If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Avadon : The Black Fortress

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited June 2011 in Staff Review Blogs
avadon.gif

what is it?

The latest RPG from veteran indie developer Spiderweb Software. Currently available for Mac and Windows, and coming soon to iPad. It's a classic style PC RPG, similar to the likes of Baldur's Gate and Fallout.

avadon1.jpg
avadon2.jpg
avadon3.jpg
avadon4.jpg
avadon5.jpg
avadon6.jpg
avadon7.jpg
avadon8.jpg
avadon9.jpg

I'm already a good ways into the game, but I'll post some thoughts and impressions, and screenshots as I can continue to play. It may not have much in the way of looks, but this sucker is deep.

There's 4 classes to choose from, which fit (in a good way) the typical types of classes you'd expect from this kind of game. Thankfully, there's some interesting abilities that break from the norm (for example the thief type has an ability that let's him essentially teleport ahead a number of spaces, stunning this in the path).

More thoughts coming soon
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Played it for a bit and really enjoyed but, but then The Witcher 2 came out, so I've abandoned the game for the time being. Not gotten very far yet, does the combat get more challenging later on?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    Nim wrote: »
    Played it for a bit and really enjoyed but, but then The Witcher 2 came out, so I've abandoned the game for the time being. Not gotten very far yet, does the combat get more challenging later on?

It does! Very much so. What's nice is the game doesn't just increase the challenge by making enemies more difficult, it also throws some different scenarios at you. For example, the boss I just fought was a mage that teleports around the room, spawning (easier) enemies, and uses area of effect attacks that damage and slow your party. Thankfully I'm using a Shadow Walker (my character) and brought the mage and shaman, so I had plenty of long range firepower. It still took me 4 tries or so until I worked out an effective plan, and this is just on normal! Even so, if you're a veteran of this type of game you can probably go ahead and start with the higher difficulties.

The typical battles of course aren't always that difficult, but they challenge you enough, and I've died several times when trying to just plow through them. Since stamina (mp basically) can only be healed at the pylons that take you back to Avadon (and also with some potions), these battles become a challenge of carefully managing your stamina. Overall the difficulty curve has been quite nice, and the various difficulty settings are always a welcome option.
    sig.gif
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Nice. Sounds like I shouldn't worry, then. Felt what I played so far was a little on the easy side, but I was hoping it would get tougher, and now I need not worry!

For amyone who is not sure if the game is good enough, you could download the demo and try it out for yourselves. It's quite big. The beginning is the weakest part of the game, but it only gets better from there.
    edited May 2011
    The first quest is your usual "wipe up this sewer/dungeon etc. of monsters", but still does a nice job of setting up the story and gives you the opportunity to get used to the game. Once you get past that you go one your first quest, and things get good, not to mention you immediately begin to see the insane amount of sidequests.

The setting is very interesting so far. The nations are united in a pact, to keep the piece and prevent invasion from farlander foes. You run into a lot of things that show you the cost of such a pact. Looking forward to see what twists and turns things take.
    sig.gif
    edited May 2011
    On my first quest without using one of my favorite characters (which requires a character quests to get them back, but is too difficult at the moment). It's been tough to change up my strategies, but making my way through a tough dungeon right now, which requires dealing with enemies coming from all directions.
    sig.gif
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    How goes the progress with this game? Is it becoming slightly more challenging as it goes on?
    edited June 2011
    let me put it this way-in the interest of finishing it in a "timely" fashion, I've had to notch the difficulty down to casual :). This game gets quite challenging (mostly in a good way), and properly equipping your team with upgraded weapons and and potions and such is a must. Also stamina potions are a godsend. I believe I'm on the last or near to last quest, so we shall see how that goes.

I'm really liking the skill trees for the classes. Each of the 4 classes have a diverse set of skills that makes each of them powerful and useful. Also I have my healer back thankfully.
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Also-the regeneration buff in this game is the best buff, stock up on anything that gives it to you.
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Wizard's towers just make great dungeons in Fantasy RPGs. There's just so many interesting things designers can do with them. Avadon does not dissapoint.
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Well I totally thought that complex crazy Wizard tower was going to be the final dungeon. Of course it wasn't (it would have left the story in an odd spot). Not sure how much I have left. Off to fight some titans!
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Avadon2011052518415091.jpg

PS-This dude is scary
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Taking part in an assault on a titan fortress = good times had by all
    sig.gif
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Started playing this a few days ago. Finished the first major quest (the one with the dragon). So far, I'm running around with 2 mages and a summoner/healer - this will probably be problematic later on when enemies hit harder, but so far it's working well.

So far, I'm rather enjoying it. Took a couple hours before it started to click though.
    Check out upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, at http://cosmicstarheroine.com/
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, it certainly gets off to a slow start. I've been running around most of the game with the mage/healer and a shadow walker and have done well, just bring plenty of healing items. Be warned though, the vendor in Avadon only has 10 group heal scrolls for the whole game. Use them wisely.
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Now in a dungeon where I only have my main character along, which is quite tough, may have to back out and acquire more potions and upgrade my weaponry.
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Wow, now that is what I call an endgame!
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.