If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of Xillia Provides Butlers and Conversation

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited April 2011 in Latest Updates
The Tales series joins Wild ARMS and Valkyria Chronicles in the ranks of RPG franchises that feature battle-ready butlers. Sometimes you have to wonder if there is an anything good butler can't do.

[Link]

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2011
    My most wanted console JRPG alongside Versus XIII. I think their skit solution could be good if it is handled like the Dragon Age games. I like the idea of having the ability to use all your characters a la Final Fantasy X. So far everything sounds good.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Yep I saw that today and it's pretty neat in the way that your gameplay won't be interrupted so often and yet you can hear what they have to say. I found some screenshots of the new skits in action.

http://scrawlfx.com/2011/04/tales-of-xillia-has-three-types-of-skits-real-time-party-swapping

I want this game more with each new released information.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I always love older characters, whether it's a battle hardened old soldier, or the kung-Fu old timer. I would love to see more old ladies as playable party members though.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    A JRPG borrowing from WRPGs and getting it right? It's a miracle! Definitely looking forward to those "short chats." Can't imagine they wouldn't be voiced, I don't know how they'd do them otherwise.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    sirsniffy said:
    I always love older characters, whether it's a battle hardened old soldier, or the kung-Fu old timer. I would love to see more old ladies as playable party members though.
    Yes, Wynne owned in Dragon Age: Origins. Especially whenever she'd decide to squick out Alistair.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited April 2011
    Well the Tales have already 2 of the 3 skits. The only difference with the battle skits is that the subtitles and portraits are shown when they talk in battle unless they talk plot related conversations in battle. I'm interested in the mini skits where everyone talk and you move and open chests etc.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Tequila MockingbirdTequila Mockingbird Resident Cannibal Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Yay, this looks even more exciting! Also does anyone remember Gre Nade from Evolution Worlds?.. The cool butler with the rifle.
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Battle butlers are badass, barring bad backs or boring banter about being bluenosed.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001
    edited April 2011
    Ok let's recap: We have a Martial Artist, A woman with a rapier that may be the battlemage, A girl who looks shy that could be a healer, A gunner with sword&gun, A goth loli who may have her unique spells and a Butler with a rapier. That's 6 characters by now... Is there space for more?
    edited April 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    Ok let's recap: We have a Martial Artist, A woman with a rapier that may be the battlemage, A girl who looks shy that could be a healer, A gunner with sword&gun, A goth loli who may have her unique spells and a Butler with a rapier. That's 6 characters by now... Is there space for more?

Tales games typically have 8 characters, so yea, probably. Occasionally they'll have 6, but it's rare.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    We're missing the typical Tales heavy swordsman, no?
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited April 2011
    There's 2 sword users but they're rapiers.... Who will use Demon Fang? (aka Majinken)
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Yes, Wynne owned in Dragon Age: Origins. Especially whenever she'd decide to squick out Alistair.
    OMG...YES! Loved Wynne, though I don't really consider her to be an 'old lady', she's sort of GILF-ish. I mean something more like a hag, like Flemeth, or some saucy old woman.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited April 2011
    sirsniffy said:
    GILF
    I don't think I'll ever be happy again now I know this is a thing.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2011
    New screens! *drools*
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428718

Looks like regular skits.
    edited April 2011
    Nim said:
    New screens! *drools*
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428718

Looks like regular skits.

You can see all three types in those screens, actually. The one in battle with the character portrait on the top left corner is probably the battle skit, the one during exploration with a character portrait in the bottom left corner accompanied by some text must be the short chats or whatever they're calling them, and then of course there's the extended skits we all know and love.

Definitely like where that's going, the skits always have some of the funnest character interactions in them, more is definitely a good thing.
    Follow me on Twitter
    edited April 2011
    Blond guy will be a playable or just a NPC? humm.....