If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The ESRB Reveals Final Fantasy V for PSN

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited June 2011 in Latest Updates
Once again, the ESRB is a wonderful fountain of leaks concerning future releases and descriptions of sprite cleavage. This time they have posted all of the dirt on Final Fantasy V, so come see it for yourself.

[Link]

Comments

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    If it's the same as the Europe (which appeared on PSN last month, don't see why it wouldn't be) then it's going to be the PS1 version (it's got the Anthology logo on my PS3/PSP anyway).

Also ESRB descriptions of games are great.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited May 2011
    MEH! Not remake = No buy. I still got FF Anthology discs.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited May 2011
    The GBA version of FFV is the one I own. Never having compared it to the PS1 version personally, I can only go off hearsay that proclaims it better-translated, without load times, with some nice extra jobs, and overall the better of the two English releases.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Severin Mira said:
    If it's the same as the Europe (which appeared on PSN last month, don't see why it wouldn't be) then it's going to be the PS1 version (it's got the Anthology logo on my PS3/PSP anyway).

Also ESRB descriptions of games are great.

I just recently discovered the joy of reading ESRB descriptions with The Witcher 2 console leak post. Awesome. It's like reading the Cliff Notes of all the dirty stuff in a game.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    I find it curious how FFV Advance got an E rating when it had everything the T rated FFV PSX did, including this boss referred to in the ESRB description, completely unedited.
  • Zaku77Zaku77 Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Given that the GBA version of this and VI have extra stuff, I don't see the big deal with these being released. It would be much more exciting to have the "Advance" version to play on a big screen. (Although with the gameboy player that is indeed possible =D)
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDestroyer77?feature=mhee
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Typho said:
    I just recently discovered the joy of reading ESRB descriptions with The Witcher 2 console leak post. Awesome. It's like reading the Cliff Notes of all the dirty stuff in a game.

The only thing better for unintentional humour is (imo) the Nintendo download press releases.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha. That boss' breasts aren't covered by cloth! That's a snake! I haven't finished it and since I have completed 6-13, I kind of feel obligated to try again. Then I can add another one to the list.

And the Witcher 2 is coming to consoles?! How come that wasn't released as news? JOYJOYJOY!
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    Jungyin said:
    I find it curious how FFV Advance got an E rating when it had everything the T rated FFV PSX did, including this boss referred to in the ESRB description, completely unedited.
    Maybe it's the FMVs that were added to the PS1 version? I don't think there is much in there that would be any worse than that one sprite, but it is hard to tell with the ESRB.
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    LegendaryZoltan said:
    Hahaha. That boss' breasts aren't covered by cloth! That's a snake! I haven't finished it and since I have completed 6-13, I kind of feel obligated to try again. Then I can add another one to the list.

And the Witcher 2 is coming to consoles?! How come that wasn't released as news? JOYJOYJOY!

In reference to the Witcher 2 comment, the REASON it hasn't been mentioned is because CD Project RED still hasn't committed themselves to the project as of late. They WANT to possibly do it, but nothing has been etched in stone yet... although why they don't just let Bandai/Namco release it like they did the PC version, I'll never know.
    edited May 2011
    TwinBahamut said:
    Maybe it's the FMVs that were added to the PS1 version? I don't think there is much in there that would be any worse than that one sprite, but it is hard to tell with the ESRB.
    The PS1 version IS the one with the cutscenes, yes. Just as it did for VI and IV and Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger reference: I'll never forgive the DS version for cutting out MOST if not ALL of the cutscenes out but oddly enough, they kept the opening cutscene? Curious.

Did Amano-san ever have any art for Faris, and what she REALLY is supposed to look like? I get the feeling it could be really interesting! ^_^
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited May 2011
    reionpremente said:
    The PS1 version IS the one with the cutscenes, yes. Just as it did for VI and IV and Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger reference: I'll never forgive the DS version for cutting out MOST if not ALL of the cutscenes out but oddly enough, they kept the opening cutscene? Curious.

Did Amano-san ever have any art for Faris, and what she REALLY is supposed to look like? I get the feeling it could be really interesting! ^_^

...Oh boy... Did he ever draw art of her! Faris is his second favorite character to design for. While he didn't quite go overboard like he did with Terra, Amano made numerous Faris designs and poses:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Faris#Gallery
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2011
    LegendaryZoltan said:
    It'll be reported as news as soon as it is actually news.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • ZbornakZbornak Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    LegendaryZoltan said:

CD Projekt has said their will be a new Witcher game announced at E3 and that "console gamers might be interested in it". It's very likely that the game is The Witcher 2 for consoles, but it could also be an entirely new game designed for consoles.
    Get your Portable ID!
    edited May 2011
    Clix said:
    ...Oh boy... Did he ever draw art of her! Faris is his second favorite character to design for. While he didn't quite go overboard like he did with Terra, Amano made numerous Faris designs and poses:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Faris#Gallery
    She looks oddly like Celes. ^_^ Not that there's a problem with that... I've always felt sympathetic for her though. But Faris was pretty good looking. It sure doesn't show very much in the game sadly. I would've liked to see her look like THAT in the game SOMEWHERE. *sigh* I'm honestly amazed Bartz didn't go after her. ~_^
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2011
    FF5 on the PSN? Score! A shame the script from the GBA version won't be in there. I did love to see Bartz' intelligence getting poked fun at constantly.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Well as always with these games I'm not interested since I already own a copy or two, but my hope is a lot of newer FF fans will go back and play the old ones just like I did after I got initiated by FFVII.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    here we go with the bad translation again(I've played both)...oh and possibly randomly locking up on the save screen as this is what my PS3 does when I try to play the disk version. I don't know if the emu ISO version will do this tho...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • EmperorZornEmperorZorn Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Its really sad that they currently live off re-releases of their very old games.

This shows that they dont really know how to make games of such caliber anymore,
    and that they are desperately clinging to the success they had in the past. :(
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited May 2011
    how good is ff V compaired to VI ?
    Trance Radiance Infinity

• JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited May 2011
    That depends entirely on how important messing around with the Job system is to you. If switching your characters' abilities around as you get new ones and getting into tons of fights to do so might addict you in any way, FFV is great. That's how I am, so it hooked me for a long time. If you demand a narrative on par with FFVI's, the likelihood is very high you'll be disappointed, and the lackluster translation FFV got in this version certainly won't help matters.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the narrative of V is very simplistic.

But, for me at least, that was more than made up for by the ability of my mages to punch as hard as monks.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2011
    EmeraldSuzaku said:
    Yeah, the narrative of V is very simplistic.

But, for me at least, that was more than made up for by the ability of my mages to punch as hard as monks.

Pretty much this. Imagine the Final Fantasy Tactics battle system and the mixing/matching of ability types there, and you got the Job system of FF5 in a nutshell. Well, save for the fact that you gain new abilities through job levels, which thankfully has nowhere near the amount that FF3 has (I hated that job system in FF3...SO BADLY!)
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I think it's a lot like FF1 or 3 with a better story, though that's not saying much. 6 is, I'd claim, the better game by far, as while 5 has good gameplay it has a weak narrative, and 6 has both good gameplay and a strong narrative (relatively speaking, we've come a long way since then).

Of course, I wouldn't ask anyone's opinion but form my own, and that's what I recommend everyone to do.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux