If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2nd Super Robot Taisen Z - World Destruction Chapter

QuinQuin ne cede malisRPGamer Staff
edited April 2012 in Staff Review Blogs
Before I get stuck into this, an intro.

Super Robot Taisen Z was a PS2 title released back in 2008, quite late in the console's lifespan. At the time, it was suggested that Z was going to become the start of a new series of SRT games, unlike the standalone titles being released for the DS (W, K & L), and numerous hints were dropped during Z's story that despite the rather happy resolution to the conflict, things were probably going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Z was a little different in construction to the SRT games I'm used to. In something like the Alpha series, by a major coincidence, the plot of each of the included series just happen to all be occuring in the same universe at roughly the same time as needed by the plot. Z threw this convention to the wind a little by having a varety of different universes with different series happening in them and then smashing them together via the Space/Time Oscillation weapon as seen in Super Dimension Century Orguss. This allowed for some quite radically different settings, such as the post-apocalyptic wastelands of After War Gundam X and the much less exploded setting of say, Gravion, to exist on the same planet Earth. This means the plot can function less on contrived co-incidences, and more on the characters as they fight together. Or something. Anyone interested in reading about the story for the previous game can browse through MNeidengard's excellent storyline walkthough on GameFAQs here.

The series list for SRT Z2 looks like this (Sourced from TVTropes). Bold indicates series debut:
  • Overman King Gainer
  • The Big O
  • Invincible Superman Zambot 3
  • Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3
  • Combat Mecha Xabungle
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (Curiously, the TV series replaces the more recent movie here)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
  • After War Gundam X
  • ∀ Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
  • Space Emperor God Sigma
  • Genesis Of Aquarion
  • Super Dimension Century Orguss
  • Space Warrior Baldios
  • Chōjūshin Gravion Zwei
  • Invincible Robo Trider G7
  • Six God Combination Godmars
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS (The Last Red Shoulder\Red Shoulder Document\Roots of Ambition\Pailsen Files)
  • New Mobile Report Gundam Wing (TV series)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Season one)
  • Dancougar
  • Dancougar Nova
  • Getter Robo Armageddon
  • Shin Mazinger Impact! Z Chapter
  • Earth Defence Enterprise Dai-Guard
  • Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven: Pocket Full of Rainbows (Replaces the series)
  • Code Geass Lelouch Of The Rebellion (Season one)
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Gurren-hen)
  • Macross Frontier (The False Songstress)

The world that SRT Z2 starts on is a little confusing, the Britannia-Union, the Advanced European Union (AEU) and Human Reform League (HRL) fight among themselves, and the mysterious "Dimension Beasts" keep appearing and making a mess of things. There are two moons, and two versions of Japan, one occupied by the Britannia-Union called Area 11.

Our original character this time around is the (renamable) Crowe Broust, an incredably unlucky army veteran (At 22!) who is a million credits in debt.

I've currently reached the end of Stage 5 (Of 50) after 17 total turns and initial impressions are extremely good. While the change from isometric maps with 3D map sprites to 2D maps with (extremely good looking) 2D map sprites is a little jarring, the actual battle graphics are smooth and a joy to behold. At this point, the only thing I think i'll miss are the large character portraits during the long talky segments, but they probably wouldn't work too well on the PSP's screen size.

More to come later.

22/04/2011 - I've now cleared Stage 9 with 37 total turns taken. I'll spend a little time rambling about the storyline and my thoughts up to this point, so if anyone doesn't care, might be a good idea to stop paying attention now. I'm going to try and follow the story as much as I can before it dissolves into something not even I can keep up with.

So yes, main character, Crowe, looks like this:

QXXkq6i7Wd3jgDs3c3PQ763u7IMORByt.jpg

Hard to believe he's only 22 with a character design like that. He's bumming around Chicago, holding his last 1G coin. He left his army job when his father fell ill, but was unable to make it to his deathbed in time, leaving him with a hefty million debt. When a debt collector shows up, Crowe mentions that the only reason he doesn't try to have it written off is because he wants to pay back his parents for raising him (Riiiiiiiight).

When terrorists attack a nearby development lab, Crowe is able to convince the lead scientist Tria Scott to become an emergency test pilot for Axion Foundation's new prototype, the Brasta. When Dimension Beasts show up as well, Tria mentions that the Brasta is the first in the line of Anti-DM units, and tasks Crowe with testing the unit against them.

