If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Witcher 2 Coming to Xbox 360 This Year

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited September 2011 in Latest Updates
In less-than-shocking yet pleasing news, The Witcher 2 has been announced for the Xbox 360. Console gamers can finally enjoy this series, a favourite of RPGamer's PC gaming staffers.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    We're all thinking it so I'll go ahead and ask it....they aren't going to censor the boobs are they?
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    According to the ESRB there are breasts and Pubic hair. The question is did they cout down on the amount of each for the console release.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    Well, they're saying they want to deliver the same experience as they did to PC gamers, so...
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Ocelot said:
    Well, they're saying they want to deliver the same experience as they did to PC gamers, so...

But someone is going to complain if there's not the same amount of hair in each version.

Priorities you know?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    There's breasts and pubic hair in LA Noire too, so I doubt they'd be forced to cut it out.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Ah, yes. The censoring bush from the wild Outback. I have to say, I did a triple take and started laughing when saw my first one in LA Noire.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I like their quote regarding the issue: "It's not how big the textures are, it's how you use them".
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2011
    Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want.
    edited June 2011
    On a somewhat related note, the 1.2 patch arrives tomorrow. I don't think I've seen a company this dedicated to patching their game since Arrowhead and Magicka.
    edited June 2011
    OMG, the new patch has DLC that lets me play with Geralt's flowing white mane! I think I'll wait a while before I do my second playthrough, to see what (free!) DLC they put out over the next few months.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I wonder how much the graphics will have to be pared back? I'm playing with most of them maxed out, and am having a hard time picturing Witcher 2 on the 360.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • EmperorZornEmperorZorn Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I was a bit sad at first, for I was hoping for a new franchise when they talked about a huge announcement.
    But I'm glad that console gamers get to enjoy the Witcher 2 aswell in the near future ! :D

The more scary announcement at their presentation was that EA got involved in GoG.com, run by the same guys;
    I fear that their next step might be reaching out for the Witcher franchise, seeing how well it sells
    and I dont fancy the thought of Witcherville Facebook games. :P
    edited June 2011
    Is CD Projeckt a public or private company? I really hope EA don't DA2 the Witcher! (though of course Activision also have games on GOG)

As for the 360 announcement, well CD Projeckt need to make a good return on their 3-4 years of development time if they are to continue making fantastic RPGs.
    edited June 2011
    EmperorZorn said:
    The more scary announcement at their presentation was that EA got involved in GoG.com, run by the same guys;
    I fear that their next step might be reaching out for the Witcher franchise, seeing how well it sells
    and I dont fancy the thought of Witcherville Facebook games. :P

I wouldn't worry about it. CD Projeckt is a privately owned company and they're merely a distributor for legacy titles, aside from The Witcher which is their in-house franchise. Both Activision and EA have titles on GoG and Steam, and neither of them have succumbed.

The EA deal is basically a distribution agreement which authorizes GoG to sell old EA games in addition to making any alterations for making the games run on current computers (usually just slapping DOSBox and the game in a custom installer). Nothing to worry about at all.
  • RosestormRosestorm Host of The Sectorcast Full Members
    edited June 2011
    shoptroll said:
    On a somewhat related note, the 1.2 patch arrives tomorrow. I don't think I've seen a company this dedicated to patching their game since Arrowhead and Magicka.

Your forgetting their complete revamp of the witcher 1 with the enhanced edition.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited June 2011
    I have mixed emotions about this. If I try to look at it objectively then it's pretty undeniably a "good thing". But from a personal perspective I am filled with regret. Regret that for the last six months or so I have pared back on game purchases, rounds of golf, and *gasp* even my drinking, all in an effort to purchase a new pc sometime this fall with one of the primary motivating factors being a desire to play this game (as well as it's predecessor). A wasted effort at a spartan lifestyle when I could have been my usual bacchanalian self.:confused2:
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited June 2011
    360 Witcher 2 won't come close to matching the game on PC, I'd say it's still worth it to experience the game without heavily compromised visuals and framerate.

I also bought a new PC, and certainly don't regret it.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2011
    SiliconNooB said:
    Is CD Projeckt a public or private company? I really hope EA don't DA2 the Witcher! (though of course Activision also have games on GOG)
    You are safe, Atari is the NA publisher for The Witcher, not EA. EA just signed on with GOG.com, not for publishing CDP's stuff.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Sharkey360Sharkey360 Member Full Members
    edited June 2011
    Nice to know that The Witcher 2 is 360-bound.
  • reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Wheels said:
    We're all thinking it so I'll go ahead and ask it....they aren't going to censor the boobs are they?

