If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dungeon Siege III Delayed Until June

Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The BemusedAdministrators
edited April 2011 in Latest Updates
Were you looking forward to playing Dungeon Siege III in nearly two months time? We hate to break it to you, but you'll have to wait a month longer than that.

Story
" I think this is why aging makes humans die! "

Comments

• RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited April 2011
    But I want it now, make it happen Obsidian
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Huh. A 3 week delay is kinda odd, although April/May are turning into a massive pileup of releases this year. So that might be part of it in addition to polishing. Either that or they're trying to prop up their second quarter of the new fiscal year. Does this fall into the same fiscal quarter as Human Revolution?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I dont't think so.

Fiscal quarter 1 April-June
    Fiscal quarter 2 July-September

A delay could be smart. Games released in May:
    The Witcher 2
    Hunted: The Demon's Forge
    L.A. Noire
    edited April 2011
    It's funny how everyone is avoiding releasing around LA Noire like the plague. Also, isn't June/July when Old Republic is expected to launch?
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Not sure, but I don't know if DS3 and and SW:TOR are fighting for the same customers.

The reason people try to avoid the LAN release is because Red Dead Redemption destroyed everything saleswise last year. I guess they don't want that to happen this year.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited April 2011
    There is no way The Old Republic will hit in Summer. I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that it will be closer to Nov.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited April 2011
    Macstorm said:
    There is no way The Old Republic will hit in Summer. I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that it will be closer to Nov.

Two problems with that. 1) Conflict with ME3's holiday launch. 2) Blizzard will likely have another WoW expansion announced by then.

If they're going to launch Old Republic at an opportune time they're going to want to do it when they have internal resources available to focus on it (crunching on ME3 isn't a good time) and especially not when Blizzard is prepping the WoW Signal to make everyone's branding glow indicating it's time to report back to the mothership for another $40 tribute.

There's also the fact that EA's marketing branch is going to have their hands full with Battlefield 3 if that launches at the holidays against the next CoD installment. I don't think it's EA PR's best interest to be tripping over themselves with a slate of high profile games come the holidays. There's only so many commercial slots available in a day.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    The last word I've read on the issue is that The Old Republic will be released in September, but moving the game out of ME3's launch window is a reasonable assumption.
    If they're going to launch Old Republic at an opportune time they're going to want to do it when they have internal resources available to focus on it (crunching on ME3 isn't a good time) and especially not when Blizzard is prepping the WoW Signal to make everyone's branding glow indicating it's time to report back to the mothership for another $40 tribute.
    Heh...

Well, there's quite a bit of time between those expansions, plus a lot of people told me they're tired of WoW and wish to move on to The Old Republic, so I don't think it's so simple this time around. Yeah, I wouldn't bet against WoW either, but I think EA is betting on gamers being tired of WoW at this point and I can't say they're making a mistake. Heck, I didn't buy Cataclysm. The mothership can call all it wants.
    It's funny how everyone is avoiding releasing around LA Noire like the plague.
    No kidding. I guess everyone thinks it's gonna be a quasi-GTA sequel, but from what I've seen so far, the sleuthing elements strike me as being...off in a way. I'm sure the game will be fine, but it's not a proven property yet.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I doubt Obdidian is worried about TOR's release, though I don't blame folks for not wanting to release around L.A. Noire. We all know the *real* juggernaut that Obsidian doesn't want to release around, though, and there's a rumour going around the industry that said game could be coming out this summer. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited April 2011
    While I don't want to move away from Dungeon Siege even more, I think people might be forgetting that BioWare Austin is managing The Old Republic. The teams are separate enough that a close release shouldn't interfere too much.

Now back to Dungeon Siege, I'm glad for the delay. More time between RPGs!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:
    We all know the *real* juggernaut that Obsidian doesn't want to release around, though, and there's a rumour going around the industry that said game could be coming out this summer. :)

You mean Torchlight II? ;) (If you're actually referring to the game I'm really thinking of, I'd think we'd have heard about beta tests by now if a summer release was in serious consideration)

Either way, good year for PC based Action RPGs. Kinda weird how that's suddenly this year's zeitgeist. Maybe it's because MOBA (ie. DOTA clones) games are all the rage?

I'm with Mac, delays are a good thing. At the rate I'm going I'm not going to have enough time to start The Witcher before the new one arrives :(
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Damn, I was going to make that joke!

And yes, the delay has freed up May for me. June is a much lighter month. Torchlight was fun but it's been too long since the last great AAA game of this type.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    shoptroll said:
    You mean Torchlight II? ;) (If you're actually referring to the game I'm really thinking of, I'd think we'd have heard about beta tests by now if a summer release was in serious consideration)
    Most likely, we just happened to overhear some devs talking at PAX East about being scared because their release was scheduled for this summer and there were rumblings about Blizzard's sleeping demon awakening at that time.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited April 2011
    TG Barighm said:
    Damn, I was going to make that joke!

And yes, the delay has freed up May for me. June is a much lighter month. Torchlight was fun but it's been too long since the last great AAA game of this type.
    I, too, was going to make the same joke... Though looking at the way Blizzard handled Starcraft II with betas and release date announcements, it IS possible for summer, but I imagine it would be much later in summer.

EDIT: Back to DS3, I want it more than D3. I've been fine with Obsidian's stuff, regardless of the bugs, so I'm interested to see if working with SE has helped the pest control issue or not.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Macstorm said:
    I, too, was going to make the same joke... Though looking at the way Blizzard handled Starcraft II with betas and release date announcements, it IS possible for summer, but I imagine it would be much later in summer.

EDIT: Back to DS3, I want it more than D3. I've been fine with Obsidian's stuff, regardless of the bugs, so I'm interested to see if working with SE has helped the pest control issue or not.

Considering that most of SE's other western-developed games have reportedly had plenty of bugs to go around as well, I wouldn't count on it.

If anything, I would say that the potential saving grace is that there's less that can go wrong with a Dungeon Siege game. It's comparatively simple to their other works, based on an extremely well-defined formula, which should mean a cleaner development process.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!