If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 173: "Colosto-Wii"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited April 2011 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 173: "Colosto-Wii"

RPGamer begins plans to launch its dream RPG console. Listen for details on how you can help out. Also we've got the latest on Capcom's new Dragon themed game, Disgaea 4 pre-order bonsues, and Pok

Comments

• gdawgtukgdawgtuk Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Best podcast....ever...
  • otakudensetsuotakudensetsu Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2011
    i'm still listening but i have to point out that petedorr did a video on the dq slime. he liked it but i thought it looked like a load of you know what.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited April 2011
    I could have brought up Arc Rise Fantasia as a great traditional Japanese RPG...or at least, it would be if it had gotten a far better localization. Still loving the game, though. I would have talked about it if I had played it this week.
    Reincarnation, realization
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    i still have to work on the picture of the colosto-wii.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Bit of a grammar error in your description there Chris.
    sabin1001 said:

RPGamer begins plans to launch its dream RPG console. Listen for details on you can help out.
    I assume there is supposed to be a 'How' in there somewhere.

I keep forgetting to send you guys a voicemail befor ethe cast goes live. Hopefully that situation will be...rectified, this week...
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Chris i'm kinda in the same boat as you with Pokemon, i'm about 23 hours in with 5 badges. Been spending some time trying to find some pokemon that I like but have been kinda underwelmed with them. Still using Smugleaf and Victini, but not finding many others that I really like. Anyone have any suggestions for ones to find? Have Pokemon Black version.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    edited April 2011
    Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile make excellent Ground-types, especially if you get one with the Moxie Ability. If you don't have Zorua, they make for great Dark-types, too. I rather like their design. Water is quite tricky this generation. I went with Ducklet/Swanna for a Water-type since there are very few thsi generation. They start out kind of puny but do get decently powerful once Ducklet evolves. Though you may not need an Electric-type since you have a Snivy (I assume at this time it's probably evolved), but there's always Blitzle/Zebstrika.
    edited April 2011
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile make excellent Ground-types, especially if you get one with the Moxie Ability. If you don't have Zorua, they make for great Dark-types, too. I rather like their design. Water is quite tricky this generation. I went with Ducklet/Swanna for a Water-type since there are very few thsi generation. They start out kind of puny but do get decently powerful once Ducklet evolves. Though you may not need an Electric-type since you have a Snivy (I assume at this time it's probably evolved), but there's always Blitzle/Zebstrika.

Didn't really care for blitzle that much but haven't run into anything that I needed lighting for. I'll have to try out sandile when I play next. For water right now i'm using siesmitoad(sp?) and hes working out well. What i'm really missing so far this generation is a abra clone, I mean victini kinda fills the role but doesn't seem the powerhouse of a fully evolved abra.
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited April 2011
    For Psychics, Musharna and Reuniclus are both very good. The fossil pokemon aren't bad. The water/rock fossil type is powerful but slow; it makes up with Aqua Jet.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Magana Carta 2 sucks I didn't liked how all your field get full of balls. A Desktop PC will be better than any miserable laptop and don't mind the charts that say that laptops are ahead because they're comparing proprietary hardware but not part sales. Part sales are Important and about consoles I prefer the ones that are connected to a Tv. and display HD content also I hope that next system don't contain embedded chips and they use sockets with security fasteners instead. Repairing a PS3 with a re-balling process will cost me $125 USD. Laptops get very hot and need extra care with handling them as they are more designed to show a power point presentation to a public or fast emergency work. Did you know you shouldn't get a laptop from a hot place to a cold place and vice versa? You need to turn off the laptop and then let it adapt to the new temperature before turning it on. Now how many people just do that? People don't follow the guidelines and use laptops as desktops. Minish Cap was a litle like A Link to the Past and BTW I still remember everything about A Link to the Past including how to cheat by getting the red sword early.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • otakudensetsuotakudensetsu Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2011
    magna carta 2 is amazing! you have to use those balls known as kamond when you see them floating around or the enemy will use them. great system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    VonBeardly said:
    Didn't really care for blitzle that much but haven't run into anything that I needed lighting for. I'll have to try out sandile when I play next. For water right now i'm using siesmitoad(sp?) and hes working out well. What i'm really missing so far this generation is a abra clone, I mean victini kinda fills the role but doesn't seem the powerhouse of a fully evolved abra.
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    Yeah, I don't like Blitzle, either. I haven't found any electrics I really like this gen. Now that I'm done with the main game, I think I'm just going to port my Ampharos over. Nothing beats Ampharos for electric Pokes anyway. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Clearly someone hasn't run into Joltik yet. You'll think it's cute, then it'll drop Thunder with 91% accuracy and you'll have a friend for life.

Just ignore the ones that give an ability flash.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
    edited April 2011
    Huh! I actually never tried out the Joltik. Ampharos is still better, though. Because it's Ampharos. <3
    edited April 2011
    I rather like Blitzle, and especially Zenstrika's designs, and their stats aren't bad either. My favorite Electric-type is still Luxray, even though its speed leaves much to be desired. Oh well, that's what Choice Scarf is for. I do love Ampharos as well.
    edited April 2011
    Luxray is my favorite electric type as well. Yep, lackluster speed, but I'm fine with that. At least it isn't an absolute glass cannon like a lot of other electric types, and it's Crunch leaves a mark.
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of Glass Cannons, THATS what I finally figured out was weird about this generation. Nearly all the pokemon in it fit into that catagory, sort of.
    Most of them seem to have one really high stat, and all the other stats kind of suffer, like, either they'll have a very high defensive stat, but their speed and attack stats suffer, or vice versa. They just seem less balanced then previous generation. and the lack of flying type variety vexes me.

