If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of Abyss 3D Coming to the US

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited May 2011 in Latest Updates
The title says it all. All of you Tales fans out there can feel free to put down your torches and pitchforks until Tales of Xillia becomes overdue for a Western release.

[Link]

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited April 2011
    This is indeed awesome news! I was a tad worried since ports and remakes of Tales games almost never leave Japan, but I guess it's hard to pass up when it's going to be one of the first RPGs on the 3DS, and most of the translation and voice-acting has been done already. :D
    Reincarnation, realization
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I saw a few tweets today but didn't want to get my hopes up, but now that I see it here I can be excited. Yay. I know a majority like Vesperia or Symphonia, but this is still my favorite in the series.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    This is my favorite RPG ^_^ The character development that goes on with Luke and Asch and all the rest of the cast is just phenomenal. The overall story is awesome, gameplay rocks, and Jade is the best character ever created. Insta win!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 2011
    This announcement actually does make me want to raise my pitchfork, though. My greatest fear with Graces (and now this) is that they won't sell to expectation, and poor Xillia will receive the backlash for it. Furthermore, we already got Abyss. I don't mean to hate, but I'd much rather Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, or Destiny 2 over a port of anything.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I second that. I personally didn't like Abyss. I can't stand idiot heroes like Luke. It breaks my suspension of disbelief. Jade's sarcasm is the only reason I made it through the game.

I'd rather see new localizations. I certainly won't buy this.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Damn...now I have a good reason to buy a 3DS. Personally, I think Jade was my favorite character out of that entire game, and was tied with Guy.

Luke: "Damn these things are annoying!"
    Jade: "Then you should feel right at home!"
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2011
    No enough for me to re-buy but for all the people who haven't played this game yet this is the definitive version that you should get instead of the PS2 version unless you need to play on a TV.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    ChickenGod said:
    This announcement actually does make me want to raise my pitchfork, though. My greatest fear with Graces (and now this) is that they won't sell to expectation, and poor Xillia will receive the backlash for it. Furthermore, we already got Abyss. I don't mean to hate, but I'd much rather Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, or Destiny 2 over a port of anything.

Wait, Tales fans cry foul that we didn't get a second version of Vesperia, and now cry foul that we get a second version of a different Tales game? Wha?

Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, and Destiny 2 are ancient history at this point, why even bring them up? I don't think I've ever seen another fan base get angry at games being localized. It's coming over to tie in with the manga/anime. It will do fine, being the only big JRPG on the system. It will do fine, and even if it doesn't, sales of a 3DS game will not hurt Xillia's chances one way or another. Relax. Let the Abyss fans enjoy this.

You guys are seriously killing my love of this series
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I'm fine with not getting a second version of Vesperia. ToV was fine without a loli-pirate. Actually, it would've been fine without Karol too - there's little need for inexplicably young characters in these games. Twelve-year-old in a war-zone? Rita's at about the threshold for that sort of thing.

I'm not much for the idiot-hero bit either. I liked Abyss alright, as I also liked Symphonia, but they tend to be games I like in spite of the grating stupidity of the male lead.

I prefer new releases to remakes, but a decent portable RPG is typically a good thing. I'd prefer to see the newer Tales games come over than a port of Rebirth, etc.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Wait wait wait, people think LUKE was a stupid hero? Hardly, he was actually fairly intelligent for a Tales lead. You have to keep in mind that he was also only
    Spoiler:
    seven years old
    and lived a sheltered life with no contact with the real world. His "stupidity" was ignorance. If you want stupid Tales heroes, look at Lloyd, Stahn, and Reid.

Honestly, this is a shocking announcement. I thought we had no chance of seeing this game, especially since Abyss didn't even do all that well in the US the first time it came around. But I'll take what I can gets. Hopefully they make engine improvements and it runs smoother. Maybe they'll even add voicework for the skits? Here's hoping.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I'm willing to bet most European gamers will be missing out on this great game a second time. Sigh.
    Currently playing:
    Ys: The Ark of Naphishtim | Euro Truck Simulator 2 | Legend of Dragoon
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    omegabyte said:
    Wait wait wait, people think LUKE was a stupid hero? Hardly, he was actually fairly intelligent for a Tales lead. You have to keep in mind that he was also only
    Spoiler:
    seven years old
    and lived a sheltered life with no contact with the real world. His "stupidity" was ignorance. If you want stupid Tales heroes, look at Lloyd, Stahn, and Reid.