Probably... they did in the PC version... and even there, they put that painting of the girl right in front of her. Even with the Director's Cut, it was like Dragon Age and Mass Effect... you didn't really get to see much. Having not played 2 yet, I'm still sort of debating whether I should get this or the PC version. Of course, if you REALLY have to see that, there is a crack for Dragon Age. But, you don't really NEED that. Just saying... it IS fixable. But unfortunately, all of those types of things don't exist for Mass Effect 2. And anyway... as far as I know The Witcher 2 might or might not have them censored. But seeing how even CD Projekt couldn't surpass the ESRB the first time around, I don't know how they'll get away with it for 2... so there's your answer... in a nut shell... I could be wrong about this, but...
    Sharkey360 said:
    Nice to know that The Witcher 2 is 360-bound.
    I still wonder WHY the PS3 wasn't even considered for a version... but then again, I got The Witcher on PC and I'll probably do the same for 2. I like the 360 just fine, but it's just the principle of the thing...

Mod Edit: Double post merged. There's a lonely edit button sitting there. Use it next time. - shoptroll
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Why would they censor it just for the console release? Anyone with XBOX Live would be exposed to twats on a regular basis.
    edited July 2011
    reionpremente said:
    Probably... they did in the PC version... and even there, they put that painting of the girl right in front of her. Even with the Director's Cut, it was like Dragon Age and Mass Effect... you didn't really get to see much. And anyway... as far as I know The Witcher 2 might or might not have them censored. But seeing how even CD Projekt couldn't surpass the ESRB the first time around, I don't know how they'll get away with it for 2... so there's your answer... in a nut shell... I could be wrong about this, but...
    The Witcher 2 is more explicit than The Witcher 1 in terms of the animated sex scenes, but the PC version is not censored at all in any country, except for one minor change in the Australian version. And with the original version of The Witcher 1, CDProjekt censored the North American version pre-emptively before submitting it to the ESRB. In later free downloads, they removed all that censorship anyway. So basically, the ESRB had nothing to do with the censorship in TW1.

Right now, The Witcher 2 is rated M by the ESRB, and the company has no intention of trying to get a lower age rating on the game for the console version. Besides the sexual content, there is a ton of other stuff that makes the game M-rated for a reason. If the game has already been approved for the Xbox 360, I doubt it'll be censored on that console. Besides, from what I've heard of God of War, I don't think The Witcher is any worse.

For fun, here's the ESRB description of The Witcher 2:
    This is a role-playing game in which players assume the role of Geralt, a monster slayer who must hunt down an assassin to clear his own name. As players complete quests, they use swords and magic spells to kill enemy soldiers and fantastical creatures (e.g., specters, harpies, spider-like monsters) in melee-style combat; attacks are often accompanied by slashing sounds and screams of pain. Blood-splatter effects occur when enemies are hit, and damage sometimes results in dismemberment or decapitation—blood stains and body parts occasionally appear in the environment. Other cutscenes depict gore and more intense acts of violence: a close-up view of a severed head; a restrained woman's eyes getting gouged out (off-screen); a character being castrated (not depicted) before his throat is slit. During the course of the game, some female characters are depicted topless; there is also a fleeting image of pubic hair as a woman dives into the water. Players can initiate brief cutscene sequences that depict varying degrees of sexual activity: a topless woman rocking on top of man; a man caressing a woman's back; a man pushing up against a woman's posterior—sexual moaning sounds can be heard, though the camera cuts away from explicit sexual acts. Some sequences depict a cocaine-like substance being cut into lines; another scene shows a man's back as he snorts the substance. Language such as 'f**k,' 'sh*t,' and 'c*nt' can be heard in the dialogue.
    Aww. They forgot language such as "ploughing."
    edited July 2011
    reionpremente said:
    I still wonder WHY the PS3 wasn't even considered for a version... but then again, I got The Witcher on PC and I'll probably do the same for 2. I like the 360 just fine, but it's just the principle of the thing...

I guess finding a publisher is a factor in regards to PS3.
    edited July 2011
    Sharkey360 said:
    I guess finding a publisher is a factor in regards to PS3.

I believe the only confirmed publisher right now is THQ for the European release on the 360. There might be some technical issue that is preventing them from porting the engine from Windows/360 to PS3.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited July 2011
    Since I'm kind of a reluctant PC gamer (only exclusives) I'll definitely hold out for the 360 version. Will even give me time to play the first one.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of Dragoon | Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin | Samurai Warriors 4| Metro: Last Light Redux
    edited September 2011
    Too bad The Witcher 2 is coming out in 2012 for Xbox 360. I hope the developers will be able to maximize the added time to optimize the game for the console.