@ocelot:Amphoros inferior, Joltik Superior! It's even part of my new favorite double battle combo, Dragonite Sky Drop into Joltik Thunder from midair. Enemy is dead before it even hits the ground.Plus its cuter.
    Btw, How STUPID is it to have a TM that only Four non Legendary pokemon can actually use? One of those is a first gen starter, and another is a first gen fossil.
    dropped the ball there Game freak.
    edited April 2011
    TheMaddness said:
    @ocelot:Amphoros inferior, Joltik Superior!
    Strong Pokemon, weak Pokemon, a true trainer fights with the Pokemon they love the most. :D
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Still pumping through the main Pokemon White story atm. Got a few Pokemon off the Dream World, which helps. Mareep (now Flaaffy) and Shinx were both Electric, which is cool, and an Igglybuff which I've since evolved into Jigglypuff. In six more hours, I'm gonna take my Darumaka to the DW, see if I can get some more awesomeness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Strong Pokemon, weak Pokemon, a true trainer fights with the Pokemon they love the most. :D

Hell yeah! My favorite collection of (balanced) Pokemon is Vaporeon, Typhlosion, Gallade, Togekiss, Luxray, and Roserade. I really need to raise up a Typhlosion and Roserade again... Well, I'll have something to do in two years when Gray comes out.
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Strong Pok
  • rydia of the mistrydia of the mist Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I usually have a really strong psychic pretty much ever time since.. Crystal. In that game the egg hatched into a pre-Jynx whatever it is called.. one of the best I EVER had.

As for suggestions: Well I raised a purrlion and it is one of my final team :) Can team it a fighting TM.. as for Psychic.. well Murshanna (sp?) I suppose though they tend to be slowish.. there's no psychic this generation i actual like which saddens me since that is one of my favorite types ): Litwick is a good one: fire/ghost poekmon to use. Final evolution is pretty powerful. there aren't too many this generation that have really captured me like they have before.
    edited April 2011
    I like Musharna. It's probably one of my favorite psychic types (it loses out to multi-type Gallade for my dream team, though). Musharna sacrifices attack and speed for good stats elsewhere. With Hypnosis+Dream Eater, Musharna can easily heal from any damage taken by faster enemies--it can survive supereffective attacks fairly well so long as the enemy isn't a powerhouse.
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions :)
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I thought the whole dream-console bit was hilarious, but I didn't have anything further to say until something that occurred to me last night, not that it's a shocking grand revelation or anything.

Is it possible that the perceived lack of landmark RPGs in the current generation is due to the more fragmented community? I imagine back in the day you had the general division between tabletop, PC/Mac, and console, and in the 16-bit-era you'd have the SEGA fans and the Nintendo fans. These days you could point out not just fans of individual platforms/consoles, but individual developers or individual franchises, and more. (Western RPG fans, JRPG fans, Bioware fans, Squeenix fans--or even Dragon Quest fans, Final Fantasy fans, Kingdom Hearts fans, and so on--Nippon Ichi fans, Tales fans, Pokemon fans, Super Robot Wars fans, and sub-genres like SRPG fans, Action RPG fans, MMOers, etc. etc.) Not to say that people have to be or are all pigeon-holed into only a few mini-fandoms, many of us have broad tastes, but with the sheer amount out there (in volume and diversity) and how divisive the overall RPG fanbase seems to have become, isn't it possible that it has become the case that fewer RPGs come around that everyone can point to and say "that's one of the greats"?

Or it's just the typical perspective-doesn't-set-in-until-years-later thing like with movies or music... give it a few years and the truly great films and songs begin to peek out above the landscape of their contemporaries. At least, that's how it's been for me. (Harder to say when it's also intertwined with my growing up.)

Either way, time will tell! Sorry if this has been a topic that's too obvious or talked-to-death.

P.S. I think there's a further parallel between the movie industry and the videogame industry--in the earlier/golden days of cinema there seemed to be plenty of movies that everyone could agree on as being really good movies. As the industry has evolved and blossomed into many genres, sub-genres, styles, and such, with a higher output of movies-per-year, there are fewer movies that "everyone" can all say "yeah that's definitely one of the great ones", I would say for similar reasons to what I've said above.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001
  • rydia of the mistrydia of the mist Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I have to say that my 2 favorite psychics ones are Espon (have for soulsilver) and Gardevoir which I had for Ruby and Platinum. In fact my Platinum one is kickass.. has magic leaf, psychic and shadowball.. which is awesome.. and they are just 2 of my favorites :)
  • caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    If Chris is curious about how many manga magazines exist, the answer is "a lot." Wikipedia has a long list of magazines which have been published in Japan and elsewhere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manga_magazines You'll see several magazines in the list with the word Jump in their title -- those are all owned by the company Shueisha. (I believe it's just a name the company uses for some of its relatively mainstream publications.)

And if you're wondering about the importance of weekly and monthly magazines to manga as a form of entertainment, I think the publications section of the main article on manga is relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga#Publications
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I'd be up for a Borderlands game night once or twice per week. From start to finish. I picked it up a while ago on Steam to play with my sister-in-law's husband, but he went ahead and finished it without me. Haven't played it since. I would really like to tackle it with a group from the beginning.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Boderlands is better played in a group because playing alone...Boring!
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't worry too much about finding many Gold Skulltulas in Ocarina of Time. There are 100 of them, but you only need half for all the upgrades. The rewards for getting all 100 is noticeably pointless!

So just forget about them until(/unless?) you hear one, you can aways find the rest afterwards if it still bugs you.

Although I guess getting them is slightly more important in Master Quest, seeing as half of the later dungeons are devoted to hiding them away. (I.e. those dungeons would seem very short, if you did skip them.)