LIp47ADH5ezSMNwi7w76ah4lDi48VmZA.jpg
The Brasta (Can also be localized as "Blasta/Blaster", but this name will make more sense later, trust me on this one).

At the end of the first stage, Tria gives Crowe the option of developing the Brasta as a melee unit, or as a range unit, which effects which attacks it has access to and which animation it uses for certain attack animations. I went with the ranged option. I'm already a big fan of Crowe's character design. He's got a snarky personality, and a very cavilear attitude towards things like ammo conservation, which puts him at odds with more disciplined characters. The Brasta is quickly becoming a favourite, if only for Crowe's reckless disregard for his own ammo supply.

My route split choices so far, one after Stage 2 and another after Stage 4 have introduced me to Celestial Being of Gundam 00, Team D of Dancouga Nova, and the Getter Robo boys (The slightly insane ones from Getter Robo Armageddon). Stage 9 begins to bring the routes together again, and gave me access to Zero's little revolutionary army (Code Geass, before the formation of the Black Knights), along with Heero Yuy and Duo Maxwell of Gundam Wing.

Misc Notes:
- In the first 9 stages, Crowe has been shot down no less than 3 times in various story events.
- While the AEU are known for their "Hellion" mobile suit from Gundam 00, they are also using the notoriously flammable Leo from Gundam Wing.
- When Crowe is accosted by OZ during Stage 3, they are making use of Armored Troopers from VOTOMS.
- Chirico, the main character of Armored Trooper VOTOMS is among the Red Shoulder enemies in Stage 4 along with his squad from that series. A short side event after the mission ends sets off his story, and he is among the characters Zero brings with him during Stage 9.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Comments

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    ::squints at this:: It's written in English, right? I guess I just don't speak Mecha-English. :D
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    OH MY~

I need this. Too bad I'll need a English translation to go with it. -_-
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited April 2011
    Well well, one Super Robot Taisen review just whetted your appetite for more? Not like I'm going to object, of course.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    Well well, one Super Robot Taisen review just whetted your appetite for more? Not like I'm going to object, of course.

Certainly. I'm just thankful I'm reviewing this and not say, SRT K or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited April 2011
    You're lucky enough that you can even understand what is going on without a translated script.

*stares at SRT3 completed file*

If the game is that complicated in story in the 3rd game, I'd hate to see how complicated it is now.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2011
    You're lucky enough that you can even understand what is going on without a translated script.

*stares at SRT3 completed file*

If the game is that complicated in story in the 3rd game, I'd hate to see how complicated it is now.

I'm probably going to cling to route splits that feature series I've seen to completion. While this has worked so far with Gundam 00 and Dancouga Nova, the proverbial wrench is the introduction of Getter Robo, which I haven't seen any incarnation of and only know plot details via a massive Getter fan I know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I shall be following this topic with great interest.
    edited April 2011
    Just a small update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Now clear up to Stage 23
    Time Elapsed: 14:08
    Total Turns: 108
    Crowe Level: 28

It's been an interesting ride up to this point. While I mentioned that Stage 9 marked a route merge, the routes immediatly split again. You only get the choice to choose between the two routes if the Celestial Being route was chosen during the last route split. If one or the other route was taken (Choice between going to Area 11 or Japan), then you're automatically placed on that route this time around. This is presumably done to make sure that plot threads aren't left resolved away from the player's knowledge. So, while the loss of choice would be considered a potential negative, I can see why it's set up this way. The Celestial Being route doesn't have these issues, so either option is a choice.

For me, Stages 10-12 brings Macross Frontier crashing into the rest of the cast, and Stage 13 (Covering the hotel hostage crisis from Code Geass) is what brings the routes firmly together, with a long intermission covering the bit where everyone meets everyone else. Friendships form, and almost everyone gets along. Mostly.

And now, for everyone's enjoyment, gratuitious engrish! In the previous game, the characters are represented by "“Z Emergency Union of Terrestrial Humans" or ZEUTH for short. It's cleaner than 地球人類緊急救援連合. In Z2, after Stage 13, the characters you've gathered together form "ZEXIS", otherwise known as "Z EXtra International Savers". In both cases, the "Z" is used not only as the bluntest title drop ever, but is gotten from the phrase "Not X or Y but Z", referring to the group's seperation from the other world powers.

