If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Disgaea 4 Coming in Fall

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited April 2011 in Latest Updates
It isn't quite a release date, but the game at least has a release month. The real news is that NISA is giving you a chance to leave your mark on the game, so check it out.

[Link]

Comments

• otakudensetsuotakudensetsu Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2011
    got 200 hours of free time? get disgaea 4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Really looking forward to playing this. Love games that let me build up lots of characters.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
  • Lucent85Lucent85 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I like being able to create characters from scratch and name them myself. In Disgaea, you can even rename people you have who already have names, unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, where I had to get rid of characters whose names I didn't like. lol =P
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Loved Disgaea 3 and eager to jump into this one
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Using Hi-Res or near hi-res graphics is a good sale point for this game because now it looks like a PS3 game. (Sort of)
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    Using Hi-Res or near hi-res graphics is a good sale point for this game because now it looks like a PS3 game. (Sort of)

No, it definitely does. This certainly couldn't be persuaded to run on a PS2 or Wii anymore. I'm actually rather impressed that NIS stepped their game up so much in the visuals department.

But I still have no desire to play it. As much as I love the Disgaea world, I can't stand the gameplay.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited April 2011
    LordKaiser said:

This has never been a series that you play for the graphics.
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    This has never been a series that you play for the graphics.

It's played by the humor but graphics will help a lot more here because the game design is awesome. However I will skip it... I used to play the first one but it's so grindy that I stopped playing. Taking the character to at least Lv.300 and leveling the weapons is so tedious not to mention how many times I killed myself with the geostones.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited April 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    It's played by the humor but graphics will help a lot more here because the game design is awesome. However I will skip it... I used to play the first one but it's so grindy that I stopped playing. Taking the character to at least Lv.300 and leveling the weapons is so tedious not to mention how many times I killed myself with the geostones.

In the first one yes, but my experience with the third game was grinding was not required much, and I expect that in this one as well.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    omegabyte said:
    But I still have no desire to play it. As much as I love the Disgaea world, I can't stand the gameplay.

You and me both dude. I'm a person who has OCD, meaning I have to max out everything. That's not easily done on NIS games, so they kinda turn me off from it. Yes, my OCD causes me much hell. It's why I have a maxed file of Star Ocean: Til the End of Time with all Battle Trophies.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    So excited, can't wait for this. :D
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Hear, hear. Disgaea has become something like comfort food to me, or an old sweater that I should get rid of, but not yet. Another Disgaea will fill the bill nicely.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    In the first one yes, but my experience with the third game was grinding was not required much, and I expect that in this one as well.

I imported Disgaea 4 and it is very similar as 3 with the grinding. In 4 I only spent maybe a total of ~3 extra hours just grinding. It seems that 4 is more challenging but not in the fact that everything out-levels you, but more of a tactical challenge and there is quite a bit more geopanel puzzles I've noticed. Overall though it is my favorite Disgaea, gameplay wise. Don't get me wrong though for those that like grinding it IS there if you do the post-game content.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunates said:
    I imported Disgaea 4 and it is very similar as 3 with the grinding. In 4 I only spent maybe a total of ~3 extra hours just grinding. It seems that 4 is more challenging but not in the fact that everything out-levels you, but more of a tactical challenge and there is quite a bit more geopanel puzzles I've noticed. Overall though it is my favorite Disgaea, gameplay wise. Don't get me wrong though for those that like grinding it IS there if you do the post-game content.

That is great to hear! To be honest I nearly bought an import copy at PAX, but somehow managed to stop myself.
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    That is great to hear! To be honest I nearly bought an import copy at PAX, but somehow managed to stop myself.

I imported the LE. The Fuuka nendoroid was too hard to pass up, and The 2 disc soundtrack it came with is very good. Also got Flonne as a free DLC character which isn't on the Japanese PSN yet so it is actually exclusive.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates

Feel free to add me!
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunates said:
    I imported the LE. The Fuuka nendoroid was too hard to pass up, and The 2 disc soundtrack it came with is very good. Also got Flonne as a free DLC character which isn't on the Japanese PSN yet so it is actually exclusive.

Very nice! How's the story?
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    Very nice! How's the story?

The story is better than Disgaea 2, but overall I think 1 and 3 have a better story. I have a strong feeling that NISA are going to add some Twilight references in the localization considering the main character is a Vampire (that eats sardines...), and there is a "supposed" love triangle. I would be surprised if NISA doesn't make a reference here or there. Oh and the Prinnies are a huge part of the story (more so than past Disgaea games).
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates

Feel free to add me!
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunates said:
    The story is better than Disgaea 2, but overall I think 1 and 3 have a better story. I have a strong feeling that NISA are going to add some Twilight references in the localization considering the main character is a Vampire (that eats sardines...), and there is a "supposed" love triangle. I would be surprised if NISA doesn't make a reference here or there. Oh and the Prinnies are a huge part of the story (more so than past Disgaea games).

It's Laharl there?
    edited April 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    It's Laharl there?

Yes Laharl is in Disgaea 4. :)
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates

Feel free to add me!
    edited April 2011
    more importantly, how much of the Disgaea 3 cast is in it?
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    more importantly, how much of the Disgaea 3 cast is in it?

So far it's Laharl, Etna, Flonne, Beryl, Asagi, Zetta, and Prinny Kurtis. I am sure there will be more DLC characters later though.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates

Feel free to add me!
    edited April 2011
    Man, hasn't the cast of the first game been in enough games already?
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:

I agree. I think it is that way since they are considered the most popular and they are, along with the Prinnies, the staple characters of the series.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates

Feel free to add me!
    edited April 2011
    But I heard than unlike Etna, Laharl don't have a part in the main story except the second one.
  • FunctionFunction Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:

You know who I already got more than enough of Etna, I'm sick of her appearing in every Disgaea game comon. Well my party is usually golems anyway I rarely use humans but some of the few I like are Adell, Laharl, Yukimaru. I know that both Adell and Yukimaru will not make it to Disgaea 4, but god I hope they do.

To answer your question I think only Raspberyl will be in Disgaea 4, and probably none from 2 which makes me mad, and everyone from 1.
    edited April 2011
    Looks like NISA is giving the US the same LE edition that Japan got. The game, Artbook, OST, and the Fuuka nendoroid figure. And a premium edition that has all that plus 9 other figures (most likely not nendoroid though). And Asagi, Adell, and Rozalin are being added as DLC on the Japanese store on the 28th. Still no Mao or Pleinair yet though :(
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates

Feel free to add me!
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    if you play only one game this year; play disgaea 4. because that's all you'll have time for.
    edited April 2011
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    if you play only one game this year; play disgaea 4. because that's all you'll have time for.

only if you're an obsessive completionist
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    only if you're an obsessive completionist

Probably not, considering most of us stay away from NIS games.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
    edited April 2011
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Probably not, considering most of us stay away from NIS games.

Then why did you click on this thread? O_O