If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ads causing mischeif

NightfoxNightfox MemberBerkeley, CAFull Members
edited May 2011 in Site & Forum Support
I dunno where else to post this, but just thought I'd give a heads up. There seems to be some weird spyware/malware ads popping up on the site recently because I keep getting AVG preventing me from loading the site entirely, and just now, I got a redirect to one of those fake "your computer is infected" websites that look like your control panel scanning for viruses and keeps reloading if you try to close it. I usually just refresh the page and it gets cycled off, but still seems like it could be a problem. We haven't found anything on my own work pc that would trigger this. Still I can't be sure, but thought I'd say something just in case.

I'm guessing most people don't see them because of adblock plugins, but I have to browse from work and we have a strict IE-only policy here and are locked out of installing anything else... yeah.

It may also be related to another long-standing problem, certain ads seem to remove the scroll bar on the home page, but I can refresh and usually it reappears.
http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Kinda glad to see this is happening to someone other than me. It also only happens to me when I'm viewing RPGamer on my work laptop where I have to use an older version of Explorer.

EDIT:
    I also get the scroll problem often, and have been for months. Again, it only happens on Old IE on my work laptop. The malware ads just started happening about a month ago.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Same here, I borrowed a laptop on vacation and I kept getting that fake "your computer is infected" screen. Almost fell for it since I wasn`t familiar with that laptop.
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited April 2011
    Another quick note, we just updated to IE9 at work so even the newer browser is having the same problems :(
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    I've forwarded this link to the staff mailing list, so hopefully it'll reach the systems-type people.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Currently I'm unable to replicate these issues. I run various A/V software and none of them have triggered on our site. Could you capture a screenshot next time it happens? Then we can nail down which ad(s) it's occurring on.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited April 2011
    How easy is it to get a different ad system? This isn't the first time we've had trouble with the current ad network.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Half a dozen bad ads compared to the thousands of successful ones isn't a breaking point. Plus, as soon as we find the bad ad we can request removal.
    edited April 2011
    Firemyst wrote: »
    Currently I'm unable to replicate these issues. I run various A/V software and none of them have triggered on our site. Could you capture a screenshot next time it happens? Then we can nail down which ad(s) it's occurring on.

I can't get the malware ad to pop up today either. It might have been caught by the ad system or rotated out. Earlier this month it was happening to me about every other day, and I don't have time to surf the web much on my work PC, so that's a high occurrence rate.

@Paws: I don't think something like malware ads should be trivialized. If I happened across a new site and saw a malware ad take over my browser, I doubt I would ever return. I had site years ago that I read a few times a month, and after it acted virusy on me twice in the same week, I never went back. For me as a web surfer, this is a very different thing than an obnoxious spinning DJ Hero ad or a broken scrollbar.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Doesn't pop up for me either. Then again, I use Firefox combo'd with NoScript. Makes it so it can't pop up unless I allow the ad from the site. Makes everything easier for me, and it's how I dodge a majority of the things that try to sneak their way into this laptop.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Berkeley, CAFull Members
    edited April 2011
    I managed to pinpoint the ad that causes the missing scroll bar to the Wrigley's "5" gum or whatever that is. Anytime that ad shows up the scroll bar is gone. I dunno if other ads cause it but it's the only one I've seen that does.

Still trying to get one of the two malware redirects I've run into - but it took me almost all day to get that Wrigley's one to show up once, so it might be a couple more days before it cycles up again. I'll keep an eye out.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    I agree it's serious 7th, but while we've had obnoxious ads in the past, this is the first I recall that's toxic instead.

Also, thank you everyone for helping us pin the problem down.
    edited May 2011
    It's back! I was redirected to this site from rpgamer.com:

http://aveescl.co.cc/index.php?<lengthy gibberish>