Do not despair, for provisions are made if you find this silly, your group can be named something else entirely, ZEXIS is just a suggestion.

The good and bad so far.

Good:
    - The unit animation remains extremely good bearing in mind Banpresto are still working with high quality 2D sprites. Graphically the game has transitioned very well to the PSP.
    - The loss of the isometric 3D map isn't as much of an issue as I expected it might be. While there is a clear loss of depth to the maps (duh), terrain is still easily identifiable.
    - Related to the above, the head sprites on the map screen are of good enough quality to tell you exactly which units are which, so the loss of fairly low quality 3D map sprites seen in Original Generations/Orginal Generations Gaiden isn't a big loss.
    - Voice work good quality as usual
    - Despite Banpresto saying that it won't happen again after Z, the animation team have put in slightly seperate animations for ground units attacking air units and vice versa
    - Continues Z's tradition of using animations that are appropriate to the age of the series a mecha is from, so series like God Mars have trippy 80's laser backgrounds and pastel-frame explosions.
    - A system by which undeployed pilots can still earn kills/money/PP/EXP accessable from the Intermission screen.

The Bad (Warning: Nitpicking ahead).
    - There is a small but noticable pause between exiting a pilot's spirit command list and the animation actually playing. Considering this is usually instant, the presence of this is a little unusual.
    - While it's not a big loss, there is no team battle system like the pair system from L, squad system from Alpha 2/3 or Z's three-mech squad system. This limits the number of units you can deploy per mission quite a bit, but the catch up system mentioned above does offset this a little. Basically, you're going to have to play favourites.
    - Super Robots with multiple pilots (eg Dancouga Nova) have been "balanced" by reducing the amount of SP each pilot has to cast spirit commands. I know this is a perfectly valid balancing move by the developers and it means you need to be a little bit more careful with your big hitters, but that doesn't mean I can't have a little whine about it.
    - Speaking of Dancouga Nova. Raising Aoi's morale is quite annoying as the Nova Eagle is quite weak, and only has one spirit command set. I know this is supposed to work like Gravion in Z, where the combined form is a lot stronger but is time limited, but at least the Gran Kaiser was a little bit stronger.

See, nitpicks.

As a sidenote, Stage 23 is probably the hardest my *** has ever been kicked in SRT. I only barely made it through the stage having lost a good two thirds of my deployed units.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    You're making my mouth water here Quin. XD

Going to have to pull out SRT: OG1 and replay it now...
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    <3 me some SRT ...
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited May 2011
    Now clear up to Stage 43
    Time Elapsed: 29:35
    Total Turns: 245
    Crowe Level: 44

My top aces:

Crowe Broust (Original)/Brasta - 198 Kills
    Setsuna F. Seiei (Gundam 00)/Gundam Exia - 99 Kills
    Kira Yamato (Gundam SEED Destiny)/Strike Freedom Gundam - 85 Kills
    Alto Saotome (Macross Frontier)/VF-25 Messiah SP - 75 Kills
    Shinn Asuka (Gundam SEED Destiny)/Destiny Gundam - 68 Kills

Runners up: Amuro Ray (Zeta Gundam), Aoi Hidaka (Dancouga Nova), Ozma Lee (Macross Frontier), Touga Tenkuji (Gravion Zwei) & Athrun Zala (Gundam SEED Destiny).

A note on kills: Z2 brings back character specific ace bonuses. When a character gets to 70 kills (Up from 50, iirc), they gain an ability unique to their character. For example, Setsuna's ace skill means he deals 1.5x damage to units equipped with GN Drives (Fake or otherwise) or any 'Gundam' type unit. Crowe's ace skill boosts his money gain by 25%, and his attack power gets a little boost at high morale.

Z2 also has the return of unit-specific full-upgrade bonuses. Usually, putting the full ten bars of upgrades into a unit's HP/EN/Accuray/Mobility/Armour gives you the option of picking one, and only one benefit from a list of full upgrade bonuses. These are things like an additional 10% boost to the above, giving a unit an instant 'S' rank on a certain terrain, or reducing the cost of barrier abilities to 0. Fully upgrading a unit is rather expensive, so Z2 provides an additional reward by adding a second unit specific bonus to the first one. In the case of Crowe's Brasta, his unit gains +1 additional movement, and a small innate EN regen, useful for his final attack.

