girl.

Is squirrel close enough?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Oh look, my brain slid out my ears again.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • otakudensetsuotakudensetsu Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2011
    woot! suikoden fangirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    otakudensetsu said:
    woot! suikoden fangirl!

Suikoden AND BioWare fangirl.
  • otakudensetsuotakudensetsu Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:
    BioWare fangirl.

everyone has their faults
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    I gotta get me some of those Monster Hunter boxer shorts. Those are just awesome.. and stylish!
  • MegaloSaroMegaloSaro Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    booo. I for one like Vaan.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Maybe I should take that as a challenge and draw a SEXY beaver-girl or goose-girl.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited April 2011
    Well said, Wheels, well said!

I, for one, welcome our new Japand-erm, lolJapan columnist, Ocelot!
    Reincarnation, realization
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Yay! Time to retire for good!

(I really wish I'd seen those MH boxers before, though. Would've made a great funny bit for a column)
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Imagine, if you will, a world wherein the avian pack animals imagined for Final Fantasy were called Horsebirds from their inception...

Samba de Horsebird, Mambo de Horsebird, etc.
    Horsebird's Dungeon
    Fat Horsebird
    Horsebird Hot & Cold

It would be a sadder world.

P.S. ...would a baby Horsebird be a Foalchick?
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I vote the column be renamed Japanderpwnium.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Sayonara, Gaijin. You will be missed.
    :tounge:
    ---
    Here's a funny RPG gag I liked.

*The Japanese publisher decided to cook up Super Monkey Cube, "a real-time turn-based RPG with action elements." The game's description summarizes its gameplay thusly: "Take turns, read long story arcs, level up with confusingly intricate menus, discover a flat world unlike any other, and solve the whereabouts of the Golden Banana!"
    edited April 2011
    GaijinMonogatari said:
    Yay! Time to retire for good!

(I really wish I'd seen those MH boxers before, though. Would've made a great funny bit for a column)
    No way, Jose. This was a lot of work! I'm way too lazy to do it on a weekly basis. :)
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I still don't get the hate over 馬鳥 as kanji for Chocobo. All you have to do is add in furigana on top that says チョコボ, and everyone is happy.

Oh sorry... that was an intelligent comment. :P

*ahem*

Horsebirds for the win! I especially like them with teriyaki sauce!
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited April 2011
    BleuVII said:
    I prefer fried myself.
  • MegaloSaroMegaloSaro Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    BleuVII said:
    I still don't get the hate over 馬鳥 as kanji for Chocobo. All you have to do is add in furigana on top that says チョコボ, and everyone is happy.

Oh sorry... that was an intelligent comment. :P

*ahem*

That isn't what Furigana is for. Furigana is used to show you how to read the characters, and in no situation is that how those two characters read.
    edited April 2011
    MegaloSaro said:
    That isn't what Furigana is for. Furigana is used to show you how to read the characters, and in no situation is that how those two characters read.

Furigana is used like that, though.

For example, in Tales of Graces F, "煇石" is always furigana'd as "クリアス" (Krias), and "大煇石" as "バルキネスクリアス" (Balkines Krias), probably due to 煇 being either archaic or a Chinese-only character.

EDIT: I looked up 煇 and based on the Kun reading ひかり, I'm assuming that it's an old form of "光" (light/shine). This means that Krias, as used in ToGF, is just a fancier way of saying "Light stone".

If you follow the Tales series, you will probably note the use of invented words to explain world concepts ("Blastia" in Vesperia, for example). These are usually written in kanji to explain what they are, like 始祖の隷長 (shiso no reicho) meaning "Lead servants of the originator", but given furigana to make new words, so 始祖の隷長 becomes エンテレケイア. When the game is translated, the pronounced word is used, so エンテレケイア becomes "Entelexeia", and the meaning of the word is completely lost in translation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Quin said:
    Furigana is used like that, though.

Thank you. I was in the middle of typing up a similar response when I realized you had already done so on the next page. It's also used a lot in manga for when characters are speaking in German or Latin. The Japanese meaning is written in kanji, and the furigana transcribes the foreign language.
    edited April 2011
    It was a really boring lecture and I needed to do something to pass the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    This discussion is far too informative for lolJapan, you guys. :-p
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:

Refer to my previous statement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:

My apologies! Did you know that in Japan, the 80's never died? I mean, LOL, what's with that?!
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Suikoden AND BioWare fangirl.
    Now there's a testament to good taste if there ever was one! Suikoden 1 and 2 are among the best - possibly the best - JRPGs ever made IMO. Shame about the undeservedly short print runs though. At least Bioware are getting the commercial success they deserve.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux
    edited April 2011
    Indeed, it's possible to enjoy both JRPGs and WRPGs. Not that that stops me from mocking the silly parts of both kinds of RPGs. :)
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I get odd looks when people hear I enjoy and at the same time make fun of both kinds of RPGs. Why do we have to pick one or the other?! The best is when you are criticizing both equally in a public discussion and someone only sees you attacking the one they like most and accuse you of bias or not having played them. :3
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited April 2011
    It's uncanny. I frequent a lot of different subculture communities but for some reason gamers have an unparallelled fanatical devotion to their likes and dislikes. I've never taken as much heat for preferring Alexandre Dumas over Charles Dickens as I have for preferring Final Fantasy over Baldur's Gate. At some point people - some people, at least - forget that gaming is about having a good time and not about being an ***. I suppose it mostly has to do with the fact that games have a wide audience and the level of maturity will vary a great deal. I'm not making this an age thing though as you find just as many levelheaded teenage gamers as you find guys in their 30s who are completely anal about their fandom.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux