If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Witcher 2 Launch Trailers Evoke Emotion

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited May 2011 in Latest Updates
Swordfights, politics, romance, and Chopin go together like witchers and mutagens, don't they? Read on to experience The Witcher 2's launch trailers and learn exactly when the game will be available to play tomorrow.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I wish that I could afford this at the moment. Ah well, it'll still be there in a month or two, and I really should play the first one first. It's just so.....PRETTY.
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Hmmm... from the two videos I saw, they looked to be incorrectly labelled. The second one seemed to be more the Pain and Disdain where the first one was more of the "Hope" trailer. There was nothing good about the "Hope" trailer except that Geralt was there... but the atrocities that were being portrayed in it seemed to be more along the lines of 'Pain and disdain'. Maybe it's just me... but they're both pretty dark in nature. I sure hope this game delivers like it promises. I had thought that The Witcher might become a long series, but it looks from the videos like this is going to be the LAST story of Geralt. I sure hope this is not the case.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    This looks absolutely excellent!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited May 2011
    The game's unlocked on GOG now, don't know about Steam.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Do you think they'll release this on consoles? They never released the first one on consoles, did they? Hmmm, the outcome looks bleak.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    LegendaryZoltan said:
    Do you think they'll release this on consoles? They never released the first one on consoles, did they? Hmmm, the outcome looks bleak.

It's a possibility, but no guarantees at this point. We'll be sure to report it if there's ever an announcement.
    edited May 2011
    The Doomhammer said:
    The game's unlocked on GOG now, don't know about Steam.
    I know, I'm up at 4am braving the early morning pollen allergy assault just to finish downloading!
    edited May 2011
    Ocelot said:
    It's a possibility, but no guarantees at this point. We'll be sure to report it if there's ever an announcement.

The possibility is significantly better than neutral, as CD Projekt have already signaled their intent to sit down once the game launches and try to assess their ability to port it to console.
    edited May 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    The possibility is significantly better than neutral, as CD Projekt have already signaled their intent to sit down once the game launches and try to assess their ability to port it to console.
    I think their major challenge is finding a company to do a competent port at a price CDP can afford. CDP itself doesn't have console development skills unless it's done a ton of hiring that I've missed, so they're going to have to outsource. Fortunately, they're not interested in getting a half-arsed port out there, so if they do manage to find a company that can meet their standards, the port should be good.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Game's been unlocked on Steam for a little while now.
    Ocelot said:
    I think their major challenge is finding a company to do a competent port at a price CDP can afford. CDP itself doesn't have console development skills unless it's done a ton of hiring that I've missed, so they're going to have to outsource. Fortunately, they're not interested in getting a half-arsed port out there, so if they do manage to find a company that can meet their standards, the port should be good.

They were very unhappy with the White Wolf port for the original game, so I'm guessing if they do anything it'll be in-house this time. It sounds like the combat system would work fairly well on consoles since it's more firmly in the action-RPG style according to everything I've read.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I think more than anything else, I'm really interested to see how this game does commercially. CDProjeck are ignoring a whole load of conventional wisdom by releasing a DRM-free PC exclusive. It'll be pretty embarrassing if the game flops.
    edited May 2011
    They had over 100,000 pre-orders. I don't think it's going to be a flop sales wise. Not sure if it'll reach Dragon Age levels of sales though.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    If Atari is anything like Activision or EA, than it's a safe bet they will push for a multiplatform release of "The Witcher 2"; however, I'm aware a lot of PC devs. tend to have more freedom and better control of their IP's than console devs, and I don't really know the PC side of things. Does Atari have a history of pushing for console ports?
    edited May 2011
    Did Atari actually fund development for TW2? I thought they were just the North American distributor.

Atari has a pretty extensive history with PC exclusive RPGs, but the last big one of those was Neverwinter Nights 2.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I'll be getting this and a PC that can play it.

I really think they should release these on the consoles too though. They're really limiting Witcher's potential by being PC-only.
    Currently playing:
    Ys: The Ark of Naphishtim | Euro Truck Simulator 2 | Legend of Dragoon
    edited May 2011
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    Did Atari actually fund development for TW2? I thought they were just the North American distributor.

Atari has a pretty extensive history with PC exclusive RPGs, but the last big one of those was Neverwinter Nights 2.
    Yeah, Atari is just the NA distributor, so I doubt they'd have the ability to insist on any console ports. Namco Bandai is publishing in Europe, and the digital distro versions of the game are self-published.
    edited May 2011
    shoptroll said:
    They had over 100,000 pre-orders. I don't think it's going to be a flop sales wise. Not sure if it'll reach Dragon Age levels of sales though.

Well, that will be utterly impossible without console ports.
    edited May 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    Well, that will be utterly impossible without console ports.

Will it? A number of PC games have outsold DA2's 1 million (let's say 2 million since that figure is old for generosity). Whether or not The Witcher 2 has enough appeal to reach that number is a different matter entirely. If that's the case then console ports might help some.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    shoptroll said:
    Will it? A number of PC games have outsold DA2's 1 million (let's say 2 million since that figure is old for generosity). Whether or not The Witcher 2 has enough appeal to reach that number is a different matter entirely. If that's the case then console ports might help some.

They need to start a viral campaign boasting that The Witcher 2 shows boobs less than 5 minutes into the game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited May 2011
    7thCircle said:
    They need to start a viral campaign boasting that The Witcher 2 shows boobs less than 5 minutes into the game.

One of the trailers for the new one has boobage about 10 seconds in ;)

That said, the first one wasted no time getting a sex scene off its chest...
    edited May 2011
    They put Triss on the cover of Polish Playboy. I think they've hyped the sex scenes enough.
    edited May 2011
    It's funny, because there seems to be a fair bit *less* sex in TW2 than there was in the first game. There is, however, a fair bit of dirty song singing and a gross overuse of the word "ploughing." :)
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    Ocelot said:
    a gross overuse of the word "ploughing."
    Finally, a game that understands the plight of workers in rural farming areas!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited May 2011
    Quin said:
    Finally, a game that understands the plight of workers in rural farming areas!
    Well, yes. That too.
    edited May 2011
    It's funny, because there seems to be a fair bit *less* sex in TW2 than there was in the first game.
    Yeah, I've even managed to keep Geralt faithful to Triss so far. Better this way, the sex cards in the first game were kinda funny but also rather stupid.

The scene with
    Spoiler:
    Triss in the bath near the end of act one
    was quite a, uh, thing though.
    edited May 2011
    I don't think you could make a serious sex-scene with the character models from the first game, so better to implement it in a deliberately absurd way. The models in The Witcher 2 on the other hand look fantastic, and so reducing your conquests to two dimensional playing cards would seem out of place given their quality.
    edited May 2011
    hey, the art on those sex cards were pretty good.

....what?
    edited May 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    I don't think you could make a serious sex-scene with the character models from the first game
    I actually laughed / smiled bemusedly at the very first sex scene in the game. Hello ham!

Also, I still think Ken Levine is right about sex scenes in games... it's not much better than Team America. Although I don't think we should shy away from it, but I don't think we've gotten to the point where they feel terribly genuine/realistic yet. I dunno, something always feels off about them.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    The Doomhammer said:
    hey, the art on those sex cards were pretty good.

....what?
    Right, I think he was saying that since the character models were...questionable...at best, it was a good choice in the first game to use the cards. Whereas the models in the second game don't cry out for such a concession.
    edited May 2011
    yes, i know. You see I was joking.

It was a joke.

The joke was i stared at the tits a lot.