Warning, story spoilers to follow, reader discretion advised.
    Stage 23 was probably a poor place to stop, as in the stages following on from my near defeat, ZEXIS begins to run across members of ZEUTH (From SRT Z) who have been pulled through the interdimensional cracks. Several members of ZEUTH mention that they made a promise to Setsuko and/or Rand (SRT Z's lead characters) not to talk about anyone who they meet a copy of.

During Stage 30, Crowe briefly manages to switch on the Brasta's VX (Quintuple X) System, unlocking the Brasta's final attack "VX SPIGOT".

In the stages after this, it is revealed that Crowe possesses one of the twelve spheres, a plot maguffin important to Z's meta plot. These spheres are apparantly the creation of the "Taichi", something that controls the fate of the multiverse by manipulating the "Origin Law". In Z, Setsuko Ohara possessed The Sorrowful Maiden (Virgo), and Rand Travis had The Wounded Lion (Leo). In Z2, Crowe has The Swaying Scales (Libra), and recurrring villain Aim Liared has The Lying Black Sheep (Aries).

Eight sphere holders are currently unaccounted for, and it hasn't been made clear what gathering all twelve together will do, aside from several villains trying to do just that. Plot to conquer the multiverse? Or blow reality up? Answers are unlikely to be forthcoming just yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    That plot...I like it. Makes it feel like a Shounen plot.
    edited May 2011
    There are hints that Banpresto have been planning Z's plot arc for a little while. Dark Brain in OG Gaiden makes reference to "Twelve Keys", and Gulliam Yeager (A SRT character with quite a bit of dimension hopping experience already) mentions the Taichi when he attacks the final boss of OG2.

Some additional notes about Stages 23-43

- Kamina Dies at the end of Stage 32. There's nothing you can do to prevent this. As a nod to the series, the title card for this stage ("Stage 32: Goodbye, My Friends") is the last thing seen before the stage finishes, and is read in Kamina's voice.

- Around Stage 36, the Gundam 00 villains trip the system trap on Aeolia Schenburg's cryo-unit, this unlocks the TRANS-AM attacks for the four Celestial Being Gundams.

- Speaking of Aeolia, the question of why there's a functional microwave facility on the moon for Gundam DX to use it's Sattelite Cannon in this world is explained. Aeolia Schenburg, already shown to have preparedness levels similar to that of Batman during the Gundam 00 series, predicted the interdimensional quakes 200 years before the events of the game, and built a microwave laser on the moon, just in case. THAT'S HOW PREPARED HE IS.

- Stage 39, covering some Armored Troopers VOTOMS plot has an interesting handicap, no units above Small size can be deployed. However, considering all the foes are nimble AT units, it would probably be a little unfair stomping on them with your massive hitters. Doesn't stop your S size units from stomping all over them anyway, but it's the thought that counts.

- Amuro Ray (and Quattro) is a little late to the party, joining around the same time Nirvash upgrades from Spec-2 to Spec-V from the movie, but nobody really cares, because of THOSE FUNNELS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Only one thing can describe how I feel about those spoilers, and what they contain.

1281334812556s.jpg
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    I've been playing the game myself, as the first non-OG Super Robot Wars game I've ever played. Nowhere near as quickly as Quin, though...

Current progress: Just completed stage 13.
    Finally, the route reunification!
    So far, I've acquired all the SR Points and suffered only a single destroyed mech (Cosmocrasher, due to reckless advice from my brother). Going pretty well, so far. I've see every route up through stage 8, though, so that's a total of 24 stages clear (I won't brag about my non-canonical route successes, though).

Also, as a note... I can barely read the Katakana, and only know a handful of Japanese phrases and kanji. Yeah, I basically know nothing of what is happening in the plot other than rough guesses based on my very limited ability to make sense of the text and knowledge of the series involved. It's been fun, if very time-consuming.