Honestly, this is a shocking announcement. I thought we had no chance of seeing this game, especially since Abyss didn't even do all that well in the US the first time it came around. But I'll take what I can gets. Hopefully they make engine improvements and it runs smoother. Maybe they'll even add voicework for the skits? Here's hoping.
    I'm not sure if it's paying him a large compliment to say he's smart for a Tales protagonist. Luke was ignorant, yes, but he was also willfully ignorant. Let's just say I find it preferable for the player avatar to have functional reasoning skills. The dim-witted but that charges into the worst possible situation/makes the worst possible choices is just frustrating to play. I get that it's sort of an anime trope, I really do. However, it grates on me when you play a character that you "theoretically" control, but goes full-stupid all the time. It was more enjoyable to play as a protagonist like Yuri that seems to have his wits about him most of the time. IMHO of course.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    Wait, Tales fans cry foul that we didn't get a second version of Vesperia, and now cry foul that we get a second version of a different Tales game? Wha?

I'd link you to the TVTropes page for "unpleasable fanbase", but I don't have the free time to squander in that black hole of time-wasting...
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    Spartakus said:
    I'm willing to bet most European gamers will be missing out on this great game a second time. Sigh.

Regioooooon loccccck! *shakes fist* :(
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:

Hearts, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, and Destiny 2 are ancient history at this point, why even bring them up? I don't think I've ever seen another fan base get angry at games being localized. It's coming over to tie in with the manga/anime. It will do fine, being the only big JRPG on the system. It will do fine, and even if it doesn't, sales of a 3DS game will not hurt Xillia's chances one way or another. Relax. Let the Abyss fans enjoy this.

I agree it is honestly getting to the point where I am ashamed to call myself a Tales fan. It has one of the worst fan bases ever... People complained also when Graces localization was announced because Vesperia PS3 wasn't announced. Be grateful we are even getting Tales games PERIOD. As Wheels mentioned would people be complaining if this was Vesperia PS3? Most likely. Because it wasn't Xillia, Hearts, Rebirth, etc. the later being again as Wheels mentioned ancient history now. The tales fanbase needs to just grow up and be thankful we are even getting this game.

And anyone know if Namco/Bandai is localizing or if they handed it over to Nintendo?
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    If they add voices to the skits I'd seriously think about picking it up even though I already own the PS2 version. It's been a while since I played it.

Of course, I'd need to buy a 3DS first...hmm.
    edited April 2011
    Cidolfas said:
    If they add voices to the skits I'd seriously think about picking it up even though I already own the PS2 version. It's been a while since I played it.
    Unfortunates said:
    And anyone know if Namco/Bandai is localizing or if they handed it over to Nintendo?

Unless they decide to re-record voices to match the anime (if the voice cast is different), I'd assume they would use the localization from the PS2 version, which would also mean no voices for the skits. I wonder if they can even fit all of the voices in the game, I'm not sure how much space a 3DS cart holds.
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:
    Unless they decide to re-record voices to match the anime (if the voice cast is different), I'd assume they would use the localization from the PS2 version, which would also mean no voices for the skits. I wonder if they can even fit all of the voices in the game, I'm not sure how much space a 3DS cart holds.

3DS carts are reportedly quite large - for instance, the 3DS port of Devil Survivor is going to be fully voiced, and Atlus USA has gone on record saying that it's the most voicework they've ever recorded for a single game before. Considering how much voicework is in Persona 3 and Persona 4, that's quite impressive. And since the localization is essentially done anyways, Namco may just throw a bone to their fans and voice the skits, since they don't have to re-voice the main game. That is, if they can get the original cast back, though I doubt that'd be too much of a problem.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:

I guess what I really meant by that was if Namco/Bandai or Nintendo would be publishing the game in the States, but I hope they voice the skits since as omegabyte pointed out the 3DS carts are quite large.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunates said:
    I guess what I really meant by that was if Namco/Bandai or Nintendo would be publishing the game in the States, but I hope they voice the skits since as omegabyte pointed out the 3DS carts are quite large.

If Nintendo was willing to jump on publishing duty for Tales games in the west, we would have gotten the DS ones. I'm sure it's going to be Namco
    Follow me on Twitter
  • NightfoxNightfox Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    I am pretty sure with the way the new SD cards are now, which are similar tech to DS/3DS cartridges, they could fit an entire DVD (or more) on one if they wanted to (obviously at a slightly higher manufacturing price point), so I have no worries they could fit a fully voiced Abyss 3DS game in there.

Was worried I wouldn't have a full RPG to play on my 3DS for a few years (I mean, aside from the backlog of DS games I just bought now that I can play them), let alone a Tales game, this news really saved my whole week :) Most new consoles don't have this luxury.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)
    edited April 2011
    omegabyte said:
    If Nintendo was willing to jump on publishing duty for Tales games in the west, we would have gotten the DS ones. I'm sure it's going to be Namco

Not only that, but as previously stated, it appears to be a tie-in release to the Tales of the Abyss anime/manga, so namco is going to be in control of advertising to tie it closely to those.

