If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2 PS3 - 50 Screens, 19 Art, 1 Del. Packaging

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited May 2011 in Latest Updates
Massive metallic mauling awaits in these images taken from the upcoming Original Generation title. As is rarely the case, this game actually has a chance of release outside Japan, so await its Japanese issue with more hope than usual.
First the screens.
Then some art.
Last, an enormous box set with the Inspectors anime that will cost big bucks.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    It looks awesome but I can't put together what kind of game this is by looking at the screenshots. There aren't any gauges or button information displayed and EVERY scene has someone talking. So, are none of these screenshots of player-controlled actions? What type of gameplay does this game have?
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    LegendaryZoltan said:
    It looks awesome but I can't put together what kind of game this is by looking at the screenshots. There aren't any gauges or button information displayed and EVERY scene has someone talking. So, are none of these screenshots of player-controlled actions? What type of gameplay does this game have?
    It is a Fire Emblem-style tactical RPG with really flashy 2D-animated attack animations. All the screenshots are of said flashy attack animations, rather than the tactical grid map where player control takes place.

This game looks beautiful. It is nice to see all these familiar characters, plus a few I have never even seen art for before... Ariel Org and her Geist is a big surprise. So is the new Wild mech Latooni is piloting. And Altairlion, finally! I want this game so very much...
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited May 2011
    IF this makes it around this way I'll be preordering the second I see it~! That said, I won't hold my breath....
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    If you're wondering where I've been, I found out about this three days ago and have been in a perpetual state of squee for the rest of the time.

In other news:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, BANPRESTO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited May 2011
    Quin said:

i guess that's the point i was trying to make. :D
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    If we'd actually gotten the last to OGs games, I might actually have some hope. But alas, we didn't.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2011
    Quin said:

This ETERNALLY.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
    edited May 2011
    TwinBahamut said:
    It is a Fire Emblem-style tactical RPG with really flashy 2D-animated attack animations.
    [video=youtube;7cy6DW7nReo]

When we say "flashy", we mean it.

Since SRT is usually tied to a "included series" list, the animators spend a lot of time making sure the animations for each robot are faithful to the series they come from, and as the series in general rumbled into the PS2 era, they refined this down to a goddamn art form. However, since the Original Generations stuff are things they've basically invented from scratch, it allows them to do some really funky stuff with both their unit design and their animations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Under watcher Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I can even see Bandai releasing model kits.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited May 2011
    LordKaiser said:
    I can even see Bandai releasing model kits.

For some reason, a lot of the SRT stuff is actually done by Kotobukiya. I've got several of their kits already. Bandai makes money hand over fist with Gundam anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    I still have never seen an Angelg model. And that makes me very, very sad.
  • randal77randal77 well well, look who it is Full Members
    edited May 2011
    SUPER ROBOT WARS SUPER ROBOT WARS

YOU BETTER TRANSLATE THIS ONE INTO ENGLISH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Also more models sounds good too.

...wait, the title is SRW:OG2 ? So this is another remake of the GBA one we've already played?
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy
    edited May 2011
    randal77 said:
    。..wait, the title is SRW:OG2 ? So this is another remake of the GBA one we've already played?

No. The two GBA OG games were redone as "SRT Original Generations" on the PS2. So this is following on from that and Original Generations Gaiden.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • randal77randal77 well well, look who it is Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Man, that's a relief.

Time to go back to shouting TAKE MY MONEY BANPRESTO! TAKE IT!
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    I have very mixed feeling about kotobukiya model kits, I keep hoping bandai will recalim the toy rights so I can get an mg alt eisen.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited May 2011
    Based on the pictures with Hugo and Aqua visibly doing things, it looks like OG Gaiden really should've been called OG 3 instead. Which would make this OG 4... nah, I don't need the headache, it still makes a lot more sense than a lot of movie series anyway. Go Banpresto, make the first PS3 entry shine.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • IdhilsynIdhilsyn New Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I have to say, I find it impressive that there are 50 screens available, and not a single one of them gives an idea of the gameplay. xD

I get that it's a strategy after reading everyone's comments/watching that video, but I still find it humorous.
    edited May 2011
    I suspect that you can chalk it up to SRW being such an institution that EVERYONE knows exactly what kind of gameplay SRW has. At least, everyone in Japan.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    It would be nice if this got released overseas. I really enjoyed the two on the GBA.
  • HJ+HJ+ Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2011
    Sadly I don't think there's any chance of this game being localized, so I won't play it. Shame, because I loved the two OGs on the GBA.
    edited May 2011
    Idhilsyn said:
    I have to say, I find it impressive that there are 50 screens available, and not a single one of them gives an idea of the gameplay. xD

I get that it's a strategy after reading everyone's comments/watching that video, but I still find it humorous.
    at this point, the series has really hit its groove in terms of gameplay, I don't think they've really added anything big to the franchise in years. so anyone already familiar knows what to expect and is more interested in featured robots.

Sorta like Madden, really.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. It sounds cool. I would be happy if they just put the text in English and left the voices. So I take it this game is more fun if you know about all the robots before you play it? Yeah, I can't find a list of the robots. Does anyone know of one?
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited May 2011
    You would be well-advised to go play either the two Original Generation games on GBA (that Atlus actually localized) or the PS2 Original Generations and Original Generation Gaiden if in fact nothing here seems familiar. The plots for these games are not exactly great literature swimming with incisive prose for the ages, but dropping right into the middle of the story with no preparatory work is a good recipe for confusion.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I will want this game
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    at this point, the series has really hit its groove in terms of gameplay, I don't think they've really added anything big to the franchise in years. so anyone already familiar knows what to expect and is more interested in featured robots.

Sorta like Madden, really.
    Well... SRW Neo had a lot of massive changes to the standard SRW formula. A lot of really interesting changes, too. People seem to forget that game exists, though. Maybe it was the criminally poor 3D graphics...
    edited May 2011
    TwinBahamut said:
    Maybe it was the criminally poor 3D graphics...

My money is on this.
    LegendaryZoltan said:
    Yeah. It sounds cool. I would be happy if they just put the text in English and left the voices. So I take it this game is more fun if you know about all the robots before you play it? Yeah, I can't find a list of the robots. Does anyone know of one?
    The Gate of Magus is probably the most complete list of Banpresto Originals, although it's still a little out of date and the categories are still going to be confusing to first time players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    I once promised JuMeSyn that I'd actually play a Super Robot Taisen game once I'd worked through my backlog. Will this be that game? ::looks at Steam list::

Highly doubtful!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    I still have never seen an Angelg model. And that makes me very, very sad.

Don't know who made it, but drool

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/Angelg-12.jpg
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
    edited May 2011
    edited May 2011
    LegendaryZoltan said:
    Yeah, I can't find a list of the robots. Does anyone know of one?
    well it's an OG title so no licensed mechs, but bet on a bunch of new grungust, gespenst, and huckebein variants.