The included series based on my familiarity:

Gundam 00: Seen it all.
    Gundam Wing: Seen it all. Many, many times.
    Code Geass: Seen it all.
    Armored Trooper Votoms: I caught the final battle of the penultimate arc and the entire last arc of the TV series. It messes with my perceptions of the series, a bit...
    Macross Frontier: I've never seen an episode, but I played ACE:R so that's got to count for something. I know all the spoilerific plot twists but no context of who these characters are.
    Eureka Seven Movie: Seen it (and the TV series).
    Dancougar Nova: I know nothing.
    Shin Mazinger Z-hen. Nadda.
    Godmars: I know there is a bomb linked to the main hero guy, or something...
    Trider G7: Wikipedia barely knows what this thing is.
    Getter Robot Armageddon: Saw the DVDs in a store once, passed on it. I'm kinda regretting it.
    Dai-Guard: Saw the first episode on TV once. Otherwise, see Getter Robo above.
    Gurren-Lagann: Saw the full TV series (the cut for more commercial breaks version), but not the movies.
    Gundam Z: Seen the whole TV series.
    Char's Counterattack: Seen it.
    Gundam SEED Destiny: Seen it. Liked it more than some did.
    Gundam X: I know stuff about it, but never saw an episode.
    ∀-Gundam: Don't have a clue. Moth wings.
    Dancougar: I don't know the slightest thing about it.
    King Gainer: I've seen it all and the song won't leave my head.
    Gravion Zwei: Seen it all. I can actually blame SRW Z YouTube videos for making me get this one.
    Aquarion: Seen it.
    Zambot 3: What's a Zambot?
    Daitarn 3: Don't know much at all.
    The Big O: Seen it all. Puzzled over the ending like everyone else.
    Baldios: I don't know much, other than the spoilers and how it ends. Kinda depressing.
    Orguss, Xabungle, and God Sigma: I originally forgot to even put them on this list. I barely know anything about them.

I've mostly been following the Super Robot route through the game so far, with a detour into the Hybrid middle path. This is actually a weird accident on my part, since I started playing the game with the intention of following along with real robots like Gundam Wing (the anime that made me love mecha anime) and Code Geass ('cause it rocks). I just kinda messed up in the route selection... This lead me straight to Mazinger Z, which resulted in a somewhat unusual effect on me.

This effect will probably take a bit of an explanation. You see... I always kinda hated Mazinger Z. It is in every SRW games, and it is a major originator for the genre, but I never thought it aged well. And then I played the debut stage of Shin Mazinger Z-Hen and absolutely fell in love with the thing. It has great music, cool plot stages, ridiculous armor, gorgeously animated attacks, fun voice-acting, etc. The thing is just fun to use. It is kind surreal for me...

I'm enjoying the creativity going into the world design so far. The Britannia Union is a fun concept, and the way they integrated VOTOMS of all things into the world was absolutely brilliant. I'm looking forward to how things will develop. It's kinda strange how loose with their secrets Celestial Being has been so far, though...

The quick stage summary so far:

1: Wow that positioning needs to be precise to get this SR Point...
    2: Gundams are as fun as ever.
    3: I didn't mean to take this route! This is kinda fun, though...
    4: Dear god,
    Dai-Guard
    is absolutely hilarious. Also,
    Dancougar
    is a total killstealer.
    5:
    Dancouhou!
    Darn, the counter-attack autoselect betrayed me. Need to reset to get the SR Point now.
    Dancouhou!
    6: Lots of enemies here... Why are these things' evasion scores so high?
    7: Gragh! What ARE these things?!
    8: Seriously,
    Soma
    is absurdly lucky. Fatally lucky, actually. Mission reset...
    9: This "ambiguous gender" thing is not helped by my terrible language skills. I'm pretty sure you're a girl, though... Also, where did THAT monster come from?
    10:
    Drill towards the heavens!
    11: These characters with that morale score terrify me.
    12: This is... getting kinda hard.
    13: Okay, I guess not every mission will be as hard as the last one. That's good to know.

More random mumblings will come as I progress further.
    edited May 2011
    Dancougar Nova: I know nothing.

Some people call it "Gravion Season 3", or "Gravion, without the maids".
    Godmars: I know there is a bomb linked to the main hero guy, or something...
    Get GodMars shot down in a stage, instant Game Over along the lines of the Ideon Game Over in Alpha 3
    King Gainer: I've seen it all and the song won't leave my head.

KING, KING, KING GAINER! METAL OVERMAN KING GAINEEEER!
    Like that, right?
    This effect will probably take a bit of an explanation. You see... I always kinda hated Mazinger Z. It is in every SRW games, and it is a major originator for the genre, but I never thought it aged well. And then I played the debut stage of Shin Mazinger Z-Hen and absolutely fell in love with the thing. It has great music, cool plot stages, ridiculous armor, gorgeously animated attacks, fun voice-acting, etc. The thing is just fun to use. It is kind surreal for me...

Personally, I'm not a big Super Robot fan either. I've watched a few super robot series, but Mazinger Z isn't one of them (The Mazinkaizer OVA is, though). The apppearance of Shin Mazinger Z in Z2 does make me want to see the series, though.

Since the game scales difficulty depending on the number of SR points obtained (Bonus objectives, basically), you're probably going to have a little harder fight than I did in the coming stages. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Quin wrote: »
    That song is just so addictive and insane.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    The continuing quick stage summary of my playthrough... Followed the Real Robot route for once this time (I decided to stick with the Celestial Being Gundams for now).

14: And Zero pulls out a crazy scheme, with fun crossover moments, too. Those Macross guys certainly did not pull their weight, though...
    15: The first great WLF Turkey Shoot.
    16. The second great WLF Turkey Shoot. Also, Chirico is a badass.
    Mukyu!
    Lots of cool things happening here...
    I think I just watched Relena stand up and be the princess that her sad clone Marina is not and inflict a Heroic BSOD on Setsuna. That was incredibly fun to see.
    19. I'm starting to really need to race across the map in order to earn these SR Points... Thank Gundam for the Accel Spirit Command and Alto's insane speed.
    20. A chaotic and fun fight. I was looking forward to this one. A true Who's Who of real robot foes. Also, a moment of bad luck awakened Chirico's inner badass again. He wiped out a small army by himself after that.
    21. I have neglected you,
    God Mars
    , but you still deliver. The backup S.M.S. guys finally get to have some fun. The first time I missed a SR Point (curse you
    Zuul
    !).
    22. The third and greatest of the WLF Turkey Shoots. Apparently crabs don't like drills very much...
    23. You're expecting me to fight what?! And then
    that man
    shows up... This is getting crazy. I survived, though!

That catches me up to where I am. I've got 23 stages clear, 22 SR Points obtained, 107 turns have passed, and that one unlucky hit to the Cosmocrasher is still the only time I suffered a battle casualty. I'm pretty proud of this so far.
    edited June 2011
    Curse you SD Gundam/Persona/Dissidia Duodecim/etc... for distracting me from finishing this one off.

I do have a confession to make though; for all my SRT playing since 2005, I usually don't do so well when it comes to final bosses. While I don't think we'll see a boss on the level of OG Gaiden's Dark Brain grace SRT for a little while, some of the more recent ones are a little tricky for two reasons.

1. Things to shoot at that aren't the boss. Now, I don't mind low-ish HP grunts to shoot at, you need to shoot down enemies to get the morale of your forces up. Some games (J, W, K, L) even have unlimited waves of mooks once the final phase of the battle begins. Low power mooks I'm fine with, because you normally don't have to expend that many resources dealing with them. The trouble usually occurs when the summoned enemies are considerably stronger with "???,???" HP bars (Meaning 100,000HP+), with far more deadly weapons, in terms of power and accuracy and stronger defences.

2. MAP Weapons. For those not familiar with the concept, MAP Weapons are weapons that hit more than one target on the map. Some are straight line weapons (Wing Zero's Buster Rifles), some take the form of cone attacks (Strike Freedom's DRAGOON Full Burst, which also has friend-foe recognition) and other forms like radial bursts (Popular on boss units). MAP weapons are quite rare, and they can be very powerful in the hands of the player units.

Now, in order to make bosses more of a threat and to keep the player on their toes, some bosses also have MAP weapons, and most of the final bosses I've fought in SRT have had one. As the boss has very high pilot stats, these weapons are highly accurate, and can very easily wipe away weaker units unable to dodge or tank the damage. Most final bosses these days also have an innate double movement ability, and are immune to status effects*, thus allowing them to use two MAP weapons back to back, easily devastating your units if they're within range.

Why do I bring this up?
    SRT Z2's final stage introduces a new type of Dimensional Monster, which have over 100,000HP, a formidable barrier, long range attacks and annoyingly, a radial burst MAP weapon. Two of these have to be defeated before the final boss shows up, and two more show up when the final boss does make an appearance.

Now, I shouldn't really be complaining, this is pretty much what I signed up for, but I'm thinking I may need to restart the stage to better strategize, as I think I should try and position my forces as far away from the final boss' spawn point as possible, or, position my forces right on top of it and attempt to mob him when he shows up.

I doubt the latter plan will work, but it will be an awesome Game Over.

*: Amusingly, Dark Brain is vulnerable to Stun Shock if used with Hot-Blood/Valor. This makes for a much easier fight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    Damn, that reminds me alot of the 'true' final boss of Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation. Dear GOD was that thing utterly brutal. I was down to the last turn when I killed it.
    edited June 2011
    Did Seputagint have any MAP weapons? I honestly can't remember.

It might have been an easier fight in OGs than in the GBA version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stratrpgamerstratrpgamer Member Full Members
    edited August 2011
    Ever played through any of the classic SRWs?
    edited August 2011
    I really should, specially F/F Final, which I hear a lot of good about.

I'm not sure how well I'd fare with the older mechanics (Multi-seishin casting was one of the best design choices ever made in this series), and much simpler animations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011
    Quin wrote: »
    I really should, specially F/F Final, which I hear a lot of good about.

I'm not sure how well I'd fare with the older mechanics (Multi-seishin casting was one of the best design choices ever made in this series), and much simpler animations.

The difficulty of the older ones is quite startling, especially the 3rd one on SNES, which was hard to the point where I redid a single battle in an early chapter twelve times.
    edited August 2011
    The difficulty of the older ones is quite startling, especially the 3rd one on SNES, which was hard to the point where I redid a single battle in an early chapter twelve times.
    That's unfortunate. The early chapters are the easiest ones. It gets to be a nightmare by the last couple of scenarios. Especially if you take the route that leads to a scenario where you have to fight four inspectors, a valcion, and the big-o almost at the same time.
  • randal77randal77 well well, look who it is Full Members
    edited September 2011

I'm playing through SRW 3 at the moment, up to chapter 13 or so, and yeah, it's hard. Biggest difficulty jump has been that you can actually see your to hit% chance and your to evade% chance until you've actually started attacking an enemy! But I like some of the feel to it - basically Neo DC are back (aren't they always?) and the team is going around gathering all the 'super' robots they can. Gundams are kinda crap, have high hit% and dodge%, but can't take any kind of attack (this seems more pronounced than usual). But the attitude of 'we must gather all the super robots to stand a chance - raideen/combattler/daitarn etc' is an interesting one.
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy
    edited September 2011
    randal77 wrote: »
    I'm playing through SRW 3 at the moment, up to chapter 13 or so, and yeah, it's hard. Biggest difficulty jump has been that you can actually see your to hit% chance and your to evade% chance until you've actually started attacking an enemy! But I like some of the feel to it - basically Neo DC are back (aren't they always?) and the team is going around gathering all the 'super' robots they can. Gundams are kinda crap, have high hit% and dodge%, but can't take any kind of attack (this seems more pronounced than usual). But the attitude of 'we must gather all the super robots to stand a chance - raideen/combattler/daitarn etc' is an interesting one.
    Not being able to confirm hit/dodge in SRW 3 is annoying for sure. Early game gundams are crap but later ones with funnels and MAP attacks are invaluable. Good luck because it only gets more difficult.
    edited October 2011
    Thread Necromancy!

I finally polished this off today, a loooong time after I really should have. I honestly don't know why I was complaining up top, I'd actually managed to get my forces into a fantastic position and employed a modified version of my Dark Brain downing tactic, using Crowe in the Brasta as a distraction for the one enemy on the map that doesn't regen HP and has terrible aim (
    Shiony's last hurrah in her Great Axion battleship
    ). Once the final boss shows up (
    "Gaiou" The King of Destruction, previously shown kicking my *** way back on Stage 23
    ), I'd already positioned my forces around his deploy location and wasted his 180,000HP pool in a single turn.

The post final stage stuff is mostly showing how the various members of ZEXIS and ZEUTH are settling down now that the threat of the Dimension Beasts appears to be over. The game then presents a preview of the next game in the Z arc in the style of a next episode preview, showing what might be happening in the next game. Events include
    the gunshot that ends Code Geass season 1, the destruction of the Ptolemaios, the reappearance of the Getter Dragon and Lady Une confronting the Gundam Wing crew.

I'll probably leave this thread open for discussion for a little while, as writing the review will probably take some time. I'll be making sure it goes up before OGs2 is out, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2011
    Congrats Quin. It's sad but the SRW English community is fairly small and fractured. Looking forward to your retroview.
This discussion has been closed.