Also- I doubt there's space for the Japanese vocals, so if you're the kind of person that needs that for some reason, don't expect it.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Wheels said:

I could care less about the "Tales fans" stigma, all I know is that a port of any game in the series that has already recieved an english translation is nothing I'm excited for in the least. Why? Because I already own the game. I want to support Tales, but just don't have the money to spend on something I already own. I've never cried foul about Vesperia PS3 or any other previously localized port not getting a shot.

The reason the sales idea concerns me is because I have heard, and perhaps this is false information, that games like Symphonia 2 and Radiant Mythology sold poorly (one of them being a handheld) and therefore for the longest time Graces, which at the time only existed on the Wii, was (and I assume still is) being passed over. Obviously everything worked out in the end, but no one can deny that Graces coming over seemed to be in serious jeopardy for the longest time.

Concerning "ancient history", I don't see any reason why Abyss isn't Ancient history itself. This is a game that was released in Japan in 2005, where as Rebirth was ported to the PSP in 2008. I realize it just so happens that Abyss was the title chosen for the 3DS, but we've missed out on 4 handheld mothership titles in the past 3-4 years. We just got a 2004 game in TITS, why can't the same be done here?

Finally, I'm not angry that this game is getting localized at all, I'm just concerned at the proposition that Abyss may do poorly and hurt Tales in the long run, because most people who wanted to play Abyss in the first place probably already have it. I hope everyone enjoys Abyss just as much as I did the first time, afterall!
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    edited April 2011
    ChickenGod said:
    I could care less about the "Tales fans" stigma, all I know is that a port of any game in the series that has already recieved an english translation is nothing I'm excited for in the least. Why? Because I already own the game. I want to support Tales, but just don't have the money to spend on something I already own. I've never cried foul about Vesperia PS3 or any other previously localized port not getting a shot.
    Lots of people don't own the game, and many would be very happy to have a second version portable. You may not have cared about the whole Vesperia PS3 thing, I just found the irony quite hilarious that your complaint was the exact opposite of the ongoing complaint regarding Vesperia.
    ChickenGod said:
    The reason the sales idea concerns me is because I have heard, and perhaps this is false information, that games like Symphonia 2 and Radiant Mythology sold poorly (one of them being a handheld) and therefore for the longest time Graces, which at the time only existed on the Wii, was (and I assume still is) being passed over. Obviously everything worked out in the end, but no one can deny that Graces coming over seemed to be in serious jeopardy for the longest time.
    That information is 100% false. First of all, Symphonia 2 sold just fine, and secondly, I can guarantee you that Graces not coming over at first had everything to do with the massive technical issues of the Wii version. Graces F was announced for localization pretty quickly after its Japanese release. Oh, and Radiant Mythology probably sold poorly because it's a terrible game.
    ChickenGod said:
    Concerning "ancient history", I don't see any reason why Abyss isn't Ancient history itself. This is a game that was released in Japan in 2005, where as Rebirth was ported to the PSP in 2008. I realize it just so happens that Abyss was the title chosen for the 3DS, but we've missed out on 4 handheld mothership titles in the past 3-4 years. We just got a 2004 game in TITS, why can't the same be done here?
    Abyss isn't ancient history because it's being released on a new system that's lacking in RPGs. The titles you mentioned included an old PS2 game (Destiny Ramake), and then three titles, all of which were released in 2008 or early. TitS was a nice exception to old games being localized, but it's just that, an exception. If they want to build the fanbase, you don't do it by localizing games for three dead or dying systems. Again, TitS is an exception, and do not expect Namco to ever do anything similar.
    ChickenGod said:
    Finally, I'm not angry that this game is getting localized at all, I'm just concerned at the proposition that Abyss may do poorly and hurt Tales in the long run, because most people who wanted to play Abyss in the first place probably already have it. I hope everyone enjoys Abyss just as much as I did the first time, afterall!
    I have no idea why you're so concerned it will do poorly. It's got an anime and manga to back it up, the benefit of being an early 3DS title when there aren't many JRPGs, and a large fanbase that I don't believe shares our opinions. It will sell fine.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Can we all just agree that Lloyd is stupider than Luke?
    thanks for reading
    edited April 2011
    Miyosaka said:
    Can we all just agree that Lloyd is stupider than Luke?

Yes, yes we can :)
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2011
    But Lloyd is more loveable than Luke. <3
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited April 2011
    Ah yes, since they wouldn't (likely) have to dub the whole game, they could voice the skits this time around. I'm not holding my breath, but here's hoping. :)
    Reincarnation, realization
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited April 2011
    Severin Mira said:
    Regioooooon loccccck! *shakes fist* :(

I've already played it so I won't be getting it on the 3DS anyway, but I really wish more Europeans would play this game.
    Currently playing:
    Ys: The Ark of Naphishtim | Euro Truck Simulator 2 | Legend of Dragoon
    edited April 2011
    Ocelot said:
    But Lloyd is more loveable than Luke. <3</div>

LIES

Besides people are too distracted by Sheena's breasts to have a chance to find Lloyd lovable!