If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Guardian Heroes Revive on XBLA

QuinQuin ne cede malisRPGamer Staff
edited October 2011 in Latest Updates
Ok, who likes old Sega Saturn games that have a little in common with Streets of Rage? Ok, you at the back, Sega has got something for you.

[NEWS]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    FFFFFFFFF YES. This is a game that made me wish I had had a Saturn years ago. I'll be definitely giving this one a whirl when it releases.
  • SkyppSkypp Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Not to be that guy but...

Did you mean Final Fight instead of Fatal Fury?
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited May 2011
    I believe he did, so I made another choice, entirely appropriate. As for the game itself, maybe now people who didn't own a Saturn can play it some appreciation will come widely.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Now developers don't want to take risks developing for PSN... Thanks hackers!
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    This isn't just a great game getting a wider release people, this is one of the best of all time.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited May 2011
    While I'm not really interested in beat 'em ups, this raises my hopes that they will release MegaCD/Saturn games for XBLA! Like Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force CD and 3. And all the other good stuff I missed out because the Saturn pretty much never really existed in my country.
    edited May 2011
    Mega CD? Don't get your hopes up, Sega's done its best to ignore that system's existence ever since it died. The Shining games on Saturn are snarled in a tangle of hate between Sega and Camelot, so don't expect them either. Only things Sega owns the rights to in full have a shot. Though, assuming Victor Ireland can be convinced, that might mean Dragon Force is eligible.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of SQUEE~ in this sector.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Sucks that it's not announced for PSN. Apparently that means I have to dust off my Saturn to play it. Ah, well.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited May 2011
    No PSN release? That sux. This is one of the best games of all time.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    Nobody wants to announce anything for PSN / PS3 right now; it's too toxic to be associated with currently. So while I don't know if this will be PSN, don't automatically assume if it wasn't announced now it won't be.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Oh, come on. We're gamers. If we can't overreact to a lack of news, what CAN we do? It would totally cramp our style! :D
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    I'm less concerned about the gamers and more concerned how the popular media is warping things like nuts. I was on break at work the other day, saw a news report claiming 200 million credit cards were stolen (lolwat), including those of the new tablet users (wait, what?). Yeah gamers are losing their tempers -- and it's understandable to a degree -- but the news frenzy is making things soooo much worse.
  • WhoompWhoomp Smorgasbord Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Pics for anyone interested: http://www.gamersyde.com/gallery_15555_en.html

Filter apparently optional and no, they haven't forgot about PS3:
    (from SEGAs official facebook account)
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Whoomp's post makes me feel better that it will be coming to PSN. It looks AWESOME! The atmosphere they create with the backgrounds and characters is such a classic and feel-good fantasy. It reminds me a lot of the Slayers anime. So what can people who have played it say about it? tellmetellmetellme!!!
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 2011
    Amazing! I loved this game back on the Saturn, me and my friends used to play it allllllllllllllllll the time. Considering my saturn doesn't work anymore, I'll be more than happy to get it.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Actually, comparing it to Fatal Fury kind of makes sense, considering it has separate horizontal planes that you switch between like the earlier Fatal Fury games did instead of having you freely sidestep up and down single a wide plane like most 2D beat-em-ups. This lets you use one-on-one fighter style moves that require inputing directional combinations.
  • SkyppSkypp Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Jungyin said:
    Actually, comparing it to Fatal Fury kind of makes sense, considering it has separate horizontal planes that you switch between like the earlier Fatal Fury games did instead of having you freely sidestep up and down single a wide plane like most 2D beat-em-ups. This lets you use one-on-one fighter style moves that require inputing directional combinations.

Perhaps I am the one in error then. Early 90's fighting games are my 2nd game obsession next to late 90's RPG's. I usually deal with Final Fight and Fatal Fury getting mixed up when I'm talking to a newcomer to the genre, so I might have been a bit hasty.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Cool, Thanks for that snippet Whoomp! This will be a day 1 buy for sure!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Isn't that "Dungeon Fighter Online", that's supposedly coming to XBLA, quite similar?
    edited May 2011
    It's possible I suppose, but somehow telling if it took 15 years for another company to try ripping off Treasure's title.
    Also, Treasure itself is supposedly handling the conversion to XBLA. That's undoubtedly a good thing, but it means any other Saturn releases depend on Sega getting the original developer interested in the job.
  • spman2099spman2099 New Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Jitawa said:
    Isn't that "Dungeon Fighter Online", that's supposedly coming to XBLA, quite similar?

I have played Dungeon Fighter Online; it isn't anything like Guardian Heroes. If anything, DFO is much more like the D&D Beat'em ups that were in the arcades (and released on the Saturn in Japan).

One other important point that needs to be made; DFO is okay, Guardian Heroes is the best game in the genre.

Get hyped!
    edited May 2011
    Imagine if Legend of Eldean gets re-released!
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited May 2011
    Go right ahead and imagine. That's what it'll take, since Working Designs did the localization of that game, and Victor Ireland would have to give his assent for it to be re-released, assuming anyone actually acts upon the idea and puts it on some other system. Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean isn't in the same league as Guardian Heroes, anyway.
    edited May 2011
    Well at least Sunsoft and Gaijin Works are active. I saw some videos about Guardian Heroes on Youtube and yes I want to play this game and I will buy it if it hits PSN.
  • IdhilsynIdhilsyn New Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    What was the dude with the black armour and dual-wielding swords named? Valgar? Vargas?

I dunno. I still remember playing the Versus mode with that guy. Whenever you do his spinning uppercut-slash move thingie, sounds like he's going "Hobbits! Hobbits!"

Not to mention, his theme was so awesome.

Memories. =D
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    When it hits PSN I will be so happy to get it no doubt about it. This one seems so random, but amazing. I've seen some of the gameplay screens and it looks beautiful no doubt about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited May 2011
    I also never knew there also was a GBA version.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    The GBA sequel doesn't really compare with the original though, but that may be mostly due to the limits of the GBA.
    edited May 2011
    I also never knew there also was a GBA version.
    Like most Treasure sequels, Advance Guardian Heroes is its own animal entirely. Not without its charms, and I did play through the thing about a dozen times (partly because it's short enough to make that very easy), but quite different than its progenitor. The music quality is also absolutely horrid, showing how lousy the GBA's sound system is, though the tunes